PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with Overnight Oiling...

Kaya
April 12th, 2011, 06:44 PM
How do you handle it?

The reason I'm asking is cause I would like to try it, but I've always oiled dry hair during the day and CO washed it out at night before bed.
My worries with oiling at night is that it will get all over the pillowcase and blanket and all over my face, which doesn't seem to like having excess oil on it. I just feel like everything would be greasy. And I'm not much for hair caps or anything like that.
But, there are two factors that have made me consider doing the opposite.

-I do the Insanity exercise program each morning and I sweat like there is no tomorrow. I rinse off in the shower afterwards, but I don't wash my hair, so the sweat sits on my scalp until day's end. (I've tried working out at night, right before my normal evening shower, but I need to do it on a completely empty stomach. Otherwise, I risk puking my guts up.) I think this is causing some issues up there, mainly some itching and greasiness. I oil both my scalp and hair, so I feel maybe I'm sealing in that sweat residue and it's irritating my scalp. :( (If I switch to overnight oil, I can simply wash my hair after working out and be done with it for the day.)
-The hubby is coming home from a 6-month deployment, and has no idea what he is walking into with my new hair care regime, which I started while he was gone. I have a sneaking suspicion that he won't appreciate me having oiled hair every day. Hence, maybe switching to night oiling.

krissykins
April 12th, 2011, 06:52 PM
I usually put my hair in a bun and put it in a cap or a scarf or something to cover it that I don't mind getting oily.

It normally doesn't get oily, though.

Lifezbeautiful
April 12th, 2011, 06:59 PM
I do oiling and leave it overnight too. DH does like it much, but...........Anyway I noticed I have to wash my face many times during the day because I feel so oily. I dont care much about my pillowcase. But I think a cap will keep the heat locked in enabling more circulation and absorption.

littlenvy
April 12th, 2011, 07:03 PM
YAY for Insanity!! :) Its my second time around. This time I'm not making myself as crazy with it and I'm working out only 5 days a week.

As for hair, I oil, braid, put up around my head and then put one of those cheep platic bath caps over it. (they are not too tight) Then I put a towel on my pillow and off to sleep I go. No problem.
Hubby laughs but doesn't mind it one bit. He says he likes it a bit better than having my hair always in his face or hearing me yell 'my HAIR, my HAIR! watch it!" :eyebrows:

LongHairAffair
April 12th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I put mine in a bun as well.. Sometimes I will use a shower cap if I use oil. Hope that helps!

CaityBear
April 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I always do deep oilings overnight. I saturate my hair a bit before bedtime and braid my hair. I do it early enough that some of it can soak in. Then i just throw a towel over my pillow, throw braid over my pillow and done deal. Never had a problem with it.

Nae
April 12th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I am lazy I guess, I just put coconut oil in it and braid it. I never noticed any oil on my pillow. As long as the oiled braid isn't touching my neck then the oil doesn't irritate me at all. Most of the oil seems to soak in over night.

Lostsoule77
April 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM
I'm with Nae. I do the same exact thing. I only do it once a week the night before wash day, but I have never noticed the oil on my pillowcase, sheet, or clothing. I do a such a heavy oiling that I would think it should come off, but it never does.

silverjen
April 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I always oil at night, and it doesn't seem to be a problem, as long as I don't put too much on. It's like my hair grabs on to the oil, so it doesn't get all over the place.

That said, I do change my pillowcase frequently, which may help. And I put my oiled hair up in the world's messiest bun on the top of my head. NOT the sexiest look, so it may not be what you what your newly-returned husband to see!

silverstars
April 12th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I usually braid my hair and pin it to the back of my head up the middle. Then I take a bandana (could also use an old scarf) and tie it so that it covers all of my hair.

chopandchange
April 12th, 2011, 07:48 PM
You exercise so much that you make yourself puke?

Whatever you're doing, it certainly must be rather Insane.

On topic: oil on pillows and cheeks is Not Good. If you have the sort of skin that breaks out at the slightest brush of oil, avoid!

dollface
April 12th, 2011, 07:56 PM
for me it depends on how much oil i use, if i go for broke and totally saturate my hair then i use a shower cap but if i use less i just put towels on my pillow and sleep with my hair loose or loosely bunned.

MiamiPineapple
April 12th, 2011, 09:32 PM
I workout 6 days a week doing boxing and weights and I am also a part time trainer. I sweat a lot and have VERY oily skin. I have been doing alot of co-washing but when my scalp starts to get itchy from the sweat and oil, I wash just the roots and place conditioner on the ends while I am washing.

I believe that if you really workout a lot, you need to remove the "gunk" from your scalp in order for it to be healthy. At least once or twice a week. My hair feels so much healthier after a good scalp scrub.

gogirlanime
April 12th, 2011, 10:49 PM
I know how you feel girl because I use M-T-G oil and that stuff STINKS. I always wrap it up in a bun and use a thick scarf I made out of satin (so it doesn't rub against my hair or pull it so hard) then I put two towels over my pillow one horizontally (I wrap it up and put the ends behind the pillow) then the other one vertically and I let that one lie flat so if my head slides down at night it will just slide off but onto the bottom of the towel.

Kaya
April 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
You exercise so much that you make yourself puke?

Whatever you're doing, it certainly must be rather Insane.

On topic: oil on pillows and cheeks is Not Good. If you have the sort of skin that breaks out at the slightest brush of oil, avoid!

:lol: Fortunately, I haven't actually puked after doing Insanity. It is very intense, (i.e. lots of jumping, running and level changes) and I've found that if I have anything in my stomach, I get progessively more nauseated during the workout, to the point that if I don't stop, I really will lose my dinner. So it's better if I do first thing in the morning. Plus, it helps me wake up and get moving for the day.
Yeah, I can break out a bit if I leave oils on my face, mainly around the hairline. Generally it's not too bad, but I hate getting breakouts! :( It's easy enough to wipe off the excess oil when I'm up and about during the day, but at night is an entirely different story.

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 11:24 AM
I oil the length (but not the scalp area; it gets oily enough all by itself) then do a top-of-head sleep braid (as usual). It hasn't been staining my pillowcases that I can see.

Firefox7275
April 13th, 2011, 01:01 PM
I don't like shower caps because I find they rustle too much. Instead I use a plastic pedal bin liner, gathering the excess at the forehead and tie off with a hair elastic. Then over that a microfibre turban to keep it warm. There is a little leakage, which I can see because it is pink (hair is dyed red). :o

AshNight1214
April 13th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I oil and french braid my hair. I have one side of my pillow for "oiling nights" and flip it for "non-oiling nights." I've never had a problem as long as I wash my pillowcase about every week.