i've been wondering if i waste too much conditioner. so:

how long is your hair?
how thick?
and how much conditioner do you use??

jojo
April 12th, 2011, 05:52 PM
i've been wondering if i waste too much conditioner. so:

how long is your hair? just short of waist
how thick? I think its just over 4" circumference, my hair is thickish but my strands are baby fine
and how much conditioner do you use??
I co wash so a few handfulls but on my shampoo day i just use a hanful of length only

HintOfMint
April 12th, 2011, 06:51 PM
My hair is almost at hip and thick, and I CWC, so I use approximately 7 palmfuls total (a conservative estimate) of conditioner. Granted, I have tiny hamster hands, so take that with a grain of salt. Still, I go through conditioner like water.

twopoints
April 12th, 2011, 07:09 PM
APL-BSL layered. ~4 inches ponytail circumference. i use a quarter-sized dollop of coney conditioner on chin and down. I add conditioner to my hair, shampoo the scalp, then rinse it out.

|Xei
April 13th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Usually around a palmful. My hair is heavily layered and hip length.

chicken
April 13th, 2011, 05:56 AM
I need a good palm full of lieght conditioner or half a palm full of heavy conditioner. My hair is waist long and thick.

Firefox7275
April 13th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I use leave-in conditioner or sometimes wash off as leave-in, volume equivalent to the top joint of the thumb. It is quicker, more economical and better for the environment as you use less hot water and a bottle of conditioner lasts ages! I could use less if I diluted to get even coverage; having said that my hair has never been longer than BSL so this may all change!

Anje
April 13th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Tailbone and fairly thin (2.5" circumference). When I CO wash I use about 3 single-hand handfuls, give or take. On the relatively infrequent occasions that I use shampoo, I tend to use about 2 handfuls because it seems to spread further and because I'm not as concerned with getting the condish to cover my scalp.

It seems like different conditioners spread differently. I'm using the cheapy Suave, which is fairly thin. Thicker ones seem to need less for coverage.

Monsterkitti
April 13th, 2011, 08:31 AM
My hair is waist length and I use 1 - 2 handfuls of conditioner, I WC

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Waist length. before BSL I didn't measure my condish in palmfuls but now I do. when I CO I need 2 palmfuls for scalp, and an additional one or two for ends. For the ends, if I see it detangled, I can use very little, but if I need to spread the whole bottle to detangle, then so be it! I've used half a bottle of Garnier or a quarter-sized dollop of Alverde.

Lianna
April 13th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Depends a lot on the conditioner for me, and if I'm just conditioning or CO washing. I'm just past shoulder and quite thick, for CO washing I'd need three handfulls with a conditioner that spreads easily (when I eventually CO is coneless). Just conditioning with a coney conditioner one handful is enough.

ETA: If I was washing 1-2 times a week I wouldn't worry about using a lot of conditioner, but since I wash everyday I can't be using that much for CO.

skyblue
April 13th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I CWC too, I use a full palm full on my crown and another on my length rinse, wash just the crown, then another full palm of a second condish on my length after rinsing the first, sometimes another half on my ends also, it really depends on the conditioner some brands just suck up and I then need more and my hair is f/m and thin lol

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 10:15 AM
I use 3 bottles of conditioner for every bottle of shampoo (CWC with diluted shampoo).

BrightEyes7
April 13th, 2011, 10:43 AM
I use a lot of conditioner. Like 3-4 handfulls each wash.

I do have a lot of hair though, waist length and pretty thick.

KittyLost
June 21st, 2011, 02:05 AM
My hair is just past shoulder, I use a lot of conditioner. I cwc and it's usually a small handful of conditioner each time on my head. When my hair isn't layered and a lot thicker I use a bit more.

Oksana
June 21st, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm CO washing at the moment and use about 3-4 palmful of conditioner.

flourish
June 21st, 2011, 08:33 AM
My hair is just to my shoulders and is over 4" circumference and I generally use about half a palmful of conditioner. I might end up not using all of it depending on how nasty or nice my tips feel that day.

Madora
June 21st, 2011, 08:45 AM
For my thickness and length, I use a diluted tablespoon of George Michael's Pink Shampoo for the first shampoo (to remove dirt)

For the second shampoo (to cleanse more) I do the same

For conditioner, I use a tablespoon of the GM creme conditioner, diluted with 8 oz of warm water.

You do not need a lot of shampoo (lather) to cleanse your hair. I've always had a major task rinsing out the shampoo and conditioner because my hair was very thick (years ago) and is still moderately thick in my 65th year:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/1215Hairlength.jpg

LoversLullaby
June 21st, 2011, 08:51 AM
I use about 2 palmfuls of conditioner everytime I CO wash. My hair is extremely thick at APL. Since I only wash every 4-5 days that much of cheap conditioner is no big deal :)

QueenJoey
June 21st, 2011, 09:01 AM
I use a about 2 palmfuls on my length, and about half a palmful of lighter stuff on my scalp when I CO. My hair is fine/medium and mid back length.

RitaCeleste
June 21st, 2011, 09:23 AM
At least a palm full. I'm sneaky about it, I apply a little at a time and just keep going back for more. I have found I can co-wash it and just apply my good conditioner lightly as a leave in and oil my hair and use a lot less than conditioning and rinsing a second time. I use Honeysuckle Rose and coconut oil to deep condition my dry hair before I wash it if it has really gone to pot. I color, so no way around using tons of conditioners and a few protein treatments.

bluesnowflake
June 21st, 2011, 09:28 AM
My hair is just at hip and fairly thick. I use about a quarter-size amount for the first C in CWC and about half a palmful for the second one. I used to use a full palm but realized a lot of it was dripping out and I could probably use less.

torrilin
June 21st, 2011, 09:35 AM
3" circumference, fine hair, elbow/waist length.

A dime size amount of shampoo diluted for a scalp wash - pretty much any clarifying type shampoo works here. I have hard water, so SLS or SLeS is fine. A dilute apple cider vinegar rinse after, to prevent hard water build up. A dime to quarter sized dollop of Alba Botanica leave in conditioner.

I can use other routines, but this one is very minimal on added fragrance, and I seem to be a lot more fragrance reactive these days. And the Alba Botanica conditioner is somewhat pricey but more than makes up for it by how little I need to use. I can stretch washes for 2-4 days with this routine, tho vinegar rinses help a lot when I get my hair wet.

pepperminttea
June 21st, 2011, 09:37 AM
An inch or two above hip length (37"), thick end of average (3.8" circumference). I SC normally, with diluted shampoo, and I use two heaped palmfuls of conditioner. I only use cheap stuff these days, so I'm insanely generous - I like to get it to the point where it feels slimy and completely saturated.

janeytilllie
June 21st, 2011, 09:43 AM
How long is your hair?
My hair is currently BSL+ very near waist.
How thick?
The last time I measured i think I was 3.5" circumference.
How much conditioner do you use??
I shampoo, condition and then leave in conditioner.
I use about 2 palmfuls of conditioner and use about 2 pumps of leave in conditioner.

Jcv-Shelley
June 21st, 2011, 09:57 AM
How long is your hair?
A little below APL

How thick?
I haven't measured in a while but try to picture a fairly good rope

How much Conditioner?
When I CO I use a squirt a little bit smaller than a half dollar, only because I can clean my hair as a WO; but miss the smell of conditioner. Most others use much more than me.

ladyfey
June 21st, 2011, 10:00 AM
probably about 3 palmfuls for knee length hair for me.

MissManda
June 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
How long is your hair?
My hair is about 27.5-28" long, which is lower-back length for me (between Waist and Hip).

How thick?
I'd say fairly thick overall ponytail wise and very thick for a fine-haired person like me. My ponytail measures between 4-4.25". I have some layers left, but my length has become pretty thick overall since I've been self-trimming.

How much Conditioner?
I prefer to CO-wash, so I use quite a bit. To cleanse my scalp, I will fill a condiment bottle about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way with a thicker conditioner, fill the rest with water and shake. It's much easier to scrub in and prevents me from using too much. This will last me about two, maybe three CO-washes. Then I will spread the diluted conditioner down my length and apply one to three palmfuls of full-on conditioner to my length to moisturize. It totally depends on the kind of conditioner and what my hair needs at the time. With some of the ultra-thick conditioners/balms, I only need a diluted teaspoon amount.

When I did CWC, I'd use a palmful for my first C and two palmfuls for my second C.

My hair thrives on conditioner. :p

PianoPlaye
June 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
How long is your hair?
My hair is BSL with wisps towards the waist but not there yet.
How thick?
Very thin about 2" circumference? Thinner than 2 fingers anyway.
How much conditioner do you use?
I get the seriously cheap supermarket own brand conditioner & use at least two palmfuls. If I use the thicker lusher stuff, one palmful. It hadn't occured to me to dilute it down. (D'oh!)

Issmene
June 21st, 2011, 02:59 PM
My hair is shoulder length, pretty thick (4,5 inch), coarse and dry and I use about a palmful.

Sweet Beat
June 21st, 2011, 03:26 PM
My hair is almost classic/classic and quite thick. I use about two table spoons, I think.

battles
June 21st, 2011, 03:48 PM
I'm about shoulder length, I barely use any. I made a bottle of diluted conditioner, I just do a tiny squirt of that into my palm. My hair would hate me if I used more. :shrug:

Shoga
June 21st, 2011, 05:06 PM
My hair is at waist and I use about an inch wide circle and it only goes on my length (my scalp and roots hate it). I use it 2-3 times a week so it takes me a little while to get through a bottle, which is great, saves me money to get a more expensive shampoo I like. >D

deko
June 21st, 2011, 05:07 PM
I have a medium thick almost waist layered hair.

I do CWC -washes.

First C I use a handful of conditioner.

The Wash I use two tablespoons of shampoo. I wash twice my scalp.

Second C I use 1 handful of reconstuctive conditioner to my ends, do my other washings and then without rinsing add a second handful of moisture conditioder, wait a few minutes, wash off and add a leave-in condish or oil.