PDA

View Full Version : Should I trim annoying layer? Pic

Wheatland
April 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I recently cut my growing out pixie (aka mullet) into a chin length bob. But my layer somewhere at the top of my head sometimes looks like it's longer than all the layers underneath. If that makes any sense? It's hard to describe.

It's actually not longer, but what happens is that the shorter layers curl up a bit and just appear shorter but I don't know if I should cut that layer just a bit or deal with it?

Opinions? Is it really noticeable?

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Taylani/Photo94-1-1.jpg

I drew arrows to what I'm talking about. Maybe I should trim a couple centimeters?

If y'all don't think it looks that bad then I'm going to leave it alone. But sometimes it is actually worse than the way it appears in the picture.

Edit: I am having a bad face day. :D

Wheatland
April 12th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I got a better picture of it.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/Taylani/Photo91-1.jpg

knoxkatie
April 12th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I don't think it's noticeable, but if it bothers you I would trim it off.

jaine
April 12th, 2011, 03:59 PM
If it were me I would take it to a hairdresser if I felt tempted to start snipping in the bathroom...that never seems to end well for me. I lose too much length and cause too many new shape issues, trying to make adjustments again and again to get it perfect...but a hairdresser could "measure twice and cut once" as they say...

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Bobs are tough. I had them for years and I rarely had a cut that lay flat and was completely even. I've had the same issues, parts have been longer and shorter and have stuck out and then I've tried to fix them myself which rarely worked out. I found the best solution was to take a rounded brush and sort of fold the ends under so the uneven parts didn't stick out and the length blended better.

freckles
April 12th, 2011, 04:03 PM
it doesn't look noticeable to me, and if it's really just because of the way your hair curls/curves, in another 2 or 3 inches it might curl a completely different way anyway :shrug: If it were my hair, I would definitely leave it. :) Of course, YMMV.

Venefica
April 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I do not think it is noticeable, however if it annoy you then I would recommend trimming it off since the most important thing is that you are happy with your hair, and especially since it is so little you have to cut off.

jaine
April 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM
it doesn't look noticeable to me, and if it's really just because of the way your hair curls/curves, in another 2 or 3 inches it might curl a completely different way anyway :shrug: If it were my hair, I would definitely leave it. :) Of course, YMMV.

That's a really good point - I often think that's why my bathroom shape adjustments look fine at first but worse after a month or two.

Wheatland
April 12th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I don't think it's noticeable, but if it bothers you I would trim it off.

It doesn't bother me enough to trim it. So I'm glad to hear it's not really noticeable! :D

If it were me I would take it to a hairdresser if I felt tempted to start snipping in the bathroom...that never seems to end well for me. I lose too much length and cause too many new shape issues, trying to make adjustments again and again to get it perfect...but a hairdresser could "measure twice and cut once" as they say...

Ah yes, the bathroom catastrophes that always start out so innocent. I've experienced a few of those! I think I'll leave it alone.

Bobs are tough. I had them for years and I rarely had a cut that lay flat and was completely even. I've had the same issues, parts have been longer and shorter and have stuck out and then I've tried to fix them myself which rarely worked out. I found the best solution was to take a rounded brush and sort of fold the ends under so the uneven parts didn't stick out and the length blended better.

I definitely have tried to kind of tuck the ends in so that they wouldn't stick out. Seems to be working against me, but I haven't tried a rounded brush. That may be my answer! Thank you. :D

Great point. I think I'll leave it alone.

I do not think it is noticeable, however if it annoy you then I would recommend trimming it off since the most important thing is that you are happy with your hair, and especially since it is so little you have to cut off.

I agree with the happiness bit. It hasn't started to annoy me enough that it makes me unhappy with my hair though. I'm still reeling over the excitement of moving on from pixie to bob!

nazzooyzo
April 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
its not bad. my hair is a similar length to yours and i have longer bits but im planning on getting them cut when the hair is a lot longer

redwoman
April 12th, 2011, 04:28 PM
If it were me, I would just get an eensy weensy micro trim at the salon (having someone you can trust) just to even that tiny bit out plus take care of any splits. And I do mean MICRO trim. Just the very tips cut off. Then not see the hairdresser till three months later, for another eensy weensy tips trimmed off. But you will have to do what makes you happy. Good luck!

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM
You might also need to wet it and/or spray it with hair spray while you work the round brush to get your hair to stay in place long term. Dry blowing with a round brush helps too, but it isn't necessary if you are opposed to heat, good luck!

Hylia
April 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I hardly even notice, if you didn`t point it out it would not be noticeable. I would say just grow it out and by then it`ll even itself out. Thats what happened to me when my hair was chin length and uneven.