PDA

View Full Version : Hairstick question: how can you tell...

cubedcoley
April 12th, 2011, 11:28 AM
if you have outgrown your hairstick? Let me start by saying I feel like a newbie around here all the time, and constantly learn new stuff about hair care! Thanks to all! Currently the issue is my fine but thick hair is suddenly falling out of my small ketylo stick when in a bun. I am not sure if my recent pregnancy has caused me to be inept at any hairdo but the messy bun, or if I am too long for my smallest ketylo that WAS working. I am an inch or so past APL, if that helps. Also, I don't have a place to try a ficcare, but would love any advice on sizing myself, as I don't want to buy the wrong size on such an investment! :cheese:

LornaDoone
April 12th, 2011, 11:53 AM
So you hair is falling out of its hairstick bun....

I would try a couple things. Try positioning the stick in a different place in the bun, this might make it more secure.
Try a different bun, your hair may have just outgrown that particular bun.
If neither of these work, try a longer stick. You don't have to pay out good money for a nice stick, try chopstick or something similar. Something cheap that will let you try out the length of the stick.
If the longer stick works, then you can invest in a really pretty one. :)

Intransigentia
April 12th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I don't think your hairstick is too small unless it totally disappears in your bun. Unless you want a new one, that is!

I found that especially in the APL-BSL zone, it was like my hair changed its mind about which buns and which toys would hold, just about every three weeks. It was like that extra 1/4" was just enough to throw off the balance or make the ends stick out a different direction or something. Some things I found helped: try twisting it the opposite direction from usual, and/or stick the stick in at a different angle - if you always go horizontal, try vertical, for example. Keep trying new buns. Sometimes that 1/4" is all it takes for something to fall into place that didn't work last week. ETA: And go back to old buns that have stopped working. Sometimes it's cyclic, they'll work at length n, not work at n +1/2", but then work great again at n + 1".

cubedcoley
April 12th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the quick response ladies! (BTW: I am a Texas Aggie living in Buckeyeland, LornaDoone, and I hope to go home very very soon!)

Okay, by means of "different buns" do you mean: use a hair tie and/or twist a different way? I pretty much use no hair tie, spin around and circle. It is not really a cinnabun, because the ends get tucked under the first circle. Anyway, if you have any resources (websites or youtube), they would be appreciated. If I don't hear back, thanks for the advice. I have plenty to start a new phase of trial and error! LHC ROCKS! WISH I HAD A T-SHIRT TO SHOW EVERYBODY HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS PLACE! :D

jojo
April 12th, 2011, 06:30 PM
I would imagine the bun would swallow the stick and therefore not hold it in style.

I use the same sticks and am yet to have this problem :(

frizzinator
April 12th, 2011, 06:39 PM
My hair would not stay up using a hairstick or fork until it was nearly 30 inches long. I found that more length made a huge difference in terms of staying up after I put it up.

cubedcoley
April 12th, 2011, 06:46 PM
YUP! I twisted it in a different direction, then pierced it another way... FINALLY I have got my hair back up reliably in my small ketylo hairstick! Thanks for a whole lot of helpful information! WHOOPEE!!

LornaDoone
April 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the quick response ladies! (BTW: I am a Texas Aggie living in Buckeyeland, LornaDoone, and I hope to go home very very soon!)

Okay, by means of "different buns" do you mean: use a hair tie and/or twist a different way? I pretty much use no hair tie, spin around and circle. It is not really a cinnabun, because the ends get tucked under the first circle. Anyway, if you have any resources (websites or youtube), they would be appreciated. If I don't hear back, thanks for the advice. I have plenty to start a new phase of trial and error! LHC ROCKS! WISH I HAD A T-SHIRT TO SHOW EVERYBODY HOW MUCH I LOVE THIS PLACE! :D

Try a bun like a nautilus or a celtic knot. My hair has never stayed very well in a cinnabun, but a nautilus will stay on its own with no pins or sticks! Check the articles section for how-tos.

Nice to hear from someone else who transplanted to Buckeye territory! :)

cubedcoley
April 13th, 2011, 01:37 AM
Great! I will head back to the articles section and re-read a little bit. See I read about those beautiful buns when I was just past SL. I was too short for them. But, maybe I could get one to work now! CHEERS for being a fan of something other than the BUCKEYES! :P

Aleria
April 13th, 2011, 01:47 AM
Also, since you're listed as ii/iii it's worth letting you know that sometimes thick haired people have a hard time with buns. I for one at BSL could not do any non-ponytailed bun with a stick or fork, and even with a ponytail base most didn't work. I could using Goody Spin Pins, but only sometimes.

Phexlyn
April 13th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I've never outgrown a hairstick so far, but if the stick disappears in your bun it's probably too small. You could be having other issues, though. Sometimes hair gets to a length where you can't do your buns as you used to do them anymore, as others have suggested. It's very annoying, but by trying different starting points, twisting/wrapping more tightly or loosely, inserting the stick at a different angle or just trying new types of buns you will eventually find something that works. Until you hit the next weird length for what has worked so far, that is ;)

cubedcoley
April 13th, 2011, 07:51 AM
Last night I had a bit of insomnia and spent the time sifting through the Articles. I now am wearing a split bun (I wrapped it around my finger instead of my whole hand as suggested). YIPPEE!! AND I am still using my small ketylo. Thanks to all!

Lianna
April 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM
I'm glad you figured it out. I actually prefer the look of a small stick than a stick you could see from the front, or two inches on each side of the bun. For me, it's harder to find smaller sticks, I always look at measurements when I buy online, 6 inches is ideal for me.

Intransigentia
April 13th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Glad you're having fun playing with your hair! More hair = more fun! Happy growing.

cubedcoley
April 13th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Yes and truth be told I was starting to get so frustrated I had creeping thought of cutting back to a bob! Glad you gals were here to help me through this growing pain ;)