PDA

View Full Version : Dry Itchy Scalp Recommendations Please

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Advice, please. My SO has a very dry super itchy scalp. His scalp gets so itchy that he sometimes scratches it until it bleeds. He has been to a doctor and was given a bottle of some medical shampoo but he hasn't been back since then and I can't blame him for not wanting to go back to the doctor for a bottle of shampoo every time he runs out. He has used the basic dry scalp shampoos on the market like Head & Shoulders etc. but they only mollify the situation. Since I have the opposite problem (oily scalp) I am not sure what to do to help him out. I have tried to give him scalp massages with olive oil and have tried some moisturizing cv shampoo bars but this is really out of my realm of expertise. I know there are some LHC'ers out there with dry itchy scalps and I would really appreciate any recommendations for what helps and alleviates the itching (natural and/or chemical). Thanks in advance!

ladyfey
April 12th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Too much yeast on the scalp is a commen cause of severe itchiness. For that I use Nizoral shampoo which is available over the counter. Unlike other dandruff shampoos, it's active ingredient is actually a fungicide and kills yeast. For me it is one of the best inventions ever!

krissykins
April 12th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Is he allergic to an ingredient being used in whatever touches his scalp (shampoo/conditioner)?

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Do you know what the diagnosis is and/ or the name of the shampoo your SO was given? Are you sure there is no underlying allergy OR irritation from the current regime? It's not uncommon for skin that is already broken to respond badly to the application of other products. My eczema hates shampoo, even hates my super gentle face wash. If the issue is simple dryness (not eczema or dermatitis) then chances are the product recommended by the doctor will be available to buy in pharmacies.

Alternatively your SO might try a product containing 5-10% urea as this natural humectant is often deficient in dry skin, or switch his shampoo for aqueous cream or E45 used as a CO-wash. If he doesn't mind something greasy, my eczema is responding brilliantly to unrefined shea butter. He might also look at his diet, does he have plenty of essential fatty acids for example (esp. omega-3 from fish oils which are anti-inflammatory)?

Lastly be aware that scratching begets itching, so that cycle needs to be broken. The application of something cool can be of benefit because it triggers different nerve pathways to scratching. Some people use cool packs, some keep their emollient cream in the refrigerator. HTH. :)

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Is he allergic to an ingredient being used in whatever touches his scalp (shampoo/conditioner)?

No allergies, he has always had a dry itchy flaky scalp...

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Too much yeast on the scalp is a commen cause of severe itchiness. For that I use Nizoral shampoo which is available over the counter. Unlike other dandruff shampoos, it's active ingredient is actually a fungicide and kills yeast. For me it is one of the best inventions ever!

Can you find this at any general store like rite aid, walmart, cvs, etc.?

krissykins
April 12th, 2011, 12:56 PM
You can get that shampoo at Walmart :)

Have you tried aloe on his scalp? That helps calm down the itchies for me but it makes my scalp looking oily and dirty.

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Do you know what the diagnosis is and/ or the name of the shampoo your SO was given? Are you sure there is no underlying allergy OR irritation from the current regime? It's not uncommon for skin that is already broken to respond badly to the application of other products. My eczema hates shampoo, even hates my super gentle face wash. If the issue is simple dryness (not eczema or dermatitis) then chances are the product recommended by the doctor will be available to buy in pharmacies.

Alternatively your SO might try a product containing 5-10% urea as this natural humectant is often deficient in dry skin, or switch his shampoo for aqueous cream or E45 used as a CO-wash. If he doesn't mind something greasy, my eczema is responding brilliantly to unrefined shea butter. He might also look at his diet, does he have plenty of essential fatty acids for example (esp. omega-3 from fish oils which are anti-inflammatory)?

Lastly be aware that scratching begets itching, so that cycle needs to be broken. The application of something cool can be of benefit because it triggers different nerve pathways to scratching. Some people use cool packs, some keep their emollient cream in the refrigerator. HTH. :)

1) Unfortunately neither of us remember the name of the shampoo (this was earlier last year) but the doctor just diagnosed it as a dry scalp and I'm pretty sure it was a generic type of shampoo subscribed. Although I can't be sure I don't think he has eczema (or dermatitis) since it runs in my family so I'm pretty familiar with that one...

2) He could use some fish oil in his diet, so I think that is a good recommendation, it certainly couldn't hurt since fish oil is good for your heart

3) He had told me that his scalp is itchy all the time and he tries to resist the urge but by the time he actually scratches he can't take it anymore...something cool is a great idea he is always hot so something cool would be appealing

4) Thanks for the tips :)

Miss Catrina
April 12th, 2011, 01:06 PM
I don't have any experience with it myself, but I hear a lot of people mention ACV rinses helping with itchy scalps.

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM
You can get that shampoo at Walmart :)

Have you tried aloe on his scalp? That helps calm down the itchies for me but it makes my scalp looking oily and dirty.

I have not tried it, but luckily I just got some aloe vera gel in the mail so I will give that a shot, just put it in and leave it? His hair is so thick and dry I don't even think anyone would notice it, anything I put in his hair disappears in minutes because it is so easily absorbed...

krissykins
April 12th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I don't have any experience with it myself, but I hear a lot of people mention ACV rinses helping with itchy scalps.

Oh yes, how could I have forgotten about the sacred ACV rinse? IT definitely works wonders.

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 01:09 PM

Do you think lemon juice would work better? He isn't a fan of the ACV rinse :)

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I was also looking online for some solutions and tea tree oil kept coming up. Has anyone had any luck with tea tree oil?

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 01:16 PM
1) Unfortunately neither of us remember the name of the shampoo (this was earlier last year) but the doctor just diagnosed it as a dry scalp and I'm pretty sure it was a generic type of shampoo subscribed. Although I can't be sure I don't think he has eczema (or dermatitis) since it runs in my family so I'm pretty familiar with that one...

2) He could use some fish oil in his diet, so I think that is a good recommendation, it certainly couldn't hurt since fish oil is good for your heart

3) He had told me that his scalp is itchy all the time and he tries to resist the urge but by the time he actually scratches he can't take it anymore...something cool is a great idea he is always hot so something cool would be appealing

4) Thanks for the tips :)

You are welcome, it's nice to be able to contribute! :)

If your OH has been diagnosed with a dry or sensitive scalp then I would not suggest the Nizoral. It is an excellent product for seborrhoeic dermatitis (greasy dandruff) but is pretty harsh and may well aggravate his scalp without any benefit; ditto the Head and Shoulders and tea tree oil. One option is to ring the doctor's secretary and ask for the name of the product, or you could run your choices past a friendly pharmacist. Otherwise I'd suggest going for products with as few ingredients as possible - so aqueous cream or aloe gel or shea butter - so if there is any flare up you know exactly what the culprit is. ;)

Omega-3 essential fatty acids are of benefit to every single cell in the body! :D My eczema cleared completely when my diet was clean, including plenty of omega-3, fruit and veg. He might also watch his omega-6 fats, trans fat, alcohol, sugar and refined (white) carbs intake as all can contribute to inflammation. :(

krissykins
Lemon juice works just as well. It's usually recommended for dry scalps whereas ACV is recommended for oily scalps, from what I've heard.

ladyfey
Can you find this at any general store like rite aid, walmart, cvs, etc.?
Yes, Walgreens has it and some grocery stores have it.

CarpeDM
April 12th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Thanks all :blossom:

I'll give those suggestions a try :)