PDA

View Full Version : Bun Conditioner All Day

gattina
April 11th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I've been putting the conditioner in the lengths of my hair, that fit in my bun, and leaving it in all day?

Does anyone else do this? What do you guys think about it?

Good or bad?

mustpannkook
April 12th, 2011, 12:01 AM
I haven't let the conditioner sit in my hair the whole day, but 6 hours or so happens sometimes. I personally don't think it's bad, my hair will just be quite limp until the next showering.

aurorabridge
April 12th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I've worn liberal amounts of conditioner in my hair before, braided, and then washed it out the next day. My hair didn't feel any different afterwards, so I'm going to vote neither good or bad.

WaterMusic
April 12th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I've let conditioner sit in my hair for a few hours, but never worn it out in a bun.

Java
April 12th, 2011, 01:48 AM
If I am putting my hair up for the day I like to smother it in watered down conditioner that has a strong scent to it so as it dries the hair takes up the shape of the bun and the pretty scent. When I take it down, its very strong.

If I want to increase the strengthening/conditioning properties I add vegetable glycerin, aloe vera and other oils to the distilled water and conditioner. Since its sitting on my head for a long time I use distilled water because I have no idea what could possibly be in tap water.

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 04:37 AM
I sometimes use wash off conditioner as leave-in - many go very sticky as they partially dry, but nice and soft when fully dry assuming you don't slather it on.

pepperminttea
April 12th, 2011, 04:58 AM
I've never done it and bunned, but during a serious detangling after my hair had been in mini braids for three and a half weeks (and the roots had begun to dread together), I had to use conditioner to help. It took me about six hours of fingercombing with conditioner to get all the tangles out (that's without the time to take the braids out in the first place). The conditioner dried on my hair in places and even after washing, it was fairly limp. I don't think my hair's a fan of that much conditioner, but YMMV. :)

GRU
April 12th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I use regular conditioner as a leave-in every time I CO-wash, which is at least five times a week.

My hair's never been happier.

telegraph64
April 12th, 2011, 07:49 AM
This is regular practice for me. I wear my hair in braids the majority of the time, or in up-dos, so the limp-looking factor does not apply. There are very light conditioners available, however I prefer a very light oiling, if I am going to wear my hair down, which is enough to keep the hair smooth and tangle-free, whilst locking in moisture, but not so much that my hair begins to look limp and greasy. I avoid oiling the scalp if the hair is going to be worn down. :flower:

Anje
April 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
My scalp is usually unhappy about me leaving a soggy bun against it. Personally, I'm not thrilled with the texture of my hair when it has dried-on conditioner in it, so I don't use it as a leave-in, but other people love it.

Give it a try, see what you think.

GRU
April 12th, 2011, 09:37 AM
My scalp is usually unhappy about me leaving a soggy bun against it. Personally, I'm not thrilled with the texture of my hair when it has dried-on conditioner in it, so I don't use it as a leave-in, but other people love it.

Give it a try, see what you think.

I've noticed a trend here with this -- fine-haired folks don't have as good a result as those with medium-to-coarse hair. Makes sense when you think about it -- it takes a LOT more to weigh my hair down than it does yours. Heck, my hair practically needs a http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/ImaHockeyMom/boards/emoticons/whip-2.gif to keep it semi-tamed!

Anje
April 12th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Actually, it's not the weight (which I don't mind -- I get quite a bit of curly frizz whenever I shampoo), it's the smoothness. My hair doesn't feel nearly as slick when I've got conditioner left in it, compared to when it's rinsed out. It feels like it grabs onto itself more and seems a bit more tangle-prone. It also gets a bit clumpy, which is something that more straight-haired people tend to dislike and the curly folks prefer.

ETA: I'm very prone to silicone and protein buildup. There might be a connection between that and my dislike of coatings on my hair. On the other hand, I think oil is great.

FluffSpider
April 12th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I used to do this, but I think that for a treatment, light oiling would be better because most conditioners have a sort of alcohol in them. If yours has little to none, then your hair might benefit from it, if it has alcohol, it might actually dry it. I use a dilluted oil-based condish as a leave-in, but I have applied straight-up condish on my hair, and as Anje said, it left my hair feeling not-so-smooth. And I don't have 'cone build-up issues. I may need to clarify once a year...God-willingly.

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Actually, it's not the weight (which I don't mind -- I get quite a bit of curly frizz whenever I shampoo), it's the smoothness. My hair doesn't feel nearly as slick when I've got conditioner left in it, compared to when it's rinsed out. It feels like it grabs onto itself more and seems a bit more tangle-prone. It also gets a bit clumpy, which is something that more straight-haired people tend to dislike and the curly folks prefer.

Mine feels grabby and tangly until it is dry, that means completely dry which is sometimes an overnight (SL hair). It also gets like that if I apply too much; I appreciate the clumps now I am curly, but when I was pretending to be straighter! know some dilute conditioner to use as a spray leave in, or just don't rinse as thoroughly. As you say tho each head is different, your hair has had more love than mine. :)

GRU
April 12th, 2011, 02:26 PM

It always amazes me how we all have "hair" on our heads, and it's all made out of the same "ingredients", but EVERY SINGLE HEAD of hair is DIFFERENT in some way! Mother Nature sure does have a weird sense of humor! :lol:

ETA: I'm very prone to silicone and protein buildup. There might be a connection between that and my dislike of coatings on my hair. On the other hand, I think oil is great.

Well, aren't you a flip-flopper then! :p

I used to do this, but I think that for a treatment, light oiling would be better because most conditioners have a sort of alcohol in them. If yours has little to none, then your hair might benefit from it, if it has alcohol, it might actually dry it.

Actually, the alcohols on the ingredients list of conditioner aren't drying alcohols -- they are "fatty alcohols" and they're actually moisturizing or lubricating; they also help stabilize things chemically so that the oils and waters don't separate in the bottle.

Not EVERY alcohol is a "bad/damaging" alcohol, but if you don't have a degree in biochemistry (or a handy-dandy place (http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/ingredient_details.php?ingredient_id=481) to look ingredients up (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/ingredients-commonly-found-in-hair-care-products) on the internet), you don't know which ones are good and which ones are bad.

jojo
April 12th, 2011, 07:02 PM
On the last 4 inches ive done this; my hair likes it!

dollface
April 12th, 2011, 08:00 PM
i do this on occasion and haven't had any adverse effects from it. i normally dampen my hair a bit oil it slightly and then add the conditioner on top of that and bun. i'm a busy art student and worker with the mentally disabled so it's nice to be able to pamper my hair while i'm out and about and still be able to keep it out of the way.

julliams
April 12th, 2011, 08:08 PM

I find exactly this on my hair too and mine is medium/coarse. Maybe it's down to particular ingredients. I use products designed as leave-ins but I personally find my regular condtioners dry and get grabby.:shrug:

FluffSpider
April 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM
@ GRU: future med student+google-happy, so I know which is which; in some conditioners, the alcohols are drying; something I've seen happen on my own hair. I never stated ALL alcohols are bad:p

shikara
April 14th, 2011, 12:48 AM
I started putting a diluted conditioner spray on my hair before I bunned it but I found that I get better results with just damp hair. As is often the case, if your hair seems to like it, then go for it!

Firefox7275
April 14th, 2011, 04:02 AM
@ GRU: future med student+google-happy, so I know which is which; in some conditioners, the alcohols are drying; something I've seen happen on my own hair. I never stated ALL alcohols are bad:p

Now I am confused. :o Which sort of alcohols are you referring to please? I haven't noticed them in most conditioners but perhaps I am overlooking something?

FluffSpider
August 4th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Now I am confused. :o Which sort of alcohols are you referring to please? I haven't noticed them in most conditioners but perhaps I am overlooking something?

Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohols are just rubbing alcohol. They dry out skin and hair. To make sure, google their other uses and just...deduce, I guess.

spidermom
August 4th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I used to use regular rinse-out conditioner as a leave-in conditioner, and I was never unhappy with it, but I recently read in a magazine article that it's a bad idea because rinse-conditioners contain ingredients that encourage the cuticle to open so that the good stuff can get inside. Therefore, if you don't rinse it out, you can end up with roughened cuticle and stretchy hair.

Maybe that's why I've had such a major problem with constant split ends.

SoulOfTheSea
August 5th, 2011, 02:45 PM
I was actually just thinking of starting a thread asking the same exact thing. Now after reading through all the posts, I think I will not do so. :)

Anje
August 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Ethanol, Isopropyl alcohols are just rubbing alcohol. They dry out skin and hair. To make sure, google their other uses and just...deduce, I guess.
Hmmm... Haven't found those in my conditioners. Then again, I'm a label-reader, so I probably wouldn't try a conditioner with significant quantities of those in the first place.

Mairéad
August 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I used to do this in when I was 11 or 12. Only, I left my hair down and it would dry. My hair soaks everything up so it never got crunchy or grabby. This was at a time where I didn't even have cable or internet so I have no clue how I figured to do it. I guess I have natural hair intuition. :D