PDA

View Full Version : Washing Hair-TOWEL DRYING?

gattina
April 11th, 2011, 10:28 PM
I'm recent to the LHC-forum, I've been lurking for a while. I have 4 inches to get to my goal, so I really am trying to take extra care of my hair.

I'm avoiding combing my curly hair when its wet, i wait until its damp.

But what about towel-drying? Is it harmful to your hair as well?

What tips does everyone have for just after washing, I'm CO Washing only if that makes a difference?

TOWEL or No Towel? I usually just wrap it up in turban....

Hotrox
April 11th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I think wrapping and turbaning is fine, well for me it is anyway!

I think the key is not to rub or manipulate the hair while towel drying, this could rough it up, damage the cuticle and cause tangles.

shikara
April 11th, 2011, 11:23 PM
I'm with hotrox! Actually I usually just give a gentle squeeze with my hands to rid my length of excess dripping water, and set a towel gently around my shoulders and down my back so I can actually dry off after the shower - the towel doesn't have a lot of contact with my hair - just enough to stop the waterworks:D

hanne jensen
April 11th, 2011, 11:38 PM
I use an old T shirt. I put it on my head and I fold my hair in it. Twisting can cause damage. I make a loose turban.

gattina
April 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
Old T-Shirt, Great Suggestion. Softer Material! Thank you!

Dragon
April 12th, 2011, 12:56 AM
I think using a turban is fine. Also about using a towl, it's ok blot dry but it's important not to rub your hair with it.

terpentyna
April 12th, 2011, 01:02 AM
I like micro fiber towels. :)

WaterMusic
April 12th, 2011, 01:13 AM
Microfibre towels are the ****. I love mine, I don't have to rub at all, just press. That reminds me, I washed it a couple of weeks ago and just put it in the closet... Need to pull that out for next shower.

ChloeDharma
April 12th, 2011, 02:44 AM
As others have said, if you are gentle, don't rub....just blot it then it should be fine. When making a turban be careful when twisting the towel so you don't stretch the hairs in the twist.

Venefica
April 12th, 2011, 02:50 AM
I squeeze gently to get as much water as I can out of the hair and then I wrap it and leave it wrapped until it is not dripping anymore and then I just leave it to air dry the rest. That have worked well for me.

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 03:53 AM
As you are curly have you heard of plopping/ plunking with your towel to encourage curl?

AmericanWoman
April 12th, 2011, 05:13 AM
I use old hooded baby bath towels. Just fit the hooded part over my head and wrap the part that hangs down around my length. It could be turbaned easily also,I guess, but I don't bother.

Fiordiligi
April 12th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I use old hooded baby bath towels. Just fit the hooded part over my head and wrap the part that hangs down around my length. It could be turbaned easily also,I guess, but I don't bother.

I do that too! I have heaps of old ones that the children have grown out of, and they work brilliantly for me, especially because they are so easy to turban compared with a normal towel. They are very soft and absorbent, plus I reckon they will last me to tailbone at least.

Rebecca.1905
April 12th, 2011, 06:51 AM
Excellent suggestion! My length is starting to outgrow the soft towels I use for turbaning, but soft baby towels would last a long time! I'm going to do that from now on!!

GRU
April 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I'm recent to the LHC-forum, I've been lurking for a while. I have 4 inches to get to my goal, so I really am trying to take extra care of my hair.

I'm avoiding combing my curly hair when its wet, i wait until its damp.

But what about towel-drying? Is it harmful to your hair as well?

What tips does everyone have for just after washing, I'm CO Washing only if that makes a difference?

TOWEL or No Towel? I usually just wrap it up in turban....

I'm confused.... do you have curly hair or straight hair? You say it's curly here, but you've got it typed as 1b/1c. :confused:

As for combing wet/damp, I direct you to this thread for clarification: Wet Combing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69046)

RebeccaG
April 12th, 2011, 06:58 AM
I don't towel dry at all, I have 2a curly hair and just apply argan oil after washing and then drape a towel over my shoulders and let it air dry. It doesn't seem to take any longer and I get better curl formation that way. ;)

Madora
April 12th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Towels are fine!

What I do is bend at the waist and bring all my hair in front of me (the water has been gently squeeze between my palms first to get rid of the excess moisture).

Then holding the towel in a vertical position, wrap it around your length so that you end up with a sort of "tube".

Take the tube and pin it around your head.

I keep the towel on for about 10 minutes then undo it. Then I detangle gently with a wide tooth comb, then taking a fresh towel, cover my head with it and gently "clap" my hands together down the length of the towel. I repeat this about 3 times, then take off the towel.

Detangle again and then begin the process of air drying using my "fanning technique".

AuburnTresses
April 12th, 2011, 07:10 AM
Since you said your hair is curly I want to pass on what Curly Girl Lorraine Massey says. People with curly hair shouldn't use towels as the fibers, on regular cotton towels, soak up to much moisture (and since curly hair is usually more dry) so it shouldn't be used. She also says it can cause frizz.

That said I started using a towel again on my hair since I was taking so long to dry and it's fine for me, but I don't have curly hair. Hope that helps. :flowers:

telegraph64
April 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
What I do, is gently squeeze out as much excess water as I can manage , and then I carefully separate the "clumped" strands, to allow them to breathe while drying, and to avoid locking in water. I throw a towel over my back, and then throw my hair over that, and proceed with a turban, which I leave on for no less than one half hour, I let the air do the rest for me.

Miss Catrina
April 12th, 2011, 09:15 PM
I don't think there's anything to worry about, at least as long as you're not trying to do the short hair method of kind of shaking all over your head. But I'm sure you're not. :) If you're concerned, though, I've heard several mentions of people drying with old t-shirts, which is probably gentler.

gogirlanime
April 12th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I gently use a towel to squeeze a few times, no twisting, just a gentle squeeze to get the excess water out.