PDA

View Full Version : Boar Bristle Brush Recommendations

xoerincolleen
April 11th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Hi everyone! I would like to try a boar bristle brush, but am unsure which brand to buy. If you use one, what would you recommend? Thank you :)

Allar
April 12th, 2011, 12:16 AM
I have a Mason Pearson and I think it works very well, I've been using it only for a couple years but it also seems very durable and worth the money, even if I'm not always careful no bristle is damaged or bent.

Madora
April 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I've been using pure 100% boar bristle brushes since 1960 and am a great fan of brushing!

Some bbb tips:

1 Make sure your brush is 100% PURE boar bristle. No NYLON!

2 If possible, inspect the brush in question. Feel the bristles for
stiffness and length of bristles.

From experience the higher end brushes seem to have longer
bristles. My hair didn't like those at all (disappointing experience with a very pricey KENT OF LONDON brush years ago)

My hair seems to prefer a shorter bristle.

3 How does the brush feel when you hold it? A brush that is uncomfortable is money wasted

4 How many rows of bristles are there? A good brush should have 5 rows at the very least

5 Spec. note - the stiffness of the bristles can vary a lot..from very soft to hard. Over time, the stiffness will lessen

6 Be sure the bottom of the brush is FLAT - NO curves! A curved brush is meant for short hair only. If you use a curved bbb your hair will end up a tangled mess

7 You needn't spend an arm and a leg for a good brush!

I don't know if GOODY still makes their brush I've been using for years (I've used 3 of theirs and each one lasted about 10 years).

Tips for caring for your bbb:

A Remove as much of the hair in the brush with a small tooth comb (or a wire hair rake)

B Wet with cold water

C Put a small amount of your shampoo in a nail brush and rub it around so the nail brush becomes "foamy"

D Apply the nail brush to your bbb, brushing it down and across the rows

E Rinse your bbb thoroughly with cold water

F Wipe off all the non bristle parts with a towel

G Shake well and fan the bristles with your fingers to remove
more water

H Place brush with the bristles facing DOWN on a lint free cloth.

Many LCHers recommend the Mason Pearson product.

Happy brushing!

xoerincolleen
April 12th, 2011, 09:32 AM
Thank you so much!! :)