PDA

View Full Version : monistat?!?! should i try it

angela123
April 11th, 2011, 01:00 PM
okay so i was trying to read the other threads about this.. well theres to many pages to read.. so my question is.. should i try it on my scalp and how successful have yall been with using it and how long have yall been using it?!!?! and if i were to stop would my new growth fall out or what.. my hair grows so slow!

FluffSpider
April 11th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Well, you don't need to read the whole thread to get the main points...
still, for the sake of KNIT, I'll give you a quick and short briefing
-Some people don't get results by using MN
- Some people notice new hairs growing
-Some people notice hair shedding(but not extreme) after stopping the useof MN
-MN usually doubles the hair growth rythm, so you can expect about an inch a month.

vanillabones
April 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM
I've been using it. I used it for 2 weeks then forgot for a few weeks now and am using it again and going to be strict about it. I had a line of new baby hairs in the front of my hairline from using it and now I have a new line of baby hairs growing in, they look silly but it means I may have thicker hair than I've ever had in my life.

It's worth it at least to try for a month or two. I apply the cream straight to my scalp (the 7 day one) and keep it on overnight... I need to wash mine out right now I'm a grease monster!
I definitely at least have an inch of roots and the last time I dyed was a hair gloss mid February. My hair grows painfully slow as well so go for it.

nazzooyzo
April 11th, 2011, 01:23 PM
i have used it since early march and have had about an inch of growth

angela123
April 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
lucky duck.. i def think im going to be going to walmart today...

Dark Queen
April 11th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I've been using it. I used it for 2 weeks then forgot for a few weeks now and am using it again and going to be strict about it. I had a line of new baby hairs in the front of my hairline from using it and now I have a new line of baby hairs growing in, they look silly but it means I may have thicker hair than I've ever had in my life.

It's worth it at least to try for a month or two. I apply the cream straight to my scalp (the 7 day one) and keep it on overnight... I need to wash mine out right now I'm a grease monster!
I definitely at least have an inch of roots and the last time I dyed was a hair gloss mid February. My hair grows painfully slow as well so go for it.

How often do you do that? I haven't been using very long and so far I only do it every few days. I'm curious to try leaving it on overnight.

knoxkatie
April 11th, 2011, 02:02 PM
angela, if you are planning on buying it at walmart you should consider getting the equate generic brand. It's what I use and is about $5 for a tube of the 4% miconazole nitrate, which is less than half the price of brand name monistat (and has the same main ingredient).

misspriss
April 11th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I started using it one week ago today. I have applied it three times (I plan on three times a week). I use the 3-day one (4%), I apply it directly to my scalp, usually with dry hair, and then wash it in the morning. I applied it once with wet hair, right after washing it, and it went in much better (I assume it got diluted with the water on my hair) and I used a lot less, and it didn't seem to make my hair too greasy (it does when I put it on dry) but it was "funny" feeling. It takes FOREVER for me to put it on, because I'm kind of OCD about it. It has to go on each spot exactly the same and all, and I can't put my hair back in any kind of ponytail hardly to separate it, so it is tedious. I plan to keep this up at least one month (until my graduation) and see how it works, and I'd really like to keep it up until my wedding at least.

My main goal is to get it to ponytail length, then I will relax about it a little. I hate how it looks right now. I despise the length that it is at.

Anyway I just started it so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

angela123
April 11th, 2011, 02:07 PM
does it work as well?!?! oh btw my mom works at walmart so i can use her discount card.. so it will come to be 4. something after taxes.. haha i need to pick up some coconut oil to.. do u know if they sell it there?

angela123
April 11th, 2011, 02:12 PM
oh snap ... what about the dollar store?

misspriss
April 11th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Well I've been using it for 1 week, I don't know if it works well yet!

4.xx? Equate brand or Monistat?

My 3-day (4%) Monistat from WM is 13.57 or something, and the 7-day (2%) is around 10.xx. From the limited amount I read in the super long Monistat thread, some people did not see results with Equate that they did with Monistat, so I decided if I was going to put that much effort into it (takes 30-45 minutes to apply to my satisfaction) and wait so long for results (it still takes weeks or months to notice a difference) I was not going to risk it with off brand. Also, equate contains oil (mineral oil I think), and Monistat doesn't. If you wash it off right away (the next morning) I guess it wouldn't matter, but I CO a lot and I don't like to add mineral oil to it.

vanillabones
April 11th, 2011, 02:24 PM
How often do you do that? I haven't been using very long and so far I only do it every few days. I'm curious to try leaving it on overnight.

Every other night. Or two nights in a row if you know you won't be able to do it for two nights after those nights. I don't do it when DBF is coming over, he buys it for me but wouldn't appreciate that haha.
I only do it right before bed since it makes my hair greasy and it guarantees keeping it in for over 6 hours+

vanillabones
April 11th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I got my coconut oil at whole foods they have a huge tube of the spectrum one that a lot of people use. And I only use the monistat brand I wouldn't suggest going to the dollar store or using a generic. Someone on the monistat brand tried the dollar store one.

Also some people get headaches from it so if you are prone to migraines or have a sensitive scalp don't start with the 4% use the 2% and possibly dilute it. I use the 2% full strength and have no problems and I get migraines often so I'm happy about this.

misspriss
April 11th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Oh I got a mild headache the first night I did it, but I haven't gotten one since. It was just a mild headache, not unbearable.

Dark Queen
April 11th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Every other night. Or two nights in a row if you know you won't be able to do it for two nights after those nights. I don't do it when DBF is coming over, he buys it for me but wouldn't appreciate that haha.
I only do it right before bed since it makes my hair greasy and it guarantees keeping it in for over 6 hours+

Ah, thanks for that. Perhaps I should use a bit more often :ponder:

Well I've been using it for 1 week, I don't know if it works well yet!

4.xx? Equate brand or Monistat?

My 3-day (4%) Monistat from WM is 13.57 or something, and the 7-day (2%) is around 10.xx. From the limited amount I read in the super long Monistat thread, some people did not see results with Equate that they did with Monistat, so I decided if I was going to put that much effort into it (takes 30-45 minutes to apply to my satisfaction) and wait so long for results (it still takes weeks or months to notice a difference) I was not going to risk it with off brand. Also, equate contains oil (mineral oil I think), and Monistat doesn't. If you wash it off right away (the next morning) I guess it wouldn't matter, but I CO a lot and I don't like to add mineral oil to it.

I have heard the same things on the main thread. So far, I don't really want to take a chance with the cheaper stuff either. Have any of you had good results with the equate?

Kalypso
April 11th, 2011, 04:29 PM
:D I get my coconut oil in the supplement isle at the pharmacy in walmart. Spring Valley organic extra virgin coconut oil, $10.

Mike
April 11th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I use the brand name and 4%. It costs a little more but it is the real deal for sure and if your Mom can get additional savings for you I say go for it.

hanne jensen
April 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM
I've used Mn off and on for 2 years now. The new hairs DON'T fall out. I apply it every 3 days. On my head, more often is just a waste of product. I use for 3 months then take a 1 month break.

Lately, it hasn't been working for me so I'm on a long break from Mn. I haven't used it for 2 months and I decided to start again today and see what happens.

Good luck!

gattina
April 12th, 2011, 12:24 AM
i'm going to try my routine for about 2 more months if i'm not getting the growth i want, i'll try monistat....

knoxkatie
April 12th, 2011, 10:51 AM
The generic has the same amount of miconazole nitrate (MN) which is the ingredient that is said to increase growth rate. Many people have reported results using generics and other brands of MN, and I have had good results with the equate brand. Though I have read that some people use brand name Monistat because other brands have different base ingredients that make their hair greasy.

Suicide's Eve has some really helpful youtube videos about MN on her blog (http://suicideseve.blogspot.com/).

angela123
April 12th, 2011, 03:21 PM
has anyone be able to find monistat coupons? im all about saving some money!!!!

angela123
April 12th, 2011, 03:23 PM
3 bucks off!!

https://www.monistat.com/coupon.jsp

misspriss
April 12th, 2011, 03:30 PM
It says it is off the ovule, which I don't know if it will work for the cream. I don't know if you can use the ovule or not, I'd have to look into that.

pepperminttea
April 12th, 2011, 03:41 PM
Stupid question I know, but can it be harmful sticking this stuff on your scalp considering how much your skin absorbs? I know it's one of the tried and true LHC things to try and boost growth but the whole idea seems risky.

misspriss
April 12th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Well, I use less than one vaginal application per use. You are suppose to use them for 3 days in a row, inserting the stuff into an area that does absorb things, I don't use them two days in a row (I space them out) and use less than a full application. In fact, they now put out the ovules with a considerable amount more chemical in them that you use at once, so I think it is okay.

jojo
April 12th, 2011, 05:40 PM
I use daktarin and normally grow very slowly like 1/4" if I am lucky. I have used for 1 month and got1/2" which is good for me!

Daktarin/monistat is perfectly safe to use on scalps. Its just an antifungal cream; fungal infections can affect us anywhere!

jackgirl
April 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM
This is so weird whoever discovered this! Do you know if its available in the UK? Or if any old brand will do? Thanks :)

Lifezbeautiful
April 12th, 2011, 06:33 PM
Hey,
It is great reading about Monistat. I have been debating going that way.

I do heavy oiling almost everyday and shampoo only 2nd day kindoff,even though I kills me to walk around feeling so greasy. But anyways I do not go out of my studyroom a lot, as I,"am supposed to ",be preparing for my boards.

Anyway question is: I need to shampoo off all the oil before I put Monistat in,right? (If I am going that route) I mean you need a clean scalp to begin?
It may sound silly but...........Did you guys ever have another routine you do, in addition to the Monistat?How do you do both? Do you take a day vacation-from-hair-care,and put nothing on for a day or so?

Dark Queen
April 12th, 2011, 06:41 PM
This is so weird whoever discovered this! Do you know if its available in the UK? Or if any old brand will do? Thanks :)

Who did discover it anyway? I wonder if someone just read the ingredients and put two and two together, or did they just find out by accident? :ponder:

nazzooyzo
April 12th, 2011, 06:47 PM

in the uk its called daktarin. i buy mine from superdrug

angela123
April 12th, 2011, 07:34 PM
they have different ones you can chose which coupon you want!

gogirlanime
April 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
angela, if you are planning on buying it at walmart you should consider getting the equate generic brand. It's what I use and is about $5 for a tube of the 4% miconazole nitrate, which is less than half the price of brand name monistat (and has the same main ingredient).
NICE thank you for that info! I just jumped on this bandwagon too and I think I'll put this on my scalp 3 times a week and see how I do. I contacted Dollartree.com to see if they have any creams that contain Miconazole nitrate in them, cuz if I'm gonna do this 3 times a week it better be cheap haha

AMW
April 13th, 2011, 10:22 AM
"i'm going to try my routine for about 2 more months if i'm not getting the growth i want, i'll try monistat...."

What is your routine Gattina?

jojo
April 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM

People from UK and Europe use daktarin which has monconizole the acting ingrediant in USA's monistat

jojo
April 13th, 2011, 03:07 PM
Who did discover it anyway? I wonder if someone just read the ingredients and put two and two together, or did they just find out by accident? :ponder:

When it is used for its main intention; vaginal thrush women notice an increase in pubic hair, so thought why not try it on the head. They did and it worked!

angela123
April 13th, 2011, 04:23 PM
jojo did you use monistat and if so what were your measurements?

jojo
April 14th, 2011, 06:29 PM
well ive only just gone back on it and my growth previously was a measly 1/4" a month, though I suspect i was loosing half my monthly growth from breakage. So I do think i grow 1/2" but loosing half made it look like I was getting less.

In my first month I got 1/2" which was probably more but again breakage made it look less. Ive just trimmed back to 29" a whole inch gone and I am now in my 2nd month, so will let you know if my theory was right!

In the past when my hair was shorter I got approx an inch a month.

eta- ive tagged post to remind me to update 8th may! just put update angela in search for results!

angela123
April 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
awesome.. cant wait till!