PDA

View Full Version : "I hate you for your hair!" (said to me today)

Qamar
April 11th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I wore my hair down today to attend a local Rennaissance Faire and got the coolest compliment whilst browsing a table of hairtoys. A longhaired man in faire garb came up to me and said "I hate you for your hair!" *lol* He then asked me to turn around so his girlfriend could see my hair, and she as excited about my hair as he was.

The sincerity of it made my day, even though the wording was a tad unconventional. :D Now if I could get my hair to listen to that and grow the last seven inches or so to reach my goal of knee...then my goal will be thickening the hemline to go for truly satisfying hair. Grow hair, grow! Then we can really surprise that guy next year.

Dragon
April 11th, 2011, 02:39 AM
That would have to be one of the best compliments :)

BlueCanary
April 11th, 2011, 03:14 AM
That's awesome! =)

I had an odd one recently too.

"Wow. Your hair is even longer than mine!" She had tailbone length and was astonished mine was longer than that.

Qamar
April 11th, 2011, 03:18 AM
Odd heartfelt compliments rule!

rockprincess
April 11th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Wow, that's an awesome compliment! Congratulations. :)

spidermom
April 11th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I guess it never felt so good to be hated.

wavykisses
April 11th, 2011, 02:23 PM
That's a very nice comment and a cool way to say it:cheese:

looniac
April 11th, 2011, 02:41 PM
Aw! I want this compliment when I finally have long hair and am at the renfest!!!

telegraph64
April 11th, 2011, 03:39 PM
My hair has gotten to feel quite hated, many times, since it was shortened. :p Of course, not so much in a positive manner.

What a fun compliment!

veronicaleah
April 11th, 2011, 03:40 PM
Wow, that's awesome. You also reminded me that Ren Faires will be so much more fun with long hair. :)

Qamar
April 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I love faire and all the gorgeous long hair I get to see there. I still feel like my hair is short, but in other people perspective its starting to be amongst the longer hair at faire.

SpeakingEZ
April 11th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Is that the Escondido one? I forgot that was coming up! No car= no ren faires for me this year.

Great compliment, though! What did he girlfriend think?

valrhona
April 11th, 2011, 07:25 PM
From what I've read, not everyone had hair as long as yours back in that time period. :)

Kunoichi
April 12th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Our Ren Fair is beginning this weekend! :) I want to go and get my hair braided with ribbons! :p

redwoman
April 12th, 2011, 04:34 PM
That must have felt good to hear it. Next year will be even better!

chopandchange
April 12th, 2011, 04:40 PM
I don't think it's a nice thing for anyone to say, even if it's a joke.

I hope no one ever says that to me. It makes me very upset to be hated. :( I wouldn't take it as a compliment at all. It would make me want to cry.

I suppose what they were really trying to say (and wording it wrongly) is that they envy you for your hair. They don't hate you. So why say they do?

(I have Asperger's, and take things very literally and chew over them for ages trying to work out people's true motives).

It just seems like such a weird thing to do, to announce to a perfect stranger that you hate them. :confused:

The world is such a weird and puzzling place.

*sigh*

Quezie
April 12th, 2011, 06:21 PM
Ha! I'm not sure how I would have reacted to that.

I wish my city had Renaissance fairs!

chopandchange
April 12th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Ha! I'm not sure how I would have reacted to that.

I wish my city had Renaissance fairs!

*chopandchange plans her response in advance*

"I hate you for your rudeness."

(although I couldn't really say that to anyone, because it would sound too nasty. I don't ever hate people).

SpeakingEZ
April 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
I don't think it's a nice thing for anyone to say, even if it's a joke.

I hope no one ever says that to me. It makes me very upset to be hated. :( I wouldn't take it as a compliment at all. It would make me want to cry.

I suppose what they were really trying to say (and wording it wrongly) is that they envy you for your hair. They don't hate you. So why say they do?

(I have Asperger's, and take things very literally and chew over them for ages trying to work out people's true motives).

It just seems like such a weird thing to do, to announce to a perfect stranger that you hate them. :confused:

The world is such a weird and puzzling place.

*sigh*

With how light hearted and positive the man apparently was, in such a positive environment as a ren faire, I think it would be difficult to take something like that as the man actually hating her. My step-sister has asperger's and I understand how difficult it can be for someone with asperger's to understand sarcasm and certain jokes, but unless the person had some indication that the person he was addressing had the disorder, it's hard for me to call that rude.

By his actions afterward, it's pretty clear that he meant "envy" by "hate". I'm not sure if they have that saying in the UK where you're from? It's a joke based on how catty girls can get when they're jealous of one another. So, for someone to say that they hate another specifically because of a positive feature, that means that they really, really envy them. It's taken as a compliment.

Qamar
May 18th, 2011, 06:35 PM
Yes, SpeakingEZ, it was Esco. I usually do wear it down at faire unless it is a really windy day. I preoil it though, to help with the inevitable tangles, and either wear my faire hat or sunblock on my part, since I always burn my scalp. If you want to go to Southern in Irwindale, we are going Saturday. :)

His girlfriend thought it was a cute comment and also coveted my hair. :)

Alex Lou
May 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
That's great! How nice to be in an environment where your hair is truly appreciated.

I wore a wig to ren faire and got compliments on it from people thinking it's my real hair that inspire me to keep growing mine.

ALYSSA
May 18th, 2011, 06:48 PM
i wish i would get hair compliments! haha its funny because i tell people with long pretty hair stuff like that all the time and i get so excited i hope i dont scare them...by the way i hate you for your hair! its so long and pretty!

Jean Stuart
May 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Thats a real good pick me up! I would have floated all day.
I miss ren fairs. It would be so fitting to have one here too considering it is the oldest established city and we have great old buildings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Augustine,_Florida

Sookie
May 19th, 2011, 02:54 AM
Aw nice compliment!!!! :)
The best compliment i have ever heard is that i look like a queen..because of my hair and my fair skin..

Hailes
May 19th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Aww haha what a great compliment!

I get people asking if my hair is my own as its so thick and long! Or I get are they extensions? I don't like this one lol I am like does it look and feel like exstensions?? NO Lol this is "au naturale" hehe

And at my old work place they all used to love my hair, they'd say "People would pAy a fortune to have hair like yours" Lol - I like that one :D

Chetanlaiho
May 19th, 2011, 05:53 AM
I totally read that as 'I hate your hair!' at first xD good to see it was an odd compliment instead ;)

CrystalStar
May 19th, 2011, 05:57 AM
That's a really nice compliment! Albeit worded a bit oddly, I'm sure ti was said with only the best intention! :)