PDA

View Full Version : In this scenario, would bobby pins cause bald patches??

shikara
April 11th, 2011, 12:02 AM
Okay so after mush frustration with trying forks, sticks, and everything else for updos (never worked - hair always tugged) I found that if I place my updo higher on my head and use only two of the large bobby pins, there is no tugging, and the buns stay up:D The problem is that I don't have a ton of hair so as the hair is manipulated, by the time the updo is ready to pin, there are some places where the bobby pins seem to rest more on my scalp or only on a thin layer of hair, and I can feel that (mind you I can't sleep if I feel a single lonesome hair on the side of my neck!). So if the pin moves a little from time to time during the day (bending over etc) would that friction cause bald spots?

DoubleCrowned
April 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I'm not sure I understand the question. Are you saying that normally a bobby pin would not touch the scalp? That if a bobby pin lays on the scalp it would break hair?

I don't see how a bobby pin would hold hair in one spot unless it captured hair close to the scalp because if it were gripping the where the hair is say, an inch long, there would be an inch of "swing" rather than a firm foundation for a do.

spidermom
April 13th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Bobby pins almost always pull out hairs when I remove them. If you aren't having trouble with hairs being pulled out or broken off, there's probably nothing to worry about.

skyblue
April 13th, 2011, 09:30 AM
I have the same problems with sticks I finally, after having to redo my bun so many times during the course of the day, started using those little claw clips, not the tiny ones, but the next size up to hold my buns, I only need 2 or 3 at the most and now my buns stay..all day yay!

DoubleCrowned
April 13th, 2011, 11:03 PM
I have the same problems with sticks I finally, after having to redo my bun so many times during the course of the day, started using those little claw clips, not the tiny ones, but the next size up to hold my buns, I only need 2 or 3 at the most and now my buns stay..all day yay!

Do they show? How do you keep the hair from tangling in the handles? Can you post a picture?

BunnyBee
April 13th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Do they show? How do you keep the hair from tangling in the handles? Can you post a picture?

If you buy quality, well made ones there shouldn't be a problem. You can find ones with covered springs, just make sure they are very smooth.

Quality costs quite a bit, but they are worth it.