PDA

View Full Version : I cut my own hair!

2peasinapod
April 10th, 2011, 11:52 PM
I don't trim, but I was getting so tired of my straggly, uneven ends. I'm also at a bit of a growth stall (:(), so I figured it can't really hurt, right? I used feye's method. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially for my first try. I'm afraid it looks a little uneven, though. What do you think? Did I mess up, or is that just the perfectionist in me? ;)

before:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4320&pictureid=100122

after:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4320&pictureid=100123

Sorry for the pics being so big; I swear they looked reasonable before I uploaded them!

Slinks
April 10th, 2011, 11:57 PM
I think you did a good job and the pictures are not as big as you thought :-) I'm not game enough just yet to cut my hair .. I will one day tho ..

darklion
April 11th, 2011, 12:36 AM
It looks good!
I just did mine for the first time this week too!

Dragon
April 11th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I have to agree with the others that you have done a great job.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 11th, 2011, 12:58 AM
It looks nice :) Wish you'd done mine last summer instead of me X)

Yozhik
April 11th, 2011, 01:02 AM
Good job! Your hemline looks really good. :)

I finally got the courage to try feye's trim myself, about a month ago. At first I was quite scared, but I like my results. In order to make sure I got it even, I redid my ponytails a couple of times to check that I hadn't left any stragglers.

I definitely find this method a lot easier than going to the hairdresser's. :D

MonaLisa
April 11th, 2011, 01:39 AM
It looks pro ;) Good job!

Mesmerise
April 11th, 2011, 02:40 AM
I think you did a good job! Any sort of unevenness is probably due to your hair having some waves, but overall I think it was done really well.

I'm going to do a self trim on the 16th (cause it's supposed to be a good haircut day to promote growth :p), so we'll see how I do!

Phexlyn
April 11th, 2011, 03:01 AM
Good job! It gets easier each time you trim your hair. I know I was really nervous the first time I cut my hair myself and checked in the mirror a hundred times if everything was nice and even. Now I just estimate and trim a little, check back and trim some more and it usually is nice and straight. Although I must admit that it's very easy to trim my hair at its current length (tailbone). I had a harder time when it was shorter. :)

iluvkorn
April 11th, 2011, 03:20 AM
i can't see the pic (maybe because i'm a new member?) but i'm sure you did a wonderful job. i used feye's method 2 weeks ago and i was amazed at how easy it was and the face that *i cut my own hair*. that blows my mind.

Venefica
April 11th, 2011, 05:17 AM
It looks very good, it looks like a hairdresser did it.

Shield31
April 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I agree with others. You did a great job and the hemline is fine in the picture.:):):)

selderon
April 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I can't for the life of me tell whether your hemline is even or not. It would be much easier if your hair were straightened. That said, I wouldn't even occur to me that it might be uneven if you hadn't said anything.

Becky Safari
April 11th, 2011, 09:09 AM
Great job! I remember how nervous I was about my first self-trim, but they get addicting once you realize you can do it yourself

WaitingSoLong
April 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I think you did a good job! Any sort of unevenness is probably due to your hair having some waves, but overall I think it was done really well.

I'm going to do a self trim on the 16th (cause it's supposed to be a good haircut day to promote growth :p), so we'll see how I do!

OH MAN I was supposed to check about this before I trimmed my hair. Do you have the April dates or know where I can find them?

And to the OP, I just did this myself (second time I self-trimmed unless you count all my experiments back in the early 90's) and I am always so scared of it ending up uneven. I think mine turned out OK but I did not take pictures. I think your trim looks great and welcome to the world of self-trimming! I haven't been to a stylist since August 2009 when the lady botched my trim and I lost 4" due to having it fixed. It was then I took a good look at Feye's self-trim instructions and haven't looked back :)

2peasinapod
April 11th, 2011, 09:43 PM
Thank you for all your kind comments! I was pretty sure it was ok, but it's really hard to tell up close (is that a layer that's straightened or an end I missed), it's always nice to get an outside opinion. I've even gotten a couple of comments in real life about how nice and blunt my ends look.

All of you who are nervous about self trimming, I definitely recommend it. I was so nervous at first, but after I did it and waited for about a day, I'm amazed at how easy it is. I'm never going to a stylist again!

This (http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html) is the moon cycle I use, and here (http://www.longhairlovers.com/moon_maintenance.html) are the dates (don't forget to change your location at the top!).

Thanks again, everyone! :flower:

Tressie
April 11th, 2011, 09:59 PM
Good job! I've not had the courage to try this yet, but I need to! (o:

Karmi
April 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
I'm going to be trimming my own hair for the first time on the 16th, as well. :) Really nervous, but not nearly as nervous as I get when I went to my stylist.

Trimming my own hair has come about the last year when my stylist/friend of several years had started cutting off 4" one visit to the next. Certainly I was upset the first time, but I went back anyway feeling rather helpless. She is somewhat of a personal friend, and years ago she invited me to her salon when I told her how upset I was that my previous stylist never listened and cut how ever much she wanted. Well, when I started going to my friends salon, as the years went on and my hair grew longer and longer, she began pulling the same stunt and cut whatever she felt was right. I had always made it very clear to her that I was growing my hair out to my hip bone. . she said she was hoping to grow hers out that length as well. I definitely noticed when she said it so competitively.

Later on, when I told her how sad I am that it seemed as if my hair was never going to grow (rather than telling her that her trims are taking too much length) she pushed on me the idea that my hair had reached the length it reached and was never going to grow any longer (slightly past bsl) no matter what I did, it was never going to happen. My stars!! Never?!?? I then told her I would bring in photos of my hair last year to compare with photos this year, and she said, 'well if that's true, it's probably something you're not doing right". This hurt me a bit because of her tone. And here I will note that I take very good care of my hair. I realize splits are inevitable, and breakage can be quite common especially at BSL, but my hair was far past BSL last year, so I know it can grow, and grow healthy. She wanted to convince me some sort of negativity and I wasn't having it.

Now, I should have just been truthful with her to begin with, and told her she cut too much. I don't think she is one who takes any sort of criticism very well. In the end, it is possible that when I stressed for her not to cut too much, she may have felt as if I didn't trust her abilities, and perhaps out of laziness or selfishness, started sabotaging my length. :"(

Well, now... I've always been one willing to take matters into my own hands. Sooo... Let the self-trimming begin! And I applaud any man or woman brave enough to take the first step and carry on without worry!

x0h_bother
April 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Very nice job! :blossom:

Avital88
April 12th, 2011, 07:18 AM
you did a good job, it looks neat!

MonaMayfair
April 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM
It looks good to me too!
I'm thinking about getting up the courage to do this myself. I think my hair's about the same length as yours (maybe a little shorter) and I haven't had it cut since it was cut into a chin length bob the year before last.
I'm still kicking myself for getting it cut, it would have been waist length by now if I hadn't. But I'd always wanted a 1920s bob, I loved it for about 3 months and then started freaking out about having short hair!
Anyway, I want to avoid hairdressers in the future!