PDA

View Full Version : What are your experiences with aloe vera to hold curls and to keep updo up?

shikara
April 10th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I know that people have used aloe vera to reduce slip in hair and to hold curls. I'd sure like to hear people's successes and failures with that!!

darklion
April 11th, 2011, 12:38 AM
I wasn't successful in my use of aloe vera. It did nothing for me.
:(

Laurenji
April 11th, 2011, 12:46 AM
I'll be watching this thread because I'm kind of curious as well. I have a whole stash of aloe vera which I'd like to be able to use for more than just SMTs.

Sundial
April 11th, 2011, 01:05 AM
I use aloe vera gel to style my bangs! :D Normal products make me break out in hives or rash so I have been switching most of my hair products to organic or natural stuff to make my skin happy. Seeing that my bangs are always in contact with my face, it makes sense to keep my styling products as natural as possible.

Usually I wet my bangs a little and apply AVG before I put it into a velcro roller. I have a picture of both styled and unstyled bangs in my album. I also apply some AVG to my length (after I mist my length lightly) when I feel like it. I know some LHCers say it helps to reduce frizz, but I have not really been paying attention to see if it makes a difference.

ETA: the curl in my bangs usually holds pretty well for almost the whole day. It flattens out faster if it is really humid or if I came into contact with water (rain, etc).

BlueCanary
April 11th, 2011, 01:59 AM
I'm really excited to try aloe myself. It's just not something I would have ever known about as a hair product before LHC.

I'm interested in everyone's experiences as well.

3azza
April 11th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I tried AVG once and did not like it, BUT mine was a small bottle so i used a tiny amount, and it also contained alcohol.

misstwist
April 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM
It works better with curls when mixed with castor oil and coconut oil to make a curl cream.

Theobroma
April 11th, 2011, 07:26 AM
It works better with curls when mixed with castor oil and coconut oil to make a curl cream.

Sounds interesting! How many parts AVG do you use to how many parts of the oils?