PDA

View Full Version : spf lotion that won't leave a white cast?

Luna12345
April 10th, 2011, 10:54 PM
Hi, I purchased Olay facial moisturizer with spf and I hate it, it left a white cast on my face. I want to purchase a face moisturizer and also a body lotion with spf...one that wont leave a white cast...I prefer something without chemicals...
Does anyone know of one thats good and inexpensive?

oops! I realize I posted this in the wrong forum, Im not sure how to move it

UltraBella
April 10th, 2011, 11:42 PM
On my face I use LORAC tinted moisturizer with SPF30. I really like it and it absorbs into my skin quickly, no white hue and no shine. Good stuff !
I use Neutrogena spray sunblock on my body, I am WAY too lazy to rub it on.

christine1989
April 10th, 2011, 11:49 PM
I really like Aveeno positivly radiant daily moisturizer with SPF 15. It leaves a white cast for the first few minutes but absorbs quickly and does not feel heavy or oily. Aveeno also has a sunblock made specifically for your face with a 100 spf but it does not absorb quite as well.

jexichan
April 11th, 2011, 12:25 AM
I don't have any specific suggestions yet, but I recommend consulting this sunscreen guide:
http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

I was surprised to find out how badly my expensive Aveeno facial sunscreen performed!

UltraBella
April 11th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I don't have any specific suggestions yet, but I recommend consulting this sunscreen guide:
http://www.ewg.org/2010sunscreen/

I was surprised to find out how badly my expensive Aveeno facial sunscreen performed!

I have visited that website previously, and I don't necessarily agree with it's guidelines. I am not nearly as fearful of vitamin A and other ingredients as I am of a bad burn. I judge a sunscreen on how it performed. Did it prevent a sunburn, did it irritate my skin, did I feel greasy, sticky, etc.
I know there are risks when putting chemicals on your skin but for me the risk of being burned is worse.

Firefox7275
April 11th, 2011, 07:35 AM
What level of protection are you looking for? Have you tried a tinted moisturiser? What do you mean by chemical-free? Both coconut oil and unrefined shea butter have a low SPF and are natural.

Anje
April 11th, 2011, 08:11 AM
Well, I just tried the Gold Bond Ultimate Protection SPF 15 stuff on my face (body lotions often work well on my face), and it appears to be comedogenic for me. Too bad, because it's oxybenzone-free and doesn't burn the skin near my eyes like Olay and so many other sunblocks.

Siiri
April 11th, 2011, 08:23 AM
You may be familiar with this, but I thought to write it anyway in case. If you mean you are looking for an organic product, most of them leave a white residue because they provide a physical shield, which is mostly made of minerals like titanium dioxide. "Normal" sun lotions have a chemical shield as well, which doesn't leave your skin looking white, but organic (certified) products are not allowed to have these, because they absorb into your skin and are potentially harmful.

I haven't yet found a good organic sun screen that isn't too thick or leave my skin white:( But most of all what troubles me with them is that they rub off easily, and because they only have the physical shield, I get easily burned. I just bought an organic sun lotion from Sante (don't know if they sell it there), which seems to be pretty good, but I haven't tested it in action, since it's not that sunny here yet. Normally I buy sun lotions from pharmacy. There they have a few with no parabens, silicones and too much fragrance, but they still work and have both physical and chemical shield.

HintOfMint
April 11th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Neutrogena makes a really sheer face sunblock and it works really well. I have dark skin, so any normal sunblock will really show up on my face and make me look like Casper.

PS: a sunscreen without chemical absorbers (i.e. only physical blockers like zinc oxide or titanium dioxide and the like) will leave even more of a white cast because they have to physically shield your face from the sun.

wavykisses
April 11th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Devita sunscreen spf 30 does not leave a white cast it is a physical blocker with a 19% of zinc oxide and it is not made with nanoparticles.
I really like this sunscreen it feels like you are not wearing anything and my skin breathes,
check it out, it is a little expensive but I use it only on my face.
If you get it from amazon is cheaper and they send you the new bottle with more sunscreen.

teela1978
April 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Well, I just tried the Gold Bond Ultimate Protection SPF 15 stuff on my face (body lotions often work well on my face), and it appears to be comedogenic for me. Too bad, because it's oxybenzone-free and doesn't burn the skin near my eyes like Olay and so many other sunblocks.

Olay actually changed their formula back to octinoxate and zinc oxide so its not as burning as it was for a little bit there :) Which is probably why the op is noticing the whitish cast... I don't see it myself when I use it.

csm--carla
April 11th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I like this one very much:

http://www.amazon.com/Roche-Posay-Anthelios-Moisturizing-Mexoryl-3-4-Ounces/dp/B000R9A56I/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IPB0MZN9KS7MQ&colid=U1WC8V9HT3KL

AND it gets a good rating on the cosmetics data base.

There is dimethicone in it and so acts like a make-up base--so smooth! Lovely!!

EricaLee83
April 11th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I personally haven't tried this, but my stepdad who was recently diagnosed with skin cancer on his face :( uses this one which was recommended by his doctor.

http://images.neutrogena.com/images//products_store/en_us/product_images/6886026_600x600.jpg

LotusFIre
April 11th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Ok so no ones mentioned my faves, so I'll put my two cents in! :)
I LOVE Bullfrog sunblock. It comes in a aerosol spray can, goes on clear and LASTS so long. I use Olay daily moisturizer , which has a SPF of 30, on my face every day, and it doesn't leave my face feeling greasy and looking white, I can put makeup over it.
The Bullfrog sunblock is about 8 dollars at Walmart, and the Olay moisturizer is about 9.

WaterMusic
April 11th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I've been using Ombrelle by L'Oreal Paris, the facial SPF 60 kind. It's pretty light, no problems with breakouts yet, and it doesn't have a white cast. To me, it looks almost like it gives my skin a bit of a glow.

LotusFIre
April 11th, 2011, 06:10 PM
lol oops I just realized that one if the products I love was one of the ones you had a problem with. I wonder if its the same one? Mine is in a yellow bottle. I didnt think it made my face white.

GrowingGlory
April 11th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Soleo Organics is rated "1" (very low risk) by EWG and it doesn't leave a white film on my skin.

Luna12345
May 5th, 2011, 10:06 PM
lol oops I just realized that one if the products I love was one of the ones you had a problem with. I wonder if its the same one? Mine is in a yellow bottle. I didnt think it made my face white.

Mine is the one for sensitive skin, I've tried applying less and it didn't leave a white cast but I have dry skin so applying a little bit is not what I'm used to and I also find that it doesn't spread very well .

dulce
May 7th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Olay spf complete[spf30] is great,just like a very light moisturizer and no stinging or white cast.Loved it but After having an early skin cancer I now use a stronger spf,L'orelle kids spf 60 as it's much less stinging on the eyes than other strong 60 spf's.It does leave shine and a white cast so after a few minutes I blot it lightly with tissue,then powder over with spf 30 minerals powder.

ange1ito
May 7th, 2011, 07:28 PM
I picked up Olay as it was on bogof at the Boots in UK and experienced the same issue so i save it for bedtime moisturiser instead of wasting it.

If you are looking for something just as a daily moisturiser I would suggest Clinique as I use this one and felt it was better than some of the previous stuff I have used. I would recommend the Dr.Organics Manuka Honey or Pomegranate moisturisers which were also quite lovely on the skin, but I can't recall what SPF they were.

Prior to this I was using YSL solidly for a good 5 years or so, but the clinique one has higher sunscreen which influenced my choice.

dulce
May 7th, 2011, 08:03 PM
I just read previous posts and you didn't like Olay. I wonder if it was the same one I used? I really liked it for me,but had to switch to a stronger spf,so far even the non-oily spf ones leave a shine and so far,all the ones I tried left a white cast.So I can't be of much help.Blotting helps remove some shine and some white cast but might also remove some protection?

Luna12345
May 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I just read previous posts and you didn't like Olay. I wonder if it was the same one I used? I really liked it for me,but had to switch to a stronger spf,so far even the non-oily spf ones leave a shine and so far,all the ones I tried left a white cast.So I can't be of much help.Blotting helps remove some shine and some white cast but might also remove some protection?

I guess olay works diffierently for diffirent skin types...I posted another thread , I've recently discovered red raspberry seed oil has spf 28-50 so I'm actually gonna try it out for my face instead of a mousturizer with spf. Atleast the oil contains no chemicals:)

Lollipop
May 11th, 2011, 11:13 PM
I only tried a tester, and it's really expensive, but DeVIta has a good one for the face and body with spf 30. Be forewarned, it's like $26 for 6oz. I'm going to buy it tomorrow since I'm on retin-a and benzaclin, and I cannot afford sun exposure. However, based on the reviews, it is not good for sports/sweating. Either way, when I tried it it felt great! Made my skin nice and soft, without that heavy sunscreen smell/feel :mad:. Plus most sunscreens give me MAJOR breakouts.