PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, I have the ugliest hair here!!!!

cinemax
April 10th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I have fine thin hair. My pony is 1.5 inches. My length is 22 inches but my sides are about chin to shoulder length from breakage. ( I think) I am having a pitty party about it. A big pitty part. If you woke up in the morning and had my hair on your head, you and everyone you know would think you were seriously ill.
I've been here since Jan. 1st. I've changed a lot of my hair care routine from suggestions here and think they have helped but I'm so far from having normal hair I can just wear down or even in a pony tail. I'm even embarrased to wear it down in from of my hubby.
I have had half my thyroid removed and am on medication for that. I'm also taking Biotin . I'm conditioning the back and washing my scalp. Using Cassia and other Indian herbs and have started using coconut oil once a week. All of this I have learned here. Thank you for that! I know that without this LHC I wouldn't stand a chance of having healthy long hair. I'm hoping for some suggetions from any of you.

jesis
April 10th, 2011, 10:19 PM
Do you use heat? If so, cut it out right away!

You're probably a lot harder on yourself than you should be. I know I am. :) I would say either put it up and forget about it or go in and get the "big chop". It's 100% up to you though.

Good luck! :flower:

isshevital
April 10th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I'll wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in, but I'd just like to share that my mother's thyroid has recently stopped working because of a medication that she's taking. She has always had thick, poufy hair but it has thinned out significantly. I'm going to venture a guess that nothing will be a perfect solution, but doing scalp massages to promote hair growth and minimizing breakage for the hair that you do have should at least result in a small improvement.

Miss Catrina
April 10th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I don't really have any advice, just sympathy... I have thin hair too and I'm self-conscious about it just about every day of my life.

teela1978
April 10th, 2011, 10:28 PM
If you're anything like me you'll have some good shedding from your thyroid being messed up (had my right lobe taken out last August). Once my meds were straightened out things calmed down. Now I have lots of new hairs growing out, they're kind of annoying, can't wait for them to get longer!

rena
April 10th, 2011, 10:31 PM
You couldn't have hair as bad as you say at all! Like Jesis said, you are probably being too hard on yourself. Most of us tend to be, when we do not realize we look totally opposite of what we think we look like to others. I have a near literal tumleweed for hair right now (seriously, it sticks up and everything) and people don't turn to stone if they look at me :D.

Just be patient, I'm sure your hair will be in great shape before you know it! Just remember to keep it free of splits, (and you can chop any other kind of damage as well, but only if you feel comfy with the length it will bring you to) and keep up your healthier routine, your new hair (that will hopefully give you more thickness) will thank you for it. :). I hope I could help.

picklepie
April 10th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Cinemax! Go easy on yourself! You are dealing with a serious medical condition that most people do not have to even think about, for one thing. And an interesting world requires all kinds of people with all kinds of hair-- big and thick and crazy, and smooth and fine and straight. As your hair gets longer and responds to your gentle treatment, you can assure yourself that you are doing what you need to do to keep yourself healthy, and your hair in the best condition it can be in, and that's a lot!

I was embarrassed by my hair for so many years (because it was big and crazy) and what a waste. If only I had rocked that terrible frizz with confidence, I think no one would have thought twice about it. Really, can you tell your husband how you are feeling, so you'll have an ally? Tell him that you have decided to love yourself just the way you are, and that you will be yourself around him, thin hair and all, because you trust him to love you just the way you are as well!

I know it's just a pep talk, no practical suggestions, but I heard the pain in your post and my heart went out. Hair is such an important part of the way we see ourselves, it can be a real challenge when it's not what we'd like it to be. Hugs!

vanillabones
April 10th, 2011, 10:40 PM
Hey now I'm definitely in the running for ugliest hair here (not the same as in my pic that was after a salon hiding damage) trust me if I send you a pic of my all-splits faded bronzy rust shoulder length mullet from last month you might reconsider ;)

tanya222
April 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
Biotin's great, also eat extra oatmeal, oats have silica which is good for hair growth, or look into drinking a bit of horsetail tea, horsetail is good in silica. Also I second the scalp massages to increase circulation (even better, get your significant other to give you one!)

christine1989
April 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM
My hair has thickened up quite a bit since joining LHC. I also use biotin but had to give it time to see results so be patient with the suppliments. I've also had temporary luck with silica and great thickness increase with castor oil. Above all, keep in mind that nearly everyone on here has felt that their hair is "the ugliest ever" at one point in their lives- I sure have so don't be too hard on yourself!

TakeAPotatoChip
April 10th, 2011, 11:28 PM
There's a long thread here on castor oil for hair growth ( as in length) but there's speculation about thickness being increased.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=18265 :)
I don't think anything bad has been said about trying castor oil out, maybe you could pick some up if you haven't already. :)

shikara
April 10th, 2011, 11:40 PM
My heart goes out to you cinemax!! Is the thinness because of the thyroid - was it different before? As some others have said here, with patience, loving care, and a good solid knowledge base, your hair will be the best it can be. Patience is a biggie but I'll tell you - I can't believe how quickly the years fly by. A while ago I started wearing some scarves as shown on the website tzunius - I was prepared for funny looks, but I can't believe the comments I got. One guy told me emphatically it looked SOO cute (I'm in my early fifties!!!) And the younger guys at work, and the truckers we serve are also giving very positive feedback. I use the first example in the website (how to tie section) and the Jerusalem. I used to damp braid my hair from the scalp in four sections (two at the crown and two from bottom section- and yes, each braid was quite tiny) and put a roller on the bottom, then let it out in the morning. It gave the illusion of a lot of volume.

Qamar
April 11th, 2011, 02:15 AM
Teela, I also had (3/4) of my thyroid removed last August! I'm definitely showing hypothyroid symptoms including thinning of my already thin hair and lizard dry flaky skin, but they haven't started me on meds yet. You aren't alone Cinemax! I just trimmed off an inch of velcro hends and then did a coconut milk soak to revive the length. I'm pampering my hair and hoping it'll thicken up in time. Hang in there Cinemax. :grouphug:

alwayssmiling
April 11th, 2011, 02:29 AM
Hello, I don't have any advice on your medical condition so I would leave that to someone else. I just wanted to say when I joined here my hair was exactly as you described - it was long at the back and very broken at the sides (bleaching and heat styling). I wore a hat everyday or scraped into an alice band to disguise the damage!

Although even now its not very long, as I have slowly trimmed damaged away, I can honestly say I really like my hair now. Its thick (layers have grown out) my waves and curls have come back which I haven't seen for years, it shines and I enjoy my hair everyday.

For me it was stopping the bleach, cutting out as much heat as possible, and using leave in conditioner. I do recommend that you get your hair cut into a style that makes you feel good about yourself, then take your growing journey from there. Good luck and don't be too hard on yourself it probably doesn't look as bad as you think.

Mesmerise
April 11th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Having thin hair is definitely sucky, so I empathise with you there! The last few inches of my hair is just transparent looking and awful, and I'm embarrassed to wear it down too, and also embarrassed wearing it in a ponytail because it looks so scrawny at the top! Even updos look pitiful with wee tiny buns that should be much bigger with hair my length.

Anyway, I'm currently caring for my hair, supplementing with Biotin, MSM, silica and Evening Primrose Oil, doing castor oil on my scalp fairly regularly to help promote hair growth (the faster my hair grows, the faster it will thicken up), and just practicing patience (which is really hard for me!!).

I know my hair will get thicker as I have a lot of regrowth (although I don't have a thyroid problem, at least not one I know of... I just had massive shedding last year for no known reason). So I just give myself time and try to be kind to myself and NOT obsess over my hair!

Hopefully with the right treatment you'll start seeing your hair thickening up and you'll get new baby hairs. At first they'll look sort of silly, but you'll be glad for them anyway!

Firefox7275
April 11th, 2011, 04:45 AM
Please don't take any nutrient supplements without consulting a suitably qualified medical professional, especially given your diagnosis and prescribed medication. :o

Nae
April 11th, 2011, 05:04 AM
Please don't take any nutrient supplements without consulting a suitably qualified medical professional, especially given your diagnosis and prescribed medication. :o

I agree with this. It is important to talk to your doc if you are going to be taking anything.

Massages sound good, castor oil treatments sound good. Just hang in there!! Patience is really the key. I do hope that your medical issues get sorted out soon. :flower:

MsBubbles
April 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM
How long ago did you have your thyroid removed? It can take a while before you notice any discernible hair-benefits when you recover from trauma or illness. But hang in there!

I'm another thyroid/thin hair person. But I'm just hypothyroid and as long as my docs are on the ball, it's not a problem.

Anyway...there are some people here with 1 (a/b whatever)/F/i hair that is gorgeous. Their hair is so glossy I honestly don't care if it's thin because it looks so pretty.

So hang around and see what works for the hair you do have, and I think you'll feel better about it!:)

selderon
April 11th, 2011, 09:14 AM

It would be a great idea to write down all the suggestions and present them to your doctor or nutritionist to see whether any of them are appropriate for your specific needs.

cinemax
April 11th, 2011, 10:00 AM
I'm over whelmed by all the responses!!! Thank you so much.
I am taking the biotin as per my doctors suggestion but I will write down the supplements suggested here and take them to my doctor and see what she says. I have a appointment tomorrow. (how lucky is that)
I have castor oil and will start doing massages tonight. I will re-read all your posts and incorporate them into my routine.
I know I need to be patient. I cut my hair short a few years ago to thicken up the ends and truly loved it for a short time and then hated it later. I've been growing it out when all the sudden the sides were gone. (which led me here-thank God) I've been working with my doctor regarding my thyroid. I see her at the end of this month and I'm sure she'll up my thyroid medication. She's been slowly increasing the dosage.
Again, I thank you all for your concerns, suggestions and for taking the time to respond. Hugs back to all of you!!!!
I'm hopefull that I'll be able to dazzle you all with new awesome hair later. (I took one picture in Jan)

teela1978
April 11th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Teela, I also had (3/4) of my thyroid removed last August! I'm definitely showing hypothyroid symptoms including thinning of my already thin hair and lizard dry flaky skin, but they haven't started me on meds yet. You aren't alone Cinemax! I just trimmed off an inch of velcro hends and then did a coconut milk soak to revive the length. I'm pampering my hair and hoping it'll thicken up in time. Hang in there Cinemax. :grouphug:
Are they at least checking your levels? Are they normal? I was put on levothyroxine a few weeks after surgery, basically once things were healed around my thyroid.

cinemax
April 11th, 2011, 08:30 PM
Yes, I'm taking Armor thyroid. My levels are due to be taken in a few weeks and probably increased.
My husband swears my hair issues are thyroid related. Can't wait until this is all figured out.
Thanks for your concern!!!!

LuXious
April 11th, 2011, 08:50 PM
I'm hopefull that I'll be able to dazzle you all with new awesome hair later. (I took one picture in Jan)

You will! Look forward to it! As your meds get straightened out and summer moves along, you'll see differences. I enjoy seeing my hair change with the seasons. I like feeling like i'm another blooming, burgeoning thing in springtime or that my hair is something thick and cozy in winter (though it's been a couple of years). You can enjoy watching your hair improve at the same time the plants and flowers are blooming. Yeah, I know I sound like Snow White, and I don't care! :p Get positive, stay positive even through your discomfort, and soon enough you'll be out of it.
Also, I agree with getting a cut that makes it seem thicker and then let it grow. Just find a picture first to take to a stylist you know you can trust. I tell everyone that now as a result of my own experience. You could get a tricky cut that leaves it long but does away with damage. Where there's a will, there's a way.

Tressie
April 11th, 2011, 09:27 PM
I hope you get your meds regulated and that you are feeling more positive about your hair. We ALL have times when we think our hair is awful!! As others have said, don't be so hard on yourself. Pamper your hair and give it some time to respond to your care. My DS has had thyroid issues and thinning too. Sending you love and hugs! It will improve!! (o:

gattina
April 11th, 2011, 09:34 PM
look into vitamins for your thyroid what things you are lacking. get a good multi-vitamin. i have fine hair that i have been growing out from a pixie and i'm now a bsl wanting to be waist. i really started to improve hair quality when i started doing my own micro-trimming and stopped going to a stylist. fine hair needs to be one length, so try to grow out your layers. no matter what a stylist says, my hair looks so much thicker one length!

start co washing and using jojoba oil. this has helped me, and get some cute headbands, and start bunning your hair, i've bunned for one month straight now and notice such a difference. i'm going to try to bun all summer! good luck!

kwaniesiam
April 11th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Yes, I'm taking Armor thyroid. My levels are due to be taken in a few weeks and probably increased.
My husband swears my hair issues are thyroid related. Can't wait until this is all figured out.
Thanks for your concern!!!!

hijack/

Where have you found Armour, is it available again? There was a huge shortage and I had to order mine from Canada.

I'm currently on Synthroid and feel like I'm in hell, I don't tolerate it at all. I want back on my Armour but we couldn't find it anywhere and insurance didn't cover the Canadian pills.

Thyroid problems have been horrible for my hair too, I have noticed that castor oil on the scalp is making some stubble grow in. I have a buzzcut from having such severe hair loss after getting radiation treatment for thyroid cancer. Mine has been completely removed.

NordicPandi
April 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I'd suggest looking into iodine. My Mom has thyroid issues and now that she's taking iodine she has gotten off of Synthroid and is feeling much better.

I'm taking it and putting it on my scalp and I've noticed a lot of new hairs coming in. It's working for my boyfriend too.

I'm getting so many other benefits (nicer looking skin, better mood) that my friends have asked me what I'm taking and they have started taking iodine as well. I think many (if not most) Americans are deficient in it. My friends have noticed benefits within three weeks as far as better sleep and mood.

I've tried 6 different brands/types and my favorite is Magnascent for taking orally. My second favorite is Lugol's (and it's cheaper). I use Lugol's on my scalp.

If you want any more info, just let me know. I hope you find something that works wonderfully for you and feel better soon :grouphug:

cinemax
April 12th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Kwaniesiam,
I live in the Northern part of California. I get Armour at the pharmacy here in the small town I live in and my insurance covers it. I haven't had any trouble getting it and have been taking if for about 6 months. I've heard of the shortages but so far have been lucky.
I took Synthroid at one time and I didn't like it either.
If I can be of any other help let me know. I'm here everyday.
I've also read here about taking Iodine. I'm going to ask my doctor about this too. I have an appt. today with one doctor and another appt. with the doc that's been dealing with my thyroid issues at the end of this month.
Take care,
Cinemax

Where have you found Armour, is it available again? There was a huge shortage and I had to order mine from Canada.

I'm currently on Synthroid and feel like I'm in hell, I don't tolerate it at all. I want back on my Armour but we couldn't find it anywhere and insurance didn't cover the Canadian pills.

Thyroid problems have been horrible for my hair too, I have noticed that castor oil on the scalp is making some stubble grow in. I have a buzzcut from having such severe hair loss after getting radiation treatment for thyroid cancer. Mine has been completely removed.[/quote]

cinemax
April 12th, 2011, 08:48 AM
NordicPandi,
I will ask my doctor about Iodine. I've wondered about it myself. Is there a test you can take to see if your deficient? I can remember my dad putting some iodine on his arm and watching to see how long it took to disappear. I think this told him how much to take.
Thank you for the suggestion. :D
Cinemax

cinemax
April 12th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Thank you everyone for your responses. I've written all the suggestions down in my journal and will be incorporating them into my new hair care. Not all at once of course. ;)
I'm soaking up the good wishes, positive thoughts and hugs. They have meant more than you can imagine!!!!!!!
Sincerely,
Cinemax

kwaniesiam
April 12th, 2011, 09:24 AM
https://morroccomethod.com/

I've been using these products and they have also been helping, just another something to consider :)

I'm going to have to look around again to see if I can get Armour.

Misti
April 12th, 2011, 09:30 AM
hijack/

kwaniesiam, I don't know about Armour -- I went off it when it got so hard to find. My doctor put me on Naturthroid, which is also the old fashioned porcine version, but a difefrent brand - - I went from the hell your in to the best control of my life within a month -- and my hair stopped falling out! :D

Misti
April 12th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I have fine thin hair. My pony is 1.5 inches. My length is 22 inches but my sides are about chin to shoulder length from breakage. ( I think) I am having a pitty party about it. A big pitty part. If you woke up in the morning and had my hair on your head, you and everyone you know would think you were seriously ill.

cinemax, you actually have a lot of company here. I am still recovering from a bad hypothyroid incident a couple of years ago in which I lost almost half of my hair before I found out that the doctor had halved my synthroid dose at the same time as she took me off Armour (because "I don't belive in that stuff") I fired her and hired a naturopath and have been trying to recover my hair ever since.

As many people have mentioned, it takes time. Remember, even luxuriant growth only comes in at 1/2 inch per month, so it's going to take a long time to show at the ends.

In the meanwhile, take very good care of your hair and keep it up -- both to protect it, and because your best hair is going to be on display that way and you won't be as discouraged as your would if you focused on the length.

A trim is a good idea -- I just gave in and went from very near classic but thin and scraggly to tb and thin but less scraggly -- because the damage travels easily along the length and can keep your hair frayed looking. It's hard, but in the end it is worth it.

But most of all, take a deep breath. Your hair isn't what you want it to be yet -- but your on your way. And there are a lot of us who are in your boat. (I haven't had a picture in which my hair looked decent enough to sare since October when my husband got the one in my sig file.) What you see here is our hair at it's best -- but that doesn't mean some of us aren't struggling right along with you. ;)

teela1978
April 12th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Careful with iodine. I've heard its not the best idea for hypothyroidism unless you have certain types of it.

BlueCanary
April 12th, 2011, 11:02 AM
There's no such thing as ugly hair. Just hair that hasn't met its full potential yet. =)

Lifezbeautiful
April 12th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I am not letting anyone take the first place for having the 'ugliest hair ever' . Sorry,so forget about it.:)
Now I started loving my hair for the VERY FIRST time in my life,in 32yrs, since joining LHC.It felt sooo.....awkward to touch my scalp for oiling and massaging. It really felt bizzare......

But what I noticed is it all depends how YOU look at it. If you love it,others will love it too. Be proud of it and act as if it is the best hair ever, and you will be surprise to see that no one thinks of it as half bad as it is ;). Same goes with everything,your body,your job,your family.......OK ,I sound like a preacher now. Will stop.

I hope you find peace with your hair.(through LHC). We are all with you....

DoubleCrowned
April 12th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Cinemax,

Take heart. My ponytail is only 1 and 3/8 inch. My mother's is certainly less than an inch.

One idea no one has mentioned in this thread is whether or not to use shampoo. I have read that shampoo will strip the outer layers of the hair off, and I believe it because years ago the shampoo lather dripping off my head had a lot of my hair's color in it. My hair breaks off if I use most shampoos, so I wash it with plain water, egg, or soapwort if at all possible.

The other thought is one I have not tried, but some people here have mentioned dry shampoo as a way of making the hair seem thicker.

DoubleCrowned
April 12th, 2011, 11:41 PM
Oh! And a satin pillowcase or sleep bonnet to protect every precious wisp from further breakage!

tiny_teesha
April 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM
Hey at least you know it's because of sickness and it can get better!
Not like my hair, falling out and every test came back normal.

You should look through my album it will make you feel better.
Particularly the last photo i took here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=456&pictureid=87188).

jojo
April 13th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I too have thyroid problems and have had problems with thinning hair especially at my front and sides. I just try eating healthy, getting plenty to drink and exercise more. I did take biotin but it caused me to go into mild renal failure. I have found a diet rich in lentils and brown rice have really helped. Also try and keep it up as much as possible, make sure you don't put it up too tight.

cinemax
April 13th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Cinemax,

Take heart. My ponytail is only 1 and 3/8 inch. My mother's is certainly less than an inch.

One idea no one has mentioned in this thread is whether or not to use shampoo. I have read that shampoo will strip the outer layers of the hair off, and I believe it because years ago the shampoo lather dripping off my head had a lot of my hair's color in it. My hair breaks off if I use most shampoos, so I wash it with plain water, egg, or soapwort if at all possible.

The other thought is one I have not tried, but some people here have mentioned dry shampoo as a way of making the hair seem thicker.

Shampoo does seem to be pretty harsh for my hair. Been doing CWC but I'm going to read up on these. Thank you!!!!!!!!

cinemax
April 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM
There's no such thing as ugly hair. Just hair that hasn't met its full potential yet. =)

:):):) I like that. Looking forward to my full potential.

cinemax
April 13th, 2011, 03:53 PM
I am not letting anyone take the first place for having the 'ugliest hair ever' . Sorry,so forget about it.:)
Now I started loving my hair for the VERY FIRST time in my life,in 32yrs, since joining LHC.It felt sooo.....awkward to touch my scalp for oiling and massaging. It really felt bizzare......

But what I noticed is it all depends how YOU look at it. If you love it,others will love it too. Be proud of it and act as if it is the best hair ever, and you will be surprise to see that no one thinks of it as half bad as it is ;). Same goes with everything,your body,your job,your family.......OK ,I sound like a preacher now. Will stop.

I hope you find peace with your hair.(through LHC). We are all with you....

The support here is absolutely amazing!!!!!
I believe you are right!!!!!!!!:):):):)

AshNight1214
April 13th, 2011, 05:12 PM
I'm thinking you should try to take out anything that weakens your hair. So no heat and, if your hair is as delicate as you say, no water even. I suggest dry shampoo only (cornstarch if you don't want to pay premium bucks), maybe even sebum only. You could also try a sleep cap and finger combing instead of brushing. We'll save your hair yet!! :D

McFearless
April 13th, 2011, 09:24 PM
You are definately being too hard on yourself.

What colour is your hair? If you like red hair you could try out henna. Many people on here have thicker, stronger strands because of it.

Stay strong. <3

NordicPandi
April 13th, 2011, 11:36 PM
Yes, that's the only at home iodine deficiency test that I know of. You wait to see how long it takes to disappear. If I remember correctly it says to paint a 3 inch by 3 inch patch and if it disappears within 24 hours the person is deficient. The more quickly it goes away the more deficient the person is.

If you're interested in lab testing this has a link for ordering tests from home
http://www.iodine4health.com/ortho/iodine_loading_test.htm

I've been amazed at all it's done for me, though I've done a lot of research and found it's difficult to wade through the information :( maybe because I don't have a very scientific mind. I have found it's quite the controversial subject though! My doctor happens to agree with supplementation, but I've heard there are many who don't.
From what I understand the big debate isn't whether we need it, but how much we need. Some sources say Americans consume an average of 150 mcg while the Japanese consume an average of 12-18mg (which is 12,000-18,000mcg) per day.

I have found that some of the main people who are for iodine supplementation are Dr. Brownstein, Dr. Flechas, and Dr. Abraham. Searches on the internet will bring up some of their writings and research if you're interested. I'm totally happy to share any links or information that I found helpful, I just feel bad putting up a million links.

http://breastcancerchoices.org/iodineindex.html
Just one more :) This site has whole section of interesting information on iodine testing, iodine protocol and other iodine topics.

I hope you're feeling better, try to be nice to yourself even when your hair isn't your favorite :) I know it helps me to buy something for my hair, like a new hair toy or new oil, shampoo, etc. After reading UltraBella's posts now I've got my eye on the Caruso curlers...those just might be next :)

Debra83
April 13th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Hope you are feeling better? Medically?

Didn't read the whole thread, but one thing that popped into my mind is to try to only comb it when you have conditioner on it. That should help stop any further breaking. Good luck and big hug!

cinemax
April 15th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I'm thinking you should try to take out anything that weakens your hair. So no heat and, if your hair is as delicate as you say, no water even. I suggest dry shampoo only (cornstarch if you don't want to pay premium bucks), maybe even sebum only. You could also try a sleep cap and finger combing instead of brushing. We'll save your hair yet!! :D

Thank you so much!!! I'm looking up info suggested here. I've had an out pouring of good advice and concern.
Your all awesome!!!!

cinemax
April 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Hope you are feeling better? Medically?

Didn't read the whole thread, but one thing that popped into my mind is to try to only comb it when you have conditioner on it. That should help stop any further breaking. Good luck and big hug!

Great idea!! :):):) I have tangles on ends of my hair every day since it's gotten longer.

cinemax
April 15th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Yes, that's the only at home iodine deficiency test that I know of. You wait to see how long it takes to disappear. If I remember correctly it says to paint a 3 inch by 3 inch patch and if it disappears within 24 hours the person is deficient. The more quickly it goes away the more deficient the person is.

If you're interested in lab testing this has a link for ordering tests from home
http://www.iodine4health.com/ortho/iodine_loading_test.htm

I've been amazed at all it's done for me, though I've done a lot of research and found it's difficult to wade through the information :( maybe because I don't have a very scientific mind. I have found it's quite the controversial subject though! My doctor happens to agree with supplementation, but I've heard there are many who don't.
From what I understand the big debate isn't whether we need it, but how much we need. Some sources say Americans consume an average of 150 mcg while the Japanese consume an average of 12-18mg (which is 12,000-18,000mcg) per day.

I have found that some of the main people who are for iodine supplementation are Dr. Brownstein, Dr. Flechas, and Dr. Abraham. Searches on the internet will bring up some of their writings and research if you're interested. I'm totally happy to share any links or information that I found helpful, I just feel bad putting up a million links.

http://breastcancerchoices.org/iodineindex.html
Just one more :) This site has whole section of interesting information on iodine testing, iodine protocol and other iodine topics.

I hope you're feeling better, try to be nice to yourself even when your hair isn't your favorite :) I know it helps me to buy something for my hair, like a new hair toy or new oil, shampoo, etc. After reading UltraBella's posts now I've got my eye on the Caruso curlers...those just might be next :)

I have an apt. with my Gynecologist who is working with me and adjusting my thyroid medication. I'm going to ask her about iodine. I think I have some iodine and will do the test on myself to see how it comes out before I see her. I have blood tests next Thursday and my apt. the following Thurs. It sure would be wonderful if that was the missing link. :D
Thank you for the info.