PDA

View Full Version : Can't hold onto this hair any longer?

xoxophelia
April 10th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I could really use some quick input on the to cut or not to cut debate. I currently don't have a functioning camera so I will just describe the ends of my hair:

-"bushy" and isn't floppy.. instead it is almost stiff regardless of ACV rinses, not using protein.. I am certain it is damage
-it is getting more and more brassy from washed out black dye while my roots are about 9-12" and are a cool brown
-uneven and 100% dull and has started to tangle on itself without even a gust of wind
-also raggedy looking from old shed/dye/heat damage from before joining LHC

My original goal was to grow to 35" this year but I haven't been happy with my hair since the start of the year and have been wanting to cut off a significant amount (about 4") to get rid of the worst looking part. My DBF had said I should wait to decide until June and he likes my hair but I am getting tired of disliking every part of myself right now (also had a weight gain from going on and off BC).

I have been very patient cutting off the dye and the damage since joining but I have to be honest, I am just getting tired of my hair being so.. well.. ugly (stiff, doesn't move, no shine).

And I feel like my hair is in a way holding me back. I want to shed this weight and work on myself in more ways than one and just feel like I can't even stand my hair anymore.

Like I said, I have been thinking a lot about it for awhile now and would love nothing more than to cut off those inches tonight and then wake up tomorrow and start a new diet/work out plan. As time has gone on, I have become less concerned with length and more wanting to just have hair that I can enjoy. I do think I would be happy growing back to 30" and then sticking there until my hair is healthier.

I just want some input from people here.. maybe even a little encouragement to go ahead with the trim that I have really been putting off for quite a long time. I think I am really ready to let go of the old hair and move forward with my life.

It is odd how emotional and almost symbolic hair can be.. :(

Lostsoule77
April 10th, 2011, 08:30 PM
I think that being happy is what is important in the long hair journey. I think if the ends are being tangly then that probably is an indication that you should trim. Have you tried using a chelating shampoo? I've heard that can help. Four inches is a lot, but should only take about 8 months to grow back if you have average growth.
You have said that you have thought about this for awhile now so normally I would say that the two week rule doesn't apply. You also mentioned that you had some weight gain and are hating every part of yourself. Perhaps you should put an extra couple of weeks thought into this. Start that diet/exercise routine. See if that starts to change how you are feeling in general. You don't want to cut just because you're in a funk. You probably still need a trim, but maybe not a whole four inches.
In the end though you have to be happy. If that four inches really is going to make the difference in your emotional well being then after those two weeks go for it. It is only hair and will grow back.

jaine
April 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I have been thinking a lot about it for awhile now and would love nothing more than to cut off those inches tonight and then wake up tomorrow and start a new diet/work out plan. As time has gone on, I have become less concerned with length and more wanting to just have hair that I can enjoy. I do think I would be happy growing back to 30" and then sticking there until my hair is healthier.

It sounds like you know what you want to do ... and I think it is a good decision!

Well, either decision would be good but I'm partial to the "haircut = fresh start" symbolism because it works so well for me. :) It helped me at least twice in the past. I got a psychological boost from looking in the mirror and seeing something different.

Miss Catrina
April 10th, 2011, 08:51 PM
I would go for the cut. It's going to have to come off sometime, right? Why prolong the negative feelings about your hair any longer than you have to? There's not much point in extra length if it's length you don't feel good about. :)

WaterMusic
April 10th, 2011, 08:57 PM
It's only four inches. If you wanted to chop it all off, I'd say to wait a while to make sure, but like a PP said, four inches will grow back in roughly 8 months.

I'd suggest trying the chelating shampoo first, just in case it's a mineral buildup problem.

Wheatland
April 10th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I agree with jaine. Sounds like you already know what you want to do. In the long run, I don't think 4" is that big of a deal and it sounds like that's what will make you happy.

Sometimes we all just need a bit of change in our lives.

I hope you're happy with whatever decision you make and I'm sure you'll look beautiful no matter what you do!

rosieex3
April 10th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I feel exactly how you do right now. My hair is extremely chemically damaged from removing black hair dye a year ago. I have about 6 inches of virgin hair regrowth, which I love. But the rest of my hair brings me down so much. It's dry, tangled, crunchy, and piecey looking. The color looks very orange in some lighting, and its extremely patchy. There are white dots and splits at the ends of my hair. I'm also growing out these awful layers which makes it even worse. I've been wanting to chop up to at least BSL or even shorter. It would be SO nice to just get rid of even 75% of that hair..but I am very attached to it. I simply don't feel like "starting over," and I honestly don't look good with shorter hair. But I think I might do it. Next week I'm going to the salon, and I'll probably make a spur of the moment decision.

Anyway, I hope whichever decision you choose makes you happy. If you are unhappy with your hair, something's gotta change right? Maybe try cutting an inch at a time? I wish i could take my own advice. :) Good luck!

DoubleCrowned
April 10th, 2011, 09:10 PM
One thing to consider is your phrase, "I am getting tired of disliking every part of myself right now..." If you use your hair as the scapegoat for that emotion, cutting your hair will not make you feel better about yourself in the long run, although it might give you a temporary boost.

Tackling the diet and exercise right now--this very minute--would be a message to your psyche that you intend to change things, and a sign that you love yourself enough to care for your health. It's the subtle difference between throwing out a symbol (hair) of the real problem ("...disliking every part of myself...") and getting to the true core of the issue (why you ended up letting your body get into its present condition). Once you sort out the emotions, cutting the hair can be a beautiful symbol of a new beginning; otherwise, you may be looking for something else to toss in a week or two.

Of course, I am not inside your head; only you can know if you have come to terms with the underlying emotions...but you asked for input...

vanillabones
April 10th, 2011, 09:17 PM
If it were me, I would not even hesitate. I would trim off those stiff scraggles tonight! :) Mostly because raggedy ends drive me insane but your hair is wavy so it's probably less noticeable. Either way what good is that extra four inches if it's damaged stiff and you feel it's ugly. I think your hair will feel better as will your subconscious. I would go for it, you'll have healthier neat clean hair to maintain/grow again ^^

Becky Safari
April 10th, 2011, 09:17 PM
I have the same dilemma, but I am choosing to cut it about 1/2 inch every month or so instead of 4 inches all at once. But sometimes I am really close to just cutting it all at once! Right now my last 4/5 inches are what's left of my flat ironing days and those last inches look bad no matter what I do because they are thinner than the rest of my hair (also due to being the last layer).

If you feel the need to cut all of it as a catalyst to a "new you" then I say go for it!

UltraBella
April 10th, 2011, 09:28 PM
My last trim was a good 4 inches or so and I am so glad I did it ! I cut from TB back to hip and I don't regret it one bit. Most people don't even notice the length difference.
I say go for it !

SurprisingWoman
April 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM
You aren't happy.

Hair is one thing that MOST people on this board are enjoying and makes them feel good.

ANYTHING that becomes more work than bonus, more payout than payoff isn't really worth it.

It's hair and it will grow.

If your hair is that damaged then the damage could creep up the healthy hair and affect it.

IT'S JUST HAIR. If a few inches is making you feel badly then GET RID OF IT. This is LHC but the Long of the Hair Community is not the most important part. This is a hair community to help you achieve healthy hair. Long will be the end result for those who want it but not all.

Maybe we should change the group to HHC.... Healthy Hair Community

Signe
April 10th, 2011, 09:38 PM
I was having the same dull-dry-stiff-crunchy-ends-that-tangle-no-matter-what problem. The ends of the longest parts of my hair were left over from a MASSIVE bleach job I did a few years ago.
I went WO for a while and used oils and s&d and now I couldn't be happier. The WO was mostly for my scalp but the oils and s&d combination COMPLETELY transformed my ends. Now they are soft and bouncy and barely tangle at all.

Granted, it was a gradual process of 2 months doing a small bit of almost daily s&d until I felt happy with the results...now I stretch time between sessions out more.

I understand the need to get a cut when the ends are that bad, but if you are so hesitant about it now why not try a more gradual approach?

:)

spidermom
April 10th, 2011, 09:41 PM
Don't wait another second. DO IT!

xoxophelia
April 10th, 2011, 09:43 PM
I am a little surprised to even see any replies so thank you everybody! I will answer this and then do the decided deed.

I think that being happy is what is important in the long hair journey. I think if the ends are being tangly then that probably is an indication that you should trim. Have you tried using a chelating shampoo? I've heard that can help. Four inches is a lot, but should only take about 8 months to grow back if you have average growth.
You have said that you have thought about this for awhile now so normally I would say that the two week rule doesn't apply. You also mentioned that you had some weight gain and are hating every part of yourself. Perhaps you should put an extra couple of weeks thought into this. Start that diet/exercise routine. See if that starts to change how you are feeling in general. You don't want to cut just because you're in a funk. You probably still need a trim, but maybe not a whole four inches.
In the end though you have to be happy. If that four inches really is going to make the difference in your emotional well being then after those two weeks go for it. It is only hair and will grow back.

I think I agree that maybe a whole 4" is not needed at once so I may do a bit less than that. My weight is part of it but I didn't mention that it is a whole lot more than that. I came out of a very terrible situation awhile before joining LHC and had managed to get to a point where I could inch along. But I am tired of not really moving forward. The hair used to be a lot worse but yeah I mean.. it is pretty rough. -_-...

It sounds like you know what you want to do ... and I think it is a good decision!

Well, either decision would be good but I'm partial to the "haircut = fresh start" symbolism because it works so well for me. :) It helped me at least twice in the past. I got a psychological boost from looking in the mirror and seeing something different.

I kind of just want to be able to wear my hair down without a whole lot of frustration. I really can't wear it wash and go now without it looking like scraggle central (and I don't want to go back to heat styling with honestly I have been so frustrated I did it twice this past week).

I would go for the cut. It's going to have to come off sometime, right? Why prolong the negative feelings about your hair any longer than you have to? There's not much point in extra length if it's length you don't feel good about. :)

I agree.. Like I said, when I came here my hair was worse. Pictures don't show it at all but it was totally dull and frazzled. The ends crinkled up literally. I haven't liked my hair for awhile and I want to be at a better place with it finally..

It's only four inches. If you wanted to chop it all off, I'd say to wait a while to make sure, but like a PP said, four inches will grow back in roughly 8 months.

I'd suggest trying the chelating shampoo first, just in case it's a mineral buildup problem.

8 months is a long time though ^_^'... I do sort of look around and feel like I have "long hair" but not pretty hair..

I agree with jaine. Sounds like you already know what you want to do. In the long run, I don't think 4" is that big of a deal and it sounds like that's what will make you happy.

Sometimes we all just need a bit of change in our lives.

I hope you're happy with whatever decision you make and I'm sure you'll look beautiful no matter what you do!

Thank you :).. I guess being on LHC can make trimming feel like a bigger deal than it is really and I used to feel pressure to get my hair longer faster.

I feel exactly how you do right now. My hair is extremely chemically damaged from removing black hair dye a year ago. I have about 6 inches of virgin hair regrowth, which I love. But the rest of my hair brings me down so much. It's dry, tangled, crunchy, and piecey looking. The color looks very orange in some lighting, and its extremely patchy. There are white dots and splits at the ends of my hair. I'm also growing out these awful layers which makes it even worse. I've been wanting to chop up to at least BSL or even shorter. It would be SO nice to just get rid of even 75% of that hair..but I am very attached to it. I simply don't feel like "starting over," and I honestly don't look good with shorter hair. But I think I might do it. Next week I'm going to the salon, and I'll probably make a spur of the moment decision.

Anyway, I hope whichever decision you choose makes you happy. If you are unhappy with your hair, something's gotta change right? Maybe try cutting an inch at a time? I wish i could take my own advice. :) Good luck!

Yes this is exactly how I feel. Same situation as well. I don't have that many splits but my hair just doesn't split it easily. That doesn't mean it is any less gross than if it were split all over though :o

The thing is I had been cutting an inch off at a time since about August until January (about an inch a month). Then I trimmed half an inch later. It just hasn't been enough though. My whole length was damaged when I first joined and it was an issue of cutting off worse damage vs. less damaged (but still bad). I think I am coming to accept that I would rather have nice hair at its current length and work on my appearance in other ways than push for TB as soon as possible.

One thing to consider is your phrase, "I am getting tired of disliking every part of myself right now..." If you use your hair as the scapegoat for that emotion, cutting your hair will not make you feel better about yourself in the long run, although it might give you a temporary boost.

Tackling the diet and exercise right now--this very minute--would be a message to your psyche that you intend to change things, and a sign that you love yourself enough to care for your health. It's the subtle difference between throwing out a symbol (hair) of the real problem ("...disliking every part of myself...") and getting to the true core of the issue (why you ended up letting your body get into its present condition). Once you sort out the emotions, cutting the hair can be a beautiful symbol of a new beginning; otherwise, you may be looking for something else to toss in a week or two.

Of course, I am not inside your head; only you can know if you have come to terms with the underlying emotions...but you asked for input...

I think my weight has gone up because of slipping back into a bit of a funk as well as BC. I really am doing sooooo much better than I used to but I am now tired of kind of getting by and want to actually live fully. It isn't just the weight.. its job/money/education/appearance/and not working hard enough towards my goals. I'm getting by but.. I feel ready to let go of the past and move on. Its a long story ^_^'

If it were me, I would not even hesitate. I would trim off those stiff scraggles tonight! :) Mostly because raggedy ends drive me insane but your hair is wavy so it's probably less noticeable. Either way what good is that extra four inches if it's damaged stiff and you feel it's ugly. I think your hair will feel better as will your subconscious. I would go for it, you'll have healthier neat clean hair to maintain/grow again ^^

Haha we seem to think alike. I worry I will never get long hair is I keep trimming but.. eh what can I say.

I have the same dilemma, but I am choosing to cut it about 1/2 inch every month or so instead of 4 inches all at once. But sometimes I am really close to just cutting it all at once! Right now my last 4/5 inches are what's left of my flat ironing days and those last inches look bad no matter what I do because they are thinner than the rest of my hair (also due to being the last layer).

If you feel the need to cut all of it as a catalyst to a "new you" then I say go for it!

I think the flat iron is what did in my hair too as well as being severely ill for nearly a year awhile ago. I think I have way more than 5" of flat iron damage unfortunately!

xoxophelia
April 10th, 2011, 09:49 PM
My last trim was a good 4 inches or so and I am so glad I did it ! I cut from TB back to hip and I don't regret it one bit. Most people don't even notice the length difference.
I say go for it !

I actually have thought of you when I was considering doing the trim. I remembered how you got your trim that was decently large but I couldn't really notice the length difference (plus your outlook on it). However.. my hair actually seems to cry for a trim..

You aren't happy.

Hair is one thing that MOST people on this board are enjoying and makes them feel good.

ANYTHING that becomes more work than bonus, more payout than payoff isn't really worth it.

It's hair and it will grow.

If your hair is that damaged then the damage could creep up the healthy hair and affect it.

IT'S JUST HAIR. If a few inches is making you feel badly then GET RID OF IT. This is LHC but the Long of the Hair Community is not the most important part. This is a hair community to help you achieve healthy hair. Long will be the end result for those who want it but not all.

Maybe we should change the group to HHC.... Healthy Hair Community

:) .. I agree. I guess I saw cutting my hair or losing what I have gained as moving backwards instead of forward. But I notice now I was focusing on the wrong thing. I need to get a better job and work on myself as a person to move forward and feel good about myself again.

I was having the same dull-dry-stiff-crunchy-ends-that-tangle-no-matter-what problem. The ends of the longest parts of my hair were left over from a MASSIVE bleach job I did a few years ago.
I went WO for a while and used oils and s&d and now I couldn't be happier. The WO was mostly for my scalp but the oils and s&d combination COMPLETELY transformed my ends. Now they are soft and bouncy and barely tangle at all.

Granted, it was a gradual process of 2 months doing a small bit of almost daily s&d until I felt happy with the results...now I stretch time between sessions out more.

I understand the need to get a cut when the ends are that bad, but if you are so hesitant about it now why not try a more gradual approach?

:)

I think I may try less than 4 inches because now that I think of it.. I may have a little bit of a hard time cutting off 4" evenly doing it myself.. I haven't been oiling at all lately though. I think I will do that again tonight and maybe try to shoot for one every week for an oil treatment.

Don't wait another second. DO IT!

:D Ok.. I agree. I'm going to go do it.

rena
April 10th, 2011, 09:56 PM
I have this problem too, but I *really* cannot cut my less favorable parts because it would make my hair too short, and give me unwanted layers. I am waiting for it to reach my goal length (waist) and do a big chop, which I figure will bring me to about mid-back; shorter, but still fairly long. After that I will grow it back to my goal of waist. My advice would be to get rid of those inches only if you will be okay with the length it will leave you at. Personally, I think I would be willing to let go of my damaged ends if it would be at least APL after I cut, but this is the very shortest I would be willing to go. I only chose midback because it's long, but I may not be that patient :D.

MonaLisa
April 11th, 2011, 02:00 AM
It seems to me that it's definitely not just hair. You are not satisfied with how you look like at the moment, and you might be taking it out on hair a little bit :)

I've been feeling this way too, time to time, and deciding to cut it.

BUT, I'd sincerely suggest you to wait. Start working out, it will boost your morale a bit, also try shopping, and get yourself something nice.

Your hair might look way better next time you wash it. Happened to me tons of times.
Also a tiny trim might help.
Please don't go for the bigger cut, while you are feeling this way :)

Regret is a *****

Mesmerise
April 11th, 2011, 02:06 AM
I understand your frustration with your hair, but to me 30" of hair is still plenty of length :) (said by someone whose hair is not quite 27" long yet lol), and if it makes you happier to have nice ends then go for it!

I have horrid ends too...well they're not all split and nasty and broken, they're just thin and straggly and pathetic :( but my hair is just too short to contemplate cutting off 4"... so I'm just wearing it up and biding my time... bide...bide...bide... but maybe I'll get to the point where I feel I HAVE to chop too! If I had a lot of damage though, I don't think I'd hesitate...at least to do a couple of good inches anyway.

I also have a weight issue that I need to deal with...urgh. Good luck!

pepperminttea
April 11th, 2011, 03:32 AM
You sound like you already have a decision, but just in case you're waving - It's not making you happy, trim that sucker! ;)

maria_asa
April 11th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I'm usually not for cutting off a lot at one time but reading your posts I think it's the right thing to do. You've thought about it for a long time so it's not like it's a spur off the moment decition and if a trim could make you feel better about yourself you should do it.
I do understand the feeling of wanting to gain length as quickly as possible though (I can't wait to reach my goal but with my current rate it's about two years away) so maybe you can start with 2" and see if that helps?

nazzooyzo
April 11th, 2011, 04:46 AM
you should do it. hair grows back!!! and if it makes you feel happier then its worth it.

cindy58
April 11th, 2011, 04:49 AM
I haven't read all the responses, but you have valid reasons for wanting to trim back. If you haven't clarified, I would definitely try that first and then make a decision. A few years back, I was using coconut oil on my ends and it honestly was making them look horrid. I made a decision and appt. to get a trim, but clarified first. It was really astounding how much better my hair looked/behaved/felt after that. I went ahead and got the trim, but my hair would have been ok without it.

I understand newbies stressing a bit about growth, but I think that once you have some length, it's a lot more pleasant to think about other things rather than worrying over every fraction of an inch.

MonaLisa
April 11th, 2011, 04:54 AM
This is LHC, I think cut should come last...I think she's considering more than a trim, and reading her post...I clearly see emotional state she's in....and that things seem to appear worse than they are.

Cindy58 gave good advice in my opinion.
Please don't rush...try what else you can, and a small trim first:o

there's no guarantee you will like it more...when shorter.

Venefica
April 11th, 2011, 05:03 AM
If the end of your hair is very damaged I would recommend cutting it, instead of being annoyed with your hair you could be happy with each new inch you manage to grow of fresh, healthy hair. However before you cut anything, you could ask your hairdresser if there is anything which can be done. Hair treatments in a hairdresser's shop could get expensive, but it might be worth it if it can save the ends of your hair, and sometimes they do have treatments and chemicals which can fix seemingly unfixable problems.

Firefox7275
April 11th, 2011, 05:09 AM
It's sad to read that you are feeling so negative about yourself. :( Rather than looking to the past try to project forwards into the future, where do you want to be and how can you get there? Straightening your hair will take you backwards not forwards, whereas cutting a couple of inches helps protect the healthy growth from tangling.

But my first choice would be to get started with eating healthier - NOT dieting - that will feed the body you want, the hair you want, help with energy at work, focus in studies, even boost your mental wellbeing. :D Rather than what you are going to sacrifice, think about what tasty and nutritious foods you are going to eat today. Make it easy to make healthy choices (fruit bowl near the TV, carry healthy snacks) and difficult to eat rubbish (don't carry money, buy groceries with a list on a full stomach). ;)

Paladin
April 11th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I hated to do it, but I completely buzzed my shoulder-length hair off in November because it was thinning and I finally sucked up my pride and acknowledged it. It looked really bad in my opinion and I decided to do a complete "reboot" and throw every piece of garbage I could think of at my scalp to reverse the situation.

Since starting my new longhair journey over New Years with my new all-out regimen, it has already made such a turnaround that it's unbelievable and will look AMAZING when it gets long again! I can't believe it's the same head... haha.

Point being, if you truly think a trim would make the hair look better as a whole, it just might be worth it to take the plunge and slight setback for the greater good. I definitely did myself a favor by getting rid of the bad hair.

noelgirl
April 11th, 2011, 06:39 AM
It sounds to me like you've made up your mind that you want to do it at some point, and it's a question of when; I think that the sooner you do it, the sooner you'll be on the road to hair you enjoy.

celebriangel
April 11th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Here from the other side of the cutting divide :)

I had glandular fever, and this led to some hair loss, but more to lots of mechanical damage because I couldn't summon the energy to brush it and slept on it tangled! It was made worse because I'd gotten a horrible layered BSL+-cut which I didn't want (I also got a protein treatment I didn't even know I was getting/hadn't asked for and was charged 26 quid extra for the 'privilege'! :steam). The layers were all broken and horrible.

So. DBF's mother cut off a solid 3 inches in a lovely U-shape; I sorely miss the length, but it is made up for many times by how happy I am with the soft, shiny, manageable condition of my hair. It is now about halfway between APL and BSL, depending on how curly it is on any given day.

If you are so very unhappy with your hair, would the sadness at the loss of length outweigh the joy you would get from healthy, happy hair? It is so much easier to take care of, too.

Best of luck!:flowers:

WaitingSoLong
April 11th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Ok I will throw in my 2 cents if it is not too late. I just posted something similar to this. I have about 3-4" hopelessly frazzed ends. I will skip the whole story for brevity and say, I did an SMT ( never done one before) and trimmed 1" and was totally amazed at the difference. yes, I still have another 2-3" damage on the ends, but they are much softer and not as unruly and definitely liveable. I gave it the old 2 week (probably more like 1 month) rule before trimming and am glad I did. I did a 1" trim knowing I could always trim more later. You have already been doing 1" trims. Maybe you ARE due for a larger cut.

I did another SMT a few days later and it keeps getting better. I plan to continue SMT's about once a week and I definitely had to throw out anything with protein in it, chill on the coconut oil and leave ins which seemed to be hurting instead of helping. Stuff my hair USED to love.

My hair is damaged from who knows how many things. But I have to say, seems like more than hair issues going on here and as someone recently going through a total anxiety meltdown (something I have never experienced before) and don't care to share details on a public forum (you can PM me if you want), I would say to be very careful of ANY changes you make right now. Some things cannot be undone.

All in all, it IS just hair, I agree, and I have to keep telling myself that, but I also know that some petty things can be pretty upsetting even if we REASON that they should not. I personally try to enact a 3-6 month rule on any permanent changes (like tattoos, moving, etc.). And my personal motto: when in doubt, don't. I have too many regret stories in my past to not have learned from them.

Lastly....{{{{{hugs}}}}} I am totally feeling your dilemma.

xoxophelia
April 14th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I did say here that I went to cut my hair but realized I didn't come back with an update! (got busy since my poor dog became ill..) I wish I could show you guys some pictures of the before and after because I know how much everybody, including myself, loves those.

But, I ended up cutting off about 2.5-3" instead of 4". It mostly came off of the longest section and then only trimmed up the rest. I think it is a pretty huge improvement though. Looking at my ends I think I have about.. 4" of hair that does evenually have to go but it is mostly due to it holding onto the black dye and being frazzled.

Now my ends are nowhere nearly as clingy as they were and the ends look much more even. I can't say I miss the length because I honestly feel it looks better on me. It will take longer to goal but I am OK with that because I feel I have other things in my life to focus on besides growing my hair. Hopefully my hair will grow with me :)

Debra83
April 14th, 2011, 02:25 PM
As someone who cut my hair "emotionally", and dyed my hair "emotionally" for the longest of time (when things were tough, I felt I had "control" over my hair)...I really suggest waiting if your goal is to have long hair. Invoke the 2 week rule starting now at least. Other than that, I would just keep faithfully trimming when it gets to a certain point.

Hatsumomo
April 14th, 2011, 02:37 PM
I had my old henna/dye cut out in August to return to virgin hair and haven't looked back since. The virgin hair is so healthy, it hasn't needed so much a a trim since (and no splits) so you might find that while you won't reach your goal as quickly, you'll reach your goal with healthy hair at the same time that you would have manage to grow out the damage anyway.

Sometimes it's just not worth holding on to it for the sake of having long hair....especially if it's tangling and damaged.

xoxophelia
April 14th, 2011, 02:47 PM
I had my old henna/dye cut out in August to return to virgin hair and haven't looked back since. The virgin hair is so healthy, it hasn't needed so much a a trim since (and no splits) so you might find that while you won't reach your goal as quickly, you'll reach your goal with healthy hair at the same time that you would have manage to grow out the damage anyway.

Sometimes it's just not worth holding on to it for the sake of having long hair....especially if it's tangling and damaged.

I agree. I got to the point where I just wasn't happy with my hair anymore so it really had to go. I definitely still have some damage to get rid of but I will S&D and then that should get me set to make it through the summer with hair I can atleast SOMEWHAT enjoy :)

Hylia
April 14th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I would say go for it. It might take a while to grow out damage and dry hair but its worth it. When I look back at myself years back my hair was long(below waist) but there were about 3 inches at the end that looked horrible because of bleach over black hair dye. But maybe gradually cut an inch or two off first to see how that looks, if you can stand it maybe cut more instead of doing it all at once.

WaitingSoLong
April 14th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the update XOXO. (by the way, I call you "zo zo" to myself. LOL)

Sorry about your dog, is he ok now? We had to put ours down a couple weeks ago, he had advanced cancer. It was really hard on my DH as it was his "baby". He was an English Bulldog, we had him 7 years. He was ill a long time before we finally let him go. Sorry to be a downer! lol. I hope your furry friend is feeling ok. I saw your BF joined LHC. That is way cool! My DH has NO hair, so....but he heard about LHC all the time.

Glad you are happy with your cut. I am considering going back to about hip length but am too chicken to cut. I was just happier with my hair then, it was not always in the way and it seems I cannot wear it down anymore, it has a mind of its own and goes everywhere. Sure it looks good in pics but that is because I comb it in place and freeze while trying to position the camera with the mirror to snap the shot before it all goes awry. It just does not seem to be practical anymore.

ladyfey
April 14th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I had the same problem when I grew out the dye. My hair was knee length and I did not intend to cut it, but the natural hair felt SO much nicer than the dyed and I did cut it to a shoulder length bob. No regrets, it was such an improvement. Now my hair is back down to my knees and all natural, much prettier and healthier!