PDA

View Full Version : Sulfate or Sulfate-Free Shampoo?

CavyQueen
April 10th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Hi! I use daily conditioners, conditioning treatments, and leave- in conditioners that contain silicones. I am confused on whether I should use a shampoo with or without sulfates (sodium laureth sulfate). I do deep oiling treatments twice a week, and I am worried that if I do not use a shampoo with sulfates in it that the oiling treatments will not work. However, I do know how drying a sulfate shampoo can be. Should I use a sulfate shampoo so that the oil treatments and other conditioning treatments work? Or, is it better to use a sulfate-free shampoo and clarify more often? My main concern is that the oil and conditioning treatments penetrate my hair the best they can. Thank you. :)

Gwen
April 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Hi! I use daily conditioners, conditioning treatments, and leave- in conditioners that contain silicones. I am confused on whether I should use a shampoo with or without sulfates (sodium laureth sulfate). I do deep oiling treatments twice a week, and I am worried that if I do not use a shampoo with sulfates in it that the oiling treatments will not work. However, I do know how drying a sulfate shampoo can be. Should I use a sulfate shampoo so that the oil treatments and other conditioning treatments work? Or, is it better to use a sulfate-free shampoo and clarify more often? My main concern is that the oil and conditioning treatments penetrate my hair the best they can. Thank you. :)

I have bleach blonde hair and found that if I used a sulfate shampoo too often, it turned my colour greyish and my hair felt a little dry. Personally, I'd use a sulfate once in a while, but follow up with a good conditioner. But everyone's hair is different... Give it a shot.

Gwen

Siaraven
April 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Sulfrate free definatley the way to go, clarify ever 6 weeks or when your hair needs it :)

pepperminttea
April 25th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Using non-water soluble 'cones without sulphates is a recipe for build-up; you'll need to use them now and then to clarify, but it needn't be every wash. Conditioner will remove deep oilings though, don't worry about that. :)

Anje
April 25th, 2011, 02:46 PM
If you're using silicones, you should at least keep a sulfate shampoo around for clarifying.

As for sulfate-free, it really depends on what works for you. I think it's a good place to start and see if it works, because it is less harsh. If you feel your hair doesn't get clean enough or you get scalp irritation from being sulfate-free, go back to sulfates.

Tefnut
April 25th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Sulfate free! I'm allergic to some shampoos and conditioners that contain sulphates and parabens.

jojo
April 25th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I dilute my shampoos so much so it hardly suds but it works for me and the amount I use is so tiddly I don't let the sulphate part bother me.