PDA

View Full Version : Any Convertible Owners Here?

GingerSnapO
April 9th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I've been driving a 2005 MINI Cooper S convertible for the past year. I realize that the wind isn't doing great things for my hair, but driving topless (the car, people! not me! ;)) is too good for my soul not to do it anyway. :) Any suggestions on hairstyles that are the most wind-resistant?

Rocket22
April 9th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I've had 3 in a row.. Yup convertible nut.. kinda over it now but I suggest a hat and a low ponytail that is not pulled all the way through (does that make sense?) but honestly after having several for the last 10 years I hardly have the top down anymore.. note to sell work on this :)

ETA: of course a braid would be good too.. I never wear my hair in braids.. (it's so fine a braid disappears)

Kherome
April 9th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Yep the call of the open road and a topless car! I always bun or braid my hair and then wear a scarf over it.

WaitingSoLong
April 9th, 2011, 08:40 PM
I have a PT Cruiser convertible, have had a mustang in the past. I am having issues with my hair pulling loose from my bun/braid/whatever and flying around my face. I even resorted to hairspray and it still ends up flying around. I think I am going to have to do a scarf. I have one, but it is really ugly and I won't really wear it in public (I did once tho and got complimented on it :shrug:)

It doesn't really seem to be TOO windy, tho. The wind I get is mostly lift. It creates the Medusa look, hair flying around my face like little snakes darting here and there. Thus the need for the scarf.

Sundial
April 9th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Another convertible owner here! I keep a spare Flexi8 in my car to keep it bunned up for impromptu topless sessions :inlove: I tried ketylo hairsticks but the wind resistance pulls the updo apart at high speed. I haven't given Ficcares a run in the convertible yet so I can't comment on that one yet but the Flexis do hold like a rock. Also, caps seem to survive the drive well but I was skeptical about trying scarves because my silk scarves never stay on me even when I'm not in the car.

But I do realize while driving, my hair hardly gets affected, instead rear passengers have it worse. As long as you keep your windows up, the wind should not get to you too much :flower:

Oh! I have also considered snoods and I found one which will definitely hold well because it comes with a built in barrette! They are expensive though but so damn pretty :cloud9: I'm still mulling over them because I'm not sure if the barrettes are able to accommodate my hair thickness, also barrettes are not exactly known to be hair friendly :justy: they are so pretty though!! (if you wish to be enabled, go google Melanie Moore snoods to look at what I have been lusting over ;) )

That was a long entry but I hope you found it helpful!

ETA: I remembered that Goody Spin Pins and braids (especially those that start from the top of the head like French/Dutch braids) worked fine for me too. Also for WaitingSoLong's problem, I don't have an issue with that yet because the wispies just blend in with my bangs, I just run my hands through and it sits fine but in time when my bangs get to an awkward length, I might think about adding a cloth headband in the car

UltraBella
April 9th, 2011, 10:17 PM
I had a convertible Camaro and I really didn't enjoy it. I didn't even keep it a year. I do have a Corvette with T-tops and a removable back window, quite similar to a convertible yet doesn't drive me nuts. It wasn't my hair that bothered me that much, I just found the whole experience to be noisy and windy. I was surprised because I thought I would love it.

CathyEarnshaw
April 9th, 2011, 11:28 PM
I'm so glad you posted this thread. I also have a convertible and was wondering what to do now that my hair is longer.

Rafusen
April 10th, 2011, 12:19 AM
I've seen these (https://hairglove.com/) on Harley women. That would work to keep your hair wrapped up. (I know they may not appeal to everyone.) I haven't actually tried them, but I'm a bit partial to the Concho with the 8" fringe.

Cupofmilk
April 10th, 2011, 01:33 AM
I always braid my hair before drivng mine. Mine's also a racing car and I have to wear braids under my helmet with a buff.
I also wear a scarf or hat over my head when driving.

cindy58
April 10th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I put mine in a ponytail with an elastic first, pull that thru a ballcap, then braid the length.

We were out one night and decided to put the top down, I just tucked my hair inside my jacket. What a disaster -- it took a long time to untangle, I'll never do that again.

Hotflashes
April 10th, 2011, 06:25 AM
Actually, a lot of time it's my very expensive hair dryer. Quite old Mercedes. Frankly, if I'm tootling to somewhere the hair needs to be acceptable looking, I just leave the top up.

Mojavewolf
April 10th, 2011, 08:48 AM
I've been driving a 2005 MINI Cooper S convertible for the past year. I realize that the wind isn't doing great things for my hair, but driving topless (the car, people! not me! ;)) is too good for my soul not to do it anyway. :) Any suggestions on hairstyles that are the most wind-resistant?

Sweetie I dont have a convertable but I do ride a Harley,so I was wondering the same stuff.I wear a bandana and helmet(required in Calif) But the ends get blown all over..I sometimes wear clip on extensions to try to protect my own hair..(looks better in a bandana too..LOL
I will be watching this thread!

Mojavewolf
April 10th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I've seen these (https://hairglove.com/) on Harley women. That would work to keep your hair wrapped up. (I know they may not appeal to everyone.) I haven't actually tried them, but I'm a bit partial to the Concho with the 8" fringe.

OK Im a Harley Honey..What is this your talking about for hair? Thanks! Need to know ...I do wear hair gloves on my extensions sometimes..

CurlyZ
April 10th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Braids and silk scarf always worked well for me.