PDA

View Full Version : are dry shampoos ok .........

jojo
April 9th, 2011, 06:58 PM
for inbetween washes?

I am trying to stretch my washes to every 3 days but I know I am going to get greasy hair. I bought a tin of batiste dry shampoo and wondered if it was ok to use.

DTsgirl
April 9th, 2011, 07:19 PM
Should be fine. . . Can't imagine why not. As long as you completely brush it out to avoid itchy head . . . . .

McFearless
April 9th, 2011, 07:24 PM
According to whose standards? Try it for yourself.

Florida Mom
April 9th, 2011, 07:44 PM
I started using dry shampoos when I was laid up last year after knee surgery. Worked great! I continue to use it mostly on my bangs.

rhosyn_du
April 9th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I love dry shampoo! My bangs like to be washed much more often than the rest of my hair, and I've found dry shampoo to be the perfect compromise. I haven't used many brands, though. I tried Goth Rosary's first, fell in love with it, and have been using it ever since. It's caused no damage at all, so far as I can tell.

ladyveg
April 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Got2B has a dry shampoo that I use called Got2B Rockin' It. It seems as if the main ingredient is rice flour and that soaks up the oil on my scalp pretty well.

jojo
April 9th, 2011, 08:20 PM
According to whose standards? Try it for yourself.

according to LHC standards :D I dont want my hair to dry out just wondered too if it may irritate my scalp!

I am rather fussy about my hair, I blame this site:o

jojo
April 9th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I started using dry shampoos when I was laid up last year after knee surgery. Worked great! I continue to use it mostly on my bangs.

I love dry shampoo! My bangs like to be washed much more often than the rest of my hair, and I've found dry shampoo to be the perfect compromise. I haven't used many brands, though. I tried Goth Rosary's first, fell in love with it, and have been using it ever since. It's caused no damage at all, so far as I can tell.

Cool sounds good to me! I was a little concerned of scalp irritation and could not think of anybody ever mentioning dry shampoo's on LHC.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences with me:)

McFearless
April 9th, 2011, 09:12 PM
according to LHC standards :D I dont want my hair to dry out just wondered too if it may irritate my scalp!

I am rather fussy about my hair, I blame this site:o

hmm..well from my experience stretching washes past every 2 days drys out my length. it benefits from being wet so i stick to that. dry shampoo does get rid of greasy hair but it works differently for everyone. i used it back when i flat ironed my hair a lot. your scalp should be fine but you won't know until you try :)

LittleOrca
April 9th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I posted some recipes in the Natural Hair Care section (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69004) to make your own homemade dry shampoo that you can give a shot, Jojo. I am off to try one out myself to see if I like it. :)

Indigo Girl
April 9th, 2011, 10:20 PM
I started using dry shampoo about two years ago. I wash my hair twice a week, and it gets incredibly oily in between washes, especially my bangs. I use HairFix, and LOVE the line. It's scented, comes in different colors (brunette, blonde, etc) and is vegan to boot!

Even though I'm a "tawny" (a mix of different shades of blonde and brunette), I get the brunette color.

The only warning I have is if you scratch your head after you have applied the shampoo, it will get under your nails. Not an issue if you wear a dark polish, but I go natural and in the beginning, my nails would look "dirty". Though I've since figured out a way around that. :)

Overall? It's excellent for extending wash time. I LOVE my dry shampoo.

DoubleCrowned
April 9th, 2011, 10:40 PM
I posted some recipes in the Natural Hair Care section (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=69004) to make your own homemade dry shampoo that you can give a shot, Jojo. I am off to try one out myself to see if I like it. :)

I have experimented with recipes like the ones you posted, and left my comments with that post.

pepperminttea
April 10th, 2011, 02:50 AM
It can cause build-up if you're using oil shampoo, but apart from that, there's no reason I can think of to not try them. :) Incidentally, cocoa powder works well.

Firefox7275
April 10th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I love Batiste and it does not irritate my sensitive skin; the original is mainly corn or rice starch plus propellant. Just don't use an overly scented or coloured brand, and maybe start with a small area I stick to my hairline and occasionally the crown. I don't brush dry shampoo out just gently wipe a microfibre towel on the area I have sprayed - talcum powder and corn flour are both a pain to remove, Batiste only needs a light spray and the white doesn't show up in my burgundy hair. If your lengths seem dry maybe use a leave-in conditioner or light oiling?

delsh
April 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM
I love dry shampoo! Although I wash my hair almost every day during the week (love that just-washed feeling!) if I skip a day dry shampoo is invaluable. I haven't noticed any damage, and I wouldn't expect to considering its just soaking up the oil. I use the Suave brand, mostly on my bangs and hairline/crown of my head :)

Fingolphin
April 10th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I tried dry shampoo once last year when camping in the mountains, and I didn't think it worked at all; I didn't notice any discernible difference. Of course, my hair was filled with smoke and all, so maybe it just needed something more hardcore.