PDA

View Full Version : Hair is soooo hot!!

amcarrier123
April 9th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I had short hair for most of my life, and one day I decided to grow it out. I've had it long for a couple of years now.

Here's my problem. Any time I wear it down, my ears, neck and face get hot and red. I am so uncomfortable I have to put it up.

It doesn't matter if I have product in it, freshly washed, whatever. I can have it down for about a half hour before I am beet red.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm going crazy and ready to cut it!

selderon
April 9th, 2011, 06:31 PM
It sounds like your internal cooling system isn't terribly effective or your environment is too warm.

Your head and neck are natural radiators. When you insulate them with hair or clothing, your body temperature can climb. Wearing your hair down may have a similar effect to wearing a hat and scarf indoors. You may experiment with lowering the heat in your environment a few notches and see if that helps. If you cannot adjust the environmental controls, try wearing fewer layers and/or exposing your feet.

Slinks
April 9th, 2011, 07:04 PM
or exposing your feet.

good idea .. I do this with, OT here, the electric blanket, I'm cold all over but get warm too quick but if I expose my feet it works ..

amcarrier123 .. I would also suggest that you put your hair up and down several times duing the day, every day and eventually you'll get used to it ..

CurlyCreature
April 9th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I live in florida, so I hear you on that one... I just find it takes getting used to. Do what slinks said and progressivly wear you hair down more and more... or maybe try half up dos? to expose your ears & more skin?

teela1978
April 9th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Too hot ----> put it up. Too cold ----> put it down. Its a natural form of temperature control :)

amcarrier123
April 9th, 2011, 07:50 PM
I guess my furnace works very well! You could fry an egg on my neck :)

Believe it or not, I live in Maine, and the only time my head WASN'T super hot was when I went outside, in the middle of January.

I'm going to try the half up, half down thing, and try to gently get used to wearing it down.

At least I'm not crazy!

LittleOrca
April 9th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Too hot ----> put it up. Too cold ----> put it down. Its a natural form of temperature control :)

Agree! And wearing it up means that you get the spoil yourself with hair toys. :D

Rivanariko
April 9th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Funny, the fact that my hair keeps me warm is one of my reasons I DON'T want to cut! Haha! I've always told people that I have a built-in scarf. Of course, I hardly wear it down outside anymore... but still. During the summer it is never down, and even a braid is hard to stand sometimes. I'll do anything to get it off my neck when it's hot outside.

ladyveg
April 9th, 2011, 08:09 PM
Does your face and head get sweaty too? I have this problem and it's called craniofacial hyperhidrosis, which sounds scary but basically means your head and face get overheated and sweaty very easily. I wear my hair up in the summer or it gets all sweaty. It's gross.

jojo
April 9th, 2011, 08:25 PM

its just the perfect answer:D

UltraBella
April 9th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I have an issue with my hair feeling like I am wearing a really thick blanket, it bothers me in the summer quite a bit and I get disappointed that I can't wear my hair down.

Qamar
April 9th, 2011, 10:32 PM
My hair is up almost all summer, but if its up and I go into an overly air conditioned place I just let it down to warm me. Its like my own fur coat. :) I like wearing it down, but often its just too hot , so then I put my energy into learning new updos so that I don't get bored with the same old ones over and over. Add in hot flashes and updos are a must. I've even learnt a few that stay put all by themselves so I'm not out of luck if I don't have a hairstick or hairtie.

Olivia23
April 9th, 2011, 10:42 PM
I pretty much wear my hair up all summer long because heat + humidity + poofy hair is not a good combo. I also get hot very easily and my face and ears turn red so I keep it up.

Lianna
April 10th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Yes. That's mainly why I wear it up often. And that's why I cut it short when I was a teen and didn't grow it since then (I didn't like updos then). And also that's why I wash/at least wet it everyday.

Firefox7275
April 10th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I had short hair for most of my life, and one day I decided to grow it out. I've had it long for a couple of years now.

Here's my problem. Any time I wear it down, my ears, neck and face get hot and red. I am so uncomfortable I have to put it up.

It doesn't matter if I have product in it, freshly washed, whatever. I can have it down for about a half hour before I am beet red.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm going crazy and ready to cut it!

I get hot/ sweaty at the drop of a hat, hair down definitely makes it worse. :o Either put your hair up or accept you need to find other ways to keep cool, defginitely don't wait until you are red in the face. Have windows open, don't sit near a radiator or turn the temperature down, wear one layer of clothing less that you used to with shorter hair, pull your hair over one shoulder so one side of your head gets an airing, carry something that can be used to fan yourself ...

hina87
April 10th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I have the same problem girls; My hair is past BSL, but I'm Indian. I have natural jet black straight hair. There is no shades of brown or any other color whatsoever. In the summer, I have the same problem-my head feels soo hot and my ears and face turns sweaty and red. It is not a good sight. I do not leave my hair down during the summer but still even when it is put up..I still feel the added warmth on top of my head. I guess, i have to deal with it. I wanted to dye it and make it a lighter color that will suit me but I think it will really damage my hair. I'm thinking naturally black hair cannot be dyed to a different color with out the bleach..:confused:

hina87
April 10th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Oh wait..I should know this..i could try henna to see what happens...but BAQ henna is expensive online....

yotaka
April 10th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Oh wait..I should know this..i could try henna to see what happens...but BAQ henna is expensive online....
Well, if you're hair is naturally jet black henna won't change the color that much. It might just have a few dark red streaks in the sun but there won't be any dramatic change. I'm afraid you're right you won't get much color change without the use of bleach.

maborosi
April 10th, 2011, 10:46 AM
I live in muggy, hot, SE Texas. I cannot wear my hair down in the summer, basically, unless I'm indoors.

Generally, I braid it into pigtails or wear a ponytail, or just wear it up with a clip. From about May to October, it is just too hot most of the time to wear my hair down if I'm going to be outside for a long period of time...It's pretty normal

~maborosi~

selderon
April 10th, 2011, 10:49 AM
I do not leave my hair down during the summer but still even when it is put up..I still feel the added warmth on top of my head. I guess, i have to deal with it. I wanted to dye it and make it a lighter color that will suit me but I think it will really damage my hair. I'm thinking naturally black hair cannot be dyed to a different color with out the bleach..:confused:

I face the same challenge with my nearly-black hair. There are three ways I can think of to deal with this:
1) Shave your head.
2) Bleach the living daylights out of your hair and accept the damage in exchange for hair that traps less heat in the sun.
3) Cover your head with a scarf, a hat, an umbrella, something.

I picked number 3.

MrsGuther
April 10th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I totally understand! I have been attempting to wear my hair down more, with great success thanks to my AC being cranked up a few notches!!! :) :) :)

hina87
April 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks, Yotaka and Selderon...
Yotaka-yes i believe you-Henna will do nothing to my hair color wise..except shine benefits and others
Selderon- thanks for the tips..i will try covering it up in the summer to prevent heat trap...

myrrhmaiden
April 10th, 2011, 11:59 AM
When I don't drink enough water my body has difficulty regulating my temperature.

sibiryachka
April 10th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Hot summer temperatures have always been among my reasons for keeping my hair long enough to put it up, all the way up. I loathe the way it feels on my sweaty neck when I'm hot, and there's no way I'd wear it short enough to expose my neck all the time!
Bonus: Short little nape wisps form adorable ringlets when they get sweaty, then dry out.

anniebelle
April 10th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Try putting it up in a pretty bun, or ponytail.:)