PDA

View Full Version : CPAP and long hair

Qamar
April 9th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I was recently diagnosed with sleep apnea and now use a CPAP for sleep. It is held in place with silicone headgear that is smooth but very grabby on the hair. Fortunately its on the new hair on the crown and back of the head rather than the canopy, but it does rub since I am a restless sleeper. If anyone else here uses a cpap, what effects has it had on your hair? Did you cover the straps with anything ? Enquiring minds want to know.

Bene
April 9th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Maybe a silk bonnet would help?

pepperminttea
April 9th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Another recommendation for the silk bonnet; you could improvise with a silk scarf in the mean time. :)

selderon
April 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
I have used a CPAP for six years or so. The head harness thingy I have is neoprene, which doesn't seem to grab at all. The velcro attachments are going to get their own custom made sleeves though. Given what I have around the house, it's going to be hand-sewn green fleece fabric.

If the silicone is working well for you otherwise, you could sew a cloth cover for each of the straps or (easier!) get a sleep cap to protect your hair.

jojo
April 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I 3rd the sleep bonnet or maybe a silk/satin strip placed over the straps.

CurlyCreature
April 9th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Can you wrap it in some sort of fabric/ribbon so it doesnt catch?

selderon
April 9th, 2011, 06:09 PM
Ooooh! Make sleeves out of satin ribbon. You could sew them on with a whipstitch or similar. And it's inexpensive enough to cut off and do over again later if they get to needing to be washed.

GingerSnapO
April 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM
Mine have neoprene straps also. Unless you just love your mask, you might want to try a different style.

Qamar
April 9th, 2011, 10:39 PM
I don't know that I would love any CPAP mask GingersnapO...I have panic attacks every time I put it on. :( I use nasal pillows with the least involved headgear I could get to minimize the claustrophobia. I do like the satin ribbon idea by the way, and I appreciate ALL the suggestions.

selderon
April 9th, 2011, 11:25 PM
I don't know that I would love any CPAP mask GingersnapO...I have panic attacks every time I put it on. :(

That is not as uncommon a reaction as you might think. When I taught martial arts, I had a student who got frightened and gagged every time she put in a mouthguard. We had good success having her (in a setting where she felt safe) put it in for a few seconds and suppressing the reflex, then increasing the time gradually as she became comfortable with x amount of time. Before long, she'd pop in her mouthguard and go into the ring like it was nothing.

Can you identify what scares you about wearing the mask?

Qamar
April 9th, 2011, 11:34 PM
That's easy...it feels like I'm not getting enough air and have to take huge breaths. We've turned the settings up and added expiratory pressure relief, but I still have the attacks. Lately I toss and turn until about six am and only then can fall asleep.

If I fall asleep without it, when I rouse I can generally put it on and go right back to sleep because I'm not awake enough to have much of a reaction to it.

selderon
April 9th, 2011, 11:48 PM
That's easy...it feels like I'm not getting enough air and have to take huge breaths. We've turned the settings up and added expiratory pressure relief, but I still have the attacks. Lately I toss and turn until about six am and only then can fall asleep.

If I fall asleep without it, when I rouse I can generally put it on and go right back to sleep because I'm not awake enough to have much of a reaction to it.

I felt the same way when I started wearing the CPAP. At my sleep study, I wore a CPAP for part of the night. It actually gave me central apneas during the study. I was worried it wasn't going to work well, but in the morning I felt better than I had in months.

You might try some awake sessions with the mask on. Don't try to go to sleep yet. Just set a timer and lie in a comfortable position with the mask on. Close your eyes and imagine your lungs filling with pure, sweet air. Focus on breathing long, deep breaths. When the timer beeps, turn the machine off and remove the mask. Gradually increase your time as you teach yourself that your mask is safe.

Set an alarm for a time when you think you will be asleep and try putting the mask on and sleeping with it. You have already been successful here! This will help you to benefit from real sleep :love: as you get used to the mask.

Qamar
May 18th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I tend to wear it while reading or watching TV at night, so that hopefully I get used to it and can drift off. What typically happens is I'm ok with distractions, but take those away and its panic time. :( I did cover the straps with soft cloth and its MUCH kinder to my hair though it makes the straps want to slip off more. Its worth the trade though, because the silicone straps were really doing a number on my very fine textured hair.

ladyfey
May 18th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I'm a respiratory therapist, work alot with CPAP. I think just about everyone hates it at first but you should get used to it in time and it will help you feel so much better! Glad you are getting help for your apnea!