PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me how damaging these ingredients are in my shampoo?

ghilliegirl_an
April 9th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I got this new shampoo when I was at the hairdressers a few weeks back, it's called watercolors shampoo. Basically it has a little bit of colored pigment that gets added to your hair every time you wash. I normally only shampoo the top of my hair and condition the bottom but with this shampoo I would have to shampoo the whole length or end up with two toned hair. I was reading the ingredients and I don't see sodium laureth sulfate which I know is bad for your hair but it could just be listed under a different name. Could any one that knows alot about shampoo ingredients help me figure out if it is safe to shampoo my hair with every day? The ingredients are listed in this order: aqua, cocamidopropryl betaine, disodium cocoamphodiacetate, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, hydroxypropyl guar, citricv acid, fragrance(parfum), DMDM hydantoin, polymethoxy bycyclic oxazolidine, basic red 22, basic blue 99, basic brown 17. If anyone can make sense out of all that I would love your help, it's all greek to me.

-Ashley

pepperminttea
April 9th, 2011, 10:48 AM
This site (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/) has an ingredients search which is very handy (and a little scary).

ghilliegirl_an
April 9th, 2011, 11:15 AM
That ingredient list is very helpful thank you, I'll be sure to put it under bookmarks. All of the ingredients listed mostly just said chance of skin irritant which isn't an issue at the moment(I have a very sensitive scalp so if it was going to affect me it probably would've by now) and anything else had little evidence towards it but its still good to be informed. I'm still wondering about the effects on hair though because the website doesn't mention that, it doesn't have a sulfate in it that I could tell because the website lists all the possible names, are there other ingredients that are just as bad for your hair or could this be considered a good 'sulfate free' shampoo?
Thanks for all your help thus far.

-Ashley

isshevital
April 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
it doesn't have a sulfate in it that I could tell because the website lists all the possible names, are there other ingredients that are just as bad for your hair or could this be considered a good 'sulfate free' shampoo?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I can tell you that a shampoo without SLS can still be incredibly drying. Like the Giovanni shampoos for example, they contain so many other surfactants that they combine to make a product that is still really harsh. If the sulfate thing is your only worry, as long as it doesn't seem overly drying on your hair when you use it, then by all means it's a good shampoo for you!

CarpeDM
April 9th, 2011, 12:03 PM
This site (http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/) has an ingredients search which is very handy (and a little scary).

You beat me to it, I was just going to recommend that site as well. I find it is so helpful when I am trying to research ingredients...and yes scary too.

NouvelleNymphe2
April 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks so much pepperminttea and carpedm! :) *bookmarks the page*