PDA

View Full Version : putting oil & water in spritz bottle

Slinks
April 8th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I had this weired idea about mixing coconut oil and water in a sprizt (squirt) bottle but water and oil don't mix :confused: has anyone tried this ?? perhaps oil, condish and water ?? hmmmm .. I like the idea of those market sold hair oils cos they smooth the hair without making them oily but I fear they are damaging, can anyone confirm this ?? I love coconut oil but it makes the hair oily, no matter how little I use ..

I do have a couple of bottles of Advanced Technique Dry Ends Serum from Avon but after joining LHC I decided that maybe these are harsh ?? any opinions all thoughts welcome :-) Please ..

LoversLullaby
April 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
I've heard some people having issues with the coconut solidifying in the bottle and then causing the mister itself to break... however, I've never tried coconut oil myself. I use Kimberlily defrizz spray, which contains a teaspoon of jojoba oil) with no ill effects since it's a liquid. It makes my hair sooo soft. :) So a liquid oil that doesn't solidify may be a better route to go.

jojo
April 8th, 2011, 06:14 PM
yes I do this but with evoo and a little conditioner, its brilliant at taming frizz and helps with tangles too!

dollface
April 8th, 2011, 06:16 PM
i second the EVOO and conditioner, i mixed some up the other day in my spritzer bottle and had great results, be careful about using too much though ^_^

TakeAPotatoChip
April 8th, 2011, 06:20 PM
You could always just take the top off and warm it in the microwave for a second, or you could fill a bowl/sink with a bit of warm water and place the squirt bottle in there to float. Like a double boiler.

DTsgirl
April 8th, 2011, 06:27 PM
I have a bottle of Garnirer 3X Nutrition Oil Spray (which is wonderful, by the way). When it was about 1/2 empty, I decided to experiment and filled it back up with coconut oil on top of what was left of the Garnier spray and shook it up and it works great. If the coconut oil solidifys, I just out it in warm water until it's liquid and then shake to blend and go to town with it. Once this is gone, I will buy another bottle of the garnier and do it again (I love the Garnier smell, or I would just refill the bottle with 50% water and 50% oil.).
So, to circuitously get to the point, as long as you make sure everything is liquified before you start spraying, you should be fine. Have fun!

ETA: And as long as you don't get your hair [I]soaked[I] with the water / oil mix, you shouldn't get the greasies. The water makes your hair look damp faster than just oil would, so I think that helps avoid over doing it.

jeanniet
April 8th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I use water, aloe vera gel, and jojoba/camellia/argan oil. I just shake it up really well before I use it. I think the AVG helps to keep the oil mixed in.

BrightEyes
April 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I have a mixture of water, a little bit of light conditioner, and a couple drops of argan oil in a mister bottle. I sometimes use it on second day hair to revive my waves. I just dampen my hair and scrunch a little with a cotton t-shirt. It works really well, my hair dries soft and shiny with pretty waves.

Slinks
April 8th, 2011, 07:30 PM
actually yes, the coconut oil does solidify .. I put some in an empty Advanced Technique Dry Ends Serum bottle and rub it between the palms of my hands till it's soft .. hmm lots of ideas here .. I use fresh aloe vera in my hair once a week .. maybe I should go on the lookout for some gel ?? Might even look into some Garnirer 3X Nutrition Oil Spray if you don't think this stuff is damaging ..

no-body knows for sure about Advanced Technique Dry Ends Serum from Avon ?? I really did like the stuff but wasn't sure, I noticed that when I stopped using it my hair would look and feel dry but feel nice when in - if this stuff is okay maybe I could go 50-50 with coconut oil ..

what's with alcohol in these things anyway ?? isn't this the stuff that drys your hair, skin liver :lol: out ??

ETA: I LOVE argon oil, that I found didn't grease the hair out but alas I'm allergic to that stuff, made me itch like crazy .. I used it 3 times every time I blamed other stuff eg: nuts and cocoa .. on the third time I got this really bad headache, a really strange one along with the itchies when I realised it must have been the oil !!

this I have as a give away to anyone who lives in Ozland (aust) PM me :-)

DTsgirl
April 8th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I don't think the Garnier spray is damaging at all. It's marvelous stuff, and nearly impossible to overdose on (I actually like the straight stuff better than the coconut oil mix, but - I have tons of hair and I use it up really fast, so the CO is to stretch the bottle out). It also sets braid waves pretty well if you spray your hair before bedtime braids; they're all smooth and shiney in the morning!

Red_Rose
April 8th, 2011, 08:00 PM
I've heard of some people putting coconut oil in with a 50:50 solution of aloe vera juice and distilled water with no problems. I think it was only a few drops of the oil though. This is something I plan on trying soon.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 8th, 2011, 08:05 PM
Sorry to go OT, but the Garnier spray is really nice! My ends are kind of hay-like/crispy (not from product, they're old bleached/stripped ends!) and it makes them feel so much nicer. :P It isn't a magnificent spray for shine, but it does make the highlights of my hair really bright like they're on fire. :D I can spray daily in-between washes (I wash on 4th day) and not get built-up or greasy. :)

Slinks
April 8th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Sorry to go OT, but the Garnier spray is really nice! My ends are kind of hay-like/crispy (not from product, they're old bleached/stripped ends!) and it makes them feel so much nicer. :P It isn't a magnificent spray for shine, but it does make the highlights of my hair really bright like they're on fire. :D I can spray daily in-between washes (I wash on 4th day) and not get built-up or greasy. :)
thanks for that info .. I didn't think you were going OT, you're helping me make a decision :D

CaityBear
April 8th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I make my own leave in conditioner and I add EVOO and AVG to the mix. I don't think i would add coconut oil to water for a spray because of it solidifying...

TakeAPotatoChip
April 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Ah I meant more about me going on to a full review of it and all. I do strongly third the spray recommendation, and even though there are a few other ingredients I think their sole purpose is to make the spray be effective yet light and not too oil-y. There's enough oils in there to get the job done though, there's always definite separation in my bottle.

Aqua , Water , Cyclopentasiloxane , Isohexadecane , Poloxamer 184 , Hexylene Glycol , Parfum (Fragrance) , Benzyl Alcohol , Polyaminopropyl Biguanide , Linalool , Butyrospermum Parkii Butter (Shea Butter) , Olea Europaea Oil (Olive Fruit Oil) , Butylphenyl Methylpropional , Citronellol , Persea Gratissima Oil (Avocado Oil) , Ribes Nigrum Oil (Black Currant Seed Oil) , CI 19140 (Yellow 5) , CI 17200 (Red 33)

(according to walgreens.com)

I don't know if you've seen http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ but that site's ingredient dictionary could help you to see if anything harmful is in the garnier or avon products. =]

Slinks
April 8th, 2011, 10:50 PM
I don't think i would add coconut oil to water for a spray because of it solidifying...

yep k .. you've convinced me .. will try evoo and condish with AVG then :-) and just use the coconut oil as a once a week treatment before a wash .. thanks all for your input, much appreciated :-)

Slinks
April 8th, 2011, 10:52 PM
I don't know if you've seen http://www.cosmeticscop.com/ but that site's ingredient dictionary could help you to see if anything harmful is in the garnier or avon products. =]

Thanks for that link !! awesome :-)

RitaPG
April 9th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I do that! Put a couple drops of coconut oil in a spray bottle and fill it with water. When it solidifies, I put it in my pocket for a minute or two and it's fine ^^
And yes, while oil and water don't mix/ don't stay mixed for long, if you shake it before spraying on your hair, it works fine. My bottle never broke because of it :)

CrisDee
April 9th, 2011, 02:10 PM
My oil/water mix is with jojoba oil. I also put in some aloe gel and some geranium EO to make it smell perty. :D I just give it a good shake before each use to get around the oil/water not mixing thing.

Slinks
April 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
I made a mix of equal parts evoo, condish and water yesterday, I think it needs perhaps a little more water so it's not so greasy, it's okay but shows up a bit .. I still have to go out and buy AVG, perhaps I should do that today and put it in my mix instead of more water ?? :stirpot:

I might get another spritz bottle too and try the water and coconut oil still as RitaPG has mentioned it seems to work fine :-)

RitaPG
April 9th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Slinks

If it shows a little greasy, you're right, seems like there's too much product for so little water, maybe try one part evoo, one condish, and two parts water.

When I started using my oil+water spritz, I had really dry ends so I diluted 1 part coconut oil to two parts of water, but nowadays I can just use one part of coconut for five parts water. Its a trial and error kind of thing, at some point you'll figure out the right ratio for you :)

Slinks
April 9th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Slinks

If it shows a little greasy, you're right, seems like there's too much product for so little water, maybe try one part evoo, one condish, and two parts water.

When I started using my oil+water spritz, I had really dry ends so I diluted 1 part coconut oil to two parts of water, but nowadays I can just use one part of coconut for five parts water. Its a trial and error kind of thing, at some point you'll figure out the right ratio for you :)

Yeah !! and lots of experimentation .. and enjoyment along the way :D will be trying your concoction = 1 part to 5, sounds good to me .. and will put 1 part more water in the evoo mix, thanks for your help

Slinks
April 11th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Yeah !! and lots of experimentation .. and enjoyment along the way :D will be trying your concoction = 1 part to 5, sounds good to me .. and will put 1 part more water in the evoo mix, thanks for your help

well, I put one more part water in my mix and I LOVE it .. Yesterday I did a CWC and then a spray of my evoo mix and presto my hair couldn't love me more :-)