PDA

View Full Version : Hair loss sucks! Please share your story

Ninanajna
April 8th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Hi!
I'm new here. i'm 23 and always had long hair.
Last 2-3 years i lost about half of what i used to have.
Haven't been diagnosed. My derm told it's TE and it would pass.
So i had ups and downs with sheds (i don't know anymore what is normal for me) but problem is hair isn't replaced right.

So i'm using minoxidil 5% (8months) and MN(one month).
I still don't feel it's any better. It's see trough on scalp :(

I have baby hairs growing but nothing major to hide the scalp. i even shed those little baby hairs. My shed is now down (used to be >100, now around 50)

I'm getting desperate, i love long hair and it's leaving me...

Please share your story if you had these problems also, any advice will help :)

rchorr
April 8th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Hey, I can totally feel your pain! I had 1/2 of my thyroid gland removed in Jan. of 2010. Then in Nov. of 2010, I had cancer removed from my left breast. 2 bouts w/anesthesia, and the whole thyroid thing, have left my hair totally pathetic.

I've been taking evening primrose oil, b-complex, and horsetail to try to stop the shedding. It seems to have helped. And, I do have about 6" or so of regrowth (the 1/2 of my thyroid that's left still works ... for the time being. I was diagnosed w/Hashimotos Thyroiditis, so it will eventually fail).

I can't tell where you're from, but I'm assuming the northern hemisphere. Summer will (hopefully ;^) be here soon. Wearing my hair up makes it look like there's more there.

You are not alone. Hang in there!

RCHORR'

Firefox7275
April 10th, 2011, 11:51 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a hairloss support thread somewhere, worth running a search.

Paladin
April 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
My hair had been thinning out and I finally acknowledged it. I had it down to my shoulders but it looked pretty bad so I buzzed it all off back in November.

I'm truly meant to be a longhair though so I decided to pull out all the stops and blast it with everything I could think of in one mega regimen, starting from a freshly buzzed head on New Year's eve, starting January 1st of this year.

In just over 3 months my hair has made a HUGE turnaround. It's thicker, more dense, and the texture has improved significantly. If you put in the work and build a solid regimen, with a little bit of luck things can easily turn around.

Right off the bat I'd suggest adding Nizoral shampoo (I use the 1%) to your regimen twice a week.

Good luck!

Ninanajna
April 10th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'm pretty sure there is a hairloss support thread somewhere, worth running a search.
ok, i'll try, tnx

My hair had been thinning out and I finally acknowledged it. I had it down to my shoulders but it looked pretty bad so I buzzed it all off back in November.

I'm truly meant to be a longhair though so I decided to pull out all the stops and blast it with everything I could think of in one mega regimen, starting from a freshly buzzed head on New Year's eve, starting January 1st of this year.

In just over 3 months my hair has made a HUGE turnaround. It's thicker, more dense, and the texture has improved significantly. If you put in the work and build a solid regimen, with a little bit of luck things can easily turn around.

Right off the bat I'd suggest adding Nizoral shampoo (I use the 1%) to your regimen twice a week.

Good luck!

So what are you using besides Nizoral? I saw in monistat thread minoxidil. is that all?
Is Nizoral just for people with dandruff? i don't have it.
And isn't MN doing the same as nizoral?

cuticom
April 10th, 2011, 07:55 PM
I was diagnosed with anaemia in November 2009, the hair loss became very noticeable by April 2010, and continued to the point I only had a quarter of the original thickness. The shedding stopped in January this year, since then I have four inches of extremely thick growth at the scalp and straggly hair on the rest of the length.

For me to stop the shedding it was all about nutrition. Strong B12 and Iron supplements, Blackmores nails, skin and hair vitamins, blackmores multi and lots of vitamin C. Plus making sure I eat plenty of protein every day.

Brenda714
April 10th, 2011, 08:34 PM
I too had a lot of hair loss and the ends became thin, and now I have this thick hair coming in that I can hardly control it's about shoulder length and looks crazy, but I don't want to cut it because that defeats my purpose of growing. I guess it needs to fill in first before it gets long.

Madora
April 11th, 2011, 07:26 AM
I had been losing more hair than usual but attributed it to the ageing process.

Only found out that it was due to anemia when I went to the doctor complaining of lack of breath.

Blood panels were done and I had to be hospitalized and received several units of blood.

This was due to diverticulitis..something I didn't know I had..and a very poor diet.

Bottom line: I'm now taking Iron supplements as well as Vitamin D, Biotin, Vit. B and Centrum Silver...and have given up the junk food and poor nutrition.

Most of my hair loss was on my right side, strangely enough. I still have an good head of hair, but it is nothing compared to what it was even 10 years ago. HOWEVER, there is a silver lining...less hair means it is easier to wash and doesn't take so much time to rinse out!

Paladin
April 11th, 2011, 07:58 AM
So what are you using besides Nizoral? I saw in monistat thread minoxidil. is that all?
Is Nizoral just for people with dandruff? i don't have it.
And isn't MN doing the same as nizoral?

From what I understand Nizoral, in addition to helping with fungus, helps block DHT at the scalp. I don't have a dandruff problem either but it's considered to be one of the "Big 3" for hair restoration (Minoxidil, Finasteride, and Nizoral are touted as such on hair loss sites). I don't touch Finasteride though, I use a couple of herbal equivilants.

Here is my complete regimen:

Minoxidil 5% twice daily
Nizoral shampoo twice weekly
Saw Palmetto Berry 85-95% extract
Nettle Root extract
MSM
Biotin
Fish Oil omega 3's
Cayenne pepper
Orange Triad vitamins (from bodybuilding.com)
Diatomecious Earth (just started using, hard to tell effect yet)
Monistat 3 (just started using yesterday)

Good luck.

elbow chic
April 11th, 2011, 08:37 AM
No first hand experience but my mom lost ENORMOUS amounts of hair last year. Normally her ponytail is like a chubby baby's wrist, so it took a lot to convince her doc that she WAS thinning.

Anyway, they finally put her on thyroid meds and Vitamin D, and she's got a lot of new growth coming in now. Definitely get your thyroid levels checked!

Ninanajna
April 14th, 2011, 06:10 AM
well i checked all.
my thyroid was fine, first there was some lump but it disappeared on the next visit.
my ferritin levels are also fine, was anemic as a kid but now it's ok..

thank you for all your advices, i'll keep with vitamins, minoxidil, monistat and hope for the best :)