PDA

View Full Version : Bye bye hair ;(

-Cookiez-
April 8th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I lost all my locks March 19th. For locks of love.

I currently have a haircut which is basically a grown out pixie, about maybe 2 inches all over.

If I keep good care of my hair and such about how long should my hair be by the end of summer? ( my hair growns 1/3 inch or 1/2 when I'm active, such as the summer)

CarpeDM
April 8th, 2011, 08:25 AM
2 or 3 inches longer maybe?

christi.adell
April 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
My albums show how long my pixie has grown over the past year. I started a little shorter than you and a year later I'm barely at jaw length. My hair consistently grows 1/2" per month. But I do get trims every other month.

Best just to try and forget about it. I killed myself over it the first few months. My hair did not grow faster because I was worrying about it!

jojo
April 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM
you do realise that locks of love is a scam don't you?

Id say by the end of summer below ear length? depends how quick your hair grows really.

UltraBella
April 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Well, good for you ! No matter how some here feel about Locks of Love, your heart was in the right place and that's what matters. :flower:
Many people experience faster growth during the summer months, I myself get an inch monthly. By the end of summer you could have several inches. Do try to enjoy your hair at this length while growing it out, how nice and cool it will be for the warmest months makes me jealous !

Beatnik Guy
April 8th, 2011, 04:02 PM
No matter how some here feel about Locks of Love, your heart was in the right place and that's what matters. :flower:
At risk of being contrary, no, it's not what matters. The LoL scam continues because well-meaning people get a "warm, fuzzy feeling". Here's the link to the 2007 New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html) on this topic. :twocents:

telegraph64
April 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Oh the poor dear, all she needs is regret now... it is so sad to lose one's hair without knowledge of where it will end up. As one of the ladies above said, it is true that your heart was/is in the right place, and that is all that matters.
Best wishes and hair growing vibes to Cookiez. :grouphug:

UltraBella
April 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
It IS what matters to me, it's already done. She can't change her mind, she can't get her hair back and there is absolutely no reason to let the LOL issue overpower the fact that she believed she was doing something for a good cause. I think her feelings should be taken into consideration and a little more thought should be put into responding.

CarpeDM
April 8th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Beatnick Guy, thanks for attaching, I've always wondered what the controversy was about.

telegraph64
April 8th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It IS what matters to me, it's already done. She can't change her mind, she can't get her hair back and there is absolutely no reason to let the LOL issue overpower the fact that she believed she was doing something for a good cause. I think her feelings should be taken into consideration and a little more thought should be put into responding.

I agree, UltraBella!

The link Beatnik Guy attached, however, was a very good and informative link, and at least we can all know what the real deal behind the upstarts is, which is better than being blinded. :)

UltraBella
April 8th, 2011, 05:02 PM
I agree, UltraBella!

The link Beatnik Guy attached, however, was a very good and informative link, and at least we can all know what the real deal behind the upstarts is, which is better than being blinded. :)

I agree, it's a helpful link and good information. I think making informed decisions is very important.
I just think sometimes a gentle delivery is in order. When I thought about how I would possibly feel if I was this new member and had the word "scam" catch me off guard after posting I had donated to LOL, I knew I wouldn't feel very good and that's a shame.

Kaya
April 8th, 2011, 05:09 PM
At risk of being contrary, no, it's not what matters. The LoL scam continues because well-meaning people get a "warm, fuzzy feeling". Here's the link to the 2007 New York Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/06/fashion/06locks.html) on this topic. :twocents:

I apologize if this is a hijack of the thread, but I read through the article and I came away with this: I personally don't think that LoL isn't necessarily a scam. It's just seems that people have been grossly mis-educated and don't understand exactly what they are doing. Granted, LoL needs to make it explicitly clear what happens to a majority of the hair donations and take measures to prevent it. That is definitely dishonest business practices. But unfortunately, it's been so ingrained in people that donating to them equals a 'warm and fuzzy' charitable feeling, that it's hard to stop. So it just keeps going. And it's a vicious cycle.
It's a really sad situation that the other charities can't get the same attention as LoL. I think LoL does do some good, and could do even more. They just need to set down strict guidelines and get things organized, regardless of the size of the business. Perhaps closing down for a period of time would help them accomplish it.
But that's just my take on it and feel free to rant back at me...

Miss Catrina
April 8th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Well, this topic sure is going well... :I

It depends a little on what you consider to be the end of summer. If we're counting through august (about 4-5 months) I'd count on 2-3 more inches. The average hair growth rate is 6 inches per year, so you can estimate from that.

Of course there are things you can do to maybe speed it up. Make sure you're getting all the vitamins you need, for one. :)

jesis
April 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
:cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

Nae
April 8th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Bless you Jesis, oh wise wielder of the cheese! Cheese makes everything better! My favorite is muenster.

To the OP, Welcome to the LHC!!!!! I am sure you will get at least 2 to 3 more inches this summer, then go on to ever greater lengths. We are glad to have you join our forums.;)

-Cookiez-
April 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
I made my choice, and as a few other people said, I can't reattach it. I wanted to cut off my hair to support my dead friend's wishes. ( She died from Kindey Cancer). She strongly believed in the idea of LOL and she was very thankful to them because that is how she receieved her wing. Once she finished treatments her goal was to grow her hair and donate it to LOL. I felt like it was important to finish that wish for her, even if she is passed away.

Dark Rosaleen
April 8th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your friend. It was kindhearted of you to honor her wishes.

Cirafly24
April 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
I made my choice, and as a few other people said, I can't reattach it. I wanted to cut off my hair to support my dead friend's wishes. ( She died from Kindey Cancer). She strongly believed in the idea of LOL and she was very thankful to them because that is how she receieved her wing. Once she finished treatments her goal was to grow her hair and donate it to LOL. I felt like it was important to finish that wish for her, even if she is passed away.

That's lovely that you donated to support one of your friend's last wishes. :flower:

I'm sure you'll find that this community has massive amounts of information and support that will help you on your journey to longer hair :)

lauravmarcela
April 8th, 2011, 07:41 PM
awwww thats sweet. You'll hair will grow out lovely with some tender care :)

AnqeIicDemise
April 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM

No regrets, right? When my bff was misdiagnosed with thyroid cancer, I was ready to shave my head in support. We made a solemn vow to go give our hair to LoL ourselves a few days before her first chemo. Thankfully, it wasn't cancer, just hypothyroidism. This promise was the only thing that I could keep her going with until the proper diagnosis.

So, I, for one, appreciate the support you've given your friend by completing her wish.

^-^ And like another poster said, now to grow out those puppies with TLC.

In2wishin
April 8th, 2011, 08:20 PM

What a sweet thing to do in your friend's memory :flower:

I am actually kind of jealous because you will be growing all kinds of new hair with more care and knowledge than before. You don't need to fix damage, just grow, grow, grow :)

MeganE
April 8th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I apologize if this is a hijack of the thread, but I read through the article and I came away with this: I personally don't think that LoL isn't necessarily a scam. It's just seems that people have been grossly mis-educated and don't understand exactly what they are doing.

I have the same opinions about LoL as Kaya, when I found out that LHC considers LoL to be a scam charity, I read up on whatever I could find about it. Mostly because I have a friend who donated her hair, and since then I've been recommending it to people who want to donate, and I wanted to see if I even knew what I was talking about.

A scam implies some sort of fraud, and I didn't find any evidence of that. The damaged and unhealthy hair can't be used by anyone anyway, so when they throw it away, you can't really hold that against LoL. And they sell some of the good quality hair to offset reproduction costs for the wigs that do get made, and again that seems fine to me. They also sell some of the hair to support research into Alopociea. Again, I don't see anything wrong with that. It definitely didn't say they are selling the hair so they can buy yachts. :shrug: And their website is pretty clear about what hair they can and can't accept.

LoL is probably the most well-known of the hair charities, and I think it's going to come up again and again. So if there's any facts that I'm not aware of, I'd like to get them from the people who dislike LoL, please. If there really is something wrong with LoL, I'd like to be able to tell people about it. And if there isn't... well then I think people should stop saying there is.

When I saw that some of the members had spoken against the charity, I was worried that you might have felt you'd donated your hair in vain (which would be a horrible feeling, as I can imagine). Obviously that's not the case, and you've had a much more personal experience with LoL than we could have anticipated. I think it's really wonderful of you to carry on with what she would have wanted. It sounds like she wanted to be able to give back to LoL for helping her, and then she wasn't able to. Well done, that you did it for her.

nazzooyzo
April 9th, 2011, 03:21 AM
i don't mean to be rude but i noticed in one of your previous posts that you said a hairdresser got you confused with your sister and that's why you had it all cut off to a pixie???? but yet in this post you're saying it was a planned cut for Lol? anyway i know its none of my business but just found that interesting. and it good that you donated it however the cut came to be!

FluffSpider
April 9th, 2011, 07:51 AM
You could try using Monistat if you feel like you need it(there's a massive thread around here). Most people noticed increased hair growth(think double each month). Ofcourse, there are those who haven't experienced any thing in this respect, and I might be included in them(not sure yet), but it's worth a try.

UltraBella
April 9th, 2011, 08:23 AM
i don't mean to be rude but i noticed in one of your previous posts that you said a hairdresser got you confused with your sister and that's why you had it all cut off to a pixie???? but yet in this post you're saying it was a planned cut for Lol? anyway i know its none of my business but just found that interesting. and it good that you donated it however the cut came to be!

Cookiez, I went and found this post mentioned above. What the heck ???!?!
Which story is true ? Because one of them is obviously completely false. Either you donated your hair in memory of your friend, or an incompetent hairdresser accidentally chopped it all off. Which one is it ???? Either way, I personally have an issue with such conflicting posts.

ETA : In fact, you have a whole thread about your terrible experience having your hair accidentally chopped off. It was started March 31 and states it happened the week before. This thread states your donated March 19th. So, definitely the same cut, just wildly conflicting stories. It's sad :(

wvgemini
April 9th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Which story is true ? Because one of them is obviously completely false. Either you donated your hair in memory of your friend, or an incompetent hairdresser accidentally chopped it all off. Which one is it ???? Either way, I personally have an issue with such conflicting posts.

Uhhh ... yeah. I'm wondering the same thing too.

Bene
April 9th, 2011, 09:14 AM
:drama:

LisaMonster
April 9th, 2011, 09:22 AM
:drama:

:thumbsup:

Xandergrammy
April 9th, 2011, 09:45 AM

ETA : In fact, you have a whole thread about your terrible experience having your hair accidentally chopped off. It was started March 31 and states it happened the week before. This thread states your donated March 19th. So, definitely the same cut, just wildly conflicting stories. It's sad :(

The OP also says in a post on March 10th that her hair is about an inch below her shoulders. Unless she has a really long neck, wouldn't that be too short to donate anyway?

vanity_acefake
April 9th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Cookiez I think what you did was an incredibly caring and compassionate thing to do.
I thoroughly applaud you.
And just think your hair will grow in totally fresh, untouched by bleach, hair dye etc.
I hope yoy enjoy all the stages of growing your hair in again. Have fun with your pixie.
Well done you.
:)

ghilliegirl_an
April 9th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I know I'm probably continuing a hijack to this thread and for that I apologize but I too have wondered about the controversy of locks of love. All I got from that article is that too many people are sending in unusable hair and it needs to be thrown out, I don't believe that is entirely lols fault its more that the hairdressers and other such people that cut the hair are horribly ignorant of their rules and that needs to be addressed. At least their selling the unusable but still valuable hair to go to research that does make a difference at least. Correct me if I missed something?

-Ashley

Bene
April 9th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I know I'm probably continuing a hijack to this thread and for that I apologize but I too have wondered about the controversy of locks of love. All I got from that article is that too many people are sending in unusable hair and it needs to be thrown out, I don't believe that is entirely lols fault its more that the hairdressers and other such people that cut the hair are horribly ignorant of their rules and that needs to be addressed. At least their selling the unusable but still valuable hair to go to research that does make a difference at least. Correct me if I missed something?

-Ashley

They also sell the hair they don't use to wigmakers. So profit from there. And then they sell wigs to little bald kids, on a sliding scale, but there's still money exchanged.

I think mostly the controversy comes from how Locks of Love is mostly a word of mouth type of organization. People believe that the the wigs are donated (for free) to children who are bald because of chemotherapy.

So, when someone doesn't want to donate their hair, the rest of the public thinks "You mean you don't want to give your hair away to cancer kids?", and then there's a backlash. The person refusing to chop their hair off is demonized.

It might not be Locks of Love's fault, but they don't do much to dispel the myth.

MeganE
April 9th, 2011, 11:23 AM
They also sell the hair they don't use to wigmakers. So profit from there. And then they sell wigs to little bald kids, on a sliding scale, but there's still money exchanged.

I think mostly the controversy comes from how Locks of Love is mostly a word of mouth type of organization. People believe that the the wigs are donated (for free) to children who are bald because of chemotherapy.

So, when someone doesn't want to donate their hair, the rest of the public thinks "You mean you don't want to give your hair away to cancer kids?", and then there's a backlash. The person refusing to chop their hair off is demonized.

It might not be Locks of Love's fault, but they don't do much to dispel the myth.

I still don't see what's so wrong with LoL. They are probably the best known hair charity, which means that masses of people are quick to donate without researching their requirements, and I don't see how you can hold that against them. The animosity towards LoL on this website seems to be much stronger than would be explained by this. I feel like I'm still missing some information.

As a side note, I'm actually not sure where the idea that LoL donates their wigs to cancer patients came from. LoL donates wigs to people who suffer from long-term hair loss, and I've read in a number of sources that LoL considers hair loss due to chemotherapy to be a temporary hair loss. Alopecia seems to be their focus, in donations and in research.

Beatnik Guy
April 9th, 2011, 03:05 PM
It's also worth noting that there is no shortage of hair available for wigs (Indian temple hair for instance) and yet LoL has huge stockpiles and very few wigs produced -- and continues to ask for hair and not money (even though their president admits in the NYT article that money would be preferable). :ponder:

jojo
April 9th, 2011, 03:08 PM
I don't believe the op story one bit to be honest, she writes so many threads stating different stories of how she had her hair cut by accident, donation etc. UltraBella has asked 3 times in each different thread she has started which if any is true, but no reply smells strongly of BS to me

LisaButz2001
April 9th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Jojo, I'm with you. I've only read this thread and haven't seen the others, but I thought it was a troll post, especially since the OP has only participated twice.

physicschick
April 9th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I am closing this thread. If people have concerns about a post or a poster, please use the "report post" button.