PDA

View Full Version : Starting to lose hope

Tiina
April 8th, 2011, 04:17 AM
I am really quite sad now. I lost a lot of hair after pregnancy and I have been hopeful for months that the thickness would return. It hasn't. In fact it seems I've lost a further 0.3 inches off my circumference. It may not sound like much but having once been close to iii thickness, it is depressing to get closer and closer to i. This has been going on so long that I don't even remember what my normal shedding rate used to be and thus I don't know if I am still loosing hair or not. I do have some new growth but... It seems like I will never get back my thick hair. Add the fact that I still hate the contrast between my dyed hair and natural hair and I just want to cut it back to chin or even shorter. The only thing that keeps me from the scissors is that my husband really likes this length. He has never seen it be so long and neither have I since I was a child.

I am unsure if I am going to do anything about it. I kind of promised myself to do a no-trims year so most likely I will continue as I have done for the past couple of months. Up, up, away and forgotten. But I wish I could enjoy it more.

Thank you for reading this complain-o-rama.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 8th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Could this be anything medical? Natural thinning? :( I'm sorry. If you think it would be worth cutting back some, esp. if it's been the '2 weeks' then I think you should do it, sounds like for solid reasons & I don't think you should be something that's seems to be making you unhappy because your hubby likes otherwise. Maybe you could try to spare an inch just to see?
Hugs, hugs, more hugs :grouphug: (not a complain-post either)

MonaLisa
April 8th, 2011, 04:34 AM
I'm quite sure it will go back to normal! Can't happen over night tho! :)
Don't lose hope or patience.
If your husband loves it, I'm sure it looks really good.

I have no experience with pregnancy shedding, but I do with some caused by stress I believe, it really looked hopeless at one point, and putting it up and forgetting about it resulted in pleasent length surprise one day :) And shedding stopped of course, eventually as our bodies tend to want to return to normal balance.

Don't worry, just do what you can, treatments, vitamins, and most importantly - positive thoughts!
Hugss!!

I don't think cutting it will help the shedding, perhaps jsut visual thickness :)

Siiri
April 8th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Is it possible that the new hair just is still so short that you can't notice your hair getting thicker? I mean that you probably measure the thickness from the thickness of the pony tail and it takes a while for them all to grow that long? I think you should still wait before cutting, if you yourself prefer it long.

Pregnancy does change the body and hair for some women even permanentally, you just have to accept the "risk" if you want children. If you decide to wait but the hair still isn't getting any thicker, you just need to decide whether short and thin(ner) or long and thin(ner) feels best. I wouldn't even necessarily call a i/ii hair thin, and I don't think cutting hair shorter or cutting too much layers makes the hair look any thicker. On the bright side, you can now maybe do updos that you couldn't do with the length and thickness you had before?

Kisa
April 8th, 2011, 05:39 AM
Hair doesn't grow out in months, it takes years for hair to grow long, hence becoming thicker. So don't worry about it - the thickness will come back if you just give it a year or two. Your body need to recover and so does your hair. I take vitamins and it makes my hair grow faster (at least that is what I want to believe), so I recommend that.

I'm also growing out my dye... I hate the contrast between dyed and natural hair as much as you do. It's not fun. But you just got to believe that in the end - you will have that long, virgin, thick(er) hair.

Lots of hugs

frizzinator
April 8th, 2011, 05:57 AM
Cutting is not a solution, you'll just have thin short hair. I have thin hair, and there was no way I could cover scalp cleavage when my hair was hanging down short or long, but I wear an updo everyday and if I can see my scalp after putting my hair up, it is easy to shift a few hairs to cover it.

I suspect that growing out hair color would be less obvious if your hair is in an updo.

Cupofmilk
April 8th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I can sympathise. I shed for nearly a year after my youngest was born and I stopped feeding. The good news is it did stop and I have a halo of fluffy short hairs all over - they are taking their time to catch up but one day I shall be able to get them into the pony to measure.
I just ignore my hair - put it up and try to forget it.

In2wishin
April 8th, 2011, 06:52 AM
I am another who has lost a lot of hair: first after a major weight loss and second after a really high fever (no children so I can't specifically address pregnancy loss). Just remember that hair typically grows 6" a year so it will take at least that for regrowth to be noticeable in a pony. Be patient and you should see it come back. :grouphug:

Tiina
April 8th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Thank you all :grouphug:

Yeah.. I guess cutting it won't make it any thicker but maybe it will keep my mind off how bad it looks when the thinnest part is gone. I think I will invoke the 2 week rule but not take off more than to the shoulders. Maybe that would help me feel better about it. It's hard to be patient and wait til it comes back. Starting all over again is tempting but then I'd have to wait even longer for it to be truly long hair... :o

MonaLisa
April 8th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I vote no :p perhaps a tiny trim, but don't take off any length, I went through your pics, and i like how it looks!

alyanna
April 8th, 2011, 07:40 AM
I second the advice you've gotten so far, especially Kisa's. I know how you feel, because I've been suffering from AGA for a decade now (I"m only 33). And I agree that cutting is not the answer, but certainly taking extra care of your health and hair is! It'll take a while, but I'm sure you will see some improvement and an increase in thickness over a longer period of time. :grouphug:

In2wishin
April 8th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Thank you all :grouphug:

Yeah.. I guess cutting it won't make it any thicker but maybe it will keep my mind off how bad it looks when the thinnest part is gone. I think I will invoke the 2 week rule but not take off more than to the shoulders. Maybe that would help me feel better about it. It's hard to be patient and wait til it comes back. Starting all over again is tempting but then I'd have to wait even longer for it to be truly long hair... :o

How about a compromise: do regular trims to keep your hair at the current length until it thickens up a little more, then work on growing?

Anje
April 8th, 2011, 08:04 AM
I'm with In2wishen -- just maintain your hair at its current length. Give those new hairs a chance to catch up.

How long has it been since you were pregnant? No personal experience, but I'm under the impression that it can take a year or so for the shedding to stop and hair to start really coming back, and then however long it takes for the new growth to reach the ends. And few people ever achieve their during-pregnancy thickness when not pregnant.

Ninanajna
April 8th, 2011, 09:17 AM
i'm in similar situation. i don't have heart to chop my hair off. i know last time i get it cut, little under shoulders, it didn't feel any thicker. just shorter.
so i'm with all the others about not cutting it ;)

I second the advice you've gotten so far, especially Kisa's. I know how you feel, because I've been suffering from AGA for a decade now (I"m only 33). And I agree that cutting is not the answer, but certainly taking extra care of your health and hair is! It'll take a while, but I'm sure you will see some improvement and an increase in thickness over a longer period of time. :grouphug:

Are here any others with AGA? i don't know if i have one, haven't been diagnosed, but my hair didn't regrow at same state it shed so it started thinning.
how do you treat it? how is your hair?

p.s. i'm still newbie so i can't see anything personal about all of you

x0h_bother
April 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I'm sorry about the shed. I've never been pregnant, but I'm curious about any changes in routine. I'm also curious about vitamins.
I hope you regain some thickness soon :blossom:

RitaCeleste
April 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I don't know. I'm at about 3 inches of ponytail. I've had it thinned twice. I shed a good bit, I'm always looking at the hair in my brush wondering if I'm going bald. With thinning and layering and shedding, I have hair at every length possible. Its got some wave to it and gets fluffy anyway with all the short hairs mixed in. I ended up trimming out some of the layers and making the hemline a little thicker rather than trying to get longer so fast. The sides that got layered short are about caught up. Regrowth can take awhile to reach the ponytail anyway so its gonna be hard to know exactly what is going on with it. I've just learned to be happy with hair at all lengths and given up on achieving the look of all one length (God, why couldn't it also be silky and straight!!!) hair. I wouldn't cut more off the length than a trim, you could always layer for a fluffy look so the regrowth blends in with the rest later.

pixistixx
April 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
Don't give up hope! it can take a long time for hormone production to go back to where it was pre pregnancy... at least 6 months or longer. and after that, hair will start growing as it used to, so it will take a while for it to grow and notice the difference :)

elbow chic
April 8th, 2011, 12:27 PM
You're supposed to lose hair after a pregnancy. My understanding is that the hormone suppress your normal shedding for the duration of the gestation, (so you have OUTLANDISHLY LUSH amounts of hair by delivery date, lol)

and then once the baby is born you wind up losing all that temporarily retained hair, fairly quickly.

Mothers of young toddlers often have a wild halo of new growth, and I imagine it will catch back up and even out, and your ponytail with thicken back up. What a rollercoaster! And that's just what's going on on your head! :D

Misti
April 8th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Tiina, you don't mention how long it's been since you were pregnant, but I can tell you it took a couple of years after each off my children were born for my shedding to stop. Some of that is hormones, some is stress, and some (in my case) was nutritional and health related (hypothyroid made worse by pregnancy and feeding).

Then, as other have mentioned, once the growth picks up, it can take a long time for the halo to get long enough to make any different in how thick your hair feels.

<hugs> I know a lot about thinning hair and shedding. I'm sorry it's getting to you.

Rocket22
April 8th, 2011, 01:05 PM
As others have said hair doesn't grow overnight so hang in there. Know that you are very capable of having very nice thick hair and it will only be a matter of it all catching back up. :)

skyblue
April 8th, 2011, 01:31 PM
I agree an inch trim really does help in a big way, let the new baby hairs grow, wear it up and forget about it, before you know it it will be better ;)