PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to pigtails

PiroskaCicu
April 7th, 2011, 08:15 PM
I love wearing my hair in braided pigtails. It's one of my favourite styles because it's easy, fast to do and holds longer (for me) than just a single braid. It also shows the length, which I like!

However, I noticed there are some extreme reactions to the pigtail hairstyle on me. Some, like my DBF adore pigtails on me.:) Some, like a friend of mine, hates me wearing pigtails and said it's not appropriate to wear. :confused:
Then there are random strangers who have stopped me to say "Cute hair!" or others who give weird looks about my hair, or ask why I'm wearing it that way. :rolleyes:

What are your reactions to pigtails? How do people react to you wearing pigtails?

I personally love them on others as well as myself. :)

Here's a picture of my pigtails from my album:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7150&pictureid=95106

Cirafly24
April 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I love pigtails...I wear them probably once every 2-3 months, when I'm feeling particularly playful or in a good mood. I've never had anyone react negatively to it, but I have heard people say that pigtails are only appropriate on children.

Pish posh, I say! I reserve the right to wear any hairstyle I want :D

PiroskaCicu
April 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I love pigtails...I wear them probably once every 2-3 months, when I'm feeling particularly playful or in a good mood. I've never had anyone react negatively to it, but I have heard people say that pigtails are only appropriate on children.

Pish posh, I say! I reserve the right to wear any hairstyle I want :D

"Pish posh!" That is such a cute phrase ^_^. I also agree that we can wear any hairstyle we desire...even if they say it's just for children. :p Maybe I don't want to grow up. :D

krissykins
April 7th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I love them. People at my school always look at me strangely, but most guys will agree that it's hot :rolleyes: silly boys. But yes, pigtails are underappreciated on my college campus.

Rocket22
April 7th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Well when I was young very very young I used to wear them all the time called them doggy ears for some reason :) I think they are adorable although I haven't worn them since 5 years old except Halloween when I was a school girl :) I don't think I see them on other people that I can think of but I think they are super cute

Nevvie
April 7th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Dual braids don't usually attract the same attention as dual ponytail type pigtails. But yes, the normal reaction is not good. People either tend to think it's childish or that the person wearing them is going for the naughty schoolgirl look. It's silly really.

MaryRose
April 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
My husband likes them a lot. I never leave the house with them in because I don't like the negative looks.

PiroskaCicu
April 7th, 2011, 08:27 PM
My husband likes them a lot. I never leave the house with them in because I don't like the negative looks.

I wonder why just a simple hairstyle could cause such negative looks. It annoys me , really because I love wearing them.

Angeletti
April 7th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I wear braided pigtails occasionally when it's hat day, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5388&pictureid=99915) is a picture from my album showing them. I've never received any negative feedback from others while wearing them, but I'm sure some people look at me like I'm nuts but I don't mind because it gets all my hair out of the way and changes up the single braid look.

virgo75
April 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Whenever I wear pigtails I get called "Pocahontas" because I have tan skin and black hair...

TakeAPotatoChip
April 7th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Dual braids don't usually attract the same attention as dual ponytail type pigtails. But yes, the normal reaction is not good. People either tend to think it's childish or that the person wearing them is going for the naughty schoolgirl look. It's silly really.

That was the heavily-viewed stereotype at my highschool. A few freshman girls made that social 'mistake' and were treated as such for at least a few weeks. :confused: Boys can be so silly/cruel sometimes.

candlesandfish
April 7th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I generally have people think I am a lot younger than I am when I wear my hair that way. No negative comments though unless you see that as negative. My pigtails tend to be commented on a lot though since they're so long - people gloss over how long my hair is when it's down for some reason, but two pigtails and they always comment!

Rennire
April 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM
Yikes! I wear my hair in twin braids all of the time and I didn't realize that it was so frowned upon! I haven't noticed any weird reactions to mine yet. I doubt I'll stop wearing them anytime soon!

ouseljay
April 7th, 2011, 09:03 PM
I had a friend in high school who wore her hip-length hair in braided pigtails (the style that starts just behind each ear) nearly every day. I only saw her without them a very few times, it was always an event when she didn't. I never knew her to get negative comments, except once when a teacher made an aside to me. O.o She cut her gorgeous hair to shoulder length after she graduated, though. :(

I haven't worn pigtails since elementary school I think, but not for any particular reason. Maybe I'll do it this week. :D

Knotted
April 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
I wear pigtails a lot in the summer to keep cool. I get very few comments on them, but the few I do get are positive.

McFearless
April 7th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Beware of old creepy men who gawk at girls in pigtails.......that schoolgirl fantasy never really goes away huh

darklion
April 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
love 'em!
my neighbor is in her 60s and still wears them.

spidermom
April 7th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Well, see - to me those aren't pigtails. Pigtails are those little girly things that come off the side of the head just above the level of the ear, and it's either two ponytails or two braided ponytails.

What you have are twin braids. Nothing wrong with that! I've never seen a negative look when I've worn my hair that way.

CarpeDM
April 7th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I love to wear double braids, simply because it is the most comfortable style aside from leaving my hair down. It is much more comfortable than any ponytail, single braid, bun etc...but I do wonder sometimes if I am too old to wear them and if that is what people are really thinking.

Rocket22
April 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I had a friend in high school who wore her hip-length hair in braided pigtails (the style that starts just behind each ear) nearly every day. I only saw her without them a very few times, it was always an event when she didn't. I never knew her to get negative comments, except once when a teacher made an aside to me. O.o She cut her gorgeous hair to shoulder length after she graduated, though. :(

I haven't worn pigtails since elementary school I think, but not for any particular reason. Maybe I'll do it this week. :D

This story reminds me of a girl in elementary school as well, she wore two braids everyday as long as I can remember and then one time she wore here hair down I still remember that, it was amazing!!! this is 35 years later and I still remember her hair :)

UltraBella
April 7th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Well, see - to me those aren't pigtails. Pigtails are those little girly things that come off the side of the head just above the level of the ear, and it's either two ponytails or two braided ponytails.

What you have are twin braids. Nothing wrong with that! I've never seen a negative look when I've worn my hair that way.

I fully agree, that's exactly what pigtails are. They are adorable for the 5 and under crowd :)

Jeno86
April 7th, 2011, 09:55 PM
I love pigtails!
This: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2132/233/123/1038857396/n1038857396_99240_7964.jpg was the last time I wore them, so about 3 years ago. I've yet to get a negative reaction to them. I either get called the Goth Sailor Moon or Abby from NCIS. Either way, awesome.

On a side note: yes I had damaged hair in that photo (wish I had known about this site back then), which resulted in it being cut to my chin not too long after.

Slinks
April 7th, 2011, 10:07 PM
I wear braided pigtails occasionally when it's hat day, here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5388&pictureid=99915) is a picture from my album showing them. I've never received any negative feedback from others while wearing them, but I'm sure some people look at me like I'm nuts but I don't mind because it gets all my hair out of the way and changes up the single braid look.

that is lovely !! suits you well !! :-)

MafiaPrincess
April 7th, 2011, 10:12 PM
Braided pigtails is the only way my hair fits with a ski helmet in winter. I'm a supervisor and have to wear one if I put a foot on snow. /no one has ever said anything other than compliments over hair colour and length..

I worse them to school a few fridays ago and one boy has taken to calling me pippy longstockings though...

I look like a super cranky riding instructor, but..

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/Horsey%202010/IMGP9641.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/Horsey%202010/_IGP0736.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y134/Mafia_Princess/Agility/_IGP8106.jpg

Slinks
April 7th, 2011, 10:14 PM
I love pigtails!
This: http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2132/233/123/1038857396/n1038857396_99240_7964.jpg was the last time I wore them, so about 3 years ago. I've yet to get a negative reaction to them. I either get called the Goth Sailor Moon or Abby from NCIS. Either way, awesome.

That was an awesome photo !! lol, I too like Elvira and Lily Munster :-)

elbow chic
April 7th, 2011, 10:21 PM
They do have a certain... set of associations. Yeah, it makes no sense that two french or dutch braids are seen as acceptably grown-up but two english braids are somehow transgressive.

I wear them very occasionally, but only if I'm not going to be out much. :p

rhosyn_du
April 8th, 2011, 12:00 AM
I think pigtails (of any variety) are fantastic, and anyone who doesn't like me wearing them probably isn't someone I want to spend time with, anyway. :p

Seriously, though, I'm pretty baffled by the anti-pigtail crowd. Oh no, not an easy, comfortable hair style that fits easily under protective helmets and warm winter hats! What's not to like?

Yozhik
April 8th, 2011, 12:23 AM
I've taken to wearing twin English braids as one of my to-go styles -- they're comfortable and not as unwieldy and inflexible as a single braid. I also wear them back on my head, though, and not next to my ears, because otherwise it looks to me more like the child's hairstyle or "naughty schoolgirl" thing. As I'm also part-Asian, and I feel that there's a distinct association to Asian schoolgirls in pigtails that I usually try to avoid. :shrug:

Dragon
April 8th, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have been wondering why it’s rare to see people with their hair tied up like that. I wear my hair like that often and no one ever says anything except one person who likes it.

lilravendark
April 8th, 2011, 01:07 AM

My sentiments exactly

kyandii
April 8th, 2011, 01:38 AM
I love wearing my hair in pigtails. braided or just loose. It does attract a lot of male attention and I don't wear my hair in pigtails nearly as much now I bleach my hair. I had one man tap me on the shoulder on the bus and tell me I look like I could be a adult film star. :rolleyes:

Neneka
April 8th, 2011, 03:54 AM
I wore pigtails when I had hair. I had pink hair ties with pink plastic mascots on them. Usually I never wear pink or anything cute or girly or feminine. I just liked peoples reactions to them. :p

Blandine
April 8th, 2011, 04:28 AM
Pigtails ("Rattails" in my language, which sounds even worse) used to be a little girl's hairstyle in my generation - no one beyond the age of 10 or 11 would wear them. One braid was fine, but not two. Now they have returned into fashion, but it still seems weird to me to see them on grown women. To me it is a style for children.

But that's me. To each their own...

musemom8
April 8th, 2011, 05:03 AM
I wear pigtails a few times a month and I'm in my late 30's. I wear them low, not high on my ears, but I still get some looks. Whatever, I LOVE them and I will wear them even when I'm 80. Who gives a crap what people think -- it's my hair. It's not like I'm harming anyone -- geesh.

pixistixx
April 8th, 2011, 05:31 AM
I've seen braided pigtails on many grown women, in photos past and present, throughout several cultures, including the Bedouin people, Chinese, Tibetan, etc.

Fairlight63
April 8th, 2011, 06:20 AM
When ever I wear pigtails my son calls me Peppie Long Stockings, LOL

He doesn't ever say anything about my hair until I put it in braids.

PolarCathy
April 8th, 2011, 06:25 AM
I am 33 and when I wear my hair in pigtails (which I occasionally do) they don't give me alcohol at Systembolaget (= the only place where one can get anything stronger than 3% in Sweden) without showing them my ID. I don't wear them of course at work. ;)

Lippytoes
April 8th, 2011, 06:37 AM
Braided pigtails are one of my favourite hairstyles ever! :) Although nowadays I haven't been wearing them as much - I've been all about buns lately. Perhaps it's time to go back to pigtail land!

I've always been weirded out by the whole "adult film" association. It's really skeevy, given the (perhaps) primary association of pigtails with children.

Sweetie
April 8th, 2011, 06:43 AM
I often wear braided pigtails too - and anyone I know seems only to be able to shout "Hi Pocahontas" - so original....:rolleyes:

PiroskaCicu
April 8th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Braided pigtails is the only way my hair fits with a ski helmet in winter. I'm a supervisor and have to wear one if I put a foot on snow. /no one has ever said anything other than compliments over hair colour and length..

I worse them to school a few fridays ago and one boy has taken to calling me pippy longstockings though...

Your pigtails are so lovely!!! :D Also, what a beautiful horse and such cute dogs, too :)

patienceneeded
April 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I wear them all the time when my hair is long enough and I've never gotten any negative reactions. The people who do say anything have always been complimentary, at least in my experience.

alwayssmiling
April 8th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I love wearing my hair in pigtails. braided or just loose. It does attract a lot of male attention and I don't wear my hair in pigtails nearly as much now I bleach my hair. I had one man tap me on the shoulder on the bus and tell me I look like I could be a adult film star. :rolleyes:

urgh yuk poor you! But thats his problem - why should we change the way we wear our hair just in case someone gets the wrong idea:rolleyes:. Side braids, pigtails, dual pony tails - all are very practical, neat and tidy and look beautiful on all ages and both genders. If someone else doesn't like it they know where they can go!

CarpeDM
April 8th, 2011, 08:31 AM

EEEWWWWWW!

BlueCanary
April 8th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mostly the reaction I get anytime my hair is not in an updo is Wow, your hair is long. I'm not certain the funny looks are from the pigtails vs. the length. So, enh, I don't know. I think they're cute, but I get the "adult film star" connotation I suppose.

EvaSimone
April 8th, 2011, 08:54 AM
I hardly wear them but the last time I wore them I did fishtail braided pigtails. I didn't get any bad reactions except for one woman; she didn't say anything but she gaped at me and then sniggered. It was rude IMO.

Xandergrammy
April 8th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I love wearing braided pigtails and wear them often in the warmer months. It's my grandson's favorite way for me to wear my hair. I'll post a picture as soon as I find one. I don't usually get negative comments and I wouldn't care if I did anyway.

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/DSCN2368.jpg

And here's the link to one of my favorite times I wore double braids...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=251

RecklessCharlie
April 8th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Odd reactions to ponytail type pigtails on someone other than a 6 year old girl, do have merit. Simply because our society has been ingrained to associate that look with either children or as some others have said, the 'naughty school girl' look. While I agree it is stupid and unfair. It that way. I don't think anyone should let that sway them from wearing it if they want to but you can't blame people for viewing it a certain way.
However, two braided 'pigtails' aren't as greatly associated with those things so weird reactions to those are a bit....well, weird!

Mirsha
April 8th, 2011, 09:15 AM
I got told by the SO that I look ugly in pigtails.

Gee, thanks for ruining my almost every day style.

Other reactions are usually giving me a one-over. I haven't had many comments on it.

Jules diamond
April 8th, 2011, 10:09 AM
I love pig tails. ^^

Other people usually say they're cute, or call me Pocahontas when they're braided. lo1

Btw, yours are awesome! Your hair is so shiny. :3

Panth
April 8th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I wear them. I have even been known to wear them with bows.

rockprincess
April 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM

That's an awful thing to say! If you like the pigtails, keep rocking them! Maybe your SO is just jealous you have better hair? ;)

Xandergrammy
April 8th, 2011, 10:38 AM

Other reactions are usually giving me a one-over. I haven't had many comments on it.

I don't think it would be possible for you to look ugly in any hair style. Pay no attention to your SO.

PinkyCat
April 8th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I love them. I think they are cute and unique. I wear them from time to time, and sometimes twist them into buns on top of my head like mouse ears. I have never heard anyone say anything negative about them, and actually, I usually receive compliments.

Mirsha
April 8th, 2011, 11:27 AM
That's an awful thing to say! If you like the pigtails, keep rocking them! Maybe your SO is just jealous you have better hair? ;)

I don't think it would be possible for you to look ugly in any hair style. Pay no attention to your SO.

Ha, thanks guys. We're going to see monkeys tomorrow and I'm going to wear some especially for this occasion :eyebrows:

twolunarspring
April 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM
I think men often have a sex reaction to it... I have to choose carefully when I wear them, if I don't want to be fighting my husband off all day *rolls eyes*

pepperminttea
April 8th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I don't wear them often since I have a cowlick at the back centre of my head which makes the parting difficult to do evenly, and they make me feel like my hair is a lot thinner than it actually is. :p When I do though, my mother comments that they look childish on me. It's not something I'd leave the house wearing, unless they were in twin buns, or milkmaid braids. I'm not cutesy enough to pull them off.

I do like them on others, but for me personally, I prefer people not to use the word "cute" as an adjective for me. :shrug:

pixistixx
April 8th, 2011, 11:55 AM

that can't be true, I just went to your album and saw how pretty you are! my SO said they looked bad on me as well (when we first started dating) I hadn't worn pigtails for 5 years after that comment, until one day he asked why I stopped wearing my hair like that, and said I should because he liked it!? men are just strange sometimes lol.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 8th, 2011, 11:58 AM
slightly ot: I think most people's familiarity with Pocahontas goes only as far as Disney's Pocahontas... and I don't recall her wearing her hair any way besides down or in one side braid. I find it odd that people are being called Pocahontas wearing variations of pigtails.. :D

Xandergrammy
April 8th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Ha, thanks guys. We're going to see monkeys tomorrow and I'm going to wear some especially for this occasion :eyebrows:

Awesome!! Have fun! I've decided to wear mine that way tomorrow too!

elbow chic
April 8th, 2011, 12:02 PM
haha, this thread inspired me to put in braided pigtails last night. Woke up this morning and they still looked fine, so I wore them out to brunch, too.

(noooo other hairstyle I've ever tried still looks okay after I've slept on it.)

Shoga
April 8th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Pigtails are so cute! I wore them a lot when my hair was shorter and bouncy. Every once in a while I’ll do a Sailor Moon style because my hair is getting long enough to kind of pull off the effect.

The thing I like best about pigtails is that my head is completely balanced.

Mirsha
April 8th, 2011, 12:42 PM
that can't be true, I just went to your album and saw how pretty you are! my SO said they looked bad on me as well (when we first started dating) I hadn't worn pigtails for 5 years after that comment, until one day he asked why I stopped wearing my hair like that, and said I should because he liked it!? men are just strange sometimes lol.

Strange creatures indeed. I think he might have just said it because he just prefers my hair down and "in his face".

He rarely fails to remark how pretty it whenever I bring up the subject of hair, but the ugly comment was ugly and stuck with me.

nmarie33
April 8th, 2011, 01:18 PM
I wear braided pigtails almost constantly on the weekends. I also play roller derby, so on the days when I have practice I will make my pigtails into Heidi braids or a Chinese bun type thing for work, then let the pigtails down so I can put on my helmet at practice. I am 32 years old, and I dare anyone to tell me I am too old to rock pigtails! I can confirm that they cause a lot of male attention, though.

My great grandma passed away last year, but while she was still with us in the nursing home she had an 80+ year old woman as a roommate who wore braided pigtails every day. I thought it was a perfectly nice and appropriate style even for an elderly woman, and easy for her to keep neat all day.

Anyone who scoffs at the pigtails needs an attitude adjustment, I say! :P

jeanniet
April 8th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I never really wore them, and haven't thought about it much, but now I kinda want to start wearing them just to be onery. And they look pretty cool. Xandergrammy, your braids are amazing!

Malibu Barbie
April 8th, 2011, 02:04 PM
If you look in my album, mid way point ( I couldn't figure out how to post the picture to the link) There you will see one of my favorite hairstyles, while I play drum on stage. My Ponytails. I were them all the time, yep the guys go nuts over it!! I had many women with short hair tell me to grow up and I've had a few comment from little old ladies telling me I'm too old to be wearing my hair this way.. It works perfect for me to keep my hair out of my face and looks cool on stage. I will NEVER retire my pigtails. The world and people will just have to get over it, lol!!:p

longcurlygirl<3
April 8th, 2011, 02:07 PM
i always were pigtails :) they are cute and fast and get your hair out the way. plus my friends think they look adorable with my curly hair

xovictoryxo
April 8th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I get comments too. LOL
I wear them to sleep, and I wear them when I am having bad hair days, also when I do oil treatments.
Boyfriend likes them but teases me saying Pippy longstocking :(

Aleria
April 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I have to wear braided pigtails in order to braid my hair at BSL length (or shorter), because my hair's so thick that one braid isn't practical at all.

gthlvrmx
April 8th, 2011, 02:29 PM
My tuba player reacts negatively towards them, saying it's childish and especially bad on guys. Although, i do see more of the african-american men around here wearing them without any fear :) Props to them, i love pigtails, i usually get told they look cute, i look really native american(NATIVE PRIDE!), or get the oh my god why are you wearing that. But i love them, easy, and good for days i just feel perky and like having fun. Those bouncy days.

GlassWidow
April 8th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I wear my hair in...based on the thoughts in this thread I guess they're really twin low-pony tails, but I've always called them pigtails. It's the kind of thing that I wouldn't dare wear to work, and I think even braided like the OP's I probably wouldn't wear to work, but I do wear on weekends and such.

I am very particular about how I position my pigtails, though. If I secure them too high it's far too juvenille for my taste; if I secure them too low, as in the hair coming into the pigtail covers the ear, it makes me think of an old woman getting ready for bed (I'm not sure why). I have to secure them almost behind my earlobes, and make sure that they don't pop out from my head too much. I think it will get easier to control as my hair gets longer and I won't worry so much. Until then, though, I wear them but with lots of careful consideration to the stereotype they may be projecting. ;)

perkidanman
April 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
I love the braided pigtail look! My hair is layered now, so it's difficult without chunks sticking out everywhere. When I first when into the military (and cut off my hair to chin lenght so it would be "easier", man, what a HUGE mistake that was!) I wore my hair in low pigtails since in order to put my short hair into a pony tail (you can't have your hair touch your collar) I needed half a dozen pins. My hair curls so i had two thick, stubby, perfectly inward curling hook-like tails. Someone told me though in that, "I totally don't think so but this OTHER person said.." kind of way that it wasn't professional and was too "trendy" to be worn that way.

Animae
April 8th, 2011, 03:32 PM

i find that most of the negitive looks I get come from women who are older than me and have short hair. ummm, jealous much? I say screw em, wear your hair how you want it!

pinkbunny
April 8th, 2011, 03:34 PM
slightly ot: I think most people's familiarity with Pocahontas goes only as far as Disney's Pocahontas... and I don't recall her wearing her hair any way besides down or in one side braid. I find it odd that people are being called Pocahontas wearing variations of pigtails.. :D

I don't think it's a Disney correlation. People have that stereotypical idea of Native Americans wearing double braids, and Pocahontas is just a very commonly known name... When I dyed my hair blue-black, I got a lot of Pocahontas and Wednesday Addams comments on my double braids :rolleyes:

I love love love pigtails! I wear 'em braided, ponied, low, high, bunned - any variation I can think of! I've rarely gotten any negative feedback. My biggest denouncer was my mother, but she gave up after I spent my 16th birthday wearing very high (think Cindy Brady) pigtails. Now that I have a lot of length, I think people are more taken aback by that (not to mention my crazy accessories) - plus I look more anime or novelty than childish...

spigette
April 8th, 2011, 03:46 PM
I wear 2 braids a lot - wore them a lot as a little girl in the 70's, and when we would play Little House on the Prairie, I always got to be Laura cause I had long brown braids. :D

I wear them still, sometimes ponied up then braided, sometimes just braided, sometimes herringboned, or french, sometimes rope-braided. I frequently get reactions, but only positive (at least to my face, lol). My husband likes to pull them, hee hee.

maddog_running
April 8th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Ha, this thread has made me want to *desperately* wear these, but my hair is tooo short still :/

*grow grow grow*

silverstars
April 8th, 2011, 06:38 PM
When my hair was chin length pigtails were the only way I could tie back my hair for work (I did food prep in a restaurant). My co-workers never said anything, but my mom always gave me a look when I went out the door to go to work... now a days i wear french or dutch braided ones.

twopoints
April 8th, 2011, 06:57 PM
I wear them everyday to sleep. I see girls wearing braided pigtails everyday, but I also go to a high school. I don't think there's anything wrong with wear them for any age.

Alun
April 8th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Yes they are, at least in the UK and probably Canada, as that's where the OP is posting from. Terminology is apparently different in the US, and even in different parts of the US, but there's a whole thread on that, which I'm too lazy to look for!

Beware of old creepy men who gawk at girls in pigtails.......that schoolgirl fantasy never really goes away huh

Ummm ... pretends not to gawk... creepy? Me? Besides, she's not wearing a gymslip. Oops, perhaps I'd better not say more.

Cirafly24
April 8th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I wear 2 braids a lot - wore them a lot as a little girl in the 70's, and when we would play Little House on the Prairie, I always got to be Laura cause I had long brown braids. :D

I wear them still, sometimes ponied up then braided, sometimes just braided, sometimes herringboned, or french, sometimes rope-braided. I frequently get reactions, but only positive (at least to my face, lol). My husband likes to pull them, hee hee.

Haha! Totally off-topic, but I love to hear that someone else used to play Little House on the Prairie! My cousin and I played that like it was our JOB.

LotusFIre
April 9th, 2011, 12:36 AM
This makes me want to have DUELING BRAIDS!
I wonder which will win :D
I love being a fashion rebel hahaha

nighthawk
April 9th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I've been wearing double braids to work for months now. My mother hates them, but she also never gives up the chance to say I should get a haircut, soooooo. I get the "wearing your handlebars" comment from the guys at work (I'm one of 2 women). Yes, I wear mine to work, but I don't think I would if it were a business that I dealt with customers.

I find it funny though, how many people think they are the end all, be all authority on what is proper as far as hairstyles (and length for that matter). Have you seen some of the hairstylists these days???

kitten1986
April 9th, 2011, 03:36 AM
This thread has inspired me to wear piggy tails to uni next week! I love them and think they are great and really dont care what other people think :p

skyblue
April 9th, 2011, 06:12 AM
I love double braids I use to wear it that way all the time, I never noticed any looks or got bad comments, but my twin braids are way to thin now so I avoid wearing them unless its for bed, I love the braid waves! Two makes for better waves lol!

bte
April 9th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I think a lot of the reaction is because they are "cute", or regarded as only suitable for the very young. Some may conclude that you are doing the "schoolgirl look"and wonder why.

CurlyZ
April 9th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Well when I was young very very young I used to wear them all the time called them doggy ears for some reason :) I think they are adorable although I haven't worn them since 5 years old except Halloween when I was a school girl :) I don't think I see them on other people that I can think of but I think they are super cute

DOGGY EARS! That made my day! Oooooh, I just LOVE that expression! :D
Sounds so much nicer than pigtails!

Xandergrammy
April 9th, 2011, 07:22 AM
I think a lot of the reaction is because they are "cute", or regarded as only suitable for the very young. Some may conclude that you are doing the "schoolgirl look"and wonder why.

I'm very happy to say that I don't think my pigtails would ever be regarded as cute and I dare anyone to accuse me of going for the "schoolgirl look"! :gabigrin:

PiroskaCicu
April 9th, 2011, 07:24 AM
I think I'll be calling them 'doggy ears' from now on!!!!!! hehe, that's cute!

I didn't think this thread would get so huge! THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE REPLIES! :flower:

Xandergrammy
April 9th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I couldn't resist posting this picture that became my inspiration picture a few years ago. I hope it's okay to post it. I credited the photographer and it was used in an article on msn.com Proof that you're never too old for pigtails.

Photographer is Darius Ramazani

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/B01FAC7829E1C992997C3EDF3BEEFE.jpg

dfotw
April 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
I usually wear my hair in a bun, but somedays my head will hurt or I'll feel 'bouncy' and I'll wear my hair in twin braids. The reactions I get are:

a) Pocahontas! (alright, then... :shrug:)
b) Wednesday Addams! (love this! :D)
c) You look so young! (at my age, this is starting to sound good... :p)
d) Your hair looks so long! (definitely sounds good! ;))

I get as many reactions to tell me it's childish as I get people telling my that wearing my hair in a bun makes me look like an old lady... I don't care either way! :wigtongue

CarpeDM
April 11th, 2011, 01:24 PM
I couldn't resist posting this picture that became my inspiration picture a few years ago. I hope it's okay to post it. I credited the photographer and it was used in an article on msn.com Proof that you're never too old for pigtails.

Photographer is Darius Ramazani

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/B01FAC7829E1C992997C3EDF3BEEFE.jpg

Love that pic!

CurlyCreature
April 11th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Pig tails = my favorite style ever

don't let the "haters" get you down - it looks really cute on your smooth shiny hair!

Firefox7275
April 11th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Ask anyone who makes comments about schoolgirls or other innuendo if they watch a lot of p*rn.

Alun
April 12th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Ask anyone who makes comments about schoolgirls or other innuendo if they watch a lot of p*rn.

I don't think it has much to do with porn, but more to do with once having been a schoolboy, right around puberty

Vijikanth
April 12th, 2011, 01:11 PM
Oh so Pigtails are serious issue with Women as well. Since I'm not able to pull all my hair into a single ponytail, I have to secure it into pigtails especially while exercising. It feels good but not accepted at all with men in my country. Single ponytail itself is looked down here.. :(.. And I have rarely seen grown females wear it. May be it has b'come an untold age limit hairstyle. But as many had admitted, it is very cute and gives a very pleasing look..:)

Venefica
April 12th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I wear pigtails quite often. I think they look good on me, and they fit with my bangs. I usually only get compliments on my pigtails. Some might think pigtails is only suitable on children and very young women, but I have never had any negative reactions at all.

This picture was taken about three years ago when my hair was allot shorter. It was taken on 17 of May the Norwegian national day so I am not afraid to wear pigtails even when dressing up. Pigtails rules.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/5458/16355105232749491045100w.jpg (http://img864.imageshack.us/i/16355105232749491045100w.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

pinkbunny
April 12th, 2011, 02:21 PM
Oh so Pigtails are serious issue with Women as well. Since I'm not able to pull all my hair into a single ponytail, I have to secure it into pigtails especially while exercising. It feels good but not accepted at all with men in my country. Single ponytail itself is looked down here.. :(.. And I have rarely seen grown females wear it. May be it has b'come an untold age limit hairstyle. But as many had admitted, it is very cute and gives a very pleasing look..:)

I think it's awesome when a guy is brave enough to rock pigtails! :D

stuntpeople
April 24th, 2011, 11:12 PM
Let the haters hate. I wear em almost daily. And I'm a guy.

http://hphotos-snc6.fbcdn.net/201884_10100704680661153_5204861_68325876_6159146_ o.jpg

The negative comments I get are from women, but they're few and far between. If I can do it, anyone can.

kme81
April 24th, 2011, 11:20 PM
I don't think that "low on the head" pigtails have an age limit...they look fine on just about everyone...as for the pigtails high on the head, I think they do have an age limit...mainly young girls.

sugarpixie10988
April 24th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I love pigtails! Sadly, my boyfriend doesn't like them much, so I don't wear them as often as I used to. I've never gotten any negative comments, or looks that I've noticed.

Here's mine from probably three years ago:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=5390&pictureid=70515

Slinks
April 25th, 2011, 01:14 AM
I've started wearing mine in plaited pigtails now too :-) let them look ..

fluffybunny
April 25th, 2011, 01:22 AM
I love to wear pigtails since they're more comfortable than a ponytail or bun, and more attractive than a single braid. I just think I look better with that distinct center part and some hair showing on the sides as opposed to all pulled back. As an added bonus the style camuoflages the hair cleavage look I normally get due to some thinning at the crown. You'd think a center part would expose it, but somehow it doesn't.

But... I do get unwanted negative comments at work, so I'm currently limiting my pigtail wearing to weekends. I got comments from a social group too, but now I just wear them so frequently, they've gotten used to is.

Reading this thread I'm feeling lucky to be middle-aged, at least I haven't been subjected to any skeevy naughty schoolgirl remarks. The DF hasn't really expressed an opinion either way on the pigtails.

julliams
April 25th, 2011, 02:19 AM
This is my standard hairdo for snowboarding/skiing. I've been wearing it that way for years and still will. if anyone out there thinks it's silly - too bad for them!

I personally think you look great with that hairstyle.

dinnee
April 25th, 2011, 06:16 AM
I like wearing pigtails to bed :) They are comfy! Sometimes I wear bohemian braids during the day, but most of the times I roll the braids into two buns to prevent splits.

young&reckless
April 25th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I've never had a non negative reaction. I get harrassed enough, so I only wear them at home.

I don't wear them in winter much though, they get stuck on my hoddie zipper.

11eleven
April 25th, 2011, 10:52 AM
This is something I have recently started repeating to myself:

What other people think of me is none of my business ;)

One can never be too old for pigtails or two braids!

Stub
April 25th, 2011, 12:31 PM
I've been wearing double braids for work for about 5 months, they hold all my layers (that come out in a single braid) and are comfortable. I don't think I have ever gotten ANY kind of look, certainly no one has said anything to me. But then, I work outside (walk dogs) so people driving by could be commenting away to themselves. But I don't have to hear it! I even had them on my photo Christmas card this year, and everyone said they LOVED that photo. OF course, it had my new puppy too and he is MUCH cuter than me! :)

HuggyBear
April 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I love pigtails! I don't think anyone is ever too old for them. If someone doesn't like it, too bad. They wear their hair the way they want to and I'll wear mine the way I want to. If I wanna wear my hair like Pippi Longstocking, then I will.:D

*Aoife*
April 25th, 2011, 12:47 PM
I love dual braids! They are the ultimate no pull, ouchless hair style. The also don't look too bad if you're trying to go another day without washing your hair.
I'm not keen on actual pigtails. But it's probably because that is how my mam styled my hair for my first two years in school. So I haven't really worn them since I was 6. When I have done them recently, my hair just looks too thin. So they look awful on me.

ScherzoDeLEON
April 26th, 2011, 08:00 AM
I love wearing pigtails and I think I'm just young enough to get away with them. XD Still, what I do with my hair is none of their business.

emsahib
April 26th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I think they look really good on you, plus it's your hair not anyone elses. Some people will judge others on anything but we don't have to listen to them :)

racrane
April 26th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I love pigtails. My boyfriend think they're cute, but I did get some comments at my college. Mostly from creepy guys. Oy, I try to ignore it.

Lildove
April 26th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Pigtails are SO cute! My neighbor would wear pigtails while doing yard work and I would admire them from afar. I would definitely wear them around the house but probably not in public because people do tend to stare a bit. I try to avoid calling to much attention to myself.

BrightEyes
April 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM
I love the look of two braids! I just saw a lady in the store with them and thought they looked adorable. I can't wait until I can have them.

alyanna
April 26th, 2011, 01:14 PM

GORGEOUS!!! I love your hair!

lapushka
April 26th, 2011, 01:30 PM
They're especially nice in warmer seasons, IMO. They take a whole lot of hair and weight off the back of your head, and you somehow sweat less. Perhaps people won't mind as much during summer? IDK... It is a more relaxed hairstyle, and can look kind of childish on some people, but if it suits you and/or it makes you feel great, why not? I think it has a far less chance of looking childish or adult on people with long hair (more of a Pocahontas, Native American feel) than on those with short hair.

BTW, if you sleep with a single braid, you should try braided pigtails during summer months. It's nice and cool! Put them far enough behind your ears, though, so you won't have trouble sleeping on your side.

Anyway, if I want to look more formal and/or distinguished, I will go with a more formal updo or a single braid or ponytail. I won't prefer pigtails.

eternallyverdan
April 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Huh, apparently I'm the only one who ever gets told that I look like a Swedish milkmaid/bar maid. I've gotten that one on several occasions from several people. People have said the same thing about my coronet braids.

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I wish my braids were this thick .. they're really thin .. *sigh* oh well !! lol .. I wear them all the time now, yesterday, I bought some small clip claws to do them up with instead of bands ..

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 02:37 PM
Huh, apparently I'm the only one who ever gets told that I look like a Swedish milkmaid/bar maid. I've gotten that one on several occasions from several people. People have said the same thing about my coronet braids.
yesterday I got the "you look like an indian" lol, where that came from ??? my hair is blonde, well, dirt blonde !! lol

Bonny
April 26th, 2011, 02:55 PM
I find that twin braids are a very comfortable style for sleeping.

However, DH cannot refrain from a comment about "Chinese revolutionary youth" whenever I have my hair in two braids. :rolleyes: When I point out that I am far from youthful, he replies, "Former Chinese revolutionary youth!" :disgust:

Kristin
April 26th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I wear Dutch braided pigtails probably 3-4 times a week; mainly to yoga and working out, but still. I love them. People- admittedly mostly little girls, lol- always stop me and compliment them.

tigereye
April 26th, 2011, 03:24 PM
I love them to bits. Before my hair reached waist I never wore them, but now I have enough length to show them off "Pocahontas style". At the moment they are kind of my holiday/weekend hairstyle.

Slinks
April 26th, 2011, 03:47 PM
I find that twin braids are a very comfortable style for sleeping.

However, DH cannot refrain from a comment about "Chinese revolutionary youth" whenever I have my hair in two braids. :rolleyes: When I point out that I am far from youthful, he replies, "Former Chinese revolutionary youth!" :disgust:
lol, that's funny !!

KatiSasha
April 26th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I cannot wait to be able to wear them again! I think they are adorable and super comfy on my head (I have a weird hairline on the bottom, it splits in two, ugh).

MeganAimee
April 26th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I love wearing pigtails! They make me feel cute. I'd wear them no matter what looks I got, cause they're fun. :D

SearMeCarefully
May 1st, 2011, 01:11 AM
I love pigtails they are one of my favorite hair styles (particularly in the summer). I've gotten the you are too old for that style but rarely. People say I can get away with __odd/abnormal style__ but "they never could" so whatever? I also get the occasional guy be all yeaaah (sexual) and I just roll my eyes to that.
My grandma who had hip/TB length hair wears them quite often and I grew up thinking how awesome that was and loving her hair as most older women go with the social expectations of cutting their hair just because they're older women.. don't get it

Raqdoll
May 1st, 2011, 01:34 AM
Pigtails rock! I especially like wearing them low on the head right under the ears - I think it looks fantastic especially with really long hair. :-D

-Raqdoll, the noob...

IcarusBride
May 1st, 2011, 10:42 AM
I also think the difference between twin braids and twin ponytails is a big one. 2-braids don't get too much negative attention, maybe a few comments about "Heidi" etc. Strangers don't usually make those to me, just acquaintances. But what I consider 'pigtails' is the two ponytails, and those get dirty looks and rolled eyes.
Honestly, this is not a perfect world and we have to understand that people who don't know us have no way to get an idea about who we are but by the way we present ourselves. It's sad that people are judging eachother before getting to know eachother better. Even I am guilty of it. When I see girls wearing certain clothes or hairstyles to class at University, for example, I think "Oh, please..." It's better if we can learn to appreciate eachother's uniqueness, right!

dulce
May 1st, 2011, 10:47 AM
at my age ,1 wear the 1 braid in front over the shoulder instead-at 59 -2 are probably not suitable for me any more but used to wear it like that when younger..

charalito
May 1st, 2011, 11:38 AM
I love wearing pigtails, specially when outdoors either skiing or scubadiving because they keep my hair tidy and they are really comfortable. There's always one person who calls me Pippi Longstockings, which at first annoyed me, but I got used to (and Pippi is a cool character :) )

Fizz
May 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
I still wear 2 braids occasionally, even though I'm 41:)
Most comments are compliments, but there are a few that will always say
"Aren't you a bit old for that?" etc etc
In which case I invite them to take a long walk off a short pier.:tongue:

gthlvrmx
May 1st, 2011, 05:39 PM
I still wear 2 braids occasionally, even though I'm 41:)
Most comments are compliments, but there are a few that will always say
"Aren't you a bit old for that?" etc etc
In which case I invite them to take a long walk off a short pier.:tongue:

Jajajaja. I love wearing them, makes me feel cute and bouncy. But i usually keep my hair up in buns to surprise people later when they see it down.

Kayla Nyx
May 1st, 2011, 07:30 PM
I absolutely love wearing pigtails!! for school when I didnt really feel like doing anything I would just do this! http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/164500_1392537834094_1851617055_741423_2532699_n.j pg

lynnala
May 1st, 2011, 10:23 PM
Uh oh......I guess the pigtail police will be coming for me.
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1481/39349883.jpg (http://img232.imageshack.us/i/39349883.jpg/) Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

ibleedlipstick
May 1st, 2011, 11:28 PM
I wear them whenever I do yoga or am feeling exceedingly lazy. Occasionally I will get looks or comments, but I have an odd facial structure/eye shape, and the braids kind of accentuate it.

It is also my go-to style for fun times, and I feel that I have trained my SO to react to it.

Otherwise, I have never had any crude comments or reactions to it.

PinkyCat
May 4th, 2011, 01:11 PM
I'll have to post pics the next time I decide to wear sock bun "mouse ears". It's darn cute & I'm 34. So cute in fact, I may do it tomorrow! :panda:

bunzfan
May 7th, 2011, 06:42 AM
I always loved the look but was worried what other people would think but, after reading this thread i thought who cares and I'm wearing Dutch braided pigtails:p

CrystalStar
May 7th, 2011, 06:56 AM
When I wear them my SO really likes them and compliments them, but I am a bit too shy to wear them out. By pigtails I mean twin braids by the way. I once wore them out when I was two years younger than now (I was 16 then), and even at that age a couple of people made negative comments about how I looked like I should be in lower school. Most other people liked them though. As they say, haters will hate. There will always be the people who never learned 'if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all'.:)

angelshair
May 8th, 2011, 01:57 AM
Ha ha, I wear my hair in pigtails all the time, especially if I'm feeling playful. :D I don't get how some people have the energy to get all worked up about how someone is wearing their hair. Live and let live, I say. I love pretty much any hairstyle (except those that involve back-combing, that makes me gag a little bit because I keep imagining all the damage) , it's important to mix it up. Variety is the spice of life, etc etc. :D

Lippytoes
May 10th, 2011, 03:47 AM
I came back home from a trip to Edinburgh last night and wore braided pigtails on the plane. Comfiest travelling hairstyle ever! :)

Jomo
May 10th, 2011, 04:12 AM
lynnala, I think your pigtails are adorable :)

I agree with one of the early comments - if you're 'too old' for pigtails, you're too old to care about comments like that! I love pigtail plaits and I'm sure I'll be wearing them only more often (as I start reaching goal length and stop being so paranoid about constant bunning to protect the ends)

lynnala
May 11th, 2011, 01:28 AM
Aw, thanks Jomo!

Freki
May 11th, 2011, 01:36 AM
It's one of my favorite hair styles! I wear them all the time, both braided or not. I don't get any more odd looks than I normally do... but that's probably because I have bright jewel colored bangs and facial piercings, and I dress kinda 'funny'... the pigtails are the last thing they see, heh.

Sharifa
May 11th, 2011, 01:48 AM
My mother-in-law sometimes wears pigtails. At first I thought it was odd, I guess I had the typical reaction that they are "only for children". But it looks cute and fun, and I started thinking "hey if she can do it why can't I?" I've only worn pigtails once since then, and didn't get any bad reactions (although it was at a con, so that may have been why!) I tend to not care too much what others think anyways, so once my hair gets long again, I'll definitely wear it that way more often!

dinnee
May 11th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I usually wear them like bohemian braids or dutch braids, that end in pig tail braids. I always carry some elastics or bobby pins to pin the tassles up in small buns when I feel it's more appropriate. But so far I've only had positive comments. :)

JuliaDancer
May 11th, 2011, 07:07 AM
Whenever I wear pigtails I get called "Pocahontas" because I have tan skin and black hair...

I get the same! I've had a woman tell me that "grown-ups don't wear pigtail braids" but I don't care. I actually have never had negative comments from men about them. I wear them at least once a week, if not more. Because I'm still growing out layers, dutch pigtail braids just stay in longer without all the little pokey strands. Plus, they work much better with a hard hat than a bun or a regular ponytail (unless I wear a low ponytail).

Jean Stuart
May 11th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I play with mine too much for pigtails to be beneficial. I can't help it they are fun.

HintOfMint
May 11th, 2011, 10:12 AM
I'm 24 and I wear twin braids (both French and English) pretty often. I don't get strange looks as far as I know, but I have a pretty mature way of dressing otherwise, so I don't get the immature comment/look. I've found that dressing very deliberately tends to remove a lot of judgment. Eventually, people get over it and realize, "She's just being HintOfMint."

Peanutter
May 11th, 2011, 11:04 AM
One of my hair inspirations is Claudia Black and her pigtails! (Aeryn Sun or Vala Mal Doran for the geeks out there) Love love love her in pigtails!! Google image her for a beautiful woman rocking the pigtails.

Tefnut
May 11th, 2011, 11:36 AM
One of my hair inspirations is Claudia Black and her pigtails! (Aeryn Sun or Vala Mal Doran for the geeks out there) Love love love her in pigtails!! Google image her for a beautiful woman rocking the pigtails.

Indeed sci-fi geek here! she has awesome hair.
I nearly always wear my hair in pigtails it's comfortable and practical. Don't normaly get many comments on them. My fella likes them.

Qamar
May 12th, 2011, 04:04 AM
I wore high pigtails today (near the crown, behind the ear, hair unbraided) with a flower behind my ear and got compliments on them despite being 44 and having the pigtail ends falling nearly to tailbone. I was in a pigtail mood, and don't feel the need to quash that because of someone else's preconcieved notions. :) If you like them, wear them!

Rebecca.1905
May 12th, 2011, 05:41 AM
I agree, if you like them, wear them!!

I don't normally, but this time of year my office is HOT, and my thisclosetowaist hair is getting too hot to wear down - which I normally do. Since I'm uncomfortable with hair pulled back, I did twin braids today. I have already gotten a ton of compliments on how cute it looks!

If it makes you happy, it's YOUR hair, do it, rock it, love it!

Priska
January 13th, 2024, 09:56 PM
I love dual ponytails because I feel they make a person look humorous and playful. Not a boring person. But braids make my hair look a lot shorter when they hang on the front side.. cool anyway and this hairstyle works good in wintertime under hat when I'm outdoors :thumbsup:

TatsuOni
January 14th, 2024, 12:33 AM
I love dual ponytails because I feel they make a person look humorous and playful. Not a boring person. But braids make my hair look a lot shorter when they hang on the front side.. cool anyway and this hairstyle works good in wintertime under hat when I'm outdoors :thumbsup:

Being me, I say that I'm wearing Wednesday Addams braids, when I wear two braids :lol: I like the style, but since it's not too practial with my length, I only wear it a few times or so, a year.

Chasemi
January 14th, 2024, 08:55 PM
I stopped wearing pigtails after an older man at work said I didn't look old enough to be working. I laughed it off, trying to move on and take his order, he asked how old I am, I replied saying, I'm 19. His response? "Just barely though, right?" With a wink and a smile.

Uhhhh.... didn't like that

Complexity
January 15th, 2024, 05:33 AM
Chasemi, I'm so sorry that you had that experience. Ugh.

I like them, but I can never make them even and that drives me crazy (but I'm also a person who stubbornly commits sometimes, haha, so I keep them in), so I don't do them very often.

ETJ CURLS
January 15th, 2024, 07:41 PM
I don't think I've ever worn the high pigtails, might have to try it sometime. :hmm: but I wear low twin braids, english, french, or dutch all the time. I love how the style looks on me, and think it frames my face nicely when pulled forward over my shoulders. It's also more convenient for overnight air drying than a single braid!

https://i.ibb.co/6XQyQvm/B74-DFF2-A-4681-4-B93-8-F56-D0-F1681-B34-E4.jpg (https://ibb.co/6XQyQvm)

(Right, September, curly, vs left, December, straightened. Length is roughly the same in both shots, accounting for shrinkage).

Kingsdaughter
January 16th, 2024, 02:22 PM
Twin pigtails are my go-to style for camping and hiking. They hold my hair better than other styles, and they fit in with my playful attitude while out in nature. I don't wear them at other times, though. As a student teacher who already looks younger than I am, I don't need pigtails to make me look even younger!

Beckyw82
April 9th, 2024, 01:42 AM
I've worn my hair in Bunches (pigtails) frequently for years.
I am now in my 40s and don't care what other people say, it's my hair and I like wearing it like this

embee
April 9th, 2024, 06:04 AM
I've worn my hair in Bunches (pigtails) frequently for years.
I am now in my 40s and don't care what other people say, it's my hair and I like wearing it like this

Good for you! I knew a lovely lady in her 70s who kept her hair in two rather short bunches mostly over her ears. It was a signature style and she was charming. :)

Hedera
April 9th, 2024, 01:25 PM
Two braids is a very comfortable style for travelling, warm weather etc, and I like wearing them on wash day, so I can put a good amount of pre-wash coconut oil on the ends.

At over 50 years old, I no longer care what other people think about how I wear my hair: I did get a Pippi Longstocking comment recently... :jestor:

(I think the henna red makes the similarity more obvious)

Wednesday Addams is one of my style icons anyway, especially in the new series.

And did anyone see the third season of Only Murders in the Building?
Some excellent, long silver hair on Meryl Streep's character, including gorgeous twin braids a lot of the time! :crush:

littlemouse
April 9th, 2024, 02:16 PM
I always love seeing pigtails on others, i think theyre super cute! Sadly they dont suit me too well. I love my trademark twin braids though and would never let anyone stop me from wearing them :cool:

Lady Winchester
April 9th, 2024, 02:34 PM
If this lady can wear pigtails (though calling Harley Quinn a "lady" is a bit of a stretch, but you get my point), then so can I:

https://i.imgur.com/7ijfcTI.jpg

If anyone says that Harley Quinn is too old for pigtails, they're likely to get their head smashed in (you go girl)! I've only worn them at home (but lower), but even if I did wear them out, I don't think I would care much about what anyone else would think. I think on a episode of Family Guy (though it might have been another animated show), when someone told Peter Griffin (or another character) that they were "too old" to do something, he shot back and said something like: "Aren't you too old for braces?" or something along those lines. Another thing I'm sick of hearing is that a woman over 50 is "too old" for long hair. "Says who?" as Demi Moore so kindly put it. These so-called "rules" need to be put out of their misery, so to speak.

LongHairFaerie
April 22nd, 2024, 10:42 PM
Braided pigtails: I don't see a problem.
French/Dutch braided pigtails: Definitely no problem.
Pigtails/bunches: There is the potential for weird people to think weird things, but honestly that's gonna happen no matter what, especially with long hair.

As for me, I'm trying to figure out if I could still be recognized as Hatsune Miku if I went as her for Halloween, but with my own brown hair...
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fstatic.wikia.nocookie.net%2Fvsbat tles%2Fimages%2Fd%2Fd0%2FMIKUV3_img1.png%2Frevisio n%2Flatest%2Fscale-to-width-down%2F400%3Fcb%3D20160223222520&f=1&nofb=1&ipt=1470eaef54117ea5df0eb9b87d0b5af51ffdc6c35ccc76 923a92400ae466f9b9&ipo=images
(She definitely falls into that "cutesy anime schoolgirl" category, and fan art can get WEIRD, but that's true of anything on the Internet, really.)

(Also Miku is my avatar on here, just stylized and lacking her iconic bunches)