PDA

View Full Version : Beautiful Romantic Hair style

CurlyCreature
April 7th, 2011, 03:32 PM
My hair is no wear near long enough/tame enough to attempt this, but I do think it’s gorgeous and I wondered if anyone else wanted to give it a shot and share? Looks to me like longer than BSL might need to modify this, but it’s just so pretty and romantic! It makes me think of a princess…

http://www.celebhairstyle.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Victorian-Hairstyle-For-Long-Length-Hair.jpg

CarpeDM
April 7th, 2011, 03:33 PM
That is lovely!

ouseljay
April 7th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Oh, wow, that's gorgeous. I would never be able to do it by myself, though, boo. But I might like to try. I have the feeling my hair would make a break for it at the first opportunity, though :run:.

I can't quite tell, is the "net" of hair what's holding it at the bottom, or is there maybe something else going on underneath? Are there more pictures somewhere?

spidermom
April 7th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Pretty amazing! I wouldn't attempt it unless I had a couple dozen little claw-clippies. I hate to imagine the horror of trying to get little rubber bands or poly-bands out.

MaryRose
April 7th, 2011, 04:54 PM
That is pretty, but it is a bit complicated for me to try.

CathyEarnshaw
April 7th, 2011, 05:29 PM
That IS very pretty!

Pantsless Amy
April 7th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Hmmmmm. . . here are some instructions for hair smocking

http://shedoeshair.blogspot.com/2007/05/smocking.html

and when it comes time to take those elastics out I just carefully snip them out. I think it does less damage than pulling them through the length of hair.

So if we use the the hair from just the ears forward and smock it down the back of the head we can take the length and put it in a rolled sort of chignon? then add a black ribbon?

I'd have to do this on someone else's head. No way I could do this on my own. This is one you'd have to see what you are doing to get right.

CurlyCreature
April 7th, 2011, 06:15 PM
I'd have to do this on someone else's head. No way I could do this on my own. This is one you'd have to see what you are doing to get right.

Yeah, thats what i was thinking... & it looks like they are peices of thread or twine, not ellastics in the picture... so definitely snip them out...

*sigh* i always find beautiful hair designs (I sort of stalk wedding-hair sites) that i could never even hope to do on myself. When i have a daughter... oh the things i will do to her hair... poor not-yet-exsistant girl, lol ;)

ouseljay
April 7th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hmmmmm. . . here are some instructions for hair smocking

http://shedoeshair.blogspot.com/2007/05/smocking.html

and when it comes time to take those elastics out I just carefully snip them out. I think it does less damage than pulling them through the length of hair.

So if we use the the hair from just the ears forward and smock it down the back of the head we can take the length and put it in a rolled sort of chignon? then add a black ribbon?

That technique has a name, cool. :p (That little girl's hair looks like it's pulled quite tight, though. Ouch.)

Would a typical hairdresser be able to copy a style like this? I actually like it enough that I'm going to try to remember it for if I ever have something fancy enough to get my hair done for. I doubt the s.other would be brave enough to attempt it!

vanity_acefake
April 7th, 2011, 08:08 PM
That is so pretty.
:)

Madora
April 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Thanks for sharing that lovely photo, CurlyCreature! I remember seeing styles like that in hair magazines back in the 70s.

CaityBear
April 7th, 2011, 08:25 PM
That is very beautiful. I imagine it would take plenty of practice to do it on yourself. I think I might have to find somebody to try it on though. :) I'd love to do it.

selderon
April 7th, 2011, 08:30 PM
It looks like the black ribbon has some structural purpose. It looks like the ends have been curled under (really big rag curls?) and the ribbon looped around the hair above the curl and tied at the top of the head to maintain that hourglass shape.

Panth
April 8th, 2011, 02:27 AM
My friend in secondary school had short-ish hair with the top layer dyed and the underside dark. I always thought something like this, using all the dyed sections, would look stunning.

Qamar
April 8th, 2011, 02:55 AM
That is gorgeous, but not a style I can do on myself. I'm game to try it on a willing vic...er, volunteer though.

rockprincess
April 8th, 2011, 11:22 AM
That is so pretty! I wish my hair were long enough for styles like these.

pepperminttea
April 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Ooh, that is pretty. No idea how I'd stabilise it; my hair laughs at bobby pins. Gorgeous style though. :crush:

Pretty amazing! I wouldn't attempt it unless I had a couple dozen little claw-clippies. I hate to imagine the horror of trying to get little rubber bands or poly-bands out.

I find the easiest way to get those tiny rubber bands out is just to very carefully snip them, and unwrap them. They generally only hold for one or two uses anyway, and they're dirt cheap. Not all that environmentally friendly, but nice for now and then. :)

In2wishin
April 8th, 2011, 12:32 PM
I love that style! Instead of smocking with little rubber bands can you actually tie like macrame' ?

ETA: You would need a second person to take it out but might be less damaging than the bands.

Sagi1982
April 8th, 2011, 02:18 PM
I saw a style similar to this on a German longhair board. its a beautiful style, but time consuming and not easy to do on your own head, I think.

Kisa
April 8th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Oooh I love it :)

misstwist
April 8th, 2011, 03:28 PM
When I first started growing out I would occasionally do that type of smocking to control the front before I could engineer all of it into a ponytail. Always got lots of compliments on it.

I did try with the tiny jaw clips, but they tended to slip out. I switched to the small bands. Didn't have trouble with pulling when I took them out, but my hair was fairly short and heavily coned at the time.

Got the idea from a Star Trek episode. Those shows have the best hair!

Becky Safari
April 8th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Oh my goodness it looks like those fancy hair nets that high class women wore in medieval France! But with a modern twist...

trillian
April 8th, 2011, 08:04 PM
Let's see if I can post a picture of my dismal attempt without eating the thread with photo size or doing something else wonky...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7592&pictureid=99980

ouseljay
April 8th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Let's see if I can post a picture of my dismal attempt without eating the thread with photo size or doing something else wonky...

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7591&pictureid=99976

:( Can't see it.

trillian
April 8th, 2011, 09:05 PM
:( Can't see it.
That might be just as well Ouseljay! I think I may have fixed it?

ouseljay
April 8th, 2011, 09:20 PM
That might be just as well Ouseljay! I think I may have fixed it?

Works now! :D I think it's actually great for a first try at something so darn complicated. :applause :toast: How did you secure the bottom?

I said upthread that my s.other probably wouldn't be willing to try it, but I just actually asked him :doh:and showed him the picture ("Oh, pretty.") and he'll give it a shot. :cheese: It'll have to be after he's done with classes because he's ridiculously busy right now, and I think I'll have to train him to use hair elastics, but woohoo!

Unipeg
April 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM
WoW! thats so beautiful! If I ever get to the Rennisance Festival thats the style I want to try. Thank You for sharing!

Tressie
April 8th, 2011, 09:23 PM
That is very pretty! It's almost like making a snood out of your own hair! (o:

trillian
April 8th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I stuck a hair tie on the bottom of a pony tail, pulled it kinda loose, and tucked it up with enough bobby pins to fill a space cruiser! I'm sure it would be easier if someone did it for you!

Milui Elenath
April 9th, 2011, 03:16 AM
I have done this, in fact it's my sig pic. You can do this by yourself it takes time but it isn't as difficult as it looks if you use claw clips. Claw clips can even be adjusted after the whole thing is finished to make it look more even.

Mine was started further up on my head and ended like a half up. It's also in my album.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=2726&pictureid=88621http://

I didn't know it was called smocking :)

akuamoonmaui
April 9th, 2011, 10:42 AM
It would be beautiful for a bride!

tigr
April 9th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Milui Elenath - All those little butterflies are so pretty!

gizelle
April 9th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I tried this last night for a friend's party. The picture was taken at the end of the night after I got home, so it isn't as crisp as it was when I began. Also the picture is taken with my computer, so the resolution isn't grand.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7596&pictureid=99999

CurlyCreature
April 9th, 2011, 01:15 PM
That looked so good! Yay im excited that people are trying it!

ButterflyKissx
May 31st, 2011, 02:06 AM
oh that is so easy! My husband's friend's wife taught me how to part the sections of hair and instead of twisting it, just to tie it off and go down the hair line making such beautiful designs. The key was to make sure the hair is extremely moisturized and tie off to hold and not to tight to damage the hair. When it came time to get those little rubber bands out of her daughter's hair, she would use scissors to snip the band! :thud: I thought there has to be an easier way! I got out my seam ripper hook, and it worked so well!:)

Arianna
May 31st, 2011, 03:12 AM
Oh wow, what a fantastic hairstyle!
And ButterflyKissx - seam rippers, smart move :)

Automne
May 31st, 2011, 03:33 AM
This is really pretty! It doesn't seem too hard which is great!! Thanks for sharing.

Domna H
May 31st, 2011, 06:05 AM
Wow, pretty!

arc691
May 31st, 2011, 02:33 PM
http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies/love-1.jpg

I love it! I looked up the website~ what a treasure trove of hairstyle ideas!

http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy68/terryandjody/Smilies/smiley-thankyou.gif

Slinks
May 31st, 2011, 03:25 PM
I was thinking of using claw clips, that looks awesome, I wonder how it would look if you plaited the in between bits !! lol, more work but worth it :-)