PDA

View Full Version : lackluster hair.. help!

vlhxo
April 7th, 2011, 11:54 AM
A few weeks ago I went to visit my future in laws with my fiance. I washed my hair while I was there and since then it's lost all it's shine and the texture feels off. They have well water which is pretty mineral-y so I feel like that may be the culprit. I haven't used any different products since then (other than trying out some oils and other leave ins to try to get my hair back to normal) and nothing is helping. I stopped heat styling (straightening and curling, I didn't ever blow dry to begin with) back in early December, and by the end of February my hair looked exactly how I wanted it to. Shiny, soft, and healthy. Now since that fateful wash, my hair is not meeting my satisfaction. I've tried oils, leave ins, and clarifying. I'm a decently faithful co-washer (I shampoo once or twice a week depending on need), so I don't think it's a lack of moisture. Help me LHC members!

polette
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 PM
The only things I can suggest are rinsing with a vinegar dilute, I find Apple Cider Vinegar works the best. I use 1/4 c to 4 cups every wash and it always makes my hair feel ten times better.
The other thing, I know you said you clarified, but maybe you should look into a chelating shampoo, such as Joico Chelating Shampoo. I personally have not used it, but I have read some people on here have had terrific results.

Good luck!

jojo
April 7th, 2011, 02:36 PM
try a clarifying shampoo tresemme deep cleanse is excellent, i too co daily and my hair feels the exact same when it has build up!

FireBunny
April 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Same thing happened to me about a year ago. It's actually what brought me to LHC as a lurker.

If you've already tried clarifying, you might want to try a chelating shampoo (like Joico). Whereas clarifying will remove buildup ON the hair, a chelating shampoo can help remove excess mineral deposits that got locked INSIDE the hair.

Wash twice & follow up with a freakin' ton of moisture.

GRU
April 7th, 2011, 08:46 PM
Also, you can try Club Soda. Ktani has all the details posted someplace on here, but it's supposed to have mineral-chelating properties.

vlhxo
April 7th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I happen have some club soda on hand so I think I'll try that first... but should I saturate my hair with the club soda when it's dry, or do I need to wet my hair and then pour the club soda over it?

GRU
April 7th, 2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

I happen have some club soda on hand so I think I'll try that first... but should I saturate my hair with the club soda when it's dry, or do I need to wet my hair and then pour the club soda over it?

I did it after CO-washing, to get surface junk off first....

Debra83
April 7th, 2011, 11:26 PM
The only things I can suggest are rinsing with a vinegar dilute, I find Apple Cider Vinegar works the best. I use 1/4 c to 4 cups every wash and it always makes my hair feel ten times better.
The other thing, I know you said you clarified, but maybe you should look into a chelating shampoo, such as Joico Chelating Shampoo. I personally have not used it, but I have read some people on here have had terrific results.

Good luck!

Totally this. Joico chelating shampoo. :cheese:

vlhxo
April 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Tried out the club soda and my hair is looking pretty good for now. But I'm definitely going to buy some chelating shampoo when I have the chance to get to the store so this doesn't happen again. Thanks again long hairs!

GRU
April 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Always great to see a happy ending! Congrats!