View Full Version : Manic Panic

MonaLisa
April 7th, 2011, 04:53 AM
Guys I really need some info about these dyes.
How damaging it would be to get some parts dyed ?
Is it possible to go some bright color on dark hair without using bleach? And how do I go back to my color afterwards?
Do they completely wash off or Ill have to recolor dark, and will it work?:confused:

terpentyna
April 7th, 2011, 05:19 AM
It's not possible to get bright semi permanent color without bleaching.

From my experience the dye doesn't wash out *completely* out of bleached hair, it does wash out though. You can add some to your conditioner though.

If you go over your natural hair, it will wash out more quickly and (especially on dark hair) only be slightly visible; this visibility varies depending on your hair color and texture. You will go back to your natural color after some time.

MonaLisa
April 7th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Thanks for the input!

And how damaging those dyes are? :eek:
Supposing there won't be any bleach

terpentyna
April 7th, 2011, 05:58 AM
This is personal experience, but I had no damage whatsoever on the unbleached areas. I had a brighter streak and some tinted natural hair around it and I noticed no change whatsoever.

-edit-

My friends that did for example red on their brown hair didn't have damage either.

MonaLisa
April 7th, 2011, 06:04 AM
Thank you so much:)

Do you think blue will work over natural dark brown?
No bleach of course.
I don't need it to last long, quite the opposite. It's for one occasion.
But is there chance it will be well visible?

insomniac-uk
April 7th, 2011, 06:33 AM
In the past I used Directions hair dye (which is similar to Manic Panic) on my natural dark brown/black hair. I found that the dark colours eg Midnight blue did show up but it was only a hint of colour and it was easy to wash out.

Make sure you dont use your best pillow cases to sleep on, because they will get stained even after a couple of washes.

apynip
April 7th, 2011, 08:54 AM
Manic panic will work its just a vegetable stain not really a dye.
Anyways, the best bet for colours are going to be the darker ones not the pinks, greens or yellows.
Blue's, reds, oranges, and purples turn out fantastically on darker hair.

Yes they will fade but depending on your routine determines how long its going to last you. My friend who uses it still has had some pink on her naturally light blond hair for three weeks and its just a little faded but not terrible looking. For me purple stuck to my hair like glue and was stubborn to get out.

oh yes and it does come out on your pillow like a previous poster said. :)

RitaCeleste
April 7th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I had a question about temporary dyes like manic panic too. I saw someone with blond hair and fading blue. Not a good look. I'm going to use Adore. I want to know if I could do a bottle of Blue & Blue BlueBlack or BlueBlack with Purple on it or a Wild Cherry without color stripping my hair again. I figured a Blackish Green might be pushing it. Its pretty much a medium to dark auburn. I want to switch the colors and maybe use a brown over the purple while its fading before trying the red again. My hair has some damage and since it is darker colors I want except for the red, is this doable without color stripping?

terpentyna
April 7th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Thank you so much:)

Do you think blue will work over natural dark brown?
No bleach of course.
I don't need it to last long, quite the opposite. It's for one occasion.
But is there chance it will be well visible?

I don't know how dark the brown, but I'm sure it will show up somewhat and be well visible in the light. :)

Dreamwings
April 7th, 2011, 01:27 PM
I used one of these types of dyes before, I don't know the exact name because it's in the bathroom at home, and I live in a dorm, but I used a dark blue dye on my hair, which is dark brown, and it turned out jet black for about a week before it started fading back to brown, and no damage was done.

Marianne
April 7th, 2011, 01:56 PM
For me purple stuck to my hair like glue and was stubborn to get out.

I've tried a couple of colours on my hair, and purple was the one which stubbornly stuck around for me too. Only on the underneath of my hair though, for some reason. I loved the red, but it completely disappeared for me by the second wash. I have dark hair, and it still showed up nicely as a really deep, dark ruby red.

RitaCeleste
April 7th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Thanks! I'm going to try the colors I want without stripping my hair first. No point in doing damage if you don't have to. It wouldn't take much to lighten my roots just to auburn and do a lot less damage. I can live with a stained pillowcase, its my shirts I'm cringing over.

spidermom
April 7th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I used the Punky brand last spring (magenta). The color gradually faded away with every wash. It was faintly pink to between three to four months after application, especially the ends. I loved it. It was like conditioner and made my hair feel very smooth and silky.

Aleria
April 7th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I use special effects, with some added to my conditioner. If I CO and don't use shampoo, my hair actually gets darker rather than fading 0.o I haven't had any problems with it coming out on pillows, even when wet. If you shampoo, lots comes out at once.

I don't think the dye itself is damaging, but I bleached mine so it's hard to say.

dollface
April 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
i have used manic panic for many years now, on unbleached hair they can give a nice highlight of color that comes out in the sun but it may not be visible in indoor light. depending on your hair color they can be quite vibrant, i have medium brown hair and their darker reds, blues, and purples give my natural brown roots color that lasts through a few washes.

they are not damaging since they are a veggie dye (thanks for noting this apynip ^^), they can act like a deep conditioner and my hair always feels softer and fuller after i use them. if you want the most vibrant color you can get then you should let the color sit on your hair for at least 2 hours, i normally do this when i'm at home cleaning house and i never have issues with it. i also recommend applying heat using a blowdryer since it will help set the color.

when you want to remove the color you can use a clarifying shampoo and if the color is still there i have had success with dishwashing soap.

depending on how often you shampoo and wet your hair manic panic can last a long time, i've been able to make it last 3 months at most but that was with minimal washing.

dollface
April 8th, 2011, 06:48 PM
I had a question about temporary dyes like manic panic too. I saw someone with blond hair and fading blue. Not a good look. I'm going to use Adore. I want to know if I could do a bottle of Blue & Blue BlueBlack or BlueBlack with Purple on it or a Wild Cherry without color stripping my hair again. I figured a Blackish Green might be pushing it. Its pretty much a medium to dark auburn. I want to switch the colors and maybe use a brown over the purple while its fading before trying the red again. My hair has some damage and since it is darker colors I want except for the red, is this doable without color stripping?

i had leftover purple when i dyed my hair a few days ago and manic panic vampire red covered the purple and even colored the 2 inches of brown roots that i had growing in, it also made my hair softer but that's mainly because half of my hair is bleached ;) i hope you have good results and i would suggest staying away from the dark greens, i haven't had good results with them on natural hair and sometimes they fade to look like a moldy greenish-grey.

MonaLisa
April 8th, 2011, 06:53 PM
thank you sooo much for sharing this!:cool: