PDA

View Full Version : Hair Things That Make You *CRINGE*

Pages : [1] 2

Scarlet_Heart
April 6th, 2011, 07:14 PM
What are some of the things that you have seen or heard people do with their hair that makes you go *yeeeeeek*?

Mine is: I had a friend in college who told me when she finds a hair with a split end, she likes to pull it apart all the way up to the follicle. :bigeyes:

Then I saw her do it! shudder:

elbow chic
April 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
ugh, why does she do that? Shudder.

Mine is backcombing. Ewww. I don't even like to rub a finger over a braid bump the wrong direction, let alone back-comb it. I have to leave the room if I see someone else doing it.

That's not as horrible as the split-end girl though. haha

AnqeIicDemise
April 6th, 2011, 07:21 PM
What are some of the things that you have seen or heard people do with their hair that makes you go *yeeeeeek*?

Mine is: I had a friend in college who told me when she finds a hair with a split end, she likes to pull it apart all the way up to the follicle. :bigeyes:

Is her name Karen, by any chance? had a friend from middle school who did this too. Then she would complain and wonder why her hair resembled a lion's mane and mine was shinier.

Really?

-shudder-

Mine are the Mercel irons-- curling AND flattening. Hair shouldn't smoke or sizzle like that just for the sake of a curl or lack of one. -shudder-

excentricat
April 6th, 2011, 07:25 PM
Confession time. I've pulled my splits apart too. It was long before LHC or knowing much about hair. Its that same satisfaction as peeling a sunburn or picking a scab. Yes it's gross and bad, but I know there are others out there who do it too.

wvgemini
April 6th, 2011, 07:27 PM

Um ... I've done this before :o BUT! It was with a shed hair that had a split on it. So nothing still attached!

One of mine is the flat iron kiosk people. Not so much the irons themselves (I'm still guilty of using one to slick out my fringe), but how flipping PUSHY they are:bigeyes:

LisaMonster
April 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
Back in swim class in high school, PLENTY of girls would flat-iron their wet hair. Eeeeek. I wasn't too good to my hair back then either, but I knew that I didn't want it to SIZZLE.

Now, my roommate is a bleach platinum blonde who fries and straightens every day. It doesn't really make me -cringe-, per se, but you can definitely tell that her hair is not too happy with her.

Also, I noticed sitting in class the other day, a whole damn group of girls with bunches of hairs at their hairline broken off at like 1"-2" from heatstyling. That one did make me cringe.

But if that's what they want, that's okay with me :)

Fingolphin
April 6th, 2011, 07:38 PM
When people rip a brush through their hair, especially when it is wet!

selderon
April 6th, 2011, 07:51 PM
When a person (usually a woman) has completely fried hair and keeps demanding more and more damaging processes.

Another one that creeps me out is women with blindingly obvious regrowth. Particularly brunettes with two inches of dark regrowth above their platinum bleached tresses. *whimper* Just color it all!

TakeAPotatoChip
April 6th, 2011, 08:04 PM
When people on youtube warn viewers that they *must* use a heat protectant- otherwise they're just doing damage to their hair. :C There's no magical serum that makes your hair immune to the actual effects of high temperature. It might make your hair look better overall, but you're still putting the heat to you hair. C'mon.

GlassWidow
April 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Another one that creeps me out is women with blindingly obvious regrowth. Particularly brunettes with two inches of dark regrowth above their platinum bleached tresses. *whimper* Just color it all!

There was a blogger I was following for a while who had hair like that. Allegedly, this look is intentional in some people! *shudder* If it's intention, at least make it so that the line of demarcation is not quite so crisp!

What made me cringe was seeing a cordless curling iron/brush that heats using butane. eep!

wvgemini
April 6th, 2011, 08:32 PM
What made me cringe was seeing a cordless curling iron/brush that heats using butane. eep!

Oh my. That sounds kinda scary! And possibly explosive.

StarryNight
April 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Watching my friend rip a comb through her wet waist length beautiful hair. I can't watch her do it any more, it makes me want to cry. She doesn't even care about the damage. T.T

valrhona
April 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM
People who use rubberbands to hold back a ponytail. I really want to suggest a better alternative.

telegraph64
April 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM
There was a lady who had shoulder length hair, who took a comb out of her pocket after wind tangled her hair, and violently ripped through it, so I could hear the awful *riiiip rip rip riiiiip crunch* from over 15 feet away. I haven't the slightest idea how she even got her hair to the shoulders, treating it like that! Not to mention it looked very painful, as she was tearing many hairs out of her scalp with the comb. The poor dear... :scared:

HoneyJubilee
April 6th, 2011, 08:57 PM

Those are scary! I thought they were a neat idea for travel when I thought they were battery powered, but hair + hairspray + butane torch can't possibly be a good idea.

krissykins
April 6th, 2011, 08:59 PM
This isn't really about hair, but when people stretch out elastic hair ties, that bothers me. shudder:

But I think even worse is when they buy into common myths, like trimming your hair every six weeks will make it grow. :rolleyes:

RecklessCharlie
April 6th, 2011, 09:20 PM
That backcombing/beehive from hell/straight and raggy at the ends...thing that some people seem to think looks good. It just looks so unhealthy and, well, bad!

hs_atreides
April 6th, 2011, 09:28 PM
Backcombing itself doesn't really bother me, BUT the backcombed look with overly razored straggley ends bugs me!

CurlyCreature
April 6th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Yes! Hair teasing!! And also when somebody is wearing clip in extensions that show, or baaaad roots that show ;)

MissEarlGrey
April 6th, 2011, 09:37 PM
My friend backcombs her hair all the time and it's really obvious, she's got broken hairs at the root. Awful.

I agree wholeheartedly with ripping through wet hair with a brush, my roommate does this all the time; it makes me CRINGE.

AnqeIicDemise
April 6th, 2011, 09:42 PM
Oh my. That sounds kinda scary! And possibly explosive.
I have never heard of those, but .. -cringe-

And here I thought Mercel irons were worse because they are made of steel and warmed up in a small oven.

BlueCanary
April 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Butane curling irons. Haven't thought of those in years. I actually used to have one back in the day. It was kind of cool, but yeah.

I hate seeing people comb their hair wet.

And I hate seeing burnt out permed bleached hair. Makes me want to say, "Bless your heart."

Nae
April 6th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Oh boy, I just saw my aunt the other day and she noticed a curling iron/ brush looking contraption she had place on her bathroom counter and she picked it up and told me. This thing is the greatest thing in the world!!! You should try it sometime. I really love my hair when I use it.

I said, "Oh that is nice" then I backed away from the evil looking contraption slowly, thinking how happy I was that my hair was safely put up in a neat updo so it couldn't get anywhere near that thing. I don't care if she uses it on her hair but the thought of using it on mine was definately cringe worthy.

Dragon
April 6th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Hair adds, where they pile their hair on top of their head to wash.

MissManda
April 6th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I think the uber-volumized (at the crown) styles with layers and razored ends look rather odd. All the teasing, spraying, and razoring involved make me cringe. I don't know how people put up with caring for that every single day, but if it makes them happy, that's fine with me.

Another thing that makes me cringe is seeing other long-haired people rubbing a towel on their hair to get it to dry faster. :bigeyes:

monsterna
April 6th, 2011, 10:58 PM
I hate seeing people comb their hair wet.

I do this. :) I don't rip through it. It glides through effortlessly with the help of a coney conditioner, so it's not cringe worthy when done right. And with a wide tooth, seamless comb, heh.

Anyway, I also cringe at the bleached white look, especially when it's long but the top just looks so broken and haggard. Straightening is something i cringe at now. I won't back comb anymore, but my husband does, haha. I don't mind that. I think it looks good (think younger Rod Stewart and Noel Fielding).

MissManda
April 6th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Oh, I just remembered another one!

I cringe when I hear people mention that they use shampoo and no conditioner, especially if they say how they lather twice.

sakuramoon08
April 6th, 2011, 11:21 PM
There was this girl in my class who teased her hair everyday so that it looked like a birds nest, and god knows what else she did to it... one day I happened to look up and I saw a piece of her hair fall off!!!!shudder: Like a big chunk!!!! That was terrfying!!!! I hate curling irons too... and hairspray... I only use that for dance, i've got no other choice.

Signe
April 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM
lol ALL of the things in this thread make me cringe!

heidi.maryke
April 6th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Long haired people who have raggedy ends that are terribly damaged :s why bother having long hair when it looks so erghhh. My friend is guilty of this but I don't have the heart to tell her..

CurlyCreature
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with ripping through wet hair with a brush, my roommate does this all the time; it makes me CRINGE.

Ugh and the noise it makes! "Grrrripppp"
Ah! my old room mate did this too... I've begged her to use a wide tooth comb because she has curly hair like me, only thinner. But she said she likes the brush because it "straightens" her hair :/ whatever. I was naive once too...

fluffybunny
April 7th, 2011, 01:24 AM
My mom and grandma both washed their hair in the kitchen sink, all bent over to get their head under the tap. It wasn't so bad for the hair, but just the awkwardness of it, and the water running from the head across the face is cringe-worthy.

Fethenwen
April 7th, 2011, 02:17 AM
This just thread is just so funny, so typical LHC! :p

I saw once one of my friends -rip- a hairbrush through her hair, aaaaah the noise! It always looks so violent when they do that. I was very close to start lecturing her on how to properly brush hair that time.

Eolan
April 7th, 2011, 02:24 AM
I had a friend who sometimes flat ironed her hair with her clothes iron. Yeah. I personally don't have a problem with what ever people do to their hair, as it is theirs. If they ruin their hair and at the same time want it to be long and healthy, I might say something, otherwise no. But flat ironing with a clothes iron seems stupid in so many ways. Doesn't those irons get really hot, I mean REALLY hot!? What if she had caught fire? :scared:

Dragon
April 7th, 2011, 02:29 AM
I had a friend who sometimes flat ironed her hair with her clothes iron. Yeah. I personally don't have a problem with what ever people do to their hair, as it is theirs. If they ruin their hair and at the same time want it to be long and healthy, I might say something, otherwise no. But flat ironing with a clothes iron seems stupid in so many ways. Doesn't those irons get really hot, I mean REALLY hot!? What if she had caught fire? :scared:

I've had a friend years ago do it twice to my hair and he singed it the second time :( I had to go to school that day with bad smelling hair.

Eolan
April 7th, 2011, 02:32 AM
I've had a friend years ago do it twice to my hair and he singed it the second time :( I had to go to school that day with bad smelling hair.

Awww. Poor Dragon. :( Have a cookie. :cookie: You were young and foolish. All is well now. ;) :p

Sweetie
April 7th, 2011, 02:47 AM
....I agree with every thing mentioned here, but in particular:
- brushing wet hair (and this is one of the main reasons why I've stopped going to the hairdresser) and the noise this makes.....eeeeep!
- smoking hair under hair straightening iron - once I saw a friend of mine at her wedding, she had to "tidy up" her hairdo, and the hairdresser was literally burning her hair, that were smoking and frying - and I was like "eeeeeeek":guns:

Bucatini
April 7th, 2011, 05:07 AM
They used to sell a rechargeable rotating hair brush in the early 2000's-- I remember cutting one out of my friend's BSL hair.... we ended up using kitchen shears! I'm laughing while I CRINGE!

terpentyna
April 7th, 2011, 05:45 AM
- straighteners and curling irons
- using hairspray a lot
- repeated chemical dyes (especially when someone has a gorgeous head of long auburn or golden blonde hair and they fry it away...)
- combing wet with a little tiny comb (my friend does this and then whines about the breakage.)
- backcombing

Theobroma
April 7th, 2011, 06:35 AM
It wasn't so bad for the hair, but just the awkwardness of it, and the water running from the head across the face is cringe-worthy.

Seriously, how is that cringeworthy? I've never washed my hair any other way (though I use the bathroom basin and not the kitchen sink). It isn't awkward in the least and I don't get water in my face either. I've rarely lived anywhere that had a shower rather than a bathtub, and even when I did I never liked the feel of wet hair plastered to my back. (Though not to the extent of cringing at it. ;) )

chicken
April 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Other people who tell me what is good for my hair... like wearing it down all time (I almost never do it), use shampoos, conditioners and sprays with lots of silicone, getting layers, getting it shortened and so on...

luxepiggy
April 7th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Those small round brushes. I'm unreasonably skittish around them, like they might jump into my hair and create a huge, irredeemably tangled disaster on my head if I get too close. I had an unfortunate encounter with one as a child. Brush: 1, little piggy's hair: 0 (>(oo)<)`

hina87
April 7th, 2011, 07:47 AM
I agree with all the above comments..all those points are cringe worthy.. I have a confession to make too.. I was one of those ppl once but that was before I joined LHC. My hair was very dark (jet black-Asian hair..), it was upto my waist all the way from middle school till high school.
Some of the wrong ways of taking care of my hair that I religiously followed were (Yikes!!!)..LHC members pls. do not banish me for this..hehe
1. Washing hair almost everyday with really hot water..thinking it would really clean my hair..(What was i thinking?)
2. Stopped oiling my hair; I somehow made myself believe that coconut oil was for (FOB'S)--sorry for lack of better term..
3. Using Head and Shoulders regularly as a shampoo..(I did not know the itchiness and dandruff were from the above actions)
4. brushing wet hair with the plastic brushes
5. Straightening, curling with no heat protectant.. (on the highest setting too)
*** I finally realized all my mistakes in college and had a major chop..
I am sure all the readers are disgusted by now..but i don't do those anymore... Now I recently graduated and on a journey to get accepted to a professional school and grow my BSL length hair to waist healthily..

Chetanlaiho
April 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Several things:

- Teasing (which is unfortunate because I'm into a style called Gyaru where everyone and their pet teases their hair, really badly D=)
- Ripping through (wet) hair with a brush (I accompanied a friend to her first time at a salon, and the hairdresser kept going with really hard short strokes, from the top to the bottom thus creating so many more tangles *cringe*)
- Seeing people pile their hair on top of their head when washing it
- People not using conditioner but using really 'bad' shampoo (although I did this myself for the longest time, I cringe when I think of it now xD)
- Really bad bleach/dye damage

And what is more annoying then cringe worthy, crappy hair advice. I was watching this (pretty terrible) make-over show, and the girl had pretty long hair and said she used coconut oil (which made me go yay xD) but then the stylist told her to use silicon products instead *shiver*. Or people thinking that they can 'repair' their hair, or that teasing and heat won't damage their hair if they use this super special amazing product >_>

Ugh, tl;dr, sorry ^^;

PiroskaCicu
April 7th, 2011, 08:13 AM
I had a friend in high school, who had beautiful, waist length, wavy hair. She always wore it in a long braid and it looked so good, and whenever she wore it down people were always amazed! I was even jealous because it was so gorgeous.

Then...she discovered a straightener. Ever since then her hair has been fried, destroyed, singed, burned, ugh..... she even dyed it darker and then added bleached blonde highlights. I was really sad.It was extremely damaged.
What made me cringe was watching her straighten her damp, long hair. It ALWAYS sizzled. *shudder*

pepperminttea
April 7th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I go swimming with my father a couple of mornings a week. When he combs out his hair afterwards, I can hear the snapping noises; lots of them. It makes me shudder, but he keeps his hair short in a typical 'short back and sides' cut, so it doesn't really matter for his hair, since it'll just get trimmed off. :)

RitaCeleste
April 7th, 2011, 08:23 AM
I can't think of a single thing that you can do to hair that makes me cringe except go so blond it breaks off. I turned my hair to elastic once trying get real blond without a toner. Sometimes the lengths people go to caring for their hair make me cringe. I like my hair. I like it long. Somethings and some lengths are just too far for me to go though.

Ishje
April 7th, 2011, 08:24 AM
last week I sat in the car, and a lady in the car next to me was twisting her hair and then put it in her mouth to chew on the ends.
I really did not get that XD

jackiesjottings
April 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Stray hairs in the basin or bath or anywhere really :(( I don't know why and it doesn't happen with hairs attached to a person but if I see one in a basin I cringe.

Mirsha
April 7th, 2011, 08:51 AM
LOL, oh I'm still guilty of a LOT of these!

I brush my hair with a nubbie brush when wet, don't always use conditioner, lather shampoo twice, recently bleached parts of my hair, prefer silicon products over oil yadaya yadaya :p

I had a curler that I used for way longer than prescribed, why? my hair just wont curl. I remember needing at least a minute before a lock of hair would be curled and stay that way for longer than 5 minutes.. lol.

It makes me cringe when people give unsolicited advice about hair.

selderon
April 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I remember needing at least a minute before a lock of hair would be curled and stay that way for longer than 5 minutes.. lol.

*faints*

I thought it took me way too long to curl my hair! By the time I was done, I was usually ravenous and I'd wasted an hour plus turning myself into a deranged sheep. :p I can't imagine spending a full 60 seconds on one curl.

ilovejimmy
April 7th, 2011, 10:29 AM
im guilty of alot but the one thing that really makes me cringe is when i see girls spray hair spray on their hair and then wrap it around a curling iron :shocked:OMG! thats so terrible that truly makes me cringe.

Paladin
April 7th, 2011, 10:36 AM
I remember back in high school when I grew my hair out for the first time... I was in the latter parts of the Awkward Stage and a lot of my hair was curving out from the side of my head because it didn't have enough weight/length to lay down yet. I got frustrated and had it chemically straightened, which didn't help either.

I still cringe when I think about that. Now when my hair gets long again I HOPE there is some waviness to it... little did I know back then.

monsterna
April 7th, 2011, 10:49 AM
im guilty of alot but the one thing that really makes me cringe is when i see girls spray hair spray on their hair and then wrap it around a curling iron :shocked:OMG! thats so terrible that truly makes me cringe.

My mom used to do this every damn day. Horrible. And then just yank the brush through it to try to poof it afterward (shorter hair).

Her hair is fried now, and very thin. She is 55 but still. She prefers to wear wigs now and not deal with it.

Chamy
April 7th, 2011, 10:52 AM
When people rip a brush through their hair and you can hear the hairs brake. And when people use hairspray or tease their hair. Those things really make me cringe. :o

wvgemini
April 7th, 2011, 10:59 AM

I'll do ya one better! I used to wrap my hair around the curling iron and then spray it. While it was on the iron. Sizzle ...

Here's one semi-cringe related. I went over to the mall for lunch today and saw a gaggle of high school girls walking around. I swear they were like clones:disgust: Every single one of them had the same hair! between shoulder and apl, bleach/highlights/streaky, fried straight. And I seriously do not know how they get it THAT straight, lol. It was a little bizzare.

owlathena
April 7th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Sometimes when I'm eating I'll accidentally swallow a hair thats still attached to my head. Then I have to pull it up out of my throat. *yeeeeeeeek* Does that happen to anyone else or am I just a really dumb eater?

squee
April 7th, 2011, 11:08 AM
that odd...curling hair dryer wind tunnel tube hair thing (I will find a vid later) I forgot what it is called. But but...watching it made me sad

and backcombing.

for the shampoo thing, no condish....
I only shampoo (bars), no condish (well rarely, makes my hair sad and greasy if done to much)
depending on the persons hair, it can be much better to only shampoo :)

MoonlightShadow
April 7th, 2011, 11:19 AM
umm...mine would have to be when my sister flat irons her hair almost every day and i hear the crackling, frying noise from the flat iron....then smell it afterwards....i can usually smell it down the hall

MoonlightShadow
April 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Sometimes when I'm eating I'll accidentally swallow a hair thats still attached to my head. Then I have to pull it up out of my throat. *yeeeeeeeek* Does that happen to anyone else or am I just a really dumb eater?
reading that did make me cringe a little lol. im curious....how does that feel? :eek:

Hiriel
April 7th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I'm not patient enough to be truly gentle when brushing my hair, but some of the girls I see in the gym changing rooms seem to actually be waging war on their hair. I mean, they're not brushing the hair when it's wet and not bothering to be gentle. No. They're actually hitting their hair with the brush, as if they were beating dust out of a carpet, and then you hear the ripping when the brush inevitably gets stuck. The sound freaks me out worse than nails on a blackboard.

owlathena
April 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM
reading that did make me cringe a little lol. im curious....how does that feel? :eek:

It feels gross! Like a sharp tickle in my throat. Pulling it out sometimes makes me gag. I always feel really dumb when it happens. Especially if someone else is there to witnesses it.

BrightEyes7
April 7th, 2011, 11:45 AM
They used to sell a rechargeable rotating hair brush in the early 2000's-- I remember cutting one out of my friend's BSL hair.... we ended up using kitchen shears! I'm laughing while I CRINGE!

I had one... I begged my mom to get it. I used it once, got it stuck. Left it dangling and stuck for a couple hours until my sister got home and could help me. Then it gathers dust for a few years until I tossed it. That is definately cringe-worthy!

Those small round brushes. I'm unreasonably skittish around them, like they might jump into my hair and create a huge, irredeemably tangled disaster on my head if I get too close. I had an unfortunate encounter with one as a child. Brush: 1, little piggy's hair: 0 (>(oo)<)`

I think we all did. My mom used it (she had a pixie) and I took it and wrapped my hair around it... couldn't get it out for the life of me. It ended up being cut off! I shudder any time there is one near.

that odd...curling hair dryer wind tunnel tube hair thing (I will find a vid later) I forgot what it is called. But but...watching it made me sad

and backcombing.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=44216

I had started a thread about that thing... the general consensus was it was a hair blender. CRINGE!

The thing that really makes me cringe is my SIL. DBF's little sister (16) is into that really teased up hair look, but she keeps telling me she wants long hair. I told her to stop teasing so much if she wants long hair. She will tease it up and leave it that way. Even if she washes it she doesn't detangle, she just leaves it and teases it more when it dries. She has a really bad receding hair line because of it. All the hairs on her hairline are broken off at the root! And she had bangs and bleached them white, multiple applications of bleach in the same day!! She has black hair naturally.

I gave her all the most basic advise, the main one, don't tangle your hair on purpose. And she still asks me how to get long hair like mine... :shrug: I just don't get it.

Nightshade
April 7th, 2011, 11:49 AM
When people henna without strandtesting, hate the color and then ask how to get it out.

JJetson
April 7th, 2011, 11:58 AM
When women tease their hair in any way, it makes me cringe....especially by taking the ends in between forefinger and thumb and sliding them up the length of their hair. Also when people use too much gnarly hairspray...ones that don't protect your hair at all.

MaryRose
April 7th, 2011, 12:17 PM
A friend of mine uses rubberbands in both of her daughters hair. She is careful to remove them but still manages to break the hair. I asked her if she was aware of the damage and she says yes but can't find anything else to hold their hair up in a pony without slipping loose. Make me cringe when I see the broken hair wrapped around the band.

spidermom
April 7th, 2011, 12:56 PM
People who declare long hair goals but keep trashing their hair because they can't settle on a color.

I used to sit in class bored and pull apart any split ends I could find, but never all the way up to the follicle. They'd always break off before then. Luckily I usually kept my hair pretty short, so I couldn't see the ends most of my life.

Intransigentia
April 7th, 2011, 01:29 PM

It happens to me too sometimes. It's the most incredibly gagtastic feeling ever.

For my part, most hair abuse requires effort, so the only abuse my own hair has suffered on a regular basis is the ripping through it wet with a plastic nubby brush.

I'm pretty tolerand of what other people do to their hair; the one thing that makes me cringe is the sensation of damaged/protein-depleted hair getting wet and turning elasticky. That bothered me even when I wasn't a LHCer. Fortunately it hasn't been an issue since I gave up on the platinum streaks.

Naphthylamine
April 7th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Seeing someone tugging her/his hair that got stuck under the straps of their heavy backpacks

Becky Safari
April 7th, 2011, 01:44 PM
I see SOOO many girls that find split ends and break the ends off themselves. I don't understand how they don't see that it just creates another split end further up the hair shaft by ripping it like that...

Also tearing plastic brushes through their hair, brazilian straightening treatments, monthly dye jobs, things like that

TakeAPotatoChip
April 7th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Also those small, long, completely metal clips that are for metal roller-holding but get so unbelievably caught in hair
http://www.sallybeauty.com/single-prong-clips/SLNCAR20,default,pd.html?cm_vc=SEARCH
They look similar to those. :< Seeing them makes my scalp hurt from how hard those were to get out. I didn't even sleep in them!

moonlight
April 7th, 2011, 02:27 PM

OMG!!! I have recurring nightmares about this....the hair just goes on and on....

Now I'm shuddering

Nightshade
April 7th, 2011, 02:42 PM
OMG!!! I have recurring nightmares about this....the hair just goes on and on....

Now I'm shuddering

I'd take that over seeing the cat smacking it's lips, seeing a hair and pulling it out. Poor cat gets a body floss and gags and gags and gags until I get it all out :puke:

Intransigentia
April 7th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Body floss! Eeeew! so apt.

longcurlygirl<3
April 7th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I hate it when people have nice hair and like put their bags on the back with the hair stuck! it just terrifies me :( and when some folks just brush hair agrresively so it looks thicker?
*shudder*:mad:

Seharia
April 7th, 2011, 03:18 PM
The two people in my class who got the keratin treatment. The bottom inches of their hair look polka-dotted they've got so many split ends and the top of there hair also has so much breakage its frightening. To each her own I guess but I would never intentionally do that to my hair.

squee
April 7th, 2011, 04:50 PM

very unpleasant, sharp-stringy thing. ICK! I HATE HATE HATE IT!

CathyEarnshaw
April 7th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Not too many things make me cringe relating to hair. To each his own. One thing that really bothers me is dirty hair or greasy hair or seeing dandruff flakes in the hair.
I know some people here never use shampoo but I just couldn't bring myself to do that.

baaaad_kitty
April 12th, 2011, 03:00 AM
1. super greasy, smelly hair. Sometimes people leave their hair so greasy you can smell it when they pass by! I DIE.
2. Those girls with stick straight hair. I walk past them and can see that the ends have gone brassy/white-ish because of the splits! Makes me want to volunteer to S&D for them
3. super lightened/bleached hair. I see this everywhere here, and Asian hair is BLACK. The results are dead, limp, lifeless hair. And the older women who want to dress up their hair and tease it, go out with shades, expecting paparazzi. Grr.

Firefox7275
April 12th, 2011, 03:38 AM
Seeing a redhead guy with dreads, the bottom half was brown and the top half marmalade. I really don't think he dyed it. :tmi:

alwayssmiling
April 12th, 2011, 04:23 AM
This thread has made me chuckle. I did actually gag reading about hair swallowing. My cringeworthy moments are nowhere near so cringeworthy, but its when I go to the salon and see the HD tugging the brush through someones hair whilst putting the hairdryer right onto the hair to dry it - you can see the steam coming off it, then running the flat irons over it to "finish it off".

nazzooyzo
April 12th, 2011, 04:57 AM
when i was really young i used to suck on my hair:disgust:! then someone said i'd get a hairball stuck in my stomach so stopped...

Izae
April 12th, 2011, 06:13 AM
Back in swim class in high school, PLENTY of girls would flat-iron their wet hair. Eeeeek. I wasn't too good to my hair back then either, but I knew that I didn't want it to SIZZLE.

That made me cringe just reading it!

I used to rip my hairbrush through my hair after swimming, never tried to use any conditioner or anything to detangle it, just ripped it right through.
Sometimes the plastic bristles actually got pulled out instead:eek:

Hile
April 12th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Extremely greasy hair is the one thing that never fails to make me cringe.

Today I finally had the last lecture for a course where there was a guy with really greasy hair (I mean it was stiff with his sebum) and big yellowy flakes:puke: And for unknown reasons he would always take the seat right in front of me no matter where I chose to sit. On the bright side I have never spent this little money at our cafeteria since starting my studies!

Shoga
April 12th, 2011, 08:33 AM
when i was really young i used to suck on my hair:disgust:! then someone said i'd get a hairball stuck in my stomach so stopped...
Lol!! I did the same thing when I was little but only when it was wet. :o I stopped because my mom told me that I'd get worms. :disgust:

paleogirl
April 12th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hair chewing or playing with it and putting in your mouth without chewing it.

And now since I am a part of LHC - riding in the car with the windows down and my hair blowing in the breeze. I used to love the way it feels, but now know that this is what caused a majority of my splits.:(

firicia
April 12th, 2011, 10:10 AM
All the money I spent at the salon trying to get red hair/grow it very very long. Funny part is doing all that I never ended up with long hair or a red colour that would still be the red I want after a week:p

I love how simple things are now for me:D

firicia
April 12th, 2011, 10:14 AM
The two people in my class who got the keratin treatment. The bottom inches of their hair look polka-dotted they've got so many split ends and the top of there hair also has so much breakage its frightening. To each her own I guess but I would never intentionally do that to my hair.

What's a keratin treatment, hehe? :o

Dragon
April 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
Walking past a salon and seeing heaps of hair on the floor. I can’t help but to wonder every time I see that if the person really did want to lose that much hair.

Alexannee10
April 12th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I don't like flat and curling iron, but what "eeeeek" me the most, it's the smoke and the noise coming from spray net when heated. Brrr.

kwaniesiam
April 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM
The only things that make me cringe are bad dye jobs and scene hair.

|Xei
April 15th, 2011, 09:23 PM
I couldn't care less if I saw someone damaging their own hair with razors, high volume bleach and the like. The most I can do is tell them about the damage their causing. If they won't listen, or they deny the fact that they're destroying their hair, then really, it's nothing I should worry about...

However...

I cannot stand hair being so incredibly greasy and dirty that I can smell it from a distance away, and the hair looks like it has been dunked into a bottle of oil.

AspenSong
April 15th, 2011, 10:00 PM
The only thing that makes me cringe truly, is all the over-bleached hair I see on especially teenage girls it seems. Like the two toned, white blonde over black hair. And they flat iron it to death and it looks so sad and damaged. And then they'll be ripping a brush through it and ugh....just sad to me.

Syaoransbear
April 15th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I don't care what people do to their own hair, I'm sure there are a billion things I do wrong about things I'm ignorant about simply because I don't care about the subject. It just bothers me when mothers rip a comb through their daughter's long hair while the little girl is crying and screaming from the pain. Just cut it off instead of torturing your daughter already. If you can't maintain it, don't have it.

Another thing that really bothers me is when my hair dresser straightens my hair, and I can see the steam rising from my hair even though my hair is dry. Now I walk out of the salon with wet hair.

nellreno
April 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM
A butane iron? I'd be too afraid to put it close to my head in case it explodes.

----------------------------------------

I guess I do a lot of things 'wrong' then. The majority of my length is dyed, damaged and splitting, that's why I'm here trying to grow it out. Good to know that my hair is cringe-worthy.

Raiscake
April 16th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I cringe when I see people rub their hair between their hands. Meep! Don't do that!

Runzel
April 16th, 2011, 01:51 AM

This happened to me the other day, though with a shed hair.

I still shudder remembering it. I just kept pulling and pulling...shudder:

PrincessBob
April 16th, 2011, 02:41 AM
When people on youtube warn viewers that they *must* use a heat protectant- otherwise they're just doing damage to their hair. :C There's no magical serum that makes your hair immune to the actual effects of high temperature. It might make your hair look better overall, but you're still putting the heat to you hair. C'mon.

Wallflower: Perfect Girl Evolution (ヤマトナデシコ七変化) for the win! /hi jack

fluffybunny
April 16th, 2011, 03:12 AM
Seriously, how is that cringeworthy? I've never washed my hair any other way (though I use the bathroom basin and not the kitchen sink). It isn't awkward in the least and I don't get water in my face either. I've rarely lived anywhere that had a shower rather than a bathtub, and even when I did I never liked the feel of wet hair plastered to my back. (Though not to the extent of cringing at it. ;) )

Gosh, it's hard to explain. I guess it's that when the water is hitting the back of your head first, or nape of the neck, then it's pushing the hair the wrong way (like a cat being brushed backward) and the water running down around the chin and getting your neck wet is just icky to me. Whereas in a shower or a salon basin, at least the water is going away from your face. Plus I just don't like having the faucet head where I bang into it when I try to straighten up, which I'm constantly wanting to do to relieve the discomfort of being bent over and having the water dribbling around my neck. It's a trapped feeling.

I agree though, I don't like that wet hair against the back feeling after a shower either. I very quickly put it up in a towel.

livz
April 16th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I cringe at the normals: backcombing and BRUSHING THROUGH DRY CURLY HAIR! Ugh!

I brush wet, SUPER carefully. The only way I can brush the curls.

BUT, not sure if this is grosser than swallowing attached hair, but on a rare occasion I will have to pull one of my hairs out of my dog's...behind. I'm not positive, but I think they get attached to the chewed end of her nylabone (kinda like a velcro effect) and then she somehow ends up swallowing them. Sometimes it is in the middle of the tiny poop and she gets a "dangler."

Gross enough for ya? :D Luckily I'm pretty non-grossed out by all genres of dog problems since I'm the one who has to take care of them, including expressing certain glands. :bigeyes: TMI machine=me.

Tiina
April 16th, 2011, 06:22 AM
Gosh, it's hard to explain. I guess it's that when the water is hitting the back of your head first, or nape of the neck, then it's pushing the hair the wrong way (like a cat being brushed backward) and the water running down around the chin and getting your neck wet is just icky to me. Whereas in a shower or a salon basin, at least the water is going away from your face. Plus I just don't like having the faucet head where I bang into it when I try to straighten up, which I'm constantly wanting to do to relieve the discomfort of being bent over and having the water dribbling around my neck. It's a trapped feeling.

I agree though, I don't like that wet hair against the back feeling after a shower either. I very quickly put it up in a towel.

I often wash my hair that way, yet I never get water on my face. :shrug: It's all about finding the right angle and tap height. I absolutely hate the way it feels when water touches my face unexpectedly or even worse, my ears. Doesn't help that I use cold water. :shudder: I definitely wouldn't wash this way if I got water in places other than my hair.

I cringe at hair that has been bleached and straightened to a point where there is a perma-halo of broken hairs and the hair has lost all its shine and life. I mean, I understand that sometimes people want to change their appearance but damaging their hair to a point where the damage just jumps out at innocent bystanders is way too much and guaranteed to look worse than whatever the hair was like originally.

Some months ago I saw a guy at a plant-shop who had dreads but who hadn't locked his roots in a while and was balding. It seemed like the balding was due to the weight of the dreads literally ripping his hair out of his scalp. It looked awful.

Scarlet_Heart
April 16th, 2011, 07:10 AM
The only things that make me cringe are bad dye jobs and scene hair.

lol :lol: I'm a substitute teacher/high school teacher and I see waaayyy more than my share of "scene hair." And I quite agree with you on this one. Ugh... youth.

DakarNick
April 16th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I was sitting in my truck in a shopping center parking lot close to an Aveda salon while waiting for a friend to meet me. I saw a woman with calf length hair walk in. I cringed thinking she may get it chopped off. I didn't see her walk out. I like to think it was only a trim!

wavyR
April 16th, 2011, 08:05 AM
rubber bands in your hair. i've had to use them on occasion and i equate the feeling to running your nails across a chalkboard. *shudders*

when i have a nail that's cracked/split and it get's caught in my hair. ugh.

dry combing curly hair. my mother does it all the time.

RitaPG
April 16th, 2011, 08:46 AM
People ripping a brush through their hair. You can hear the hair snapping every time shudder:

racrane
April 16th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I know I get sad looking at really damaged hair. I think every person's hair has the potential to look beautiful and when people abuse it, it makes me sad. I would never have the guts to say anything to even good friends who like to dye their hair/abuse it all the time but I still think it to myself.

monsterna
April 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
My coworker has blunt, APL hair. She always wears it in a ponytail and I can see so many broken hairs all over her head above the ponytail. I know she wishes her hair wasn't so "frizzy" as she says, but she's busy with kids and life that she doesn't, understandably, make huge conscious efforts to make it better. But she says she straightens it every single day, to "help" with the frizziness. I can't help but wonder if it wasn't frizzy in the past, but just curlier or wavier than she wanted, and I don't know what products she uses and their ingredients, but I believe straightening every day has definitely exacerbated the problem. Now it's just a never ending cycle of thinking the straightener helps with a problem that it's making worse. =\ Wish I could help her help herself, but like I said she complains about it but is just too busy to probably actually care to try to treat it better, and straightening is faster in the mornings.

Lostsoule77
April 16th, 2011, 02:28 PM
There are a few hair things that make me cringe. One is seeing someone with gorgeous long hair have it all cut off. Another is dying or straightening hair to the damage point. I think the worst one for me is seeing people with long hair that is badly damaged after a certain point. I'm one of those "quality over quantity" kind of people when it comes to hair. I completely get wanting long(er) hair, but don't get having it when it looks fried. *Don't mean to offend anybody, not that I've seen anyone with hair like that on here. Just my opinion.*

NotInPortland
April 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM
WET TO DRY HAIR STRAIGHTENERS!!!! It's like you can hear them...frying their hair *shudder* Why would you ever do that to your hair??!

:bigeyes:

delsh
April 16th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I definitely agree, NotInPortland! I don't mind what anyone does with their own hair, but the hissing sound of a wet to dry straightener just makes me cringe...kind of like the sound of a fork scraping a dish, or the drilling sounds at the dentist :laugh:

Toadstool
April 16th, 2011, 04:45 PM

Now I'm shuddering
I have the same nightmares!!

boudica
April 16th, 2011, 04:46 PM
This is so sad. You may not want to read this.

I had a housemate whom I dearly loved, who used to be a surfer chick (her term). She was a natural blonde as a teenager.

She showed me pictures of herself as a beachy teenager where her hair was bleached by the sun and the top layer looked like cotton - honest beach hair. While we all know that sun and surf aren't particularly good for your hair, coming by it honestly is somehow more okay in my heart. Not sure I can explain it. She was happy and the hair was lovely.

Problem is that now she's a dark brunette in her forties. In order to approximate her old teenage color, she does an expensive 3 process color treatment that looks terrible, and she can only afford it once every four months or so. Her roots are almost black and the whole thing looks okay for a couple of weeks, but then it grows out with hard roots.

A few months ago, one of her friends paid for her to go to an upscale salon in Beverly hills where an expensive colorist did a pretty nice job on her hair. It was darker blond, but had nice highlights and she looked really upscale and tasteful. It would have grown out a little gentler, and she would have been able to afford root touchups that would keep her roots at bay.

My housemate hated it.

She went back and complained that she didn't have her white streaks that she'd asked for. The hairdresses put foils in at an angle near the sides of her face, so there were triangles of the old color near her face, then fried peroxided hanks of hair coming off the triangles.

And her scalp got burned and scabbed up under the triangles.

So there was her face, with big one-inch scabs around it, then triangles then frizzy fried hair.

And then it grew out before the scabs disappeared entirely.

It was so incredibly sad. We've had long talks about her hair, but she really wants to have the beachy look and it's worth it for her to have it one month out of every four and look terrible for the remaining three. Her hair is between shoulder and APL and has big wonderful curls. With such harsh bleachings everything below her ears is just frizz.

Sometimes I really wish I had a magic wand. I'd fix her hair for her.

Copasetic
April 16th, 2011, 08:09 PM
I actually don't really care what other people do with their hair. The only thing that makes me slightly cringe is seeing someone with teased hair. Whenever I see teased hair, I think about what it would be like to de-tangle it :( So much work!

Wanderer09
April 16th, 2011, 09:21 PM
The only thing that makes me cringe these days is the sound of hair snapping while combing...it's like I can hear it crying :p

Jcv-Shelley
April 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM
Sometimes I would ask to comb/brush my mother's hair and the hair would just seem to whistle if I go at a semi-quick pace. Oh and her scalp is really tender and I always see bits of hair on her back that have already fallen off. (probally since she would go next to a fan and brush her wet, curly hair for hours for it to dry straight. And when she grew older she would straighten everyday!) I got her to stop with the heating tools though thankfully. :cheese:

et--cetera
April 16th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I watched one of my apatment mates straighten her thick hair every day when it really didn't need it (in my opinion). I'm surprised her hair is as healthy as it is.

jesis
April 16th, 2011, 11:11 PM

I hate this feeling too! You aren't alone!

Dark Queen
April 17th, 2011, 03:36 PM
One of my friends regularly rips a brush through her hair right after showering. She also refuses to use any conditioner/moisturizer. She admits to ripping out hairs, breakage, shedding, etc, yet somehow she has very thick (I'd guess between a ii and iii), soft APL hair. I really don't get it :shrug:.

MaiCarInMtl
May 12th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I cringe at the sight of hair elastics with chunks ripped of hair wrapped around the elastic! I used to see friends take these out of their hair as a kid, not even clean it off and put it back in - I never understood how the hair got so tangled up in an elastic and how they managed to get it out in the first place. I've occasionally noticed this with my mother-in-law - makes me cringe even more. Maybe its a curly hair thing?

I once had to rip through my hair with a brush to the point where a male friend of mine was cringing and told me he felt horrible for what I was doing to my hair. In my defense, I had no choice (that I could see). We were gone on a camping trip to the Netherlands and stayed just across the street from the North Sea. We decided to walk to the nearest village and, not knowing anything about saltwater and the wind, I stupidly went out without covering my hair... Well, a few hours later, I realized my hair was a tangled mess from the heavy winds and coated in seasalt with a sprinkling of sand! I think it took me 30 minutes to rip through my hair and be able to just put it in a ponytail. Had I known what I know now, I would've found a washroom, done some kind of oiling followed by an ACV rinse and some heavy conditioning. Oh well! Lesson learned! I can still see his face - the guy looked almost sick!

jojo
May 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM
ugh, why does she do that? Shudder.

Mine is backcombing. Ewww. I don't even like to rub a finger over a braid bump the wrong direction, let alone back-comb it. I have to leave the room if I see someone else doing it.

That's not as horrible as the split-end girl though. haha
mine is the same, its like chalk down a blackboard to me and also rubbing a finger in the wrong direction EEEEEEEEKKKKK! ive even pulling a face writing it!

In2wishin
May 12th, 2011, 10:47 AM
When one of my cats ingests a hair of mine. It usually comes out in stages so I have to snip the :poop: so it doesn't get dragged around the house shudder:

buttercupmcgee
May 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Watching the girls at the gym tie a super tight ponytail and then yank the two halves of the pony apart repeatedly to tighten it as they work out. Just imagining that band scraping against the hairs the wrong way, plus the really tight/receding hairline nature of the pony.....SHUDDER!

racrane
May 12th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Hmn, I reread this thread thinking of my mom. She does everything to damage her hair and then complains about it. She has naturally curly hair and she blow dries while wet, straightens it (takes forever because she's so curly) and then she curls it all over again! And then hair sprays it to death. I don't understand it! Days she lets it air dry it's so beautiful. I've told her again and again (even before I was on LHC) that what she's doing is terrible, but she keeps doing it. :( She also dyes her hair too.

HuggyBear
May 12th, 2011, 12:06 PM
Teasing/backcombing...I cannot stand to watch someone do this. I watch a lot of hairstyling vids on Youtube. As soon as I see someone start to tease their hair, I have to turn it off. :shudder:

MagicAndMayhem
May 12th, 2011, 12:19 PM
My mother insisits on bleaching her hair so it's practically white. She naturally has black hair and I don't think she has any grays, so I don't see what's the point. She always tells me to bleach my dark henna hair as well. She applied peroxide to my hair starting when I was 10 in my sleep. Go figure.

JuliaDancer
May 12th, 2011, 12:47 PM
My little sister got her hair permed, and the hair dresser must have screwed up, because a few days later, the top of her head suddenly had a bunch of little 1/2 inch to 1 inch stubs where the hairs had broken off! I've never permed my hair (or dyed it for that matter), but that was enough to make sure I never will...

Gwen
May 12th, 2011, 01:01 PM
When one of my cats ingests a hair of mine. It usually comes out in stages so I have to snip the :poop: so it doesn't get dragged around the house shudder:

LOL! Oh no! Sorry, I couldn't help but giggle because I have two cats as well. Raven (my male cat) likes to climb on my pillow in the morning and try to eat my hair. I immediatley push him away though.

Here's my cringe-worthy thing: When I was younger (around 20 or 21) I had waist-long virgin blonde hair. I couldn't afford a straightener at the time, so I'd use my mom's clothes iron. But I never got any damage! I guess I was taking really good care of my hair back then without even realizing it. Thinking back, I can't believe I did that *eeek!* I also used to dye my hair black (from the box). I didn't know how to do just my roots when the time came to do them, so I'd just re-dye my whole head. *yikes!*

Can't wait for May 25th when I get rid of this bleach and go back to my original golden/ashy blonde!!

Gwen.

burns_erin
May 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM
My mother insisits on bleaching her hair so it's practically white. She naturally has black hair and I don't think she has any grays, so I don't see what's the point. She always tells me to bleach my dark henna hair as well. She applied peroxide to my hair starting when I was 10 in my sleep. Go figure.

Ugh, my mother used to do that too when I was a kid. Of course she is naturally blonde, but she would do the peroxide or lemon juice in the sun in the summer :/

Eden75
May 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Dreds. They are the most disgusting things on the planet. They smell and have things in them when they get cut off.

Just say no to dreds.

Signe
May 12th, 2011, 02:05 PM
i dunno whose dreads you're talking about, but they definitely are not all like that.

RitaPG
May 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
i dunno whose dreads you're talking about, but they definitely are not all like that.
My sentiments precisely

PrincessBob
May 12th, 2011, 02:36 PM
I had to deal with that on Monday! What a nightmare. Then I had to give him a bath, and I used the old shampoo bar (touch of mink-- it's supposed to be pet safe) that I had stopped using-- because I was allergic to it!

I'm not the smartest crayon in the box, shall we say? (I love mixed metaphors!) Now I'm reacting to my kitty's fur.

sweetestpoison
May 12th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Oh god.. when my hair is down and it snags on something.. and i hear the strand snap off. A little piece of my soul dies whenever this happens :violin:

AnaGeorgette
May 12th, 2011, 02:56 PM
A few people have mentioned obvious roots here, as a natural blonde growing out black hair remember not to forget some girls have roots showing because they want to stop dying to get healthier hair!

The only thing that makes me cringe is a girl at my uni with hip-length virgin hair. She always wears it down and when she sits in front of me in class I see her leaning against it squashed between her and the chair, moving around and it rubs on the wood and gets caught and frayed....GAH!. I sit there watching the ends break off for 4 hours and I just want to free it myself XD She has a lot of split ends and a very fine hemline, when you have hair that long is it so hard to just drape it OVER the back of the chair if you want to wear it down??? If my hair could grow that long I would definitely at least pay attention to something as easy to fix as that. O.O

hockeygirl256
May 12th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Velcro rollers, ahhh!!!!

Spring
May 12th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I haven't read all the pages, so I apologize if this was already mentioned. But I love love love watching youtube videos of the Indians oiling, washing, massaging and styling their hair, but I cringe when they start scrubbing their length like you scrub a stain out of a shirt...

they must have the most durable strands on the planet :D

Dark Queen
May 12th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I haven't read all the pages, so I apologize if this was already mentioned. But I love love love watching youtube videos of the Indians oiling, washing, massaging and styling their hair, but I cringe when they start scrubbing their length like you scrub a stain out of a shirt...

they must have the most durable strands on the planet :D

I LOVE those videos! Such a guilty pleasure to sit around watching them, glad it's not just me :o

Spring
May 12th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I LOVE those videos! Such a guilty pleasure to sit around watching them, glad it's not just me :o

I know!! I really like the videos by Tomkots.

but the scrubbing :o

CaityBear
May 12th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Ripping through wet hair! Or even just tangled dry hair...my friend has hip/tailbone length THICK coarse hair and you can never get all the knots out but I was combing it gently and she says "You can rip through it. It doesn't bother me" I was terrified! I told her NO!!! Her hair is too beautiful to rip through.

And backcombing. When somebody backcombs so much that their hair stands straight out....that is REALLY terrifying...

I've never seen somebody flat iron wet hair before but the idea is cringe worthy...

Hmm, what else...well, a lot of things said already. lol

Dark Queen
May 12th, 2011, 04:05 PM
I know!! I really like the videos by Tomkots.

but the scrubbing :o

Yes, those ladies have such lovely hair though. It's amazing how durable it is; if I did that to my hair, it would fall out! :bigeyes:

Ripping through wet hair! Or even just tangled dry hair...my friend has hip/tailbone length THICK coarse hair and you can never get all the knots out but I was combing it gently and she says "You can rip through it. It doesn't bother me" I was terrified! I told her NO!!! Her hair is too beautiful to rip through.

And backcombing. When somebody backcombs so much that their hair stands straight out....that is REALLY terrifying...

I've never seen somebody flat iron wet hair before but the idea is cringe worthy...

Hmm, what else...well, a lot of things said already. lol

Confession: when I was in high school, I used to flat iron my wet hair on a regular basis. It was really nasty and I shouldn't have done it, but I guess I really wanted straight hair at the time. It steamed up and the hair dried out. I had to put lots of leave in conditioners just to keep it manageable. I cringe now looking back on it, and thankfully I've grown it out to a healthy condition. Now, I don't let any heating tools near my hair :o

christine1989
May 12th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Velcro rollers, ahhh!!!!

Yes! I had a great set of big velcro rollers that I used when my hair was bob length. Recently I had the (horrible) idea of trying the out again on my BSL+/waist- length hair and one got stuck! I don't mean a little stuck, I mean hopelessly stuck! My mom spent nearly a half hour getting it out and I had to just sit there and listen to hairs snapping :mad:.

Quezie
May 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
rubber bands in your hair. i've had to use them on occasion and i equate the feeling to running your nails across a chalkboard. *shudders*

when i have a nail that's cracked/split and it get's caught in my hair. ugh.

dry combing curly hair. my mother does it all the time.

Ahh, the nail thing!
Especially if you're in the shower, washing your hair, and you feel that snag.

I cringe whenever I feel a snag, period. ):

Today I was on the bus, and whoever was sitting behind me was leaning forward for some reason, and kept catching my hair somehow. I don't understand how others aren't conscious that they're invading a strangers personal space like this.

I also can't stand this one commercial where it shows a lady washing her hair and thoroughly lathering the ends.

wendy51
May 12th, 2011, 07:37 PM
A friend in highschool used to pass her hair in iron (the one you're supposed to use for clothes).

I know right

Arya
May 12th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I used to iron my hair with an iron and towel...I actually found it less damaging and more straightening with fewer passes than an flat iron. *shrug*

summerjade
May 12th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I have seen people with wet hair tearing through it with a brush!

MagicAndMayhem
May 12th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Dreds. They are the most disgusting things on the planet. They smell and have things in them when they get cut off.

Just say no to dreds.

http://www.eurynome.fi/amorphis2009/Tomi_Joutsen_2009-38.jpg

:heart:

ALYSSA
May 12th, 2011, 08:13 PM
wow i have quite a few not that my hair is perfect or anything it surely isnt! but i CANNOT stand teasing/backcombing ugh! also people ripping through their hair when wet... or when i hear people give wr0ong hair advice like washing length and never using conditioner! or that dying your hair makes it healthy and gets rid of dead ends ..it really breaks my heart

ALYSSA
May 12th, 2011, 08:15 PM
yes! i second that dreds are a no no...to me at least

ALYSSA
May 12th, 2011, 08:19 PM
i just thought of one more haha ..when my hair gets snagged on the back of a chair and i can hear/feel it being pulled and ripped out! its very upsetting especially when it takes a good few strands and just knowing it gave me split ends pisses me off. it really ruins my mood. or when people accidentaly pull on my hair. i actually have gotten into a few arguements with people because of this

perkidanman
May 12th, 2011, 09:20 PM
I was at the bank today and the teller had what I thought was a little tread in her hair. I told her about it and she asked me to remove it. So I grab the bit and start to gently pull away when i realize it's melted to her hair...because it was her hair. She'd straightened it so much when it broke off it melted to another strand :disbelief

After that I couldn't stop looking at all the other bits of melty broken pieces in her hair...

Panth
May 13th, 2011, 04:53 AM
A few people have mentioned obvious roots here, as a natural blonde growing out black hair remember not to forget some girls have roots showing because they want to stop dying to get healthier hair!

The only thing that makes me cringe is a girl at my uni with hip-length virgin hair. She always wears it down and when she sits in front of me in class I see her leaning against it squashed between her and the chair, moving around and it rubs on the wood and gets caught and frayed....GAH!. I sit there watching the ends break off for 4 hours and I just want to free it myself XD She has a lot of split ends and a very fine hemline, when you have hair that long is it so hard to just drape it OVER the back of the chair if you want to wear it down??? If my hair could grow that long I would definitely at least pay attention to something as easy to fix as that. O.O

From experience: it's probably because if she puts it over the back of the chair, as soon as she turns her head left/right or leans forward to concentrate it all slips off the chair back anyway. At hip you haven't got enough length for the weight of hair behind the chair to be more than the weight of hair in front of the chair when you lean forwards ... gravity is a powerful mistress. :p

Anyway, for lots of people the reason to have long hair is to wear it down - either to show it off or because they simply like the feeling. I'd still be doing that except I've gotta get a job and lab + loose hair is not a good plan... So, I make the most of having to wear it up - I get the opportunity to grow past TB, which for me is impossible when wearing it loose all the time.

KatiSasha
May 13th, 2011, 07:39 AM
When I had acrylic nails and one of them would lift a little at the base and I would run my hand through my hair and one of the hairs would get caught between my natural nail and acrylic...Ugh... no more...

mistik
May 13th, 2011, 07:54 AM

I've done that... In front of others once too. Very gross and quite embarrassing!

mistik
May 13th, 2011, 08:10 AM
I hate when I wear my hair loose and it gets caught in the door of the truck when I am in a hurry and get in. It hurts when it catches a couple of hairs. I also hate when you do a strand test and the hair turns out okay and appears to not be a problem so you do the whole thing and suffer damage you were not expecting.

IMHO, dreads are gross and backcombing is crazy!

I also hate when people ask why I don't cut my hair and donate it to Locks of Love. I always have to ask why, wondering if they think my hair is ugly. The answer is a favorable one, so I can't get angry, but I like my hair long and don't want to cut it off!

Wavelin
May 13th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Maybe not cringe, but I think it's sad when I see wavy- or curly-haired people, that has brushed their hair when dry. They end up with a frizz-ball, when they could look so good!

JamieLeigh
May 13th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Just thinking about the massive teasing epidemic of the 80s makes me shudder. I was born in 1980, and my mom kept a lot of altitude in both my bangs and her own. Ugh!!! :p

Also, there is a cold chill that runs down my spine when I see people using heat to straighten their hair...and they leave it on for a full minute. Ever trying leaving a clothes iron on a shirt for a full minute? Or your hand on a stove eye for a full minute? How is this in any way good?? :eek:

buttercupmcgee
May 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM
When women blow dry their hair in temperate weather, only to then put it in a bun all day.

buttercupmcgee
May 13th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Maybe not cringe, but I think it's sad when I see wavy- or curly-haired people, that has brushed their hair when dry. They end up with a frizz-ball, when they could look so good!

Yes! My close friend does this. She has Julia Roberts type ringlets, and insists on beating them into a fuzz ball that she then wears in a ponytail! The first time I saw her caught without heat tools on a camping trip I almost died with how nice her natural hair is. WHYYYY?

terrylillyd
May 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM
When I see someone with already fried hair from heat use a flat iron while the hair is sizzling

dragonchickx
May 13th, 2011, 11:32 AM
I had a lady pull me in at a mall to try out a hair straightener. I was like.. uhhh okay. So she took the straightener to my already straight hair and it was steaming and I was like. Why is it steaming and she was like, because it uses steam from your hair to straighten it because its healthier. I was like, uhhh isnt that drying out my hair making it more prone to breakage. She said I had a lot of split ends and needed a haircut. How rude lol. She had like no hair and it didnt look good either..never again letting someone play with my hair.

CrystalStar
May 13th, 2011, 12:53 PM
When people suck/chew on their hair hands down! At lower school a girl always sucked her hair and tried to get people to braid it for her.. I never did! :laugh:

FarmGirl
May 13th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Definitely heat products (curling irons, flat irons, etc), back combing, etc

But I think my main one would be using regular rubber bands as ponytail holders or braid end-ers.. OMG *shudder* how can you not just pull out 1928509385 pieces of hair everytime you use those??

A very close-second to rubber bands would be hair elastics with metal. Those are evil -_-

Scarlet_Heart
May 13th, 2011, 02:24 PM
I was born in 1980, and my mom kept a lot of altitude in both my bangs and her own. Ugh!!! :p

Ahhh ha ha ha... I'm so with you on this. I was born in '84 and my mother did the same to me.

bluesnowflake
May 13th, 2011, 03:05 PM
The sound of a flatiron sizzling makes me cringe... hair should not be cooked! Also, backcombing makes me shudder, mostly because it looks like a nightmare and a half to get out.

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 04:37 PM
This one girl in my math class, she straightens her hair twice a day, beaches it, dyes it every other ( on a good streak) week, pulls her split ends apart, rips her hair out with a fine tooth comb, teases it. and she curls it too.:agape:

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I sadly must admit I was one of those people until about 4 years ago, it would get all frizzy, i would get frustrated and twist it into a bun.

washurei
May 14th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Oh god.. when my hair is down and it snags on something.. and i hear the strand snap off. A little piece of my soul dies whenever this happens :violin:

I know how you feel i got mine stuck in the car door on a really windy day when a friend was picking me up and the damage almost made me cry.

Dark Queen
May 14th, 2011, 06:24 PM
This one girl in my math class, she straightens her hair twice a day, beaches it, dyes it every other ( on a good streak) week, pulls her split ends apart, rips her hair out with a fine tooth comb, teases it. and she curls it too.:agape:

Wow! How is she not bald yet?

jenhow
May 14th, 2011, 06:41 PM
So many things make me cringe - it's weird though I never used to think about what people did to their hair until I joined LHC! Now when I see someone using heat on their hair or teasing it I just wanna cry!

Arya
May 14th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Teased hair. I think it' totally disgusting. Why did you just make a nasty tangly matty knot out of your lovely hair? All I can think of is how much rodents would love to make your hairdo its home. When I see matted hair, I think of lice and nits and fungus and rodents. Stop doing that! There are other ways to get volume! Ew.

jojo
May 14th, 2011, 07:30 PM
Ive another which happened to me yesterday. I had sock curled my hair (points to avatar) for my birthday and had gone out for a meal and drink with my family. I was just washing my hands, when this woman who I know but thats besides the point came out of the toilet and started bouncing my hair in her hands EUGH! like she had just been to the toilet. I hate people touching my hair without permission at the best of times but unwashed toilet hands.

She never even washed her hands and the next time I saw her she was licking the crisp crumbs off her hand urgh!

I am very anal (no pun meant) when it comes to hygiene and it really turned my stomach!

NotInPortland
May 14th, 2011, 07:53 PM

Just say no to dreds.

Sorry but no that's just not true at all. Sure if someone gets dreads or lets them form naturally and then doesn't bother washing them and looking after them then they're going to get gross obviously, but 95% of people with dreads wash them, regularly. They're perfectly clean. I've never had dreads or anything but that stereotype that people with dreads are dirty and never bother washing their hair really annoys me.

Latte Lady
May 14th, 2011, 08:18 PM
When people yank a comb or brush through wet hair. I gasp and tell them that they ought to be nice to their hair. I also am horrified when I sit with my mother as she is getting her hair done at the salon and see women get flat ironed. I can't turn my eyes away in some sort of sick horrified wonder as I watch the steam/smoke rise from their hair. There is no way anyone can convince me that is in any way 'good' for ones hair!

jojo
May 15th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Sorry but no that's just not true at all. Sure if someone gets dreads or lets them form naturally and then doesn't bother washing them and looking after them then they're going to get gross obviously, but 95% of people with dreads wash them, regularly. They're perfectly clean. I've never had dreads or anything but that stereotype that people with dreads are dirty and never bother washing their hair really annoys me.

oh my I would not have them myself but yeah theres some really good ones. My mate has had them for 7 years and he washes his and they look super.

HintOfMint
May 15th, 2011, 11:52 AM
When I can see those gross, yellow, fat flakes sitting in a person's hair, I cringe. But I've really only noticed those huge flakes on someone I already knew wasn't the cleanest person in the world. He's a bit of a smelly dude.

Yes I know that sometimes someone can have a condition and all the shampoo in the world won't get rid of it and it often has nothing to do with cleanliness. But in his case, I can't help but recoil a bit.

hazelnut
May 15th, 2011, 06:37 PM
I was in the girl's bathroom at my high school at the same time as this girl a grade below me. She had long, beautiful, curly hair. And as she was standing in front of the mirror she took out a brush (not a nice BBB, but a rip-your-hair-out-of-your-head brush) and she proceeded to rip through her nice curly hair with the brush. I swear I cringed just watching her do it.

Zesty
May 15th, 2011, 07:01 PM
This just reminds me of my friend's mom... She has SUPER thin, fine hair, but she's really brutal with it. One time she pulled out a brush and started brushing her hair so hard that I could hear it ripping and literally SEE the little broken parts flying off her head. I wasn't even that hair-conscious then and it was still painful to watch.

jojo
May 15th, 2011, 08:47 PM
I was in the girl's bathroom at my high school at the same time as this girl a grade below me. She had long, beautiful, curly hair. And as she was standing in front of the mirror she took out a brush (not a nice BBB, but a rip-your-hair-out-of-your-head brush) and she proceeded to rip through her nice curly hair with the brush. I swear I cringed just watching her do it.

I cringed reading it eeek!

burns_erin
May 16th, 2011, 07:37 AM
When women blow dry their hair in temperate weather, only to then put it in a bun all day.

Well, but what is your idea of temperate weather, because even with only 60% humidity, my hair would not be dried. I personally don't blow dry, but the flip side is occasionally I have developed minor fungal infections from never having a dry scalp.

anemix1005
May 16th, 2011, 08:45 AM
A housemate puts on like half a bottle of hair gel everyday! and he soesn't style his hayr or anything after that, so all he has is like a helmet of sticked-together-possibly-going-to-break hair. My friends who sleep near his room can even hear him squeezing his bottle every morning !

hs_atreides
May 16th, 2011, 08:49 AM
When I can see those gross, yellow, fat flakes sitting in a person's hair, I cringe. But I've really only noticed those huge flakes on someone I already knew wasn't the cleanest person in the world. He's a bit of a smelly dude.

Yes I know that sometimes someone can have a condition and all the shampoo in the world won't get rid of it and it often has nothing to do with cleanliness. But in his case, I can't help but recoil a bit.

Yeah, I cringe a bit too. My DS has always struggled with dandruff and it turned into the same yellow, waxy dense flakes. We had to get hardcore with the T-Gel for a few washes and now it's completely gone. Cleanliness or scalp issue aside....ick.

hs_atreides
May 16th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Little girls that want to keep their long but are really too young to care for it. It looks so cute when they have it long, but if they fight the parent about keeping it tangle free and it becomes matted I think it's just better to keep it a bit shorter. I have seen parents try to rip thru tangles. It's a sad sight.

Hailes
May 16th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Ooops I do this... Is it really bad for your hair? I have such thick hair that when I wash it especially if its been in a really curly style or if I have been swiming and have washed my hair, I literally grab my hair from where its loose from the neck and brush it until all lugs etc are out? Oh sorry bet I am making you cringe reading this! But any tips on how to stop this from happening etc please help!

RitaPG
May 16th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Ooops I do this... Is it really bad for your hair? I have such thick hair that when I wash it especially if its been in a really curly style or if I have been swiming and have washed my hair, I literally grab my hair from where its loose from the neck and brush it until all lugs etc are out? Oh sorry bet I am making you cringe reading this! But any tips on how to stop this from happening etc please help!
Instead of brushing wet hair, I find it easier to comb it while in the shower, with conditioner on. Conditioner gives a better slip and it's easier to comb the tangles out that way.
Just my :twocents: hope that helps ^^

Hailes
May 16th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I don't have dreads but as long as they kept in good condition I really like them! Think they are soo cool, I'd love to have them but not forever!So no point really they take too long to grow! I know some people who have amazing dreads, and all in diff styles, you can get dreads in all different thickness etc I know one girl who has amazing dreads, they are quite thin and they have a little like crimped curl,to them (hard to explain)nd I know they are clean you can tell when dreads are dirty! Lol

Although I did see a old man once who had just one matted dreadlock it made me feel sick, like all his hair just was matted in this one big clump at the back of his head! I wouldn't even class it as a dreadlock it was so bad.I was sat behind him at a festival and had to move as I couldn't sit with that in front of me it had all bits in it and everything ....ewww making me cringe thinking of it now!!

Hailes
May 16th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Instead of brushing wet hair, I find it easier to comb it while in the shower, with conditioner on. Conditioner gives a better slip and it's easier to comb the tangles out that way.
Just my :twocents: hope that helps ^^
I have a shower comb too! I will deff have to start doing this, its just it seemed easier with a brush it :/ but if it is better for my hair...... Thanks for your tip! :)

RitaPG
May 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM
I have a shower comb too! I will deff have to start doing this, its just it seemed easier with a brush it :/ but if it is better for my hair...... Thanks for your tip! :)
I find it waaaay easier to comb tangles out when I have conditioner on it :D
Honestly, I brush my hair sometimes too :o usually in the morning before leaving the house. Just never touch it when it's wet.

islandboo
May 16th, 2011, 09:45 AM
The thought of brushing wet hair makes me cringe, too.

I brush, but only dry hair. I also comb my hair out while conditioner is on it in the shower - finger comb first, then wide toothed. I'll comb again after towel drying - some people can't but my hair is fine and straight enough that I don't really pull on it at all, then wait for it to dry all the way before messing with it again. I usually brush while making updos or right before bed when I am braiding it for sleep.

tolly
May 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
fine tooth comb for relaxers then leaving it in for an hour, when the instructions clearly state max 22mins.... and overlapping on previously processed hair, then roughly combing wet over processed relaxed hair, sometimes more hair is loss in the process than is left on my head, worst past of this is that I kept going for this poor technique for more than a decade smh

FoxRain
May 16th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Although I did see a old man once who had just one matted dreadlock it made me feel sick, like all his hair just was matted in this one big clump at the back of his head! I wouldn't even class it as a dreadlock it was so bad.I was sat behind him at a festival and had to move as I couldn't sit with that in front of me it had all bits in it and everything ....ewww making me cringe thinking of it now!!

You're making me cringe just talking about it shudder:

Dry, damaged, breakable ends. Just the look of them makes me cringe. I've had them often so maybe that's why.
I always laugh to myself, though, when someone says "You just need this magical shampoo! Then your ends will heal!"

Dragon
May 16th, 2011, 11:16 PM
When every hair on end of the hemline and on the end of the layers is split. I have only ever seen this once. I guess all the colouring, perming that she didn’t like so she killed her curls by straightening them with a hair straightner every day and whatever else she does to her hair wouldent have helped.

beccababesx
May 17th, 2011, 02:30 AM
When I'm getting ready for a night out with my friends and they pull a straightener/flat iron over a really thin strand of hair ohhh sooo slowlyyy... and then stop it on the ends. I can almost hear the hair screaming!! When I ask her why she holds it like that she says "because my ends do this weird flippy thing, it's so ugly.". Makes me shudder just thinking about it! Haha.

Becky9679
May 17th, 2011, 06:11 AM
When I forget that I'm wearing a load of big chunky spiky rings (which I do fairly often) ... and run my hand through my hair. Inevitably results in at least a couple of hairs being snagged on the rings though it's rare that I actually pull any out - as soon as I feel it snagging I remember and carefully detangle my hair from the rings. I'm trying very hard to break this habit.

Peanutter
May 17th, 2011, 06:45 AM
I used to work with a girl who would find split ends, grab the hair an inch or two above the end and *YANK* off the split end. Her hair was brittle enough that she could actually remove it that way, but I can only imagine it created just a shorter split end. *shudder*

Dorothy
May 17th, 2011, 07:50 AM
Unsolicited hair advice coming out of my own mouth.... Especially in the form of "you should...." Cringe.

I googled "scene hair" because I'm old and out of touch and was advised:

"Change your hair colour as often as you can to make your scene hair stand out from the rest!"

Seriously.
http://myemohairstyles.com/scene-hair.html

There's also a lovely video of a woman backcombing, a mention of "protection sprays and solutions" for straightening, and a recommendation to "chop your hair into layers". Grab the popcorn and prepare to cringe.

Peanutter
May 17th, 2011, 08:36 AM

"Change your hair colour as often as you can to make your scene hair stand out from the rest!"

Seriously.

There's also a lovely video of a woman backcombing, a mention of "protection sprays and solutions" for straightening, and a recommendation to "chop your hair into layers". Grab the popcorn and prepare to cringe.

Yeah, I do not understand how you can do all of this to your hair! I remember in my high school, one of the goths was always changing her hair (crazy colors and crazy styles). After a while, she was wearing wigs, and we thought it was easier and less damaging until a rival goth ripped off her wig during lunch and we all saw inch long raggedy hair. It had all broken off right next to her scalp and the ends were all multicolored and grey!

maborosi
May 17th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have a friend whose hair is...I want to say close to hip-length? Yeah, it's very pretty. But she straightens it every single day.

Erghhhhhhh why, your hair is so pretty! And it's very fine, too. I hope it doesn't get too messed up because of that :(

~maborosi~

Madora
May 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
1 Tangle Teezers
2 Teased, backcombed hair
3 Straggly, poor looking ends
4 Hair coated with hairspray
5 Hair pulled to tightly back in a bun/ponytail/braid
6 Bleached/dyed hair
7 Pixie cuts
8 layers
9 hair killed by negligence
10 rubber bands:(

Arya
May 17th, 2011, 09:57 AM
1 Tangle Teezers
6 Bleached/dyed hair
7 Pixie cuts
8 layers

So....everything that's not exactly what you have makes you cringe?

Dragon
May 17th, 2011, 10:18 PM
I used to work with a girl who would find split ends, grab the hair an inch or two above the end and *YANK* off the split end. Her hair was brittle enough that she could actually remove it that way, but I can only imagine it created just a shorter split end. *shudder*

I use to do that and still do sometimes if I don’t have scissors nearby because the split end really annoys me. I am working on stopping that and have only ripped out about one or two over the last month so I am getting better at stopping it. I also try to rip it off closer to the split so I don’t lose as much length. Sorry, I’m probably making you cringe :D

Dragon
May 17th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Another thing that makes me cringe is when my hair gets court in my spiky bracelet and rips some hair out. Also when it gets caught in glasses frames.

Dragon
May 17th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I forgot to say also when birds get there feet caught in it and when they poo in it.

TaraTilly
May 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
I think we've all experienced it as children lice. :( was never a fun time

sharicat
May 18th, 2011, 04:31 AM
I read in a magazine this week to back comb my hair using a toothbrush for volume for updos. Eeeek!

I also cringe when I see people with pony tails separate their hair into 2 handfuls and yank it apart to tighten the pony tail. :eek:

Barbie Diamond
May 18th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Dirty hand people touching their long hair (or mine, ugh!).

Peanutter
May 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM
I use to do that and still do sometimes if I don’t have scissors nearby because the split end really annoys me. I am working on stopping that and have only ripped out about one or two over the last month so I am getting better at stopping it. I also try to rip it off closer to the split so I don’t lose as much length. Sorry, I’m probably making you cringe :D

I understand why you do it, but I always keep nail clippers in my purse and in a split end emergency, I used to clip the ends off. Maybe that would be better than yanking, but I don't know. I can't stand having splits anyway. That is the one good thing about the chop I did ... no splits yet :)

hyettf16
May 18th, 2011, 06:53 PM
My boyfriend has really curly hair and it's about to the mddle of his back when stretched out but he rips through knots when it's wet with sturdy brush too. it's amazing because I rarely ever find any damage in his hair and I'm jealous :)
My best friend has chin length hair that is naturally black (she has black, Indian, and some white in her) and she bleaches her bangs and dyes them neon colors every few months. Every now and then I can see pieces of hair on her shirt about 1 cm long D: I told her "No wonder it's so short!"
Also, just walking around my (predominantly black) school I see plent of edges that don't even remotely resemble the real hair in neither color nor texture. As well as plenty ge, obvious wigs.

hyettf16
May 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I mean HUGE, obvious wigs.
And i would like to add that I just plain hate seeing hair with gel. My sister uses gel and spray and NEVER cleans her comb. Lol, I'm making myself sick :P

hyettf16
May 18th, 2011, 07:07 PM
Sorry for posting so much but in the first one it says "edges" I meant to write weaves. (Stupid auto correction)

wendy51
May 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
I used to iron my hair with an iron and towel...I actually found it less damaging and more straightening with fewer passes than an flat iron. *shrug*

Except that she wasn't using a towel*
She used it directly on hair o.o i was not into hair care at that moment but even seeing her doing this made me :tmi:

Dragon
May 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I understand why you do it, but I always keep nail clippers in my purse and in a split end emergency, I used to clip the ends off. Maybe that would be better than yanking, but I don't know. I can't stand having splits anyway. That is the one good thing about the chop I did ... no splits yet :)

Great idea for a split end emergencys :)

Arya
May 18th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Except that she wasn't using a towel*
She used it directly on hair o.o i was not into hair care at that moment but even seeing her doing this made me :tmi:

Haha, well that's what I did too. Towel on the inside, iron on the outside, hair in between. I found that I could use a lower temperature, and I felt like it did 50% less damage,because I wasn't frying my hair on both sides. My hair never sizzled or steamed, and I honestly never found damage when I used it. If I had my favourite old iron, I'd still pick it over my flat iron (for the few times I do use it)

christine1989
May 18th, 2011, 10:26 PM
I was over at my friend's house and she was brushing wet hair after a shower! I ran over with a wide tooth comb as fast as my feet would carry me and proceeded to lecture her on the damage wet brushing can do. I cringe every time I see wet brushing :scared:.

Qamar
May 19th, 2011, 02:25 AM
OMG, body floss? The poor kitty!

Anivenin
May 19th, 2011, 04:28 AM

Just say no to dreds.

I've seen some pretty disgusting dreads, but I've also seen some really beautiful ones!

I was in London once and saw this woman with the coolest looking hair. She was albino, so it was that white-blonde silky stuff past her bum, and she had it dread locked. It made me seriously think about letting my hair actually dread-when I leave my hair curly for a couple of days it tends to elf-lock itself which is pretty interesting- but I like being able to finger-comb through my hair so it was a no-go.

Anivenin
May 19th, 2011, 04:33 AM
The thing that makes me cringe is that my sister has one of those instyler things (the rolling hot iron with a brush on the other side) and she will basically flatten then back comb her hair with this in order to achieve a "scene" look. Yikes. She also dyed her strawberry blonde hair pitch black :( Now, I have dark hair and love all sorts of colors...but it just made me sad seeing such a pretty color be covered. Gah.

celebriangel
May 19th, 2011, 04:43 AM
When people have greasy, stringy, unwashed and uncombed hair. I don't mind it oily - hell, I often leave the.house wiith oiled or slightly greasy hair, but greasy and dirty are two very differwnt things. And when I go out with greasy hair I comb it and put it up. Excessively greasy hair hanging in strings is not lovely. Any kind of ripping of hair in the hairdressers, as well as steam coming off hair as it's being straightened, makes me sad.

dlinoxvostaja
May 19th, 2011, 07:47 AM
My boyfriend tears a comb through his beautiful curly hair. I did it for him gently once by kind of wriggling the comb around without pulling, but he doesn't know how to do that to the back of his head. I inwardly gasp when I see it :(

For my hair, I cringe when it gets caught in my glasses frames and when I find a tight little knot on one strand that cannot be untied. I have to cut those of, it's so sad.

Also I admit that up until a couple of days ago, I used to do the tearing of the hair at the split/white dot part. Now I just do S&D but I use nail scissors so hopefully I'll get a hair scissor soon.

Dark Queen
May 19th, 2011, 01:29 PM
My boyfriend tears a comb through his beautiful curly hair. I did it for him gently once by kind of wriggling the comb around without pulling, but he doesn't know how to do that to the back of his head. I inwardly gasp when I see it :(

For my hair, I cringe when it gets caught in my glasses frames and when I find a tight little knot on one strand that cannot be untied. I have to cut those of, it's so sad.

Also I admit that up until a couple of days ago, I used to do the tearing of the hair at the split/white dot part. Now I just do S&D but I use nail scissors so hopefully I'll get a hair scissor soon.

DH does this too, though if I'm around, I usually come over and gently brush it for him :p. Somehow despite neglecting it, he has incredibly healthy hair. He uses regular shampoos and conditioner (sulfates, cones and all), roughs up his hair in the shower, roughs it up with a towel afterwards, and yet, it still comes out perfectly soft and shiny :shrug:. It baffles me, really, LOL :)

cubedcoley
May 19th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I did not think I had anything to add, as you ladies have basically covered it all, but EEK! Look at this!

http://connect.in.com/nia-long-hairstyles/play-video-hair-in-elegant-messy-bun-megan-fox-wedding-updo-5-minutes-hair-princess-hairstyles-for-long-hair-f28bfcda10fd09e0cb3567fba06ca14c60eaf26b.html

monsterna
May 19th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I did not think I had anything to add, as you ladies have basically covered it all, but EEK! Look at this!

http://connect.in.com/nia-long-hairstyles/play-video-hair-in-elegant-messy-bun-megan-fox-wedding-updo-5-minutes-hair-princess-hairstyles-for-long-hair-f28bfcda10fd09e0cb3567fba06ca14c60eaf26b.html

I made a grossed out noise and my husband looked at me funny, haha. Oh god, that's horrible, hehe.

cubedcoley
May 19th, 2011, 07:38 PM
That's funny! I am sitting her looking at youtube videos for hair, and when I saw the picture, I thought "ooo, that looks pretty!" But, I had to stop it immediately when I saw what she was doing. It REALLY made me have a visceral "EEK!" reaction! hee hee :tmi: I wonder how many strand or strand pieces she has on her fingers when she is done. Hmm, I probably don't want to know!!! :trainwreck:

Dark Queen
May 19th, 2011, 07:44 PM
shudder:Aaaah! That made me cringe. That's a nice looking style, but I'm sure one of us can come up with a much safer way to get the look.

monsterna
May 19th, 2011, 08:16 PM
This (http://www.lysistrataproject.org/assets/eagle_handler.jpg) has so much potential to go wrong.

Nastasia
May 19th, 2011, 11:40 PM
This (http://www.lysistrataproject.org/assets/eagle_handler.jpg) has so much potential to go wrong.

Maybe, but that is an amazing photo. :thud:

lastnite
May 20th, 2011, 01:11 AM
lots of things listed also make me cringe. I didn't read through all the pages, but when I see people using curling/flat irons and the steam/smoke is coming from it, I'm like "eeeeekkk" they are burning their hair!

Sagi1982
May 20th, 2011, 01:22 AM

I'm doing that still sometimes, when I'm busy... its a bad habit. :couch:

What make me shudder is wild throwing open hair in front of a "audience". I really hate this!

Ava666
May 20th, 2011, 01:28 AM
I only read a couple pages, but ya... no thank you, maybe I'm not that nice to my hair, but there are just some things that I will NOT do to it. I was doing a photo session for a friend a couple months ago and she almost did the back combing thing, and I was instantly like umm, NO. and it wouldn't have surprised me if she was wanting to use a hot iron :(

palmikko
May 20th, 2011, 02:10 AM
When a person (usually a woman) has completely fried hair and keeps demanding more and more damaging processes.

Yes to both, except obvious regrowth doesn't bother me that much until it gets long. If it's just a couple cm then it's fine for me /shrug

I would have to agree on the picking on split ends. Never seen anyone do it myself, but just thinking of it gives me the creeps.

Ciridae
May 20th, 2011, 02:51 AM
This (http://www.lysistrataproject.org/assets/eagle_handler.jpg) has so much potential to go wrong.I almost splatterred coffee through my nose onto my keyboard. Don't really know why, but the mental image just made me want to laugh and cry at the same time. The laughter won out. :p

Chetanlaiho
May 20th, 2011, 05:49 AM

I was looking at it thinking, hey that's a cute robe braid-ish and then within one milisecond I went O_O WHAT IS SHE DOING?! xD

KatiSasha
May 20th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Unsolicited hair advice coming out of my own mouth.... Especially in the form of "you should...." Cringe.

Seriously.

Just watched it...and definitely cringe worthy. The poor girl's part in her hair is so wide already and she cannot be more than 17 years old maybe? She probably rips her hair out by combing out all that backcombing, someone stop her!

YesitsReal
May 20th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I worked with a girl who flat ironed daily and literally changed her hair color every week and a half. If I was her stylist, I'd tell her that all her hair is going to fall out eventually if she keeps doing this crap to it, but I guess her stylist just wants to get paid? :shudder:

Chetanlaiho
May 20th, 2011, 08:29 AM
A friend of mine that does pretty much everything we consider bad for hair on a weekly or daily basis, asked for my help in trying to rescue her hair.

I told her she may get away with one or two bad things but heatstyling every day, washing too often, dying it every month with or without bleach prior and teasing it just isn't going to go well together xD (she also wears clip in extensions a lot of the time, which kind of sounds like breakage to me but I'm not sure)

She said she was only going to dye it once more and then stop dying. But as you may have guessed from the new hair colour every month she changes her mind quite a bit and has decided to bleach it back to blonde xD not nescessarily cringe worthy on it's own but all of it together kind of makes me feel sorry for her hair ^^; (she's been doing all of that for years so I'm kind of surprised it's still on there xD)

sunnydays
May 20th, 2011, 11:06 AM
I actually do the bad things, i like to see where there is a white dot and then pull the end of the hair off, that is really bad i should stop, its such a nice feeling though....

Ntaark
May 20th, 2011, 11:56 AM
Teasing and excessive amounts of hairspray. My friend is getting married and I've been going with her to her hair trials and it's torture! The stylist puts hairspray in her hair then curls it before it dries and all you see is smoke everywhere.

Dragon
May 21st, 2011, 05:15 AM

Nice hair style. But it did make me cringe.

SwordWomanRiona
May 21st, 2011, 05:31 AM
Same as you all:
Backcombing
Picking on split ends (one girl at university told us once she actually does it!! Why would she do that to her hair?!:scared:)
Ripping through hair with those horrible 'stylist brushes'. That's torture shudder:
Flat-ironing / heat-curling nearly every single day
And this especially sets me cringing: seeing hair chemically dyed + permed + flat-ironed :scared:It has the consistency of straw, and is destroyed at the ends! *cringe* Poor hair!!!!

Jcv-Shelley
June 12th, 2011, 09:27 PM
1 Tangle Teezers
6 Bleached/dyed hair
7 Pixie cuts
8 layers

I never knew Tangle Teezers were that bad, I thought less tugging = less damage? :confused:

Arya
June 12th, 2011, 10:30 PM
I never knew Tangle Teezers were that bad, I thought less tugging = less damage? :confused:

It just depends on your hair. It's the best thing ever for my hair. Boar Bristle brushes shred my hair, only get through the top layer, make it greasy, and scratch up my scalp and gives me dandruff that doesn't exist otherwise. Tangle teezers make my hair shiny, detangle without shredding, and I can always find it, since it's bright pink! It's like wet brushing, it kills some people's hair, for others, it's the only way to get through it without ruining the natural texture.

twilight_faerie
June 12th, 2011, 11:10 PM
Ooh, it makes me cringe when people comb their hair so vigorously you can hear their hair snapping. Lots of hairstylists do this...mine included. :(

monsterna
June 12th, 2011, 11:17 PM
A friend of mine that does pretty much everything we consider bad for hair on a weekly or daily basis, asked for my help in trying to rescue her hair.

I told her she may get away with one or two bad things but heatstyling every day, washing too often, dying it every month with or without bleach prior and teasing it just isn't going to go well together xD (she also wears clip in extensions a lot of the time, which kind of sounds like breakage to me but I'm not sure)

She said she was only going to dye it once more and then stop dying. But as you may have guessed from the new hair colour every month she changes her mind quite a bit and has decided to bleach it back to blonde xD not nescessarily cringe worthy on it's own but all of it together kind of makes me feel sorry for her hair ^^; (she's been doing all of that for years so I'm kind of surprised it's still on there xD)

Yep. Someone I know HATES her hair in its natural, air dried state. I had her one day show me it air dried and it's like... maybe a 1c??? She was acting like it was some unruly 3c she couldn't manage or something. She straightens it every day, I see her RIPPING her plastic/plastic ball-tipped brush through it and I hear it all breaking. It's frizzy and that's why she says she flat irons it (ummm... it's also why it's frizzy! Let alone you ripping through it mercilessly!). She probably uses sulfates on her already coarse, thick hair. And now she's getting that keratin straightening thing done. I'm just like :bigeyes: because she complains to me about its frizziness and wants to do something about it. She won't lay off the heat, I'm sure, and she probably ravages her hair with the towel while drying it. I gave her the article on this site about hair damage and hopefully she'll make use of it. But she has kids, is busy/tired, and likes "quick fixes," so I'm not sure if my efforts to help her are in vain. We'll see. It's just cringe-worthy to me that she asks for my advice while she's literally ripping her hair with this brush. -.-

Una
June 13th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Most of the things in this thread make me cringe too! But, I came across something in a hair tutorial online that really made my eyes pop out in disgust...It was a 'world renowned hair stylist' backcombing with a.........HAIR STRAIGHTENER! Basically, he was holding big clumps of hair and running the hair straightener against the hair shaft toward the scalp. There was so much steam and damage. And, not to mention the end result looked like a bird's nest. He was teaching this "technique" to new hairdressers.
It was torture to watch!

Venefica
June 13th, 2011, 02:47 AM
What really make me cringe is when I see young girls with betina blond, almost white hair that is dry and lifeless because it have been bleached to within an inch of it's life. I saw a girl once, she had hair almost to her tail bone, but it was bleached, bleached and bleached again. I was thinking about how pretty this girl's hair would have been if she had treated it more kindly.

Avital88
June 13th, 2011, 02:54 AM
bleached straightend hair without shine.. the drylook is just ..uhm ..fascinating
Oh and ofcourse the perm..and blond roots showing on a fake brunette

prettykitty
June 13th, 2011, 03:59 AM
Dandruff sitting on the shoulders of people's coat *shudder*
I work with a girl who straightens daily-she got a trim, but two weeks later the ends were all white and bobbly again, ugh!

Vani1902
June 13th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Curly hair that has been tortured with a straightening iron. A lot of curly girls don't realize that they have really beautiful curls that could stand out if they only accepted them. I don't understand the obsession will stick straight hair. Why not just love and baby your curls? It's not that hard. :)
I also cringe at the thought of backcombing.
Another thing that makes me cringe is crappy hair advice.
Here is an example: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110424180128AALLldy
Haven't these people ever heard of co-washing?

Nev
June 13th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I seriously got goosebumps reading some of these :/

Kumiko033
June 13th, 2011, 04:25 AM
Girls on school make me want to eat their hair since it probably less damaging then what they're doing now. They flat-iron their hair while it's already naturally straight and even do this in their lunch break in the school-hall..they even did this on camp!
GAHHHH *explodes* not even speaking about all the produtcs they use..

Signe
June 13th, 2011, 04:55 AM
my best friend, who has the most lovely, natural, curly, bright red hair blowdrys it, straightens it, and then re-curls it with her straightening iron after every wash. cringe indeed