PDA

View Full Version : Hair Help, Please?!

trillian
April 6th, 2011, 06:06 PM
At the suggestion of my fellow fine haired friends, I am re-posting this here in hopes of some input. I desperately need some help.

I have this horrible chunk of hair directly behind one ear, that feels just disgusting. It's almost like someone took a giant chunk of wax and rubbed it all over my hair in this spot. It feels like it isn't dry, when I know it has to be. It goes all the way from the roots to the ends and it seems like it's getting larger every time I try to wash it out. It started out with a small patch about 6 days ago (about the size of a dime), and has progressively been getting larger, a little larger than a quarter..

The rest of my hair feels fine, my scalp is trucking along as usual. it doesn't itch / hurt, anything unusual.

I've been experimenting with dry shampoos recently, and until this development, I only washed about every third or fourth day, and I generally just use whatever is on sale in terms of shampoo / conditioner. I haven't changed my routine per say. I will typically alternate shampoos once a month, but I stick with brands that have worked for me in the past.

I tried clarifying shampoo - which seemed to make it worse. On the advice of a friend I tried egg whites, which I didn't think about the hot water aspect, and ended up with chunks. The same friend suggested beer, which had no effect at all (at least it didn't make it worse?) I've been thinking of trying baking soda / vinegar, which I've tried before and didn't do nice things for my hair.

I'm at my wits end! Suggestions anyone? Please?

UltraBella
April 6th, 2011, 06:12 PM
I suggest soaking that area in coconut oil from roots to ends, overnight. If it is some strange type of buildup, the oil should be able to soften it and it should come out with the pil. If it is dry the oil should be able to be absorbed. Either way, I see no reason not to try it and it's much nicer than some of the harsh things you have mentioned.

MonikaHa
April 6th, 2011, 06:14 PM
I second the coconut oil suggestion.

SpeakingEZ
April 6th, 2011, 07:09 PM
Have you considered seeing a dermatologist? Your scalp might be secreting something unusual in that area and, if you're brushing your hair, you might just be pulling the fluid down through the lock.

Another thing I'd consider (and this is just me blabbing from personal experience) is your sleeping situation. Do you sleep on the side that you're having the trouble with and is your pillow clean? Do any animals sleep in the bed with you (I woke up to a cat licking and drooling on my hair, once).

jojo
April 6th, 2011, 08:11 PM
Yes definatelly try UltraBella suggestion. Also if this area is growing slower than the rest maybe join the monistat bandwagon. Girlcat especially had great success with this.

trillian
April 8th, 2011, 06:38 PM
Thank You! My hair loves coconut oil (which I've never used before) and the grossness is gone!

UltraBella
April 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Yay !!!!! Glad to hear it :)

LisaMonster
April 9th, 2011, 01:27 AM
Point for UltraBella!

Kisa
April 9th, 2011, 01:48 AM
I have the name thing - but on the back of my head! It came when I started with CO washing without any sulfates, cones or mineral oils. So maybe it's some kind of build up. I will try coconut aswell and see if it works...

SpeakingEZ
April 9th, 2011, 02:55 AM
Yay! I'm glad it went away with something simple!