PDA

View Full Version : Why so few reviews?

TakeAPotatoChip
April 6th, 2011, 04:49 PM
I'm new hope it's ok to post. I noticed that there are 1500 reviews here, yet 35,000 users! That comes out to 1 opinion per 23 people! Why so few? :confused: It is a hair care forum so it seems like more people would be set on posting their experiences. It's probable that everyone here has a handful of memorable product experiences, whether they be good or bad ones. I read plenty of threads being posted on certain new products brands are putting out so seeing so little reviews just seems out of place. I am new like I said, but I thought if a lot LHC users would try to post one review in the reviews section then it would really improve the site. Anyone in with me?:cheer: :flowers:
Sorry if I seem pushy about this ....

Carolyn
April 6th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Actually it's never occurred to me to post a review. I've put my :twocents: worth in some threads and ranted/raved about products in my blog but never thought to do a review :shrug:

CaityBear
April 6th, 2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah...same...I just don't do reviews... but then again I'm using a lot of my own homemade products now. I don't even read reviews...

...I actually had to look for the review section...I've never been there in all the three years I've been here. haha But I am checking it out now and did post one review!!! :D I don't have too many products that I've used.

jeanniet
April 6th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Well, I've posted a review, so I'm off the hook. :D I think it probably just doesn't occur to a lot of people, especially since they may have posted experiences in threads instead. If I have an interest in a product, I usually search threads for it, but then generally I have a specific question rather than just wanting a opinion.

DTsgirl
April 6th, 2011, 05:07 PM
I guess I just never think to. I will have to start evaluating the products I use to see if the make enough of an impression to warrant a review. Most of the stuff I use in the "meh" range. Not great, not awful. I just got the Suave Professionals Humectant line and am in love, so maybe I will review that.

Laurenji
April 6th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I think a lot of people don't even know that section exists. I didn't until about a month ago when I decided to poke around the site some.

x0h_bother
April 6th, 2011, 06:24 PM
I am also a review poster and have also noticed this, not to mention how many products are used by members on here that don't exist in the reviews section. While reviews were helpful in the beginning, I'm learning that products work differently for people of different hair types, and it really is trial and experience. So I don't rely heavily on reviews anymore- my hair is unique and independent (has a mind of its own), for better or worse :)

Rocket22
April 6th, 2011, 06:52 PM
OMG I didn't even know that was there... Thank you! after I read this thread I poked around to find it.

Aud200
April 6th, 2011, 06:54 PM
OMG I didn't even know that was there... Thank you! after I read this thread I poked around to find it.
Same here!

Jenn of Pence
April 6th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Yeah, a lot of it is that people don't realize that it's there, so threads like this are a good reminder. :) I like to review products, but I don't actually buy all that many, so my contributions aren't large in number. I would like to read reviews, especially to see what people with a similar hair type think of a certain product. But it isn't quite as useful when there are only one or two reviews of even mainstream drugstore and salon brands.

Threads are, admittedly, a great way to discuss a certain product. If there were just some way to interface the two...maybe have a "product review" forum where each thread was a review of a product, or if each product in the review section that had a thread would link to it. The information is around, it's just a matter of how to efficiently access it.

Magdalene
April 6th, 2011, 08:00 PM
The review section is a bit un-userfriendly, I've left a few reviews but it feels hard to navigate (it isn't really, but it feels awkward for whatever reason)

adiapalic
April 6th, 2011, 08:10 PM
Hmm... could have sworn I wrote one about AO Honeysuckle rose....

ETA: There, wrote 2 product reviews already. :bluebiggr

Delila
April 6th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Years back when I was first learning, I did most of my board searching by using people's hair classification in a search. There weren't that many people with my hairtype, and it was really helpful to see their thoughts on a variety of products and routines.

I never really think about reviews, I find some sections of the forum really hard to navigate, and tend to just stick to the boards.

TakeAPotatoChip
April 6th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I thought maybe there was a way to click on someone's profile and then maybe view their reviews... I don't know since I'm new and can't access that yet. Also, I can't review anything yet. :wail: Unfortunately I'll have to wait a while. I really should have checked that, shouldn't I? :]

McFearless
April 6th, 2011, 09:59 PM
That awkward moment where you didn't know there was a reviews section...

krissykins
April 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM
I think the first thought when trying a new product (and sharing the news on LHC) is, "OH EM GEE! I NEED TO START A THREAD ABOUT THIS AMAZINGNESS!" rather than "OH EM GEE! I NEED TO POST A REVIEW IN THE REVIEWS SECTION ABOUT THIS AMAZINGNESS!"

Most people only look at threads. A lot of people don't venture to other parts of the site, ex. blogs, articles, reviews.

MissManda
April 6th, 2011, 11:05 PM
I've written a few reviews when I remembered to. I'm a space-cadet in that respect and a lot of the I write the review long after I've used a product. :o I do find reviews useful, especially if they're written by someone with a similar hair type to my own.

nucleardelusion
April 7th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Not all of those many members are very active. Myself, I've never created my own thread and I only respond every now and then- I'd imagine a lot of people are registered lurkers. I only made an account after reading around for what might have been years and deciding to make myself a name. I've even disappeared for months after things in my life got tough. So, it's not an "excuse," but I think even though there are plenty of members, not all of us participate as much as others. I know it seems frustrating, but some of us might not have even thought to make a review with so many threads floating around. :)

pepperminttea
April 7th, 2011, 08:39 AM
The review section is a bit un-userfriendly, I've left a few reviews but it feels hard to navigate (it isn't really, but it feels awkward for whatever reason)

Agreed. I tend to stick to the product threads for that reason, but I have posted a few things in the Reviews section. It'd be lovely to see it redesigned so it was actually used, or to see the search improved, etc., but there doesn't seem to be the manpower. We need more hamsters. :p

krissykins
April 7th, 2011, 07:05 PM
Agreed. I tend to stick to the product threads for that reason, but I have posted a few things in the Reviews section. It'd be lovely to see it redesigned so it was actually used, or to see the search improved, etc., but there doesn't seem to be the manpower. We need more hamsters. :p

We need to bring in new hamsters who don't have so many demands. But don't tell them I said that. :p

I posted a few reviews on my favorite things, and I was going to add some new things, but it was too much of a hassle last night. I'll have to remember to do it this weekend.