PDA

View Full Version : oiling hair in summer = fried hair?

pixistixx
April 6th, 2011, 01:10 PM
This might seem like a weird question, but I was thinking about it so anyway...
back in the day people slathered on oil at the beach so they could fry themselves to a nice golden brown, so would oiling the hair and going out in the hot sun also leave hair fried? just wondering :cool:

Avital88
April 6th, 2011, 01:30 PM
Haha good question.. I do think your hair get hotter with oil.. Or i'm assuming that, i'm gonna try castor oil this summer, for a super duper growth spurt :p

Latte Lady
April 6th, 2011, 01:37 PM
I really doubt it. Hair and skin are very different. Oil has been used in hair since the dawn of time to keep in soft and moisterised. If it fried hair it wouldn't have been the number one choice for so many of hundreds of years.
Hair will react to the sun though with or without oil. If you don't like the sun lightened look wear a hot. I stay out of the sun period. As a redhead my hair goes from red to flamen orange after sun bleaching.

spidermom
April 6th, 2011, 01:47 PM
I've noticed that oil is a lot harder to wash out of my hair if I leave it in for extended periods during hot weather. I once left it in for 2 days during a heat wave, and my hair was limp, oily, and dull after at least the first 2 washes. I think it took 3 clarifying washes to get it out.

moonlight
April 6th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I only oil my hair at night when it's wet after I wash. My dry hair hates oil.

If I'm in the sun, I wear a hat. Mostly because I don't like direct sunlight, but I think it's better for my hair too.

littlenvy
April 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Oil won't prevent sun damage.

But no matter what oil you use, its not likely to be the cause of your damage. The boiling point of any oil is pretty high so your hair would have to be heated up to over 80C in order to fry it. If you are still worried then jojoba oil (since its not a regular oil) will burn the least and can take the highest temps. :)

Anje
April 6th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I haven't noticed any problems with oiling my hair in the summer. I have noticed problems with sitting outside for long periods without sun protection (though my skin burns long before my hair, I think).

I think people getting tanned or burned has less to do with any oil that they put on their skin than the fact that they're not putting sunblock on. They're not frying like an egg in an oiled pan, they're experiencing cellular damage due to prolonged ultraviolet radiation. That's why you won't get sunburned in a sauna -- it's UV, not heat.

pixistixx
April 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
this is all good to know :)... i didn't think it caused damage, but then again I've only oiled my hair since November so didn't know what to expect

telegraph64
April 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
I always wear a big sunhat in the summer to protect both my very fair and fragile skin, and my hair! I get burned very easily and have to wear a very high SPF in order to avoid boiling lobster-style, because it is never fun to have a nice summer ruined by sunburn.
Oil should never fry your hair, in the sunlight, the only way to oil-fry hair is to heat it up directly, like dipping your ends in a frying pan! Don't try that!!

Oksana
April 6th, 2011, 04:29 PM
This question has passed my thoughts many a time! - Hasn't stopped my oiling though :)

Fufu
April 6th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Summer all year round in Singapore, nothing happens when I oil my hair :)

hs_atreides
April 6th, 2011, 09:50 PM
I was concerned about that, too, but I haven't been able to find any info stating oil "cooks" the hair in the heat of the sun.

jojo
April 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
oil +sun + bun = happy jojo & lovely soft hair!

Firefox7275
April 10th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Both coconut oil and shea butter have a low SPF so could actually help .protect your hair from the sun.