PDA

View Full Version : Hair Sticks and Forks for Kids

Maelyssa
April 6th, 2011, 01:09 PM
I want to have something fancy for my 7 & 8 year old daughters to put in their hair when they get all dressed up. I love hair forks & sticks but am wondering what would be the ideal size for small heads. I'm not a pro at hair toys so I don't know the typical lengths.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!

longcurlygirl<3
April 6th, 2011, 02:06 PM
i hear this is a good place http://asianideas.com/chforkibura.html
and its CHEAP!
good luck

Blandine
April 6th, 2011, 04:13 PM
For girls that age I'd suggest Flexi8's. They are easy to handle, less prone to cause injuries than sticks or forks, can't break (at least you'd have to try really hard), don't slip or fall off, can't be pulled from the hair by naughty playmates that easily - and show me a little girl who would not like glittering beads.

HairStickler
April 6th, 2011, 05:17 PM
Agree with Flexi-8's. I could just see my daughter hugging a friend and poking the friend's eye out with a hairstick. :shudder: :pirate:

Pantsless Amy
April 6th, 2011, 06:04 PM
My little girls love to borrow my self made hair sticks. They're six inches in length and haven't been a poking problem (at least not yet *fingers crossed*). They even wear them to school. My girls are six and ten. Mostly they wear them in pencil buns and cheater chinese buns.

firefly42
April 6th, 2011, 09:32 PM
if you want sticks that are shorter, Ketylo makes hairsticks in five inch length. I use those (my hair is BSL and thinish) and they're great. I love his acrylic sticks bc i can get them wet, wear them in the shower, the pool, everywhere!

sibiryachka
April 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM
I made a pair of forks/pins for my niece's 8th birthday last weekend. Materials were double-ended knitting needles, ribbon, cloth flowers and hot glue. The needles are 7" long, and a little short for my use when bent in half, but just the right size on her.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/polyglot26/tests/Hair/DSCN5543.jpg

I did not intend for them to be an everyday, practical kind of thing - and clearly they are not that, especially since her hair has been trimmed back to barely APL, and a loose messy bun is all it will do right now. However, they did stay in place surprisingly well, and I think they'll do fine for special dressy occasions involving fairly little running/jumping, when she gets a little more length back.

I do think Flexi-8s are ideal for regular use - nice & secure, no stabby parts.

Maelyssa
April 7th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Well it didn't occur to me about how dangerous they might potentially be to have the hair sticks in...especially for school so I'll take that into consideration.
Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'll look into Flexi-8's for daily use then maybe some of your suggestions for special occasion wear!

Maelyssa
April 7th, 2011, 08:35 PM
I made a pair of forks/pins for my niece's 8th birthday last weekend. Materials were double-ended knitting needles, ribbon, cloth flowers and hot glue. The needles are 7" long, and a little short for my use when bent in half, but just the right size on her.

http://i1021.photobucket.com/albums/af334/polyglot26/tests/Hair/DSCN5543.jpg

I did not intend for them to be an everyday, practical kind of thing - and clearly they are not that, especially since her hair has been trimmed back to barely APL, and a loose messy bun is all it will do right now. However, they did stay in place surprisingly well, and I think they'll do fine for special dressy occasions involving fairly little running/jumping, when she gets a little more length back.

I do think Flexi-8s are ideal for regular use - nice & secure, no stabby parts.

That's really really beautiful sibiryachka....you're niece is extremely lucky! I might try crafting something similar for my girls so they have something special to wear when dressing up & going out with mommy.

Teufelchen
April 8th, 2011, 12:58 AM
My little niece (9 yrs) wanted hairsticks as well, so I gave her a pair of ketylos for Christmas, the short ones and she is really happy with them.

UrbanEast
April 8th, 2011, 02:12 AM
How about the Mei Fas? They're relatively inexpensive but still fancy looking.

sibiryachka
April 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM
...Or check out

http://www.longhairgirl.com/Store/Category/Hair&#37;20Sticks.aspx?page=2&sortby=4

They have lots of little-girl-friendly hair bling!

Latte Lady
April 8th, 2011, 10:26 PM
When I was little we would find pretty buttons and hook them on U-shaped hairpins and stick those in out hair. Didn't know how to use them to actually hold up our hair back then. Easy and safe for the hair. And so cheap that if they lose one, who really cares. You can have craft projects were they string up beads and tie the string to the button using a sewing needle then hook the creation to the hairpin. I loved the dangles the best when I was a child and they still are my favorite.
I feel inspired to dig through my button jar to see what I can come up with. I know I've got ladybugs somewhere!

Maelyssa
April 10th, 2011, 03:44 PM
More awesome suggestions...thank you so much all! I'm going to be doing some shopping & crafting very very soon. :D