PDA

View Full Version : can hair grow in thicker?

lastnite
April 5th, 2011, 04:08 PM
I was wondering, if anyone with thin/fine hair has been able to grow thicker hair (with vitamins, products, herbs, Ayurvedic hair care, monistat, anything)?

It's been my main mission to try and thicken up my hair..and I wonder if I'm chasing after the impossible and wasting time trying so many different things (since it does take a bit of time to see if things work!)

I did have quite thick hair as a kid and my early teens, back then I could make 2 pigtails but now all of my hair just makes 1 of those pigtails. Not sure if hormones could of changed it so much? It would just be nice to have a decent thick braid, make buns and not worry about hair cleavage, etc...

krissykins
April 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Well, I think so :p I remember reading stuff about this, but I am exhausted and only here to bump the thread ;)

jaine
April 5th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Diet had a big effect on the thickness of my individual hairs. It was in the opposite direction though: my hair used to be M/C and now it's F. My ponytail circumference decreased. I love my new diet and would never go back, but I'll still record what I changed in case it's useful to anyone.

My previous diet was heavy in wheat and dairy and peanut butter (that was pretty much all I ate ... Shredded wheat, milk, cheese, bread, peanut butter, and some fruit).

My new diet was a low-glycemic load diet with meat and eggs and vegetables at the base of the food pyramid, with some fruit and nuts and fish, no wheat, no dairy, no sugar, and a very limited amount of non-gluten grains like rice.

My hair started growing in differently about 1 month after I switched. I had a very noticeable growout line in all of my shed hairs except for the ones that were already fine. They were fine near the root and medium or coarse near the tips, with the fine section getting longer and longer as time passed, half an inch per month since I switched.

I love my new diet and would never switch back though ... I have so much energy and I'm 20x healthier than I was. :)

ETA: I have some reason to believe that the change in hair was caused by a change in hormones with the new diet. The foods I was eating before were very insulinogenic (causing insulin production) and the new diet is designed to keep blood sugar low and stable to limit insulin production. Higher levels of insulin encourage the production of androgens. The androgens contribute to (among other things) acne and hirsutism (excess body hair). I have always had acne and excess body hair ever since puberty. My acne totally went away on the new diet and my body hair became finer, especially on my arms. I also had chronic fatigue and depression on the old diet and both of those were fixed too. (So much that I had a sort of identity crisis because I wasn't "feeling like myself" ... it was weird to feel suddenly happy and energetic after being depressed and tired for so long.) Anyway, for me, having less hair is a VERY small price to pay in exchange for all of the health issues that I inadvertently fixed. :)

spidermom
April 5th, 2011, 07:21 PM
For reasons other than hair, you should do the very best that you can with your health habits - eat a balanced diet, don't smoke, drink plenty of water, get enough exercise and rest. Then your hair and the rest of you can be at its best.

My hair thickens and thins with the season. When I measured it last fall, I got 3.8. I measured this morning and got 4.25. Different season; things are growing, not dying and shedding.