PDA

View Full Version : zmog the itchies!!

AnqeIicDemise
April 4th, 2011, 11:34 PM
They're driving me insane.

So, last wash day, it was Saturday. I accidentally put in too much oil, couldn't stand the texture and washed it off. I meant to do an overnight oiling but I'd never really oiled my scalp before and wanted something different. (it was 50/50 castor and EVO.)

Oh. It came out beautiful.

It was the first time I ever CWC (because I did read CO helps break down the super oilies).

Here it is Monday, barely two days AFTER my wash day and I'm dying. No flakes, just MEGA itchies. It is so bad that my usual lavender water didn't soothe.. it is late as all hell and I am tempted to go wash my hair right now.

Is this a common thing when the scalp gets oiled for the first time? I've read a bit that some people get itchies, some don't.. but I didn't realize it would be this bad. I have a feeling if I keep this up I'll make myself bleed. :(

ETA: I am not allergic to castor oil OR evo. I use a 50/50 blend on my face without problems as a make up remover and face wash. The CO used is the same one I always have-- in fact, it was super diluted because I was running out.

ETA2: I thought about it and the only thing I've ever added was a drop of tea tree oil to get rid of the castor oil smell. Could THIS be attributing to the itchies? I can't stand it anymore. I'm off to wash my hair two days early.

christine1989
April 4th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I've never heard of itching from scalp oiling (assuming there is no allergic reaction). As someone who had chronic hives for 5+ years I know quite a few things to alleviate itching. The old home remedy of using oatmeal to soothe skin really does help but you could also give benadryl a try if you have some around. Even if it dosen't help the itching it may make you drowsy enough to go to sleep (and you can't itch when you're asleep! :))

sycamoreboutiqu
April 4th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Tea Tree is very astringent and drying - and it is possible you reacted to that.

I wouldn't use Tea Tree for anything other than drying out blemishes or something similar. I hate the smell of it myself, far too medicinal.

DoubleCrowned
April 4th, 2011, 11:51 PM
Tea tree is a very harsh oil and could easily irritate the skin.

Lavender oil is considered safe to apply to the skin undiluted, so you might consider using it to make the castor oil treatment more pleasant. Try it on the inside of your elbow first, just in case.

AnqeIicDemise
April 4th, 2011, 11:56 PM
I shall take Christine's advice and take a benadryl. Maybe that will help with the itch. I seriously thought it had been the rope braid at first (I had it in a bun and I could feel the tips against the nape of my skin), so I did a Gibson Tuck. Then I thought it was just the tips irritating the scalp. But it was worse when I took my hair down for my bath...and I found myself itching like crazy.

I had flashbacks of the lice infestation of 96 and felt like crying. (Huge phobia developed after that).

Tea tree is a very harsh oil and could easily irritate the skin.

Lavender oil is considered safe to apply to the skin undiluted, so you might consider using it to make the castor oil treatment more pleasant. Try it on the inside of your elbow first, just in case.

I do know I have no problem to Lavender my friend. My handle really should be LavenderHead.

I suppose you guys are right though. I think it was the Tea Tree oil... and my scalp is yelling at me. I washed off again to make sure I got all the stuff off. All I can say is that the warm water irritated it even more.

Firefox7275
April 5th, 2011, 05:00 AM
You may be stuck in an itch-scratch cycle, which IIRC is an inflammatory response. The sensation of cold can be of benefit as it triggers different nerve impulses than scratching. You might also ask a pharmacist if there are any anti-inflammatory products that might help.

DoubleCrowned
April 6th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I do know I have no problem to Lavender my friend. My handle really should be LavenderHead.

I suppose you guys are right though. I think it was the Tea Tree oil... and my scalp is yelling at me. I washed off again to make sure I got all the stuff off. All I can say is that the warm water irritated it even more.

Lavender essential oil is good to heal burns. Maybe it would help heal the irritation from the tea tree oil.

krissykins
April 6th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Eep! Tea tree oil is probably what did it to ya. Is your scalp still bothering you? If so, try putting a mixture of honey and aloe vera gel on your scalp. That should help it a bit, unless you knowingly have an allergy to one of those items ;)

AnqeIicDemise
April 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
My scalp started flaking something terrible. It looked like I had dandruff and the itch didn't really go away either.

I ended up dong a castor oil/evo & lavender oiling tonight. I can tell you, this was a godsend. About ten minutes after putting the stuff in, I could feel the itch calming down some.

Now I have itchy *parts*, chiefly where I missed the scalp when oiling. :wail:

I split my hair in sections and oil the sections, but this time I missed the *split*.. so now I have a grid pattern of itch. -.-

But it is more manageable now. ^0^

Thank you all for the suggestions.

AnqeIicDemise
April 6th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Eep! Tea tree oil is probably what did it to ya. Is your scalp still bothering you? If so, try putting a mixture of honey and aloe vera gel on your scalp. That should help it a bit, unless you knowingly have an allergy to one of those items ;)

I shall do this in a few days if the itch comes back. I *knew* there was a reason I wanted to go buy honey today. d'oh!

krissykins
April 6th, 2011, 10:09 PM
Gasp! You're a member of LHC and you don't have honey?! Why, it's a staple around here. How are you supposed to do your SMTs???

Haha just kidding :p when you do use it, remember to heat it up for 10-15 seconds if you don't want it to lighten your hair!

I'm glad to hear your second oiling went better :flower: I was also going to suggest coconut oil, but I wasn't sure if you'd want to try oiling your scalp again after the reaction you had last time

AnqeIicDemise
April 6th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Gasp! You're a member of LHC and you don't have honey?! Why, it's a staple around here. How are you supposed to do your SMTs???

Haha just kidding :p when you do use it, remember to heat it up for 10-15 seconds if you don't want it to lighten your hair!

I'm glad to hear your second oiling went better :flower: I was also going to suggest coconut oil, but I wasn't sure if you'd want to try oiling your scalp again after the reaction you had last time

Girl, I just finished the last bit of honey in my cottage cheese. I use my honey in a lot of my sugar scrubs and face washes (honey/castor oil/ evo and lavender). In *fact* I use honey more ON me than in me. If it hadn't been for the cottage cheese, I wouldn't have eaten it. xD

I use coconut oil on the tips of my hair as I find it too heavy for my scalp. I get a major case of the greasies the next day if I put it there. I guess I just have a harder time washing it out than I do castor/evo.