PDA

View Full Version : Age and diameter of single hairs?

ilovelonghair
April 4th, 2011, 10:19 PM
I just read an article that said that when people get older their single hairs get thinner in diameter. Most people I know always had the same hair structure. Wonder if there is a vague truth in it, but I doubt it. Only maybe in cases of male pattern baldness.

Fingolphin
April 4th, 2011, 10:21 PM
It is not only males who go bald. For the most part, almost everyone's hair thins out a bit as they age.

SurprisingWoman
April 4th, 2011, 10:41 PM
My silvers are thinner in diameter than my auburn hair was when I was younger.

Nenwing
April 4th, 2011, 11:38 PM
My silvers are thinner in diameter than my auburn hair was when I was younger.

Dang its hard to imagine you with even more spectacular hair than is already in your signature!

I am going on 30 (yeah real old I know ;) ), but I've always had very fine hair, meaning each strand is quite thin. I sure hope it doesn't get thinner, it may disappear!

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2011, 02:44 AM
SurprisingWoman, just as Nenwing says: you got amazing hair! I am having serious hair envy!

So far my hair hasn't thinned strand-wise, but I am only 37. My parents don't have it either, they are late 60's. BUT I have lost a lot of hair in a week or so in January, that though is health related I am quite sure.

Charlotte
April 5th, 2011, 02:50 AM
My individual strand thickness is definately thinner than ever now (I'll be 45 next week). Before it was fine but had a certain "guts" to it. Now I notice that it is starting to get even finer and "fluffier" also. :( I rememeber my mum's hair and my aunties' and thinking that their hair was so fluffy thin and it looks as though I'll be heading in that direction also... :rolleyes: :blossom:

SurprisingWoman
April 5th, 2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks Nenwing and ilovelonghair.

My hair is starting to get the fluffy flyaway quality Charlotte mentioned. I still have a lot of hair, I am not complaining but it has been an interesting journey watching it change.

Aud200
April 5th, 2011, 09:29 PM
My hair is starting to get the fluffy flyaway quality Charlotte mentioned. I still have a lot of hair, I am not complaining but it has been an interesting journey watching it change.

So, does this mean you can detect a difference between the length and new hair emerging from the scalp? Or is this just an overall change? (If that makes sense)

ilovelonghair
April 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
SurprisingWoman, even if you'd lost half of your hair it would still look stunning! I don't think you ever need to worry :)

I have to worry though, my hair isn't the thickest and I lost a lot of hair recently due to health issues. But it is going towards tailbone. If my hair ever gets nasty looking there are always hair extensions and stuff. I have used them in the past when my hair was disgusting and it was great :)

telegraph64
April 5th, 2011, 09:51 PM
I feel odd- am I the only person on this forum who has experienced a general thickening of individual strands with age?
My silvers are very thick, and very smooth. The very little hair that is still colored seems thinner, however it could be a visual effect, I'm rather convinced that it is, indeed, the silvers that are thicker.

ilovelonghair
April 7th, 2011, 12:12 AM
Lucky you! I heard that silvers can be thicker and sometimes wiry or curly (if someone had straight hair)

rhosyn_du
April 7th, 2011, 12:56 AM
Interesting. I haven't noticed any difference in my own hair yet, but my mother, who has always had baby-fine 1a hair keeps expressing frustration that her greys are coming in coarse and wavy!

SurprisingWoman
April 7th, 2011, 11:35 PM
I have these hairs by my ears that I call my "cat whiskers" that grow in kinky and they will NOT behave until they get to a certain length. Drive me crazy!

After they get to be five'ish inches long (?) they mesh with the rest of the hair and a new batch starts growing. There is a constant cycle of kinky freakies growing out. Bizarre.

Once they get long enough they are as smooth and indistinguishable from all the rest. My baby hairs that grow out around my forehead are smooth and straight from the beginning. I am not sure why there is such a difference.

I have white hairs and gray hairs (and auburn hairs and brown hairs and....) the white hairs are very delicate, the gray hairs are a little tougher and the undercoat of still auburn hairs are great and still thick.

Maybe the delicacy has to do with the loss of color?