PDA

View Full Version : Shedding or Hair Loss?

Maelyssa
April 4th, 2011, 08:57 PM
I was wondering at what point do you start to worry that shedding might be something serious. I ask because I had a baby 3 months ago & all was well with my hair. About two weeks ago my hair started coming out in large clumps many times throughout the day. I've had other kids & never experienced anything like this.
I'm starting to worry because in just a week I've lost so much hair that my temples are mostly bare where as they used to be full of hair.
My doctor seems to not be worried but when I have 5 or more handfuls of hair coming out in a day plus so many loose hairs that my baby is constantly covered in them along with everything I come into contact I'm concerned.

Has anyone shed THIS severely & recovered?
I'm concerned that I'm loosing my hair on a more permanent level. If it continues like this I will look like a balding woman.

clichepithet
April 4th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I did. During my own massive postpartum shed it became enough that it looked like I had male pattern hair loss, including down into the temples. It was bad.

You're 3 only months out. That's when my shedding started to get worse, it didn't stop/slow until about 9 months post. Shedding is normal, in varying degrees. Take care of yourself, take care of your baby, take care of your hair.

It will grow back.

:flower:

Latte Lady
April 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM
I've not had any kids but it seems like all of my friends and my sister are haven't number two at the same time. They tell my that when pregnant that you shed little to none. After you have the baby things return to normal and sort of 'lets go' of all the pregnancy growth and it seems like your going to go bald. This was true for all but one lady whose hormones wern't going to balance without help. She was suffering from a mild case of postpartum depression. Give it time but if it doesn't return to normal in three months after birth or if it is starting to become even worse or even if your just have a bad feeling about it, get help. You may need to get another doctor if this one isn't taking you seriously. I'd refuse to be waved off with a few calming words. There is a problem if I say there is a problem till you can give me proof otherwise.

MoonlightShadow
April 4th, 2011, 11:26 PM
someone has told me that this happens after pregnancy because while you are pregnant, the shedding phase is stopped, i think. so, after the baby comes, you lose all the hair that you were suppose to shed. i'm hoping it's just this and not another health issue :( but so far, i think this is normal :) don't worry

MoonlightShadow
April 4th, 2011, 11:27 PM
oh and congratulations on having your baby :D

Maelyssa
April 5th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thank you all for your encouragement & support. I'll continue to baby my hair & hope that in a few months this shedding slows down & some regrowth appears. Wish me luck!

Firefox7275
April 10th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Are you taking good care of your own health - getting enough vitamins, minerals, essential fats, protein and calories each day? You will need more of everything if you are breast feeding.

Maelyssa
April 10th, 2011, 12:20 PM
Are you taking good care of your own health - getting enough vitamins, minerals, essential fats, protein and calories each day? You will need more of everything if you are breast feeding.

I just repurchased more vitamins hoping that would help. Unfortunately we've been moving during the past three days & I have yet to find & unpack the box with the new bottle of vitamins in it. That's today's goal!

Firefox7275
April 10th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I just repurchased more vitamins hoping that would help. Unfortunately we've been moving during the past three days & I have yet to find & unpack the box with the new bottle of vitamins in it. That's today's goal!

Vitamins are only a small part of the equation, that's why I asked about minerals, essential fats, protein and calories. :o There is a good post on hair nutrition in the Articles section but TBH the best thing you can do for your health is meet (or exceed) your government recommendations for healthy eating as the body uses nutrients in combinations, not in isolation.

Maelyssa
April 10th, 2011, 12:55 PM
I'll check out the article. Thanks for the great advice!