PDA

View Full Version : protecting hair from bicycle helmets?

pixistixx
April 4th, 2011, 06:37 PM
well,
it's that time of year again where I dust my old bicycle off, and every year I get broken
hairs at the crown from wearing a helmet. I tried using a bandana underneath, but it still rubbed, caused frizz, and damaged. I don't know if satin would stay on very well either though, so it's a real dilemma. Is there any kind of cap I could wear over 2 french braids, and still not manage to look incredibly dorky :D

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Could you maybe tie a satin scarf onto the bicycle helmet rather than your head, using the top vents to secure it?

looniac
April 4th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I usually wear the bike caps with the tiny brims underneath my helmet... seems to protect the hairs pretty well, also keeps the sun out of me eyes! ;)

TheBluffs
April 4th, 2011, 08:20 PM
:brickwall: Grr, this bugs me too! I mountain bike, and this is my absolute biggest problem. :justy: The blue things still fall off, and snag the life out of my hair. I haven't found a solution either.. So I'll be watching this thread. :drama:

Have you tried investigation in a different helmet? I'm now off to Google to see if I can find a hair-friendly helmet. :pray:

Anje
April 4th, 2011, 08:42 PM
How about a Buff underneath? There are several sites that sell them, this is one (http://www.buff.eu/en/USA/products/-/c/H/s/A/f/10).

NorCal
April 4th, 2011, 08:54 PM
How about a Buff underneath? There are several sites that sell them, this is one (http://www.buff.eu/en/USA/products/-/c/H/s/A/f/10).

Exactly what I was thinking! I only use them for headbands ( I cut one buff into several pieces) but they're a nice soft stretchy material.

TheBluffs
April 5th, 2011, 05:20 AM
Oh, this is a good idea! :D Do they slide off though?

whichypoohs
April 5th, 2011, 07:19 AM
Ummm I don't wear a helmet

dorothea-brooke
April 5th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Ummm I don't wear a helmet

:justy:

[Insert long boring lecture on bicycle safety here. :patrol:]

:)

pixistixx
April 5th, 2011, 10:58 AM
lots of great ideas! Unfortunately I am very bad at bicycling, so I feel paranoid not wearing a helmet, but I do love the feeling of riding without one :)

PiroskaCicu
April 5th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I bike almost everyday if the weather is okay, so I'll be checking this thread! My hair always looks crazy after a bike ride and I pull off the helmet. :D

Anje
April 5th, 2011, 04:16 PM
Another lecture about bike safety... Really comes down to the fact that I had an unfortunate encounter between my head and a tree on a gravel slope once as a kid, on a camping trip. Helmet was still in the car. Lesson learned.

dorothea-brooke
April 5th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Another lecture about bike safety... Really comes down to the fact that I had an unfortunate encounter between my head and a tree on a gravel slope once as a kid, on a camping trip. Helmet was still in the car. Lesson learned.

I went over the handlebars of my bike last summer, and spent the afternoon being mercilessly X-Rayed in the trauma unit (I was completely fine). But about 5 different nurses and EMTs came over to me while I was there to thank me for wearing a helmet. :cool:

And, BTW, I vote for a Buff!! ;)

selderon
April 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM
As an EMT (also married to an EMT/cop who has been to almost all the interesting accidents and traumas in the area), I just want to ask one thing: Do you like your brain? ;)

You might look into biker do-rags and skullcaps if snagging from the Velcro pad attachments is the problem.

dorothea-brooke
April 5th, 2011, 06:32 PM
As an EMT (also married to an EMT/cop who has been to almost all the interesting accidents and traumas in the area), I just want to ask one thing: Do you like your brain? ;)

Hmmm.... Brains.... :brains:

kdaniels8811
April 5th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Ive got it! Check this out, I use one under both my motorcycle and bicycle helmet. Works like a charm, fits well, and protects the hair. They were developed for motorcycle riders because helmets do a number on hair, especially after long rides.

And as an avid distance bicyclist - thank you for wearing a helmet. It matters. Anyway, here is the link www.stylesaverscarf.com

selderon
April 6th, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hmmm.... Brains.... :brains:

:laugh: :heartbeat

Which made me consider an alternative way of protecting hair from helmets: shave the head!

Hiriel
April 6th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I wear a buff. Or well, a "tubie (http://www.headcovers.com/12128/the-tubie-turban,-scarf,-bandana-headwrap-in-one/)". It's thin and lightweight, doesn't get hot (but will keep your ears warm in a cold wind) and it's very comfortable. The tubie plus an English braid works well for me :)

TheBluffs
April 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
Okay ,I tried a bandana/snood kind of contraption. It reminds me of the things Christian coverings are to look like. It worked wonders! :D Will try it again!

Qadupae
April 17th, 2011, 07:03 AM

Totally buying one now!:cheese:

Viola88
May 28th, 2013, 04:22 AM
Mother %&#^@*(!!!! I think I've got massive breakage from my bike helmet. Thanks to this thread, I started looking at buffs. I already have a pair of buff fishing gloves so I might as well cover myself in buff :D I just bought a UV half buff.

If I gather my courage, I'll take a pic of my damage. I've been biking to work for years and have never noticed this much damage before.