PDA

View Full Version : How do I clean a boar bristle brush?

Violeta
April 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Hello ladies! I got recently my first pure boar and nylon bristles brush to use it occasionally to oil my hair. I would like to know what is the best way to clean a brush such as this one. TIA :)

terpentyna
April 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
What do you mean by "clean"? I have never washed mine, but I brush out shed hair and lint with a wide toothed comb, it doesn't damage it as far as I know.

Violeta
April 4th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I noticed small pieces of dust, hair of course... then there's all that oil that I'm thinking it's a good idea to remove from time to time.

ooo
April 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM
I thought, I already answered, but see (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=1546274#post1546274)

Panth
April 4th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Fill your bathroom sink about 1 inch deep in lukewarm water (comfortable temperature to put your hands in). Mix in a little dish soap. Dip the bristles into the soapy water and gently swish the brush around in it. If your brush has a wooden handle, be careful only to get the bristles wet. Then, repeat but use non-soapy water. Then, lay a towel or some paper towelling down on a surface and gently tap the brush bristle side down against it to knock off the worst of the water. Leave the brush bristle side down on the towel with something supporting the handle (I used a matchbox) until the bristles are dry.

To get the lint/hair out, some brushes come with a comb to clean them. If yours didn't have one, you can usually get it clean by using a wide-toothed hair comb, a hair stick, a chopstick or a skewer.

Warning: when I washed my brush, it stank of that funny smell of antique brushes until the bristles dried. It was quite a strong, not particularly pleasant smell but it did go almost completely once fully dry.

Violeta
April 4th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Ohh thank you! Going to try this.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 05:18 PM
I scrub my plastic brush with a soft toothbrush and diluted shampoo to get hairspray residue and lint out.

kwaniesiam
April 4th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I always used diluted shampoo.