PDA

View Full Version : Help! Multiple Personality Hair

GlassWidow
April 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I'm having an issue, and it's really starting to frustrate me. I'm sure I'm not doing the right thing(s) to make it better, so I thought I would seek some advice.

Background: I co-wash with Suave pomegranate every other day, comb and let air dry. I am experimenting with AVG, but this problem predates that. I have tried EVCO with only marginal results.

Problem: Most of my hair is slightly wavy and well-behaved, but I have one or two serious curls at the nape of my neck. As my hair gets longer, they get crispier. I can remember a time in high school when I scratched my neck and came away with a whole handful of this hair because it got so crispy it just shattered. It's definitely worse on the right side of my neck, and it seemed better when I was blow drying and using 'cones (the remaining 98% of my hair doesn't love 'cones, though.)

How can I treat this one lock of hair differently from the rest of my head...or even SHOULD I? Does anyone else have experience with hair like this? TIA!

GlassWidow
April 4th, 2011, 03:10 PM
There's the little beast in my avatar! It's that curly piece that you can see against my shirt.

Anje
April 4th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Sometimes I've had issues with those myself. I've gotten somewhat better results from olive oil, but I know it smells a bit funny.

I don't see any reason why you can't put a dab of silicone serum on those hairs, if that's what works. (Silicone seems to dry my hair and makes it tangle worse after a few days, but I'm weird.) Otherwise, concentrate on moisturizing them in the shower. It's easy to for those bottom bits to hang out of shower caps or buns and get rinsed prematurely.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 05:03 PM
A lot of people treat their damaged canopy differently to their virgin underlayers or the ends differently to the roots. If cones work for that area why not, you can always do a mini-clarify every so often? Alternatively you might try something like shea butter, it melts easily in the hands and IMO is more like a coney serum than a greasy oil in texture. My sensitive skin loves it! :D

Miss Catrina
April 4th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Maybe you should continue to use a cone-free conditioner, but get a coney leave-in to spray only on that part of your hair?

GlassWidow
April 5th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the advice! Of course, I tossed all my products with 'cones. Go me. :eyeroll:.

In the interest of not spending any additional money until payday, I tried doing a conditioner leave-in on just that hunk of hair, after I co'd. It's not great, but it's definitely an improvement. Yesterday this piece was a tight spiral and today it's more of an elongated "s" shape, but horribly frizzy and rough. So, not great, but I think I'm on the right path, anyway - at least I'm no longer considering just lopping it off! :lol: