PDA

View Full Version : how to get the thick nice ends.

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 01:13 PM
i was just curious as to how most of you all with the nice blunt one length hair with the nice ends.. i have no idea how to get there and i cant find anything on here.. sorry if its there i just couldnt find it. i know its not gonna happen over night but so far im doing co wash only and acv rinse once and i dont like it on my hair, i gave up my flat iron and the blowfryer (yay me) i s&d all the time and i had my hair bleached but i dyed it brown to no have to worry about my roots coming in wish i kinda would have kept it so i can see how much growth i am getting but anyways i was just wanting to know how to get them lovely thick ends! a couple of months ago i went to the salon (dumb idea) and this sissor happy idiot cut my hair in so many layers i had to wear my hair in that stupid poof in the front because the layers on the top my head were so short to do anything else with my shortest layer comes almost to my chin andi got that hair cut back in aug of 10.. never again going to a salon!

MeganE
April 4th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Sounds like you might benefit from starting to maintain your hair in a blunt hemline, while your layers grow out.

Hemlines look the thickest when all the hair reaches the bottom layer, and the main factors there are a) growing out any layers that do not reach the hemline and b) keeping hair healthy so that it is all capable of growing long enough to reach the hemline and c) maintaining a given length to let the hairs that haven't made it to the hemline yet grow out to that point.

Lots of great info about all of that in the articles section, and in the threads. Think of it like studying a new subject, and learn everything you can about hair. The more you know, the better control you'll have over the outcome. :)

CarpeDM
April 4th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Growing out layers took me a couple of years so I just kept trimming every three months to keep my hemline in good shape...

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 01:36 PM
im trying to grow my hair long i dont like going and getting trims because well you all know when you tell a hair dresser a trim they love 2-3 inch trims with layers and all that but my goal as of right now is to just grow my hair healthy and let the dye grow out.

Lianna
April 4th, 2011, 01:37 PM
You really just have to wait the layers grow out, to keep it reasonably thick while growing do little dustings often (1-2mm). That's what I did when growing out my pixie, the bottom layer was pretty thin even though just at the end of the neck.

MonaLisa
April 4th, 2011, 01:38 PM
It will take less than couple of years and you can grow it with *some* layers, just get them more ' mild' over time.
Other option would be extensions or something.
Simply saying, for thicker ends, layers need to grow and hemline to be maintained a bit.

spidermom
April 4th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Trim a small amount from only the longest ends on a regular basis. I have found that the best schedule for me is to get a small trim (about 1/2 inch) every 3 months. My stylist is awesome and only trims what I ask. If you can't find somebody like that, you might want to explore self-trimming. I'm sorry, I don't know how to post a link for you.

When you see a stylist, you have to be very specific "trim from the longest hairs only". Then watch her/him. Pulling hair out at an angle means layers. For a trim of the longest hairs, the hair should be combed straight down, not pulled out at an angle.

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 02:31 PM
i seen on here a girl that got her hair (which is really like mine) to nice gorgeous thick ends..

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=68605

i want my hair like the second picture! lol im sure most of us shorties do.. but my hair is exactly like hers in the first pic.. it gave me alot of hope and motivation...

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 02:43 PM
my poor poor ends.. thanks alot flat irons and blow dryers and hair dye :(

http://http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205143_10150490662435608_508355607_18032208_345940 2_n.jpg

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 02:44 PM
ooops... that didnt show up

my poor poor ends.. thanks alot flat irons and blow dryers and hair dye

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/205143_10150490662435608_508355607_18032208_345940 2_n.jpg

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 02:45 PM
*btw my hairs wet...

torrilin
April 4th, 2011, 04:09 PM
i was just curious as to how most of you all with the nice blunt one length hair with the nice ends.. i have no idea how to get there and i cant find anything on here.. sorry if its there i just couldnt find it. i know its not gonna happen over night but so far im doing co wash only and acv rinse once and i dont like it on my hair

Seriously? The way I get blunt ends is I was born with straight hair, and I get regular trims to keep the ends tidy. I've gone 11 months since my last trim, but for maximum bluntness, I'd need to visit a salon about every 3-6 months.

Your hair isn't straight, so trying to get it to do what my hair does naturally is pretty silly. It's just not realistic. No matter what, your hair's ends are going to look a little choppy and textured, even if your hair was cut wet and as blunt as possible.

The other thing is your hair is chemically processed and it has a lot of heat damage. This is going to change the way your hair behaves. Depending on what you want, the changes might be good or bad. For me, heat styling leads to hair that is very splitty (even more than normal for fine hair), and it breaks easily and it tangles into hideous rats' nests. For me, that's completely and utterly unlivable. By comparison, dye doesn't bother my hair anywhere near as badly. But everyone's hair is different, and some people on here have hair that tolerates heat, or will shrug off everything. (this is not to say there's no damage... just the results of the damage don't involve breaking hair or hideous upkeep)

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 04:17 PM
yes it does have head damage thats why im not flat ironing anymore or blow drying.. natural is wear its at.. right now im worried about getting my hair healthy then growing it..

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 04:20 PM
oops.. heat damage*

knoxkatie
April 4th, 2011, 04:36 PM
It is definitely possible to achieve a blunt hemline without having straight hair. In fact, my hemline looks best when I have curl in my hair because it looks fuller. I think the only thing that works is to take extra good care of your ends and trim until your hemline is blunt. I'm still not there yet :)

angela123
April 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM
i was gonna say ive seen alot of girls on here with curly hair that have nice ends..... so idk where you got that you can get the blunt hemline if you only have straight hair.

Avital88
April 5th, 2011, 12:43 AM
Yes you can have a blunt hemline with waves or curls if you dont have layers and your hair is healthy it is all possible.
I'm still trying to get my blunt hemline, growing out layers and heat and dye damage, i see a huge difference between my damaged hair and virgin hair so right now i do regular trims, I did one in January and one in february,twice taking off 0.7inches,my hair improved a lot just by doing those tiny trims.
Right now im hoping for a bit more lenght and i will do my next trim at the end of June.Search for Feye's self trims,its quite easy to trim your own hair plus you can cut off as much as you like ,or should i say as less as you like..
Well Good luck and im curious to see your hair in a year..

angela123
April 5th, 2011, 12:55 AM
aw thanks Avital, i love your hair length! i know i cant wait to see what mine looks like in a year. i wish i would have found this site 5 years ago.. i never would have did that big chop i did.. ugh... my hair hasnt been the same since!

Katze
April 7th, 2011, 04:18 AM
I have to trim my hair to make the ends look blunt, because my hair naturally grows in a taper. I lost about half my hair after my baby was born, and the new growth is just reaching shoulder, so I am not sure what it will look like when it grows back out.

Because of this I have been trimming my hair every few months ever since coming here. First I had layers and damage, as you do, then when my hair was finally healthy, I lost it due to postpartum shed. So I am 'starting over' again. I think if I had let my hair go, and never trimmed, it would reach the floor by now, but I don't like the fairytale ends look, so I have been trimming back to APL/BSL.

My hair is now thicker, happier, and healthier than it has ever been since I started bleaching, and I am hoping I will, some day, have blunt ends! But nature seems to be against this, in my case anyway.

You are not alone!

GALISH
April 7th, 2011, 04:39 AM
Trimming is the key for thick nice ends but no constant trimms, depending on your goal lenght you'll have to wait for your hair to be 6 inches longer than you want it to be and when cut those extra inches.
Be patient and stay away from salons
Have a great journey! :)

jojo
April 7th, 2011, 05:30 AM
I had layers when I joined and just dusted the ends monthly now apart from fringe which is bsl, all my hair is the same length.

frizzinator
April 7th, 2011, 06:01 AM
You know that you have to let your hair grow out in order for all of it to be one length. It may be impossible to find a hairdresser who will cooperate because they do not want to let someone walk out of the salon with less than a perfect style.

Letting hair grow out is torture....plain and simple torture. Basically, you don't cut it. It will drive you crazy. It takes years. You just have to keep your eyes on the end result, try to avoid looking in the mirror, keep telling yourself that you have to do the time to get what you want.

This might be a good time to find something to wear to cover your hair on those days when you cannot take it anymore. One good solution is a Buff. Scarves are good too. The Buff website shows how to wear the Buff in different ways. LHC has had several threads about how to wear scarves. You will also find headbands useful, as well as barrettes and side combs.

It is not easy and don't believe anyone who tells you it is easy. You have to fight the urge to have it cut. It is going to be in your face for a couple of years. Keep reminding yourself of your goal. The way to reach your goal is not to cut your hair. Trims are ok, but don't expect too much in terms of good looking hair while you are growing out layers, damage or color.

Madora
April 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Back in 1993, I got my nice thick ends via the George Michael Salon in NYC:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87282

Kisa
April 7th, 2011, 10:28 AM
I'm growing out my layers too. Practically everything you have to do is to cut your ends regularly, and by time, your ends will even out nice and thick! Good luck :)

ericthegreat
April 7th, 2011, 10:35 AM
If you want thick ends right this moment, then you're going to need to do a significant cut, and take off at least 3 whole inches or more. If you are daring enough to do that, you will immediately get the thick ends you want. You can then maintain those thick ends while growing out your hair with regular 2 or 3 month trims.

If you aren't ready to cut your hair that drastically right now, then what you could do is just do a tiny trim right now. Then, you can keep doing tiny trims gradually over several weeks or months. If you take this option, it will be a long gradual process for you to get those thick ends, say at least 8 months to a year or more. You can keep trimming off the longest bottom layer until your top layers grow down to catch up in length with the bottom length.

bunzfan
April 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM
If you want thick ends right this moment, then you're going to need to do a significant cut, and take off at least 3 whole inches or more. If you are daring enough to do that, you will immediately get the thick ends you want. You can then maintain those thick ends while growing out your hair with regular 2 or 3 month trims.

If you aren't ready to cut your hair that drastically right now, then what you could do is just do a tiny trim right now. Then, you can keep doing tiny trims gradually over several weeks or months. If you take this option, it will be a long gradual process for you to get those thick ends, say at least 8 months to a year or more. You can keep trimming off the longest bottom layer until your top layers grow down to catch up in length with the bottom length.

Thanks for this ericthegreat i for one have been trying to grow out my layers since last year all i have done is leave the layers alone and just trim the length, and i have been wondering how i should deal with it once it reaches waist as i want it all one length. Now i have a very good idea :D

boudica
April 7th, 2011, 11:41 AM
Oh how I envy your curl!

One way that you can endure the growout period is to find updos that do two things:

1. They allow you to forget your hair while it's up. This is a good thing because you'll leave it alone.

2. Updos protect your hair from other damage.

You may not have a lot to work with right now, but even if you're treating your different layers separately, you can find a way to put it up. When I was growing out my fringe barrettes were my best friend. When I had hair your length, I braided it. It wasn't much to work with, but it was protected.

There are also products that stimulate hair growth. Mane n Tail is one that I use, diluted, in a dye bottle after every wash. It's doubled my growth rate. It's also made my nails grow like crazy.

The best advice I can give you is to stay in the community. Visit often. It'll keep your goal in mind and there are so many inspiring people here!

For me it was learning to be patient to allow something beautiful to grow without interfering too much. It's the art of the light touch, often lost in today's society.

LotusFIre
April 7th, 2011, 05:06 PM
I wonder if it is possible to grow layers out, but still have a little face framing in front. I think I would feel nude without a little hair close to my face.
Any thoughts?
I really want a blunt hemline, as I don't think I have the hair type to have gorgeous fairytail ends like many here.

ericthegreat
April 7th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I wonder if it is possible to grow layers out, but still have a little face framing in front. I think I would feel nude without a little hair close to my face.
Any thoughts?
I really want a blunt hemline, as I don't think I have the hair type to have gorgeous fairytail ends like many here.

It really depends on just how much hair you have. Generally speaking, layers work best on people with thicker hair. On fine/thin haired people, any kind of layering, even the face-framing kind will take away even more thickness from their already thin hair.
I see that you have typed yourself as a i/ii LotusFire, so if you want the thickest hemline possible, I would advise against layering actually and only keep trimming your ends into a blunt cut. :)

LotusFIre
April 7th, 2011, 05:53 PM
It really depends on just how much hair you have. Generally speaking, layers work best on people with thicker hair. On fine/thin haired people, any kind of layering, even the face-framing kind will take away even more thickness from their already thin hair.
I see that you have typed yourself as a i/ii LotusFire, so if you want the thickest hemline possible, I would advise against layering actually and only keep trimming your ends into a blunt cut. :)

I was afraid of that :rolleyes: LOL Well there's always bangs I guess..

spidermom
April 7th, 2011, 06:39 PM
Bangs rob from the thickness, too. But you can keep bangs and/or face-framing fringe very light and delicate and only take away maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch worth of thickness. I think wispy tendrilly bits around the face are very becoming.

SheaLynne
April 7th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Back in 1993, I got my nice thick ends via the George Michael Salon in NYC:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6554&pictureid=87282

:thudpile:

I can't find the single thud smilie, so I'm figuring there's a thud pile around here somewhere, anyway. Wow, Madora!!

OP, I have done monthly small trims for over a year to get rid of several inches of layers and damaged ends. I have pics in my album of my trimming progress. I still have 4-6 inches of damaged hair to go, so I'm hoping my ends will continue to thicken even at longer lengths, but we'll see. If not, I'll probably maintain (take bigger monthly trims) at classic length to try to achieve the thicker ends. It just depends how you choose to go about it.

Madora
April 8th, 2011, 08:23 AM
Awww, SheaLynne! You are sweet:) Thank you!

Judging from your picture, it looks like your hair is in great shape with a lovely hemline. I believe in trimming every 3 to 4 months..but the trim at the GM salon was the ultimate in getting that true blunt hemline look! I'm keepin' my fingers crossed that I'll be able to visit them again this August! I am SO excited!:cheese::cheese::cheese:

angela123
April 10th, 2011, 01:19 AM
here you go guys..
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7571&pictureid=99824

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7571&pictureid=100081

not much of a difference but its oiled.. i dont know if it makes it appear longer but it def looks longer and a little thicker to me.. anyone agree?

angela123
April 10th, 2011, 01:21 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=7571&pictureid=100082

but here it is stretched and looking shorter then before but it was just bunched up!