PDA

View Full Version : How do you Clarify?

sweetlidlred
March 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
I am new on this long hair journey. I have tried cone free for about a month and my hair feels soft when I get done CWC but it feels dry later in the day. So, I am going to try with cones for a month and see how that goes, but, I read somewhere that if you use cone products you should clarify every couple of weeks, can you tell me what that means and how you do it? Thanks!

AJoifulNoise
March 12th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I use Herbal Essenses Hello Hydration or None of Your Frizzness shampoos, heavily diluted. About a tablespoon in a 1.5-2 Cups water. Sometimes I throw in some honey and aloe vera. I do this once every week, week and a half to remove the build up from -cones and oils.

jojo
March 12th, 2008, 09:03 PM
i used to use baking soda mixed with conditioner but it dried my hair, ive just started using Giovanni's 50:50 claryfying shampoo once a week, my hair loves it!!

Stagecoach
March 12th, 2008, 09:19 PM
For clarifying I use a VO5 or Suave clarifying shampoo followed by a heavy condish treatment, and my next wash will pre treated with a heavy oiling.

spidermom
March 12th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Using full-strength gentle shampoo usually works for me as I usually CWC with diluted. A weak vinegar rinse (1 tbsp white vinegar to 3 cups of water) poured/massaged slowly through, then rinsed adds to the effect. I know people say that vinegar does not clarify, but for me, it does.

Cinnamon Hair
March 12th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I clarify by shampooing the scalp and length. Other times I may just shampoo the scalp and let the suds run down the length when rinsing (not quite as good).
Or if you want to be thorough you could buy a clarifying shampoo. I have ION Clarifying shampoo from Sally's Beauty Supply --but it is rare for me to use it. Every 2 weeks is probably too often if you're using a real clarifying shamppo. Just do it as needed, probably no more than once a month or every other month.

Teacherbear
March 12th, 2008, 11:05 PM
I CWCC (the last C is a leave in conditioner).

I clarify by mixing a little bit of baking soda with my shampoo. I only do this every couple of months, though. I don't use any styling products.

Bloodflower
March 13th, 2008, 02:50 AM
I use a shampoo with sodium laureth sulfate and only few other ingredients. Normally it's Ecoly Cucumber Shampoo, but I have also used others. Then a vinegar rinse to get residue from hard water off. Afterwards I always use a cone free conditioner and let it soak in for a while.

I do this treatment maybe once every two months. I don't think my hair would take it very well if I stripped it of everything more often.

savi
March 13th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I do what stagecoach does. Full strenght clarifying shampoo (Vo5) followed by heavy conditioning.
I'm mainly no-cones and Co washes only, but some of my leave-ins have small amounts of cones thus the harsh treatment. Oh, this happens about every two months.

Madam Librarian
March 13th, 2008, 06:50 AM
I just use some shampoo with sulfates, and work it in on all my hair, not just the scalp. I've been using Sleektress from Nexxus lately (just because I got it for cheap, no special reason), but when I need to pull out the big guns, I love Aloe Rid.

harley mama
March 13th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I use a clarifying shampoo if my hair gets really nasty. But, I have only shampooed 2 or 3 times in the last 2 years. I don't use leave in products so I don't get build up. I CO 2 times a week and I oil daily. That's it!

Mahars
March 13th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I've gone back to good old Pantene Purity shampoo. It's cheap, it's easy, and it's not too damaging since I only use it about once/month. I deep condition for 5 minutes afterwards.

Tapioca
March 13th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I'm a full-on cone lover (Garnier Fructis), and I wash every day. Saturday mornings, I use Suave clarifying on my scalp and length, then follow it with some deep conditioning treatment or another.

beledigrrl
March 13th, 2008, 01:04 PM
I alternate between using an ACV rinse and amla powder. They both leave my hair squeaky clean and extremely soft.

vdhendrix
October 28th, 2009, 10:24 PM
when i use cones i clarify ever so ofter with sauve clarifying shampoo

Coriander
October 28th, 2009, 10:45 PM
I use Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo, usually followed by a nice deep conditioning treatment. It works really well for me. I normally do this every two weeks or so.

shadowclaw
October 28th, 2009, 11:49 PM
I don't often clarify, but when I do, I use V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying shampoo. It's cheap and does the job. Really any cheap SLS (or ALS) shampoo without cones will work. Try to avoid any that are made for adding body or something like that. They often have stuff in them that will contribute to buildup and thus not do a great job at clarifying.

Sometimes I feel in a coney mood and use some of my mom's shampoo and conditioner. When I do that, I usually wash twice and add baking soda to the second round to make sure I get everything off.

It's a good idea to do a good soak in conditioner afterwards. I like to do honey masks (1:1 honey + conditioner) for about two hours afterwards.