PDA

View Full Version : Calling all curlies/wavies, what is your night time routine?

Curly_jas
April 4th, 2011, 10:30 AM
I searched but couldn't find a thread like this so if there is please let me know :) *Update!* some how i missed the share your curly haired regime thread, where a few people have spoken about their nightly routine so I'll go have a read. Although I am more focused on nightly routine so if anyone still feels like replying please do :)

Since I stopped using heat tools last year I really haven't been consistently protecting my hair at night, just putting it up in a quick ponytail/messy bun, or just leaving it out. I think it's because I find it difficult to work with this length (my profile picture is one I took today) and it's quite thick. So I was just wondering, do you guys have a special nightly haircare routine that you do? Any oils or products you use in this routine? The thread is specifically geared towards curly haired people but of course anyone please feel free to share/give advice! Thanks in advance for any responses :D

CurlyZ
April 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM
That'a a good one!
I would like to see the answers.
At the moment I don't do anything with my hair at bed time. Too short.
While it was longer I would braid. But that "ruined" the curl pattern....

jesis
April 4th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Do you want to know what we do to protect our hair at night or what we do to keep our curls intact?

I wash every morning unless my hair looks like I can get second day curls. Usually, I can't. At night I put some kind of oil into my hair (a small amount) and braid it to protect it from tangles. Otherwise, they are ungodly, and I can't have that.

Throwing it into a messy bun usually creates more tangles than leaving it loose because I move around so much at night. In turn, this causes damage, so I try to avoid it.

HTH!

Curly_jas
April 4th, 2011, 10:45 AM
That'a a good one!
I would like to see the answers.
At the moment I don't do anything with my hair at bed time. Too short.
While it was longer I would braid. But that "ruined" the curl pattern....

ah, thanks, me too! Yeah that's how i feel with my hair, it's too short to do much too but i feel like if I'm treating it so nicely (no heat tools etc) i should to protect it at night too. I also agree about the braid! it gives me a "weird" curl lol.

kitschy
April 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
I do a "pineapple." Basically it is a high ponytail on top of my head, secured with a velvet scrunchy. It keeps my curly pattern pretty well, but my hair is getting so long that I might have to find a different method. Suggestions? Anyone?

bunzfan
April 4th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I braid mine but it can made the ends looks frazzled.

CTH3989
April 4th, 2011, 11:20 AM
I usually braid or bun my hair and then cover it with a satin bonnet. There is a curly thread that would probably be helpful.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

EricaLee83
April 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I oil it a bit and then braid it. I guess it depends on your curl type, but even with braiding it I can get 2nd day and sometimes 3rd day curls. But your hair is a lot shorter than mine. Have you tried just letting it free but putting a silk/satin scarf or bonnet at night?

spidermom
April 4th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I do a loose-ish braid on the top-back of my head. The best way to get it in the right place so that it doesn't pull is to lay on my back with my hair hanging over the side of the bed, then I braid it, finishing by sitting up and bringing the braid in front of my face. Then it fits very comfortably over the top of the pillow.

I tried to do it at first by bending forward, but the braid always ended up in a place that pulled when I would lay down.

Oh - and about twice a week, I wash my hair before bed, then "puddle" it between the top of my pillow and a pillow that I wedge between the bed frame and the mattress, otherwise my hair falls over the edge of the mattress and pulls. I usually get very pretty spiral curls the next day from this. Pillow plopping, I think it's called.

virgo75
April 4th, 2011, 12:06 PM
My hair is curly but only APL.
I also don't style it "curly" often because it's so fine that it doesn't hold well. :(
My usual style is wearing it up. If I wear it down my hair has braid or bun waves.

At night I usually separate my hair into 2 sections(right & left), wet my hands with water and smooth over/through one section of hair, then apply a little oil or serum and braid. Repeat on the other side. Sometimes I'll make it only one braid if I'm being lazy.

On the extremely rare occasion I get good curl formation that lasts and might make it till the next day, I do a loose pineapple on top of my head. But that's like a couple of times a year. :lol:

irisheyes
April 4th, 2011, 01:02 PM
I do a French braid to protect my canopy. If I do a regular braid, the top hair comes loose and actually feels rough when I get up in the morning. This is a new routine for me. I used to just let it loose, but it's getting too long for that, and it doesn't help my coarse/frizzy texture. Of course the underlayers are smooth as silk.

irisheyes
April 4th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I forgot to mention my hair is wavy - the French braid enhances my waves and reduces that top frizz effect.

ooo
April 4th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I pineaplle, but usually more bun like that ponytailish http://www.emofaces.com/en/emoticons/p/pineapple-emoticon.gif

Curly_jas
April 4th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Do you want to know what we do to protect our hair at night or what we do to keep our curls intact?

I wash every morning unless my hair looks like I can get second day curls. Usually, I can't. At night I put some kind of oil into my hair (a small amount) and braid it to protect it from tangles. Otherwise, they are ungodly, and I can't have that.

Throwing it into a messy bun usually creates more tangles than leaving it loose because I move around so much at night. In turn, this causes damage, so I try to avoid it.

HTH!

Hmm, both really, but more so how you protect it from unwanted damage during the night. So may i ask when you use the oil do you just massage it into the whole of the hair or focus on the lengths/roots and so fourth? Hope that makes sense.
Yes i agree, although my curls seem to hold their pattern well the next morning (i normally re-wet it a little in the morning anyways though) i know that for me leaving my hair in a messy bun is not good for it. Yes it did thank you :D

Mountaingrrl
April 4th, 2011, 02:08 PM
I'm reading this thread with interest as I'm experimenting to find the best bedtime routine. So far I've had good results with damp braids under a satin bonnet.

wavyR
April 4th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I pinapple my hair as well at night. Now I can get a good two, three days of hair out of it.

I do a "pineapple." Basically it is a high ponytail on top of my head, secured with a velvet scrunchy. It keeps my curly pattern pretty well, but my hair is getting so long that I might have to find a different method. Suggestions? Anyone?

http://collegecurly.blogspot.com/2010/06/revisiting-modified-pineapple.html

I believe this person was a member of the naturally curly boards, and she has a method at involved pineappling (is that a word?) and clipping that I find works well. And there are pictures which makes it easier to understand. Hope it helps :)

Curly_jas
April 4th, 2011, 02:32 PM

Ah yes, i should try this method, i've heard of it before and it seems quite popular, but i'm not sure if my hair is long enough yet for it to work well.

Speckla
April 4th, 2011, 07:49 PM
I usually braid or bun my hair and then cover it with a satin bonnet. There is a curly thread that would probably be helpful.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=369

+ 1. Bun/braid, oil and bonnet! Very helpful

Curly_jas
April 5th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Thank you for all the replies guys, I'm just getting a chance to read through them all properly now as i was trying to get my uni work done yesterday so thought it best to get off the internet lol.

dollface
April 8th, 2011, 07:22 PM
my hair is wavy and i normally use my EVOO and conditioner mix (in a mister bottle) before bed and sleep with it loose. the EVOO and conditioner keeps it moist and helps to prevent tangles for me and sleeping with it loose makes my waves more pronounced.

MaryRose
April 8th, 2011, 08:59 PM
I don't like the feel of wet hair so I just twist my hair up and pin it. This works great to keep down the frizzies. If I plan to go somewhere the next day, I just put my hair half up with a barrette. My hair is smooth on top and I have nice waves below the barrette.