PDA

View Full Version : Detangling help please !

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Some of you may know, from a different thread, that I am going to be spending 15 nights on a small catamaran in the Exumas island chain. Hair washing is done with a bucket full of fresh water. The trip is coming up quickly, under two weeks away, and as I was detangling my hair tonight I realized I need some advice.
My hair is quite wavy, hip length and very thick. Because of my natural frizzy wave, it tangles easily. I spend quite a bit of time gently detangling it after washing and I am hoping to make this quicker and easier for the boat. I will be snorkeling in the ocean daily.
I am currently cone free, but I am wondering if using a coney conditioner will make detangling easier ? If so, recommendations ??
What about spray detanglers ? Do they work well ? I haven't tried it before, I couldn't imagine trying to spray the bulk of my hair in the back, my hair on my crown is different than the rest, it's an afro of kinky difficult hair.
Leave ins ?
Magic potions ?
Any help is sincerely appreciated !!

darklion
April 4th, 2011, 12:47 AM
I vote for using half cone half no cone conditioner mix. I find it easier and faster to detangle my hair when I use a little coney conditioner. I've learned that it doesn't need to be all cone... that's harder to wash out.
Also, I've been noticing that when I oil my wet hair... it doesn't tangle as much when it's dry. Even after sleeping.
Lastly... wear braids... constantly. Worst case scenario... wash only scalp and leave hair in braids! It's easy enough to detangle the neck hair with conditioner!!

christine1989
April 4th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Cones definatly help with detangling. You could also bring a good quality detangling spray for after you wash your hair. I would also think that keeping it in a well controlled style (like a braid) during the day will help prevent tangles from happening to begin with and may make combing through your wet hair smoother.

Dragon
April 4th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I find detangling sprays don’t work well but leave in conditioners are great. I don’t have any advice on cones. Also light oiling may help.

Malibu Barbie
April 4th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Most of the time when I have gone on boats I've kept my hair in braids and didn't bother to wash it at all. The salt water should keep it pretty clean. You can rise it by dumping clean water on it after you get out of the saltwater but I would stand up and do that (Decreases tangles). I have also gotten it wet put shampoo on it and then jumped in the ocean to rinse and then got out and used fresh water to rinse that. Being on a boat you can't get away from the salt water. I have used leave ins but found it best to let it dry before you try and comb it because the salt water will make this harder to do. When I did wash it I would put healthy sexy hair on it and braid it wet (Just fingering through it) Until dry then try and comb it. The longest I was out was three weeks and it seemed to work for me, but everyones hair is different. I hope this helps.

Debra83
April 4th, 2011, 01:16 AM
Johnson's detangler works in a pinch, and prob. easier to pick up because you leave soon.

Best detangler ever is the Eqyss Survivor detangler...if you have a store around you that sells Equine supplies, you might find it there.

I don't get it from this site, but here's a pic of it.

http://www.petvetsupply.com/eqsursupdets.html

julliams
April 4th, 2011, 02:25 AM
I would vote for one or two french braids and only washing twice or three times tops during the trip. Would that work for you?

rosek
April 4th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Try using some of the same conditioner you wash your hair with to help you detangle. I have thick hair too, and I find it works very weel, and does not leave my hair sticky or greasy at all. Use the same amount as if you were applying a leave in conditioner.

Barbie Diamond
April 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM
I suggest pig tail or Indian braids (2). If you do decide to wash, then after undoing the braids, keep your hair in front of you (still split down the middle), wash, rinse, condition, rinse, detagle (Miracle hair works good), rebraid. It works for me.

Chibbylick
April 4th, 2011, 04:32 AM
you can buy shampoo that lathers in salt water...

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM
I am a huge fan of leave-in conditioners - if you buy a cream one and take a spray bottle you could use the same product for detangling. Schwartzkopf Gliss Oil Nutritive or Liquid Silk (coney) and Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition (no cones) have been successfully used as a leave-in and as a diluted detangler by LHCers. Both ranges give plenty of slip, are reasonably priced and have very positive reviews on LHC. :D

Alternatively if you bought a biodegradable conditioner you could smother your hair, finger comb in the sea/ under water the back on board for a final rinse. A sun/sea/swim product would be multi-tasking, sorry can't make a specific recommendation.

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 07:25 AM
Thank you for the suggestions, everyone !
I don't think I can leave my hair in braids for the whole trip, my hair does not dry when braided and that makes my scalp totally freak out. I must wash every four or five days anyway or my scalp pitches a fit.
I at least need to rinse the salt water out and condition. Hopefully I will find something that let's a wide toothed comb slide through my hair easier than it does now. I currently use the Garnier Triple Nutrition and I really like it, but my hair type makes detangling difficult. I think I might buy a coney conditioner on the way home today and do a trial run. See if it doesn't make detangling easier. Cones usually leave my hair limp and lifeless but I will just bun it for work tomorrow anyway.

morecowbell
April 4th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I would say that cones definitely will make it easier for you to detangle. I have very tangle prone hair and when I use cones, combing out of the shower is a dream! :) Another added bonus for cones is that they'll help protect your hair from the damaging effects of salt, sun, and wind.
I have two recommendations (lol, I actually have these products in my closet because I don't use cones anymore) if you stop at a Walmart, they have the new Suave line of 'salon' products, and both the Sleek conditioner, and the Almond and Shea Butter have a good bit of cones, and made detangling a dream for me.
Hth, let us know how cones work for you! :)

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I would say that cones definitely will make it easier for you to detangle. I have very tangle prone hair and when I use cones, combing out of the shower is a dream! :) Another added bonus for cones is that they'll help protect your hair from the damaging effects of salt, sun, and wind.
I have two recommendations (lol, I actually have these products in my closet because I don't use cones anymore) if you stop at a Walmart, they have the new Suave line of 'salon' products, and both the Sleek conditioner, and the Almond and Shea Butter have a good bit of cones, and made detangling a dream for me.
Hth, let us know how cones work for you! :)

I pass Walmart on the way home, must rememebr to stop and buy some. Thanks !!!!

kwaniesiam
April 4th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Wet your hair down thoroughly with fresh, clean water before going in the ocean. Your hair will soak up less of the salt water that way. Also works for chlorine pools.

Kaijah
April 4th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Kinky Curly Knot Today on top of the GFTN. KCNT is a dream detangler for me - spreading some in my hair after my regular leave in condish usually keeps me from getting terrible tangles. Nothing *totally* keeps them away, but it definitely took me a step in the right direction.
If I do get a bad knot, I usually get those stupid little tight knots of 4-5 hairs, that gnarl everything up around it. A blob of KCNT on the knot lets me basically pet it out (just sliding my fingers in a downward petting/smoothing motion from the knotted strands down to the ends).

I dunno about the coney serums/condish. My hair doesn't agree with them, so I can't really give you a comparison there.

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
So, just for the sake of experimenting, I just looted my teenage daughter's bathroom and found some super coney conditioner. I was too lazy to stop at Walmart :) She uses very different products than I do and she just tosses what she wants in the shopping cart, so I never know what she is currently using. It's full of cones so I am going to wash my hair and detangle here in a little while and will post my results........

NorCal
April 4th, 2011, 08:43 PM
I don't know how much you've experienced snorkeling, but in case you're new to it, beware the mask. I've got a special neoprene headband that covers the straps and connectors somewhat on my mask and it helps, but my hair still gets caught at the sides. Putting the mask on is no problem, but you have to take it off sometimes while getting back on the boat (well, I like to do a snot check before I get back on the boat).

If you can wear some sort of hat or hood under your mask, it would help. I've seen lightweight skins with hoods attached (for jelly protection).

HTH

-Teresa

UltraBella
April 4th, 2011, 09:23 PM
NorCal, I am an experienced snorkeler and scuba diver, but I do appreciate your suggestions and I know that a lot of people have hair/mask issues.
The mask doesn't give me any issues except where the snorkel attaches to the strap, but I even have detangling from that down to a science. I always have my hair in a french braid and take my mask on and off quite frequently.

Update on coney conditioner : My daughter had Tresemme Moisture Rich Conditioner in her shower so I used it and even washed my hair upside down over the tub as if I were using a bucket, since that is how it will be on the boat. Lol. I was soaked. Anyway, detangling was much much easier. A huge difference actually. But, my hair feels weird. Coated and weighed down. My natural waves are blah. But, so what. For the boat, cones are a must I think. I can clarify really well when I get home !!!

HintOfMint
April 4th, 2011, 09:29 PM
Braids and coney conditioners will be your friends. I recently had to detangle 4 matted dreadlocks from my hair (what can I say, I dance hard) and Aussie 3 Minute Miracle was a godsend.

Coney serums also help. I use John Frieda Frizz Ease, but I'm sure others have other recommendations.

Deborah
April 4th, 2011, 10:42 PM
If you can stand it, allowing your hair to fully dry before detangling makes the detangling much, much easier. At least it does for me. Your mileage may vary.

Another thought is scalp only washes, as your hair will probably not be actually dirty, since you will be in the water so much. This might help your scalp stay happy, while making the washing easier and faster, and will not cause as many tangles.

However you treat your hair, have a fabulous trip!

Latte Lady
April 4th, 2011, 10:52 PM
You can soak your hair in fresh water first to lessen the amount of salt water intake. I used to do this so my hair wouldn't soak up pool water. While wet, comb in a light condish or oil and then braid. Helps prevent tangles from getting bad in the first place. When you want to comb it out later use a wide tooth comb and some child's detangle spray. There are lots to choose from. For those tiny little fairy knots I use a skinny knitting needle and a drop of oil. Looks funny but the needle can get into those little knots and loosen them. A drop of oil may or may not help.

UltraBella
April 6th, 2011, 12:46 AM
An interesting update on the coney conditioner experiment.........
While my hair felt kind of dull and lifeless while drying, it feels great today. Last night I bunned it when it was just still SLIGHTLY damp and went to bed as usual. I lost track of time this morning and hurriedly redid my bun (hair still slightly damp) and ran out the door. I left that bun in for 15 hours, I just now took it down to see how my hair felt. My hair is STILL slightly damp ! Good grief !! My bun curls are much more defined and curly than usual. I wear the same bun every single day, all day.... boring, I know...... and the coney conditioner is the only thing I did differently. I can run my fingers through my hair easier than normal and it no longer feels limp. It's a very pleasant surprise !

Phalaenopsis
April 6th, 2011, 03:19 AM
If you're passing Wall mart: FX Silk drops :) (got this tip from Torrin Paige) It is very coney, my hair doesn't like cones most of the times, but this one it likes :)

pepperminttea
April 6th, 2011, 04:11 AM
UB, out of idle interest, what is the bun you do every single day? :) (I'm very guilty of doing the nautilus a little too often.)

RitaPG
April 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
When you use silicone based conditioners it's normal to weight it down a bit at first, mine looks sooo flat after using it, but my face framing layers go back to their subtle waves the next day. I use Herbal Essences every other wash, usually on Sunday, both as a detangler, and a couple drops as a leave in on the very ends.
I know our hair type is completely different, but I'm also very prone to tangles, and cones once a week do help a lot :)

Have fun:flower:

Intotouch
April 6th, 2011, 04:21 AM
Hi. Rapeseed oil helps me to detangle best so far. Too much and it looks greasy of course but if you will be plaiting it maybe it won't be so noticeble? I use on dry hair, day 3 if i start to notice frizz. I have fine curly hair and the best conditioner that i've found to help prevent tangles is herbal essenses hello hydration. It is cone free. That's just me of course.

I tried the fresh water before salt water trick before, and using fresh water to immediately wash out my hair after swimming and really, it didn't make a difference. Not that i could notice anyway.

Good luck with your amazing trip and i hope your hair stays fabulous!

RitaPG
April 6th, 2011, 04:24 AM
If you can stand it, allowing your hair to fully dry before detangling makes the detangling much, much easier. At least it does for me. Your mileage may vary.
**snip*

Funny you should mention this. I can never detangle my hair properly when it's dry. Only in the shower, with a good palmful of conditioner on it :o

Oksana
April 6th, 2011, 03:55 PM
An interesting update on the coney conditioner experiment.........
While my hair felt kind of dull and lifeless while drying, it feels great today. Last night I bunned it when it was just still SLIGHTLY damp and went to bed as usual. I lost track of time this morning and hurriedly redid my bun (hair still slightly damp) and ran out the door. I left that bun in for 15 hours, I just now took it down to see how my hair felt. My hair is STILL slightly damp ! Good grief !! My bun curls are much more defined and curly than usual. I wear the same bun every single day, all day.... boring, I know...... and the coney conditioner is the only thing I did differently. I can run my fingers through my hair easier than normal and it no longer feels limp. It's a very pleasant surprise !

It's funny you should say this, i ran out of my cone free conditioner this week and resorted to an old cone conditioner...wow was my hair easy to detangle. Makes me wonder whether i should re-think my products :confused:

UltraBella
April 6th, 2011, 04:03 PM
UB, out of idle interest, what is the bun you do every single day? :) (I'm very guilty of doing the nautilus a little too often.)

As far as I can tell, I am doing a variation of a cinnamon bun, high on my head. Started off with a scrunchie, lengths twisted and then wrapped around the base, ends tucked in at the back and then pinned in place. There is a pic in my album of an updo from the front and that is my every day bun.

xoxophelia
April 6th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I have been having this problem myself as well lately because of frizzy waves and lint from a blanket that I need to stop using.... Today I tried some VO5 leave in spray and had no problems. Didn't even have to brush (this was after using the same blanket as well).

It is pretty cheap so I think it is worth a try. Have fun on your trip :)

CaityBear
April 6th, 2011, 04:46 PM
Leave in conditioner! I make my own (basically about 1/3 conditioner and 2/3 water...I also add in some aloe vera gel sometimes and a little bit of oil sometimes). I use that almost every time I shower.

TrudieCat
April 6th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I find that coney conditioners really help with detangling but only if I have zero to very little buildup on my hair. Coney conditioners are most effective for me right after a deeply cleansing shampoo (I use Prell with coconut oil mixed in - Prell is scary harsh on its own but it gets rid of the buildup and works well for me as long as it's cut w/oil). If I have any buildup on my hair, then cones make my hair tangle more. It took me a while to figure out what was going on.

Also, coconut oil spread through wet hair seems to help with detangling for me, esp on top of coney condish. But if I use more than a teeny bit I end up a grease monster. :p

Have a wonderful time!!! Sounds like such an amazing trip!! We will expect pics. :D

GALISH
April 7th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Coney conditioners will probably help you detangling but I think the best detanglers are your hands, it can take you even half and hour or more but it's worth, no breakage at all.
But the best way to avoid tangles is obiously wearing hair up :)

jojo
April 7th, 2011, 03:03 PM
My hair tangles like crazy but serum makes it a lot more easier to comb, also leaving a little normal conditioner really helps.

Tabitha
April 7th, 2011, 04:17 PM
My hair is fine "but a lot of it" and randomly wavy and these two factors mean it tangles a lot. I have to wash my hair upside down under the bath taps and even if I detangle before shampooing, I have to detangle after each stage of washing too.

I've had great success with:

- Tangle Teezer (even if I have to do the top layer and the bottom layer separately)

- Kerastase Elixir Ultime, used as a leave-in. (I was lazy and washed my hair using a 2-in-1 which left my hair massively tangled and feeling very rough. I smoothed on a tiny dab of this, and the tangles dropped out as if by magic and my hair was left very silky). It claims it's got superduper rare oils in it but the first 2 ingredients are actually cones: Cyclopentasiloxane & Dimethiconol. It might be good for your trip because the bottle's not big and you really don't need much.

Enjoy your adventure!