PDA

View Full Version : How to fix greenish brown hair?

Luna12345
April 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
My hair was light golden brown with blond highlights and I was getting tired of touching up the roots so i went out and bought a box of dye that was medium golden brown. It's been a week since i colored it and now it's starting to look like a greenish brown color. Any idea how I can fix this with as little damage as possible?

xoerincolleen
April 3rd, 2011, 05:55 PM
Maybe you could try one of those anti-chlorine shampoos for swimmers? I know those are good to get green out of blonde hair after being in a pool, but I'm not sure if it would work in your situation. I've never heard of a hair dye just turning green. Good luck getting the green out!

selderon
April 3rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Call the company that made the hair color. They should be able to help you correct it. The alternative is to have professional color correction.

Kherome
April 3rd, 2011, 05:58 PM
Many hair colors will green, especially if they say "ash" in the description. What I would do is try a wash with a red color depositing shampoo. These deposit VERY little color, but as green and red are opposites on the color wheel, the red wash will neutralize the green.

teela1978
April 3rd, 2011, 06:02 PM
I'd do what Kherome said :)

Luna12345
April 3rd, 2011, 08:39 PM
Ok, I'll try that, but where can that sort of shampoo? Do I need to buy it from the hair salon?

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 05:59 AM
Do you want a temporary fix or a permanent correction?

Luna12345
April 4th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Do you want a temporary fix or a permanent correction?

A permanet correction

Luna12345
April 4th, 2011, 08:42 AM
do you think henna might take away the green without turning me into a redhead?
The dye I used said medium golden brown....but it looks more like dark ash brown with greenish highlights...:(

lara grace
April 4th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Since your hair was blonde before it should fade some more. I have had the green brown thing before and used to use a Fanciful rinse in brown after every wash but it was annoying. I've found that 'golden' dyes can be quite green in general. I would try to fade the colour using Vitamin C tablets (google it for fading hair colour, my friend has had great success) or dandruff shampoo and then either dye over with a neutral dye or maybe try a henna gloss. With my greenish brown I just waited for it to fade and dyed over with a more chocolatey toned brown.

Anje
April 4th, 2011, 09:31 AM
I think henna would add one more variable to an already tricky problem.

Was this a permanent or temp color that went green on you?

I'm with Kherome -- you want something that will deposit a bit of red, but henna's too permanent and too variable for this. Get a red-depositing product, or maybe get a jar of red Manic Panic or Special Effects or Punky or some other vegetable dye, and stir a little dab of it into your favorite conditioner. Not much -- you just want a little bit of red toner that will keep it from looking green. Use your colored condish whenever you think you need it.

Alvrodul
April 4th, 2011, 09:47 AM
do you think henna might take away the green without turning me into a redhead?
The dye I used said medium golden brown....but it looks more like dark ash brown with greenish highlights...:(
If you want to put henna on your hair, you should research it very carefully, and be sure that you really want that reddish color. Henna is very permanent, and you are not going to get rid of it without a pair of scissors. You do not flirt with henna - you marry it!
I think that your best bet for a good result, is a visit to a salon, to ensure that those whose profession it is can give your hair the best chance.
Good luck! :flower:

terpentyna
April 4th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Why fix green/brown hair? I had to purposely dye mine green...:p

but on a serious note - You can wash (like others said) with a color depositing shampoo. What I used to do to renew my unnatural semi permanent color was add a little bit of dye to my conditioner (no silicones or keratin and such). You can get some red manic panic dye and mix it well with you conditioner. If you CO, it should work even better. Im sure you can do this with shampoo as well.

If it's a question of brassiness, you can go ahead and get some gentian violet tincture and mix *a little* with your shampoo or conditioner. I used to use it to dye my hair purple actually, a little bit of it helps to calm down the yellow.

Here there is also something called pigmentum castellani, you buy it in the pharmacy, it's mainly resorcinol and boric acid. Women use it in their shampoo to give their (usually dyed) blonde hair a warmer undertone.

Hope I helped. :)

talecon
April 4th, 2011, 10:33 AM
I read washing your hair with ketchup will neutralize the green, but that just sounds nasty - I'd go with the red shampoo lol

selderon
April 4th, 2011, 11:31 AM
I read washing your hair with ketchup will neutralize the green, but that just sounds nasty - I'd go with the red shampoo lol

LOL It might be worth a try just to say you've done it. And make hot dog jokes. :p

BrightEyes7
April 4th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I think henna would add one more variable to an already tricky problem.

Was this a permanent or temp color that went green on you?

I'm with Kherome -- you want something that will deposit a bit of red, but henna's too permanent and too variable for this. Get a red-depositing product, or maybe get a jar of red Manic Panic or Special Effects or Punky or some other vegetable dye, and stir a little dab of it into your favorite conditioner. Not much -- you just want a little bit of red toner that will keep it from looking green. Use your colored condish whenever you think you need it.

Couldn't agree more. Henna will not help in this situation, especially if you don't want red hair.

I think John Freida makes a color depositing shampoo in red, I know they used to. They do make a red glaze, though I've never used it so I can't testify to how it works.

Try going to Sally's and ask if they have a color depositing shampoo.

Worse case scenario, try going to a salon to get a color fix.

ETA: Or you can try red Kool Aid... but that would be quite experimental. I know it does tint hair, but to what extent I'm not sure.

Unofficial_Rose
April 4th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I'd do an overnight soak in olive oil first, then shampoo out. Quite good for chem dyes where it's gone a bit wrong/overdone.

ooo
April 4th, 2011, 01:42 PM
If your hair is just a little green, I'd rather go with a golden correctino product or a brown-golden semi-permanent dye

PinkyCat
April 4th, 2011, 02:02 PM
These girls are definitely on to something with just toning it with red for now.

I almost made a horrible mistake once when picking color to "mix" together to match my hair - I grabbed a brown with a violet base and grabbed another one with a yellow base thinking one would lessen the dramaticness of the other. Luckily the woman at the checkout counter noticed my choices and reminded me that "yellow and blue make green!".

I'm so thankful for her "eagle eye" and always try to figure out the base colors before mixing colors now to make sure they are compatible.

Luna12345
April 4th, 2011, 10:38 PM
thanks all for your lovely informative replies. I washed my hair today and the color seems lighter but still greenish. I'm going to look for those toners or color depositing shampoos some of you are talking about.......are they sold with the normal hair products at the drug store? I'm sort of clueless =(
unfortunately I haven't got a Sallys near me.

dollface
April 8th, 2011, 07:25 PM
the manic panic and conditioner idea that Anje suggested seems to be a safe bet and it wouldn't damage your hair.