PDA

View Full Version : Easy DIY Jewelled Hair Inserts (see album for pics)

shikara
April 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I figured these easy projects out because I couldn't really find anything around here that I liked, or they were too heavy, or cost more than I wanted to spend. Once you have all the supplies, they only take a few minutes, and a few bucks to make. It's too bad the photos don't really show all the true colors or sparkes:(

NEEDED:

- Craftwire (higher guages mean thinner wire. These are 16 I think. Make sure you can fit the wire through the beadholes.
- Wire cutter
- Beads - OOOOOOHHH there are so many beautiful beads...
- Nail File

Cut about 6 inches of wire. Put a bead on one end and push the wire down (use a hard surface) against the bead (to keep the bead from falling off). Snip the wrie as close as you can to the bead.

Arrange your beads, then shape your desired form. Bend the wire down in the same direction as the form of the beads. File the ends of the wire.

TIPS:

- Designs look more professional, and better quality if you use some metal spacers
- When choosing beads and findings, keep in mind whether they would catch on hair, and how heavy the resulting accessory will be.

Hope I didn't miss anything!

shikara
April 3rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Pics any minute - they're taking FOREVER to load!

selderon
April 3rd, 2011, 06:07 PM
You'll want to file the ends of the wire before you start.

Round nosed pliers are helpful here. Before adding the first bead, use the round-nosed pliers to wrap the end of the wire in a small loop. You can use another loop after the last bead for symmetry or just bend the wire at a sharp enough angle that the beads can't slide off.

16 ga. wire is heavier than 20 ga. Personally, I wouldn't go lighter than 20 ga. unless your beads are pretty light. If you're buying your beads and wire at the same time, test the beads on the wire to make sure the wire fits through the holes.

ETA: Shikara, those are gorgeous! Guess what I'm going to be doing tomorrow!

teela1978
April 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
what do you do with them?

shikara
April 3rd, 2011, 06:39 PM
I agree that round nose pliers are very helpful but if there are people who really don't want to buy too much, it is possible to do without - or they can borrow.

HOW DO YOU USE THEM? You just slide the wire through your hair, or weave it a little - whatever - and they simply decorate your hair. If you haven't looked at the pictures in my album yet, do so - it should make it clearer.

(I couldn't figure out how to post a picture, other than my sig:confused:)

selderon
April 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Craft wire IS pretty soft. You could form the loop around the end of a ballpoint pen or something of similar diameter. I always regret using my fingers as wire working tools though. I have wussy little fingers.

shikara
April 3rd, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hey, you know what? I think the wire is 'copper' wire. Hmmm....well, if anyone goes to buy any, it will probably be aside silver and gold colored as well. Michael's has it, as would bead stores.

HairStickler
April 3rd, 2011, 09:06 PM
I like your inserts, shikara. Great idea!

teela1978
April 3rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
I agree that round nose pliers are very helpful but if there are people who really don't want to buy too much, it is possible to do without - or they can borrow.

HOW DO YOU USE THEM? You just slide the wire through your hair, or weave it a little - whatever - and they simply decorate your hair. If you haven't looked at the pictures in my album yet, do so - it should make it clearer.

(I couldn't figure out how to post a picture, other than my sig:confused:)
Ahh, you didn't have all your pictures up yet when I looked before (only the picture of the dangles was avaliable).

Lianna
April 3rd, 2011, 10:29 PM
How nice!! I've actually done something like this, but I did loops (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=7001&pictureid=95492). :) I'll be definally doing the shapes you did! Thanks for sharing. :blossom: