PDA

View Full Version : How to get Moisture?

IcarusBride
April 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
I have a kind of newbie question, and I'm not quite a newbie anymore, but please be patient with me anyways!

What should a person do to moisturize their hair? I'm assuming it involves a good thick conditioner, but I can't figure out what kind of criteria I should use to find a "good" one. If possible, I'd also like to avoid -cones. My routine until now is Water Only and coconut oil on the ends, with ~once a week ACV rise and ~once a month clarifying shampoo and cone-free "intensive keratin" conditioner I got at Sally's. Still, the last 2 inches of my hair are very dry. Coconut oil doesn't seem to make it better anymore, just dry and greasy!

Please help!

Rafusen
April 3rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
I've had good results putting olive oil on my ends to keep them from that crackly velcro feel. Try that instead of coconut oil, which does have a lot of protein in it. My hair tends to react badly to too much coconut oil, so I only do that once a week.

selderon
April 3rd, 2011, 01:17 PM
This sounds like a good time to read Gladtobemom's article about clarifying. She's got some good self-diagnostic tips.

Othala
April 3rd, 2011, 01:34 PM
I would clarify (if you use cones) and then do an SMT (conditioner, honey and AVG mix) to inject maximum moisture into your hair, leaving the SMT on for at least an hour and under heat if possible. After rinsing, air dry and then when hair is still slightly damp, seal the moisture in with a light coating of oil.

Gilly
April 3rd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I would also suggest an SMT, it works wonders!

jojo
April 3rd, 2011, 06:48 PM
clarifying and SMT!

virgo75
April 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
Echoing everyone else on the clarifying followed by SMT.

Milui Elenath
April 3rd, 2011, 07:20 PM
I don't think you'll need to clarify again if you've done it recently. IcarusBride says she clarifies once a month and uses WO most of the time.

I second the olive oil I find it better than coconut oil however it still isn't quite enough for my dry ends although it does help. I am in relatively the same situation as you - WO with dry ends and I'm still looking for a better solution.

For a good conditioner I can only suggest you try looking for one that says its moisturising for dry or damaged hair that doesn't have the ingredients you don't want.

Greenhousegirl
April 3rd, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'd try the smt. but if its more of a my hair is just freaking dry and not an actual hair related problem... try regularly douse the ends with water let it sit for a minute and then put a few drops of evoo in you hands, rub together, and then smooth through the rough part of your hair (just the ends not the length). let air dry and tada! instant conditioned hair without greasiness!
I just started this yesterday and it works wonders! I have to keep it away from my scalp though, as i am sticking with acvw and bsw as co-ing is to strong for my oil prone scalp.

good luck, let us know what works for you.

annsue83
April 3rd, 2011, 07:30 PM
I tend to moisture my hair once a month using a mayonnaise mask that i leave in for a couple of hours and then rinse of with shampoo. does wonders for my hair. I always invest in a leave-in conditioner too!

McFearless
April 3rd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Not a newbie question at all! Cones definately don't add moisture, but traps it in. Cones don't work for everyone and another way of trapping in moisture is oiling. If coconut oil doesn't work for you I'd recommend olive. It is very moisturizing in my opinion. As a pre-wash treatment or a few drops as a leave in it works great. You might also want to try cameilla oil, it is supposed to work great for fine hair.

dawnss
April 4th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I would suggest that you make your own product that is moisturizing for your hair, does your hair like aloe vera, what other oils or even butters does it like, can you leave in conditioner? I know for me I can not use oil alone in my hair after I wet it, I have to use some kind of leave in that can be my own one which is aloe vera, shea butter, jojoba oil, and bioINFUSION moisturizing hair lotion or something else, regardless though I suggest that you try using leave ins. Also you may need to make your own deep conditioners or try some other ones. Why don't you try oiling your hair before you wash it, even though you are using a water only routine? I second the notion of having wet or damp hair before you put oil in your hair after you wash, that way the water moisturizers your hair and the oil seals in the moisture. Also try brushing your hair with a boar bristle brush, and you may want to lay off on the kertain treatment, use protein whenever your hair becomes too pliable and brittle. However, protein can be a double edged sword because if you use too much then your hair becomes dry and it breaks easily. Oh and check out the water only thread. Have you tried adding oils to your conditioners?

Chiara
April 5th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I found a leave in conditioner, on wet to damp hair, combed through when I detangled, was more effective then oiling (on wet or dry hair). I now have the tiniest bit of dryness right on my ends (which is damage and needs to be snipped off!).