PDA

View Full Version : Okay to use expired coconut milk on hair?

Lippytoes
April 3rd, 2011, 05:08 AM
Hi everyone! I've been cleaning out my kitchen cupboards and discovered a tin of expired coconut milk. Not going to use it for cooking, obviously, but I was wondering if it would be okay to use as a deep conditioning treatment/similar for my hair even though it's expired. It doesn't smell weird, at any rate... :confused:

What do you think?

Nini
April 3rd, 2011, 05:25 AM
As long as it smells and looks good I'd still use it for cooking:)

taliarose
April 3rd, 2011, 05:48 AM
I second Nini! If it still looks and smells good then use it as you will. :D

julliams
April 3rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
I would totally use it on my hair. I personally wouldn't cook with it but that's just me. Hair isn't going to get a sore tummy from it - go for it!

knoxkatie
April 3rd, 2011, 06:27 AM
I would use it if it hasn't gone rancid. You will definitely know if it has gone bad when you open it. I opened a can last week that was solid on top and smelled really badly.

Lippytoes
April 3rd, 2011, 07:25 AM
Hair isn't going to get a sore tummy from it - go for it!

Haha, this is true of course! :D I think I'll use it on my hair tonight!

Thanks so much for your answers, everyone!

jojo
April 3rd, 2011, 06:49 PM
Yeah id use it too, if your hair gets sick you know what to blame! :D

ericthegreat
April 3rd, 2011, 07:09 PM
Well as long as you're not cooking with and eating it, it should be fine to use on your hair. I agree with julliams................your hair isn't going to get a tummy ache/throw up on you! As long as it doesn't smell too bad and hasn't hardened up on top its should be okay to use for your hair.

annsue83
April 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
sorry about my ignorance but i didnt know you could use coconut milk on your hair!! thats a new revelation to me today. how do u use it though?

Lippytoes
April 4th, 2011, 03:05 AM
The coconut milk experiment worked really well! :cheese:

I just used the "gunkier" part of the coconut milk, and glopped some onto my hair, working it in with my fingers, making sure I'd got every bit covered. It felt moisturising but also gunky in a weird way... I also added some coconut oil onto my ends for extra moisture. Then I braided my hair in two braids, and went to bed smelling of coconut.

This morning: woke up with super soft hair. To be sure, it was really dirty, yes, but that was sort of the point, plopping on the coconut milk when my hair was really dirty. :D Then I hopped in the shower and CO'd as I normally do. The conditioner got all the gunkiness out really nicely, and now my hair feels super moisturised. It hasn't dried completely yet, but I do think this was a successful experiment. Will try again! :)

RadiantNeedle
April 4th, 2011, 03:07 AM
I hope you rinsed super well! All my coconut milk/cream experiments resulted in hair that smelt like baby puke >.<'

julliams
April 4th, 2011, 04:01 AM
sorry about my ignorance but i didnt know you could use coconut milk on your hair!! thats a new revelation to me today. how do u use it though?

Oh it's great! I get into this, then forget about it for a while but everytime I go back I'm always so pleased with the results. You just take some lite coconut milk and work it through your dry hair. I use a big bowl under my hair to catch all the drips and work them back through. This way I only use about a third of a can in waist long thick hair. Then you put it up in a bun and leave it for about an hour.

Then just shampoo and condition as normal. I don't get a pukey smell so maybe it's that I'm using lite coconut milk? Every time I find that my hair is more manageable and soft afterwards.

Firefox7275
April 4th, 2011, 04:12 AM
If you have any milk left you can freeze it for a future treatment.

Lippytoes
April 5th, 2011, 02:09 AM
I hope you rinsed super well! All my coconut milk/cream experiments resulted in hair that smelt like baby puke >.<'

I suspect that the fact that I CO was what saved me from stinky hair. I always rinse reeeeally thoroughly. :D

Lippytoes
April 5th, 2011, 02:12 AM
If you have any milk left you can freeze it for a future treatment.

Ah, very good point! I will pop the leftovers in the freezer right away. :)